Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 6th February 2015, 15:47   #31
D4D
BHPian

Re: January 2015 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis

The initial excitement for the Mobilio seems to have gone. Only reason: Cost cutting.

Why is Verna's production dwindling? Are they gearing up for the refreshed Verna soon?

Toyota grows slowly and steadily as Etios and Liva aren't so impressive. Wonder what will happen in the Vios and Yaris come in.

Take the duster away and the teacher can't continue teaching. That's the case with Renault.

One Diesel Engine. It can change the game. Forever. Yes, I'm referring to the Honda city. Being slightly more expensive (and less powerful) than the Verna, Vento and Rapid, it puts up sales numbers which is about three times Verna, Rapid and Vento combined.
D4D is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th February 2015, 16:14   #32
BHPian

As a prospective customer of the C1 segment, I am disappointed by the Zest numbers. Even after taking into account the market’s initial apprehension towards a new turbo petrol engine from Tata, the Zest should’ve made it to the 3500-4000 territory. After all, it has also got the fabulous diesel engine mated to the AMT, which also gives it a first mover advantage. I hope that in the coming months, the Zest (and the Bolt), clock the numbers it deserves. Also good to see Tata move a spot up.
Swapnil4585 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th February 2015, 16:17   #33
BHPian

Believe it or not: Oldies namely the Omni & Bolero sell more than Chevrolet, Datsun, Fiat, Nissan, Renault, Skoda combined & Ford's Fiesta! Team-Bhp's COTY Zest is slowly waving good bye! Those with Zero sales: Captiva, Sonata, Teana, Pulse, Landcruiser & Prado...
Old 6th February 2015, 16:19   #34
BHPian

Maruti's numbers are just amazing to watch on a monthly basis... the sales of all other manufacturers from Ford downwards is 26k and only the Alto sells 22k... their 1 car (Swift + Dzire) sells more than no 2 (39k Swifts vs 18k for Hyundai).

This perhaps is a unique industry where the market leader has its position established and the others are running around for the remaining market. Once their new cars are launched, including the sub-4m "SUV", I believe they will cross 50% market share.

With all respect to the current data available on the thread, but yeah ... as pointed out earlier ... would be good to have GTOs commentary on sales especially for January sales as it could set the tone for the remainder of the year. These figures are statistics which are available on management punditz and then turned into graphs and charts.

Somewhere even the charts need to be reworked, for example how does a loss of -9.78403141% for the Zest add any more value than a simple -9.8% and so on...

A suggestion: can the raw data be shared with the forum and then ask members to come up with insights in order to change the format? I mean why does the format have to be rigid... can't it change every now and then? Am sure the raw excel data will remain the same.
avdhesh15 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th February 2015, 16:26   #35
Senior - BHPian

The most awaited thread is here.

It brings in sadness though.
Mainly for three reasons:

1) Tata Zest
A very competitive car but sales of only 2.7k where as competitors are blazing away is really disheartening.

What this will eventually mean is Zest would languish in the 1.2-1.5K territory in the near future.
Why? Tata guys have the habit of losing steam, focus and push for a vehicle of 6 months vintage. So, if the momentum isnt gained now, I doubt if it ever will be.

The silver lining though is the Manza sales. A very very competent product deserved much better sales. Yet, the 2.5 K sales is a lot better than what we have seen in recent times.

2) Ford Fiesta and Classic.
Does 300 shipments in a month or a paltry 10 cars per day across the length and width of the gigantic country mean anything?

What was Ford thinking? Or rather, what is their term plan?
Where do the US giant go from here.....NOWHERE!!

Sad. Very sad to see this new launch fail so very miserably.
No real reasons for sales so dismal!!

3) A regular top 20er, Santro dies

The market is evolving.
The better products gets better and the laggards languish.

But the automobile world is a peculiar space. Here, sometimes or rather most times perception and brand image plays such an important role.

1) Dzire/Amaze/Zest
Which car did Team bhp vote?
Why? Because it seemed the best amongst the rest.

Yet, where does it feature in the sales parlance?

2) Linea/Punto

Fantastic/hoot to drive/fort like etc are some terms used for them.
Where do they stand? The image. And nothing else.

Some regulars and no surprises.
the Alto / Swift/Dzire/Wagon R --- They occupy the top 4 as if their names are etched in blood!!

The Hyundai have the blockbusters n i20, Grand i10 and even the Eon. They are happy, the Koreans.

The C segment war between the two Cs is going in the favour of the City.
V will have to get its Vendetta once the Solaris inspired Facelift arrives sometime end of this month.

So far, the mood had been sombre.

BTW, Aditya, another gem of a review. Rated in 5 stars!!
arnabchak is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 6th February 2015, 16:26   #36
BHPian

Hyundai really needs to focus on the upcoming Verna because the City is really stealing the sales now . I really believe they need to introduce features like the sunroof and the paddle shifters that the city has on offer otherwise its a game over for the verna.
nishchal316 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th February 2015, 16:35   #37
BHPian

Let's realize Fiat is not focusing on mass market, rather their focus is on serving and starving desires of niche/loyal fans as part of their entertainment business (PUN intended ) while focusing on making profits selling engines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Its depressing to see the usual laggards such as Fiat, Chevrolet, and the lot to continue their south bound sales figures.
Old 6th February 2015, 17:08   #38
Team-BHP Support

The stars this month from the higher segments should be the Corolla and Santa FE. Close to 1000 units of Corolla is spectacular, and even more impressive is Hyundai shipping 137 units of a SUV that cost 30+ lakhs!

And the legend (Octavia) maybe back, but the old warhorse Superb is the star in Skoda line-up. Close to 150 units is quite an achievement in that segment.
vb-saan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th February 2015, 21:09   #39
BHPian

Indigo+Manza selling almost as much as Zest, a difference of only about 288 units....

I was expecting that Indigo+Manza sales will be eaten up by Zest but it seems that's not the case. Apart from Aria indigo+manza is the only vehicle line in Tata stable which has witnessed a YoY% increase.

Sad to see a competent vehicle like Zest lagging behind and not even making to top 20.

I at times wonder had the zest been launched by maruti what would had been the sales number...

The sales and marketing guys at Tata have made it a habit to not learn from their previous mistakes and better it every time...
Gaur is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th February 2015, 22:28   #40
BHPian

Interesting to see over 80% month on month gain for both Datsun Go & Go+. Surprising to see a newly launched car like Zest figure in the Top losers list (Month on month).

However on the positive side, Tata has consistently increased it sales volumes by 1k every 2 months. Sep & Oct it was 11k, Nov & Dec it was 12k and now its 13k.

Hopefully with more push for Zest and Bolt it will move closer to 15k. Kite hatch and sedan should help Tata dethrone Mahindra from No. 4 slot and compete with Honda for No. 3.

Nexon launch later this year or early next year should help Tata cement No. 3 position.
damager21 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th February 2015, 22:28   #41
BHPian

Eagerly awaited thread. Monthly numbers are always fascinating.

Maruti leads the way as usual.

Hyundai seems to be doing well with five of its product in top 20. Elite i20 consistently doing 9000+ numbers. Hopefully with launch of Verna upgrade this month their number should increase.

Tata has moved one step forward in the ranking. But Zest numbers are great concern.

Honda including export number has made 19700 units, which is almost 100% installed capacity. Not sure how they can accommodate Jazz production line.

Overall the sales number indicate that the excise duty roll back has not impacted the sales number much. Perhaps the coming months will provide better indicator
AshBabu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th February 2015, 23:54   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
Zest failure does not surprise me. Our market is highly unforgiving. There are no second chances here. Once it is perceived a failed brand, the infamy sticks through the rest of its life and the tag takes the car to the grave. No matter how good Tata and Fiat cars are now, there just will not be many buyers. Fiat at least has some brand value but Tata brand has come to signify cheap and unreliable cars, not all of it may be true but it doesn't matter. More than facts, it is the perception that determines success or failure.
I disagree. People are waiting to see the car perform. People are waiting to hear good from the people who have already bought a Zest.
Even this evening, while I was stuck in a bad traffic jam at St. johns traffic signal in Bangalore, I had 2 persons enquiring about my Zest and that it looks great!

I feel it's the people who are a bit apprehensive to take the plunge. Tata Motors need to up their marketing/promotion.
Still, for a brand that is struggling to get over its image, the current numbers are OK, though a bit concerning. Once they get the supply of AMT kits, the sales numbers should easily cross 4K
balajisv is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th February 2015, 00:30   #43
BHPian

I think the problem with the Zest is how close the pricing is to its competitors. The top end Petrol Zest is about 25k cheaper than its equivalent Dzire variant and about 50k off its Xcent variant. The difference in pricing doesn't justify the difference in brand equity of the parent company. It should have been at least 70k cheaper than the Dzire to really make a dent.
invidious is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th February 2015, 00:38   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by invidious View Post
I think the problem with the Zest is how close the pricing is to its competitors. The top end Petrol Zest is about 25k cheaper than its equivalent Dzire variant and about 50k off its Xcent variant. The difference in pricing doesn't justify the difference in brand equity of the parent company. It should have been at least 70k cheaper than the Dzire to really make a dent.

I dont think the pricing matters here. I guess brand name plays a major role in this segment, in which Maruti is, and will remain the King.
Old 7th February 2015, 11:13   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarNerd View Post
Believe it or not: Oldies namely the Omni & Bolero sell more than Chevrolet, Datsun, Fiat, Nissan, Renault, Skoda combined & Ford's Fiesta! Team-Bhp's COTY Zest is slowly waving good bye! Those with Zero sales: Captiva, Sonata, Teana, Pulse, Landcruiser & Prado...
Isnt it a bit premature to write off the Zest? People are wary of Tata brand. However, more than the advertisement blitzkrieg the word of mouth from the owners would do more to dispel the negative perception the Tata brand seems to create. I have been asked by many people why I bought Zest instead of Dzire or Elite i20. What amuses me is most of such comments are made by people ignorant of automobiles, for whom car is a status symbol and their belief that Tata is for taxis.

I drive Dzire as extensively as I drive Zest. And I still bought Zest.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks