Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 29th January 2015, 23:14   #16
BHPian

re: Chevrolet Spin MPV caught testing in Gujarat. EDIT: Will NOT be launched

I think the Spin looks good and has the potential to put up a great fight against the Ertiga/Mobilio/Lodgy. Although, most buyers will shy away because its a GM product, not because its any lesser than the other three.

Suddenly, this segment is really starting to flourish with some really well thought out products. I hope GM makes an effort and at least puts the 90 HP version of the diesel in Spin.

And, Spin also has an Active version, a la Lodgy stepaway, Ertiga Sporty and Mobilio RS. But the Spin active has a rear mounted spare wheel, Interesting!!

Check it out. Took this from Chevrolet Brazil\Spin
Chevrolet Spin MPV caught testing in Gujarat. EDIT: Will NOT be launched-capture.jpg

Here is another one
Chevrolet Spin MPV caught testing in Gujarat. EDIT: Will NOT be launched-mm_gal_item_c2_2.img_resize.img_stage._3.jpg

Ground clearance definitely looks more than 157 in this pic
Attached Thumbnails
Chevrolet Spin MPV caught testing in Gujarat. EDIT: Will NOT be launched-mm_gal_item_c2_21.img_resize.img_stage._3.jpg  

Last edited by KedarB : 29th January 2015 at 23:32.
KedarB is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 30th January 2015, 02:56   #17
BHPian

Chevys Indian strategy has been confusing for me atleast. India being a Hatch intensive market hasn't inspired Chevy to bring much options in that segment. The Spark is way too old, and everyone knows its a pepped Matiz. The Sail Hatch is poor offering, no one wants it. The Beat is the only real contender. What I cant understand is why Chevy wouldn't bring the Sonic Hatch to India ? It has the looks to compete with the E-i20, also has a Sedan version. Both looks so perfect, but sigh..
anand.shankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th January 2015, 11:10   #18
Senior - BHPian

Looks good, definitely, but GM will mess it up for sure. If they are serious, then they need to make sure that it is launched with proper engines like good petrol motor, 90 BHP diesel, very good price, good interiors, good ground clearance etc. Then only they have some chance to sell few against the competition from Ertiga, Mobilio.

Note to GM - Please don't kill the product before it gets launched with higher price, cheap interiors etc.
Old 30th January 2015, 15:48   #19
BHPian

Chevy is usually the latest into any segment, and their cars are unusually boring.
Also, their Chinese connection, sub-standard build quality, somehow take the sheen out of their lineup.
Imagine, Ford brings in their Mustang, and then the rest bring their muscle cars, and finally in 2020, Chevy thinks of bringing the Camaro
Old 30th January 2015, 16:14   #20
BHPian

Hi Tushar

Thanks for the scoop.

Its looks really good and I am sure it would give Ertiga/Mobilo, a run for its money.
The Interior is OK but the front looks really fresh.

The engine is a big disappointment and I hope they do better than that.
Old 30th January 2015, 16:31   #21
BHPian

A decent front look, large C-quarter window, nice alloy wheels, adjustable headrests on all 3 rows are few positives; while pull up type outdated door handles, awkward positioning of ORVM controls, stretched body are few noteworthy negatives.

However, the product is a late entrant and doesn't look exciting enough to dent sales of Mobilio and Ertiga. The reputation of GM with issues like emission compliance of Tavera, silently changing parts and poor sale of its vehicles also does not instill confidence.

Nevertheless, it is at least a better option than Enjoy for customers.

Last edited by GTO : 30th January 2015 at 17:21. Reason: Language
Old 30th January 2015, 17:23   #22
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Boss View Post
So India is about to get a proper and proportionate MPV unlike the sub 4m products.
Its direct competitors - the Ertiga & Mobilio - are both 4+ meter vehicles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post
Mobilio already selling well.
Mobilio isn't selling well. It's seen a consistent decline from August through December (down to a paltry 2,000 units). The market is clearly giving its pricing & budget interiors a thumbs down.
GTO is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 30th January 2015, 18:32   #23
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Thanks to Maaz Vora for sharing this video! Added to the opening post too.
GTO is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 30th January 2015, 19:07   #24
BHPian

Looks like another additions to the list of Chevy fails in India. I am usually amazed when my friends abroad are all praises about how good a chevy is and how much diverse and exciting their product portfolio is but it is a sorry affair this side of the earth. Hideous designs, under powered engines, sub par quality, boring and lifeless proportions and strange marketing via awful ads, it all seems like a messy situation for Chevy and the question is if we all know it, why not the management at chevy see the inevitables in our country. Come on chevy where is the sonic and the cruze hatchback, they are promising products, at least could improve your brand image if launched in india.
Old 31st January 2015, 14:41   #25
BHPian

We (myself and the missus) discussed about the Spin at length last night and the discussion turned out to be rather interesting and revealing, although nothing too technical was discussed -

The backdrop : The Beat is about to turn 5. We are looking for a replacement by 2016. Primary criteria for the upgrade was set as a tourer with a little rough roading capability south of 10 lacs INR. Accordingly the Ford Ecosport had been shortlisted and the upcoming Mahindra Bolero is kept second in line. The missus doesn't really want to part with the Beat.

The discussion & findings : In came the T-Bhp scoop of the Chevy Spin being tested in Gujarat. Broke the story to the missus and showed her some pictures from the Chevrolet Philippines website. She is impressed! I concur, this looks more purposeful than, say, the Honda Mobilio. Now she is okay-ish to part with the Beat but only in lieu of a Spin! She says the Spin would remind her of her Beat and hence she might not miss the cute hatchback that much. I'm okay with the 1.3l MJD/DDiS/TCDi in 75/90PS FGT/VGT guise. Having driven an Ertiga from Kolkata to Burdwan recently, I feel this engine suffices for my needs. The competition doesn't have anything appreciably better to offer anyways.
Then suddenly she starts to browse the other cars listed in the website. She is spellbound! The Sonic, The Orlando, The Trailblazer, the inspiring Camaro. Why are these cars not sold in India she asks? I show her the pricelist. The Beat 1.2 MT is listed at almost 6 lac PHP ~ 8.5 lac INR! Chevy struggles to sell the same car ( albeit sans safety features) for 4-5 lac INR here. Chevrolet Philippines imports its cars from Thailand, South Korea and the US. We check for import duties. It is 40% in the Philippines vis-a-vis 125% (BCD) in India. There are additional tax elements in both countries which takes the rate to 165% in India. So GM India cannot afford to import and sell the cars like its Philippines counterpart does owing to surreal amount of taxes here. Building the cars in question domestically will need substantial amount of investment which most likely cannot be justified for the cars in question whose price band is north of 10 lacs INR (low volume segment). Then there is the option of using India as an export hub to justify investments, but then again our neighbors, Thailand has beaten us to it already.
So, with long faces, we conclude that -
1. We are glad that multi-national car companies have set shop in India. Without them, we would still be driving our M800s/Altos/Ambassadors and Sumos. Competition, however little, is always good for the customer.
2. The Spin, if launched in India would be a step in the right direction for General Motors India.
3. It should be priced in the 8-11 lac bracket and be fairly equipped.
4. The Ford Ecosport now drops down to number 3 in our list. Upcoming Bolero maintains status quo at number 2. Spin is now the unanimous fore-runner if Chevy manages to launch it in time.
Old 1st February 2015, 15:05   #26
Senior - BHPian

Assuming GM doesn't dumb down the car for Indian market, it does look neutral - will not offend anyone but will neither irritate many either but I have to say it does look weird from rear 3/4 angle. Actually looks like a stretched Beat from rear 3/4! The interiors are too boring, sure they maybe functional but are too dull & drab. I just hope GM doesn't further numb the interiors from what they are. The looks don't work for me, it's just too plain jane compared to the Ertiga. Sure the Ertiga is no beauty queen but at least it looks like a proper MPV. If I had to rate the MPV's on looks I would say Ertiga > Mobilo > Spin.

GM's products lack that X factor and thats the reason for their failure. Since the Spin is based on the 'oh so boring' Sail, we can safely guess that the Spin's sales will go the Sail way too.

I think GM needs to stop chasing Chinese model's and go after the American ones. The Buick would be a good launch here priced between 25 to 35 lakhs.
Old 7th May 2015, 18:43   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

For India, Chevrolet might rename the Spin as the Essentia and it will be positioned as a premium SUV, reports Motor Octane.

Quote:
Chevrolet is looking at introducing the Spin next year in India, but one of our sources confirmed that General Motors is mostly to call the Spin as Essentia.

We have learnt that Chevrolet will be naming its MPVs after its earlier used variants on Opel. So, Essentia, Enjoy and Cosmo were variants used by Opel and now General Motors will use them as model names for India.

The Essentia or the Spin will be coming with a 1.3-litre diesel engine and this will produce about 90bhp of power and will come mated to a five-speed manual transmission. This will be a premium seven-seater MPV and it will be placed above the Chevrolet Enjoy. It will be made available only with a diesel engine.

The Essentia will target the premium MPV buyer and will be priced between INR 9-13 lakhs (on-road).
RavenAvi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th May 2015, 17:16   #28
RSR
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
For India, Chevrolet might rename the Spin as the Essentia and it will be positioned as a premium SUV, reports Motor Octane.
The Motor Octane guys are now speculating that Chevrolet will use the Spin platform to launch two vehicles - a 7-seater compact MPV (possibly called Essentia), which is basically the Spin, and a 5-seater sub-4m compact SUV (possibly called Ultiva - kid brother to the Captiva?), which is likely to be the Spin Activ chopped to make it fall under the 4m mark. The latter will get a tail-gate mounted spare, body cladding, possibly more GC, and other small differentiating bits, and will directly take on the Ford EcoSport.

If this is GM's plan, then India may never get the Chevrolet Trax/Tracker . A chopped, sub-4m Spin Activ will be Chevy's vehicle of choice to take on current & future compact SUVs.

If their speculation turns out to be true, then extremely cost-conscious accountants must be running the show at GM India. It does make great sense from a cost perspective to take the Spin platform and spin it off into a 7-seater Ertiga-competitor and a 5-seater EcoSport-competitor.

Will this stategy work? Time will tell.

Last edited by RSR : 8th May 2015 at 17:25.
RSR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th June 2015, 11:51   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

MotorOctane reports via an exclusive scoop that the Chevrolet Essentia (Spin's MPV version) and the Ultiva (Spin's SUV version) might be launched in the first half (or even the first quarter) of 2016.

The Ultiva might be under 4 meters length to take on the Ford EcoSport heads-on, and possibly the Maruti-Suzuki Vitara Brezza.

Quote:
Last time around for those who aren’t aware, Chevrolet will be naming the Spin as Essentia (for the MPV version) and Ultiva (for the SUV version). The Chevrolet Essentia and Ultiva will be launched in the first half or maybe even the first quarter of 2016.

Chevrolet is preparing to introduce these two UVs in its Indian portfolio as early as it can and both of them will be powered by a 1.3-litre diesel engine that produces about 90bhp and 200-210Nm of maximum torque. These will come mated to a five-speed manual transmission.

The Essentia will be a seven-seater, while the Ultiva will be a five-seater and it will have a rear wheel mounted on a frame at the tailgate.
RavenAvi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th June 2015, 00:22   #30
BHPian

3 units bought in for homologation.

Chevrolet Spin MPV caught testing in Gujarat. EDIT: Will NOT be launched-import-data-price.png

Zauba
Senna4Ever is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed