Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th August 2006, 08:26   #16
BHPian

aveo and fiesta both are underpowered when compared to baleno and still are highly prced...so i myself went for a baleno. according to my friends in maruthi showroom its the esteem thats going to be phased out and new sedan will be brought in at a price tag of around 8 lakhs and baleno will become the entry level sedan for maruti..... so its better to go for baleno also the ford spare parts and gm service costs are not cheap...
Old 20th August 2006, 10:50   #17
Team-BHP Support

Other day I looked down my 3rd floor office window and saw an Octy, my Baleno, a body kitted lancer and a Fiesta all parked side by side. The Octy and Baleno looked luxurious and big, while the lancer and fiesta looked like mere wannabes. May be it is the long/wide hood and black color, Baleno looks more distinguished than Fiesta. Damn! I should have clicked it, I do have a camera at work.
Old 20th August 2006, 12:34   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO
Not really. Except for the Zen, Maruti really hasnt discontinued anything. They are still selling the 800 (20 years), Omni (20 years), Gypsy (close to 20 years) and Esteem (15 years).
In a sense, Zen too isn't discontinued. New Zen is coming in a 2-3 months and the current Zen is still selling in many parts of India. Before it completely goes out of scene, new Zen will pop-up! So, apart from 1000, no Maruti is ever discontinued.
Old 20th August 2006, 13:22   #19
Senior - BHPian

Because no maruti is ever discontinued is why you get a VFM car that no other manufactuerer can provide.

Lightweight car and a VFm price makes a perfect city car which can be replaced every 2-3 years.
Old 20th August 2006, 13:55   #20
Senior - BHPian

@yeis: The Maruti 1000 still soldiers on as the esteem. Same platform, same design. Perhaps what would be more appropriate is that Maruti has never discontinued a PLATFORM till date, except the zen.

The Baleno is a fantastic car, but it doesn't command as high a high resale value when compared to the City. 2000 model Balenos, which were being sold for 8.3 (just about the same as City's were being sold for back then) lacs, are now going for about 2.2 in the used car market. A 2000 model City 1.5 still retails for about 3-3.5, depending upon condition.

The best resale values of the brands in general are probably as follows;

1) Maruti (Hatches)
2) Honda (Sedans)
3) Toyota (MUV- Qualis still enjoys a premium)
4) Hyundai (Overall)

Some of the lowest resale value brands are Tata (SUV/MUV), Fiat, and Chevy. That forrester was a resale disaster.
Old 20th August 2006, 14:25   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The Baleno is a fantastic car, but it doesn't command as high a high resale value when compared to the City. 2000 model Balenos, which were being sold for 8.3 (just about the same as City's were being sold for back then) lacs, are now going for about 2.2 in the used car market. A 2000 model City 1.5 still retails for about 3-3.5, depending upon condition.
There could be another reason for that. When people look at buying 2nd hand Balenos these days, they don't consider the 8 lakh price tag the car used to have. When a brand new Baleno can be bought for 6.5 lakhs, why pay 3-3.5 for a 5 year old car?

The OHCs were discontinued while they were still pirced around 8-9 lakhs. So relatively speaking, a 2nd hand car would fetch you a lot more.

Had the Baleno been discontinued along with the OHC, resale value "might" have been better.

Shan2nu
Old 20th August 2006, 16:35   #22
Senior - BHPian

@Shan2nu: True. But I doubt that the resale would be better even if it had been discontinued. The Altura has been discontinued, and the resale prices make the owners cry. Resale prices are holding true only in case of the city. The Accord prices crash fast. For exmple, a 2000 model accord, 2.4 MT (with long, rectangle headlamps) retails for about 6L. Depending upon condition. The Accords were launched for about 18 then, on a premium...

So, it ain't necessary for all models under a same brand to hold proper resale value JUST because of the brand name...Another example is the Elantra. Hyundai enjoys good resale values in case of Santros and to some extent Accents, but the Elantras have bombed. Drastically. 1 year old Elantras go for 6...jeez....
Old 21st August 2006, 11:38   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by veyron1
The best resale values of the brands in general are probably as follows;

1) Maruti (Hatches)
2) Honda (Sedans)
3) Toyota (MUV- Qualis still enjoys a premium)
4) Hyundai (Overall)
Hyundai Santro competes head-to-head with Maruti hatches. Mahindra Scorpio. Skoda Octavia.

Quote:
Some of the lowest resale value brands are Tata (SUV/MUV), Fiat, and Chevy. That forrester was a resale disaster.
Add all Tata petrol, Ford, Opel (concludes complete GM family), HM, Hyundai Sonata.
Old 21st August 2006, 16:35   #24
BHPian

Quote:
@Shan2nu: True. But I doubt that the resale would be better even if it had been discontinued. The Altura has been discontinued, and the resale prices make the owners cry.
The Altura has not been discontinued; it is built to order now.
Old 21st August 2006, 16:57   #25
Ram
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pradkumar
The Altura has not been discontinued; it is built to order now.
That's true. The Officiating Works Manager of Sai Service Stn. Ltd., Pune, told me the same thing. You can place a specific order for the Baleno-Altura combi and it will be manufactured for you and delivered. Of course, this will mean some delays.
And just to corroborate my new Baleno's manual still mentions the Altura and its dimensions.

Ram
Old 21st August 2006, 16:58   #26
Senior - BHPian

@Pradkumar; Last I heard, the Altura had stopped production. And I don't think many will be lusting after it now, even if it was made to order. Even the Gypsy King has not been discontinued, but is being made only for the armed forces now. Still goes by "made to order", and is not available to the public. 2 months waiting period, when enquired to a dealer.

@yeis: The octy's resale prices are fluctuating. Fast. The santro only competes with the Wagon R in terms of resale value. The Zen holds slightly better. Alto too. Strictly speaking in terms of depreciation. And this might sound striking, but HM holds certain prestige in terms of resale, down south. Ambys still command decent resale, and hold value pretty well.
Old 21st August 2006, 17:20   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by filcord
Beg to differ, drove mine with three kids at the back from Pune to Goa. I touched 125 kph very often and stayed at 110-120 for long periods of time. Kids slept almost all through the way, Wife tried her best to stay awake only for fear I would get dozy by myself. That is real comfort and speed for you.
Same here. Recently covered 200kms in approx 2 hrs 15mins .. lots of stretches hovering between 120/130 to 150kmph ..
I did feel, as some others have reported, that at around the 120 mark, there is a small window of speed, when there is a slight front end lift and the steering tends to float somewhat. However as the speed builds up this goes away completely. At 125+ it is very confidence inspiring and feels pretty much planted.
ps: I'm running 185/65 tyres.
Old 21st August 2006, 17:20   #28
BHPian

Quote:
@Pradkumar; Last I heard, the Altura had stopped production. And I don't think many will be lusting after it now, even if it was made to order.
I recently read about a doctor who wanted a reliable, affordable, and VFM estate car and he went for a built-to-order Altura knowing that it is a reliable product from the Maruti stable. He probably didn't think that the most selling current estate car around was 'reliable' enough.
Old 21st August 2006, 17:28   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by islero
My dad was asking me this same question, and I gave him the same answer: they might be phasing out the car in a few months, so it is better to avoid the car unless you are a performance freak or a Baleno fan.
Islero the pre Mpfi ones where good , but mpfi ones, doesnt really feel powerful ...it feels a bit sluggish I mean it doesnt feel as lively as Ford Ikon 1.6 or Palio 1.6 or for that matter its older one.
Old 21st August 2006, 17:35   #30
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxbhp
Islero the pre Mpfi ones where good , but mpfi ones, doesnt really feel powerful ...it feels a bit sluggish I mean it doesnt feel as lively as Ford Ikon 1.6 or Palio 1.6 or for that matter its older one.
Pre-MPFI!!! Do you mean pre-BS-III? I don't think there was a carb Balneo.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks