Team-BHP - January 2015 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   January 2015 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/160444-january-2015-indian-car-sales-figures-analysis.html)

NOTES:

1: Thanks to the team at Management Punditz for sharing these sales numbers with us!

2: Only cars that sell 500+ units (and thus, the relevant ones) have been included in the gainers & losers chart.

3. These manufacturer-reported sales numbers are factory dispatches to dealerships. They are NOT retail sales figures to end customers.

Thread moved from the Assembly Line to the Indian Car Scene!

Thanks for the sales-figures, Aditya !!!
The Ciaz seems to be slowly picking up speed - has come to 6K units, which is not bad at all. More so when seen in the light of the formidable competition (Honda City).
And the sales is much better than what its predecessors (Baleno / SX4) were able to achieve.

I think MSIL did well to focus on other attributes than engine size/power. So while the minority enthusiasts might crib at the so-so petrol engine, the actual buyers don't really care as
long as they get a big car with good presence and features. External looks are good & as mentioned in another thread, every time I am on the Kerala highway, I see quite a few new ones.

Its depressing to see the usual laggards such as Fiat, Chevrolet, and the lot to continue their south bound sales figures. Its surprising to see not a single Pulse to be sold, any particular reason for the same. Maruti truly is the leader in the auto industry in India with every model registering good gains except Gypsy. Sad to see the iconic Santro out of the list.

Miss GTO's commentary in the thread which used the summarize the auto industry healthiness.

Maruti continues the dominance, guess will do so in the coming months too with its projected line up.
Ciaz selling 6000+ numbers is a good sign in its starting days. May be few months down the line will provide better picture.

Hyundai are continuing their success story. With crossover and compact SUV lined up for launch this year, they are on the right track. Need to see the market response to the facelifted Verna.

Mahindra had moved to third place and Bolero and scorpio leading the way

It has been a great year for Honda. City has again established itself as leader in C2 segment. Amaze seems to have done good in this month beating Xcent and Zest. Honda should now be worried about Mobilio and I guess might go the Jazz (earlier released)way!

Tata have moved to 5th place. But Zest sale seems to be slackening. Not a good sign for them at all. Will they re-consider having them for the taxi segment now?

Toyota sees some volumes in- Etios twins,Innova and Fortuner. Also Corolla is doing good. They need to bring in new products to increase their standing.

Fiat - Less said the better, looks like they will be in turn into an engine supplier as their main business

VW- Confused but having hope on their 206 line up - CUV/SUV's and India specific variants.

Overall a good trend in the auto segment and I think 2015/16 will be a great year for prospective buyers as the choices in all segments are many.

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post messages that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further. We request you to post ONLY when you have something substantial to add to a discussion.

I would like to add to the statistics with figures for segment-wise market share over a period of last month, 3 months and 6 months. These numbers give a fair picture of each vehicles market share within its own segment and whether they are gaining or losing. Plus the percentage market share and overall segment-wise sales are color-coded to reflect relative position.

Segmentation might not be perfect but I have done it to the best of my knowledge. I have left out some vehicles that have negligible impact in overall market share. Have also highlighted (in yellow) top 10 sellers for each month over the past six months. Hope this is helpful.

Click on an image to enlarge / zoom:

Thank you for the thread but however, as Ghodlur rightly mentions:

Quote:

Originally Posted by ghodlur (Post 3639403)
Miss GTO's commentary in the thread which used the summarize the auto industry healthiness.

The thread lacks what made it unique - the detailed analysis from GTO and others. Of late, this is just a statistics thread and I think this have watered down the value of this thread tremendously.

Even if this will take few more days to publish, please bring back the old format.

--Anoop

Thanks for the detailed report.
Ciaz with the Zx+ is posing a challenge to the City, but City is also doing too well. So too the Amaze. But Honda may not be much happy with the Mobilio numbers, though it shows an increase.
Figo sales, shows improvement after the slump in December, then prompting one to believe that the model is getting discontinued abruptly. But now numbers are back at its usual level.
Bad for Tata that Zest is not picking up volumes.

Renault has got some serious soul searching to do. Koleos is barely alive (3 units) while the Pulse has no Pulse left!(0 Nos.). This is probably a first in the History of hatchback segment in India. AFAIK, no car in this segment has ever achieved this feat!

Thanks for the much awaited monthly sales charts.

Zest has dropped to sub 3K should worry Tata or they were focusing on Bolt launch, any which way its a very tough fight ahead for Tata.

Ciaz has done very well at 6005 shipments & so has City at 7667. Seems C2 segment has expanded well in past 6 months or so.

Sad to see EVO+Avventura nos which I think have gone down from pre face-lift Punto nos.

Quote:

Originally Posted by theexperthand (Post 3639419)
Thank you for the thread but however, as Ghodlur rightly mentions:

The thread lacks what made it unique - the detailed analysis from GTO and others. Of late, this is just a statistics thread and I think this have watered down the value of this thread tremendously.

Even if this will take few more days to publish, please bring back the old format.

--Anoop

I agree, and see your point. In the last 12 months, this thread has lost its popularity dramatically. GTO's/Mod's incisive observations on the trends is what made people flock by droves here. However, given our propensity to take words of others/seniors as gospel, it led to various forum members blindly making opinions and passing judgments about a brand/car without having any knowledge about the issue them self. Which, in my view, is more dangerous than someone having no knowledge at all. However, all this information is really useful to check on the health of Indian Automotive Industry and gauge the general direction, hence the statistics are extremely, extremely informative. IMO, I don't think I can access cars sales figures in such depth and detail on any other forum.

Also, how can GTO's/Mod's comments can continue to be incisive with the same trends repeating themselves ad nauseum "And, Alto increased it's monthly sales by 1k and continues to lead other Maruti offerings like Swift and Dzire while Bolero continues to punch above it weight. Honda's production numbers continue to flip flop, interesting to see what the next months numbers are. Ford is wasting its range of offerings in India while the Fiats, Skodas and GMs should just shut shop rather than pretend to sell cars". Story of every month.