Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd August 2015, 20:34   #31
BHPian

re: Chevrolet Spin MPV caught testing in Gujarat. EDIT: Will NOT be launched

Those in the know please comment why the below article talks about Chevy Spin in the present tense?

The seven-seater Chevrolet Spin has a wheelbase of 2525mm, is 4360mm in length, 1735mm in width and 1683mm in height. The new Chevrolet Spin has a fuel tank of 50 litres.

The new Chevrolet Spin comes gets a wide two piece grille, beefy bumper, circular fog lamps and large headlamps. The rear end of the Chevrolet Spin looks rather simple and plane.

The new Chevrolet Spin is available in 5 color options- Mond Grey Metallic, Summit White, Black Sapphire, Switchblade Silver Metallic and Berry Red Metallic.

Source: http://m.indiatoday.in/story/general.../1/454863.html
Old 27th August 2015, 20:32   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

The Spin MPV has been caught on test by a Motoroids reader.

Chevrolet Spin MPV caught testing in Gujarat. EDIT: Will NOT be launched-chevroletspinmpvspyimage2.jpg

Chevrolet Spin MPV caught testing in Gujarat. EDIT: Will NOT be launched-chevroletspinmpvspyimage1.jpg

Quote:
When launched in early 2017, it will compete with the Maruti Suzuki Ertiga, Honda Mobilio, and the Renault Lodgy.

The Chevrolet Spin will be powered by a 1.2-litre 4-cylinder DOHC 16 valve dual VVTi petrol engine, good for 85 bhp at 5600 rpm and 115 Nm of torque at 4000 rpm. A larger 1.5-petrol litre engine could also be on the cards, developing 107 bhp at 6000 rpm and 142 Nm of torque at 3800 rpm.

The engines will come paired to either a 5-speed manual or a 6-speed automatic gearbox.
Motoroids

RavenAvi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th August 2015, 16:30   #33
Senior - BHPian

One serious question: when everybody already knows how the car looks, what is the point in hiding it when it is under test? Car which is all new and nobody knows, then it makes sense to hide it. But in this case where people already knows about car and design is available on click of the internet, I don't see any point in hiding it. Better companies do test without camouflage so that people will be able to look at it and it will be free advertisement for the car well before the launch.

Make sense guy's?
Old 28th August 2015, 16:34   #34
BHPian

The name Essentia somehow does not really strike a chord. My mind keeps relating the name to market flops such as Evalia, Enjoy, Venture etc.
I know this sounds plain foolish. But having a catchy name is very important. Spin itself is an attractive name, and I don't understand what is the need to replace it with such a strange name?
An MPV, an Essential for every family, so buy Chevy Essentia?
Design wise, the product looks as funky as Beat, but it might face trouble in finding buyers, due the same reasons as other unsold models in their garage. (Lack of focus, Marketing, Less number of Showrooms, A.S.S).
Old 28th August 2015, 17:05   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
The Spin MPV has been caught on test by a Motoroids reader.

Quote:
The Chevrolet Spin will be powered by a 1.2-litre 4-cylinder DOHC 16 valve dual VVTi petrol engine, good for 85 bhp at 5600 rpm and 115 Nm of torque at 4000 rpm. A larger 1.5-petrol litre engine could also be on the cards, developing 107 bhp at 6000 rpm and 142 Nm of torque at 3800 rpm.
Looks decent enough, far better than the Enjoy certainly. Like an overgrown Beat. Both the petrols are quite inadequate for the vehicle's size and potential passenger/cargo capacity though. The 1.5 might just about suffice, but then at what cost in terms of mileage?

The 1.3 diesel would do if they had it in VGT format at 200Nm of torque or better. There has to be a significant USP for this to compete even with the Ertiga, forget the segment leader. Keyless entry alone won't do it.
Old 28th August 2015, 17:09   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KedarB View Post
And, Spin also has an Active version, a la Lodgy stepaway, Ertiga Sporty and Mobilio RS. But the Spin active has a rear mounted spare wheel, Interesting!!

Check it out. Took this from Chevrolet Brazil\Spin
Attachment 1334285

Here is another one
Attachment 1334290

Ground clearance definitely looks more than 157 in this pic
Thank you Kedar B - the SPIN with the spare wheel on the tail gate does beef up its looks a bit.

A bit OT : Also thanks to your post i went up and looked a the Chevrolet Brazil line up and found another vehicle that made me feel, should be launched here, instead of or at least soon after the Spin is launched

The Tracker :

As a mini SUV in their India line up ( baby Captiva) - this could very well tap into the hot mini SUV segment here , some pics from the Chevrolet Brazil website , i hope sense prevails and they do launch it here soon.

In my opinion, the could have just beefed up the "Enjoy" instead of launching an all new model ( Spin) and alternatively launched the "Tracker" here - may be the guys at GM have statistics supporting the Spin instead of the Tracker.
Attached Thumbnails
Chevrolet Spin MPV caught testing in Gujarat. EDIT: Will NOT be launched-tracker_1.jpg  

Chevrolet Spin MPV caught testing in Gujarat. EDIT: Will NOT be launched-tracker_3.jpg  

Chevrolet Spin MPV caught testing in Gujarat. EDIT: Will NOT be launched-tracker_4.jpg  

Chevrolet Spin MPV caught testing in Gujarat. EDIT: Will NOT be launched-tracker_5.jpg  

The Observer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th August 2015, 17:29   #37
BHPian

The mini SUV looks very much like a bigger Beat, than the baby Captiva. What I don't get is what is the difference between a mini SUV and a compact SUV? They are already going to launch one compact SUV (Ultiva) right?
Nowadays this SUV segment got so crowded, we get confused about what is what.
I think both "mini" and "compact" SUVs would try to fall into the lowest excise duty bracket by keeping the sizes under 4m and engines under 1.2L petrol / 1.5L diesel.
Old 28th August 2015, 23:07   #38
Senior - BHPian

I've been following updates on this car for quite some time on the net, but markets other than India seldom focus on the third row seating so not getting a clear sense of how good it is (Third row). Will be great if anyone can share that information here.

If everything turns out as planned, I will be in the market next year for a MPV upgrade and I wont mind swapping this for our Beat. Chevvy has not disappointed us so far.

NJ
Old 28th August 2015, 23:23   #39
MSC
BHPian

157 mm of ground clearance is too less from the Indian point of view. The car aspires to be a MPV and on a full load of 5 or 7 people with luggage in boot, this car is going to scrap its under belly at every nook and corner. Hopefully this 157 mm clearance is for Indonesia only and gets bumped to at least 165 or 170 for Indian version.
Old 29th August 2015, 01:07   #40
BHPian

My opinion is if these are the actual specs of the MPV to be released in India, Chevy have lost the battle even before it began:
- GC of 157mm is too low and is more like a sedan than an MPV
- Typically Diesel engines will be most popular among MPVs and this Diesel motor seems to be seriously under powered with 74 bhp and 190Nm torque especially when it is fully loaded. The vehicle it self looks quite chunky and being more than 4m, I suppose it will be heavier than Ertiga/Mobilio.
- The design is alright, nothing exciting to be going for.

Hope Chevy makes some quintessential changes before India launch...!
Old 3rd September 2015, 15:21   #41
Distinguished - BHPian

Chevrolet is rumored to bring the Spin Activ to India in 2017.

The Spin Activ is a compact SUV and it might be called as the Ultiva. This will be competing with the Ford Ecosport and the Mahindra TUV3OO.

Quote:
This Chevrolet SUV is powered by a 1.3-litre diesel engine that will produce about 90bhp of power and about 200Nm of maximum torque. The Ultiva will be made available only with a diesel engine only and there shall be no petrols on offer atleast in the initial phase. The Ultiva will be manufactured in the company’s Talegaon plant as the American automaker is looking at moving its manufacturing base to India from Indonesia and also at shutting its Halol plant in Gujarat. The company’s Talegaon plant is equipped with engine manufacturing as well and that is one reason why GM wants to make just one base, which is in Maharashtra.
Name:  Capture.PNG
Views: 2968
Size:  436.8 KB

Quote:
The Spin Activ will feature the similar tailgate that we have seen on the Avventura. So, one will be required to slide the wheel frame and then pop the hatch. Unless GM re-engineers the design as it hasn’t been widely accepted by the audience on the Fiat Avventura.
http://motoroctane.com/upcoming/1793...iva-spin-activ
Old 7th October 2015, 09:39   #42

Found the car in ITPL, Whitefield, Bangalore entering the building where the GM design team is seated. Looks like a good car for 2016.
Attached Thumbnails
Chevrolet Spin MPV caught testing in Gujarat. EDIT: Will NOT be launched-img_20151006_143129.jpg  

ashscool is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th October 2015, 10:01   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashscool View Post
Found the car in ITPL, Whitefield, Bangalore entering the building where the GM design team is seated. Looks like a good car for 2016.
How big the car was?
Was it comparable to Ecosport, TUV3OO in size? 5 seater or 7/8 seater? Were you able to capture any more details?
Old 7th October 2015, 10:29   #44
BHPian

Looks like they did away with the horrible tailgate wheel design. It has bothered me no end.
Old 7th October 2015, 18:44   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by hybridpetrol View Post
How big the car was?
Was it comparable to Ecosport, TUV3OO in size? 5 seater or 7/8 seater? Were you able to capture any more details?
It is clearly a 7 seater because they have made the boot narrow. It has an uncanny resemblance with the Chevrolet Beat in terms of theme and design elements. For example the roof rails, the seats, the instrument cluster colours the headlights and some parts of the front design.

Unfortunately I don't have more photos for you as they were not letting us click any pictures.
In my guess, this is what you can expect
ashscool is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks