Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th February 2015, 12:20   #76
BANNED

re: Unauthorized IND plates declared illegal in Tamil Nadu. Crackdown begins

All the defences of fake HSRP plates above are just staggering to me. It is simple -- the HSRP plate is meant to be secure, faking the design with the goal of fooling people is forgery and deserves to be punished. Just as printing game money (like Monopoly) is legal but printing something that looks exactly like a Rs 1000 note deserves punishment. And I am pretty sure that all the teambhp commenters above who obtained these plates from local vendors knew exactly what they were getting.

The HC bench deserves criticism on only one count -- they should have directed the RTO to start issuing the secure plates (unless they did that and it wasn't reported?) It's ten years already since the guidelines came out! There's no excuse for the delay.
rsidd is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 11th February 2015, 13:33   #77
Senior - BHPian

Just read this thread and I was in chennai all weekend with my KA registered car which has a fake HSRP as far as I know. I must have escaped being pulled over. I remember the Chennai police being quite strict about fancy looking number plates even before. I lived in Chennai for two years (2005-2007) with my KA registered Getz with had quite a funky font. When I was pulled over I just stated that I'm from Bangalore and nobody cares about number plate fonts there. That shut them up at that time.

I have attached a picture of the plate on my car. Can anyone tell me if its a fake or original? From what I understand there shouldnt be 'blue' shading over the IND and there are no safety locks. The reflective IND texted stickers are there on the embossed fonts though. Thanks in advance!
Attached Thumbnails
Unauthorized IND plates declared illegal in Tamil Nadu. Crackdown begins-img_5079.jpg  

Unauthorized IND plates declared illegal in Tamil Nadu. Crackdown begins-img_4915.jpg  

Old 11th February 2015, 13:43   #78
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fullrevs View Post
I have attached a picture of the plate on my car. Can anyone tell me if its a fake or original?
Fake for sure. The blue background and euro-style stars aren't in the official HSRPs. Given the blatant differences maybe you'll escape being pulled over, but don't take that as legal advice! More generally, unless you got the plate in/via the RTO, it's fake, no matter how authentic it looks.
rsidd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th February 2015, 13:53   #79
BHPian

Quote:
I have attached a picture of the plate on my car. Can anyone tell me if its a fake or original? From what I understand there shouldnt be 'blue' shading over the IND and there are no safety locks. The reflective IND texted stickers are there on the embossed fonts though. Thanks in advance!
The next time you pass though TN just get a sticker pasted across the blue part and you are OK to go.

The cops only have issues with the IND logo and the hologram.( As told by a cop to an acquaintance who was pulled over). The IND text on the number per se don't seem to matter to them.

Last edited by batterylow : 11th February 2015 at 13:54.
Old 11th February 2015, 15:48   #80
Senior - BHPian

Thanks batterylow and rsidd. With the issue being so hot I am surprised I managed to get by and I was really driving all over the city and also on the highway back and forth. Will source a white sticker immediately.

Which also reminds me, when I was driving through Sri Perambadur, I saw many political vehicles with gold and black lettering on the number plate and definitely not of ministerial levels. Guess they are just too big for the law huh?
Old 11th February 2015, 17:16   #81
BHPian

Quote:
Which also reminds me, when I was driving through Sri Perambadur, I saw many political vehicles with gold and black lettering on the number plate and definitely not of ministerial levels. Guess they are just too big for the law huh?
That question is rhetorical right?

As long as the "VIP" class exists we will continue to see incidents like this and life will continue to go on.
Old 12th February 2015, 10:01   #82
BANNED

Slightly OT -- the plate with the blue background and circle of stars, shown by Fullrevs above and very common on the roads in Chennai, is a "blend" of the Indian HSRP and standard European plates (which have a similar blue band on the left, with a circle of stars above and a 1-3 letter country code below -- click the link for examples from various EU countries). Indians have always lusted after American stuff, but I wonder where this recent Europhilia (in number plates, of all things) came from!
Old 12th February 2015, 10:38   #83
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsidd View Post
but I wonder where this recent Europhilia (in number plates, of all things) came from!

I guess a lot of people think it just looks cool - the blue band and circle of gold stars! No Europhilia at all.
KiloAlpha is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th February 2015, 12:08   #84
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altocumulus View Post
In Kolkata it is mandatory for new cars to have HSRPs. At delivery you get a slip to go the RTO for the same and get it fitted.
Did you get the windscreen sticker along with the holograms on the number plates as the pdf?

My dad has a 2012 Jazz for which he got the HSRPs from RTO but never got the windscreen sticker.
Old 12th February 2015, 18:03   #85
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyPope View Post
Did you get the windscreen sticker along with the holograms on the number plates as the pdf?

My dad has a 2012 Jazz for which he got the HSRPs from RTO but never got the windscreen sticker.
Yes you do get the 'self destructive' windscreen sticker along with the holograms along with the plates.
Altocumulus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th February 2015, 23:10   #86
Senior - BHPian

Cops just got a new reason to target car owners now. I just got a white tape from a fancy shop and covered the IND and silver logo on top. Can't be visible while on the move.

I've seen a lot of other cars as well who have just scratched their plates with a screw driver to remove the logo and IND words , some have even painted it black ( not sure how that helps )
Old 13th February 2015, 10:42   #87
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunphilip View Post
My Dad got the HSRP-style plates fitted on his EcoSport about a week ago in Coimbatore. The accessories dealer who made the plates also pasted a neat sticker to cover the 'IND' bits, as shown below:
Attachment 1337185
While this might save him from being pulled over, it does violate that part of the rule that says nothing must be stuck on the license plate. Let's see how it goes, he's running around in Coimbatore at present (and the traffic police are catching people there).

I wonder how the enforcement will be for vehicles entering TN from other states.
Although this is in fact a better way, I, while in Coimbatore a couple of weeks back, stuck a brown tape on the IND/ hologram

Mind you, the car traversed from Coimbatore to Chennai to Bangalore and back to Coimbatore and still was not stopped any where! We should eventually be changing the number plates.
zavegur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th February 2015, 12:29   #88
Senior - BHPian

I guess in Chennai city (or at least parts of it) the enforcement/crackdown is not very evident. Yet again this morning, I saw more than 3 cars and more than 4 bikes with the HSRP style plates and going past the traffic police and there was no bat of an eyelid. This is in and around the Porur area btw.
Old 13th February 2015, 15:45   #89
BHPian

I dont think, they check for the IND number plates in Chennai. That said, once they stop you they would go to any length to see if they can fine (legal or other wise). Once they stopped me at Panagal Park while my Vehile was still AP registered. When they found that they could not get anything, they claimed that the Plastic registration plates are illegal. I told them that they came with the car at the time of delivery, and have been running with it so long .

Generally they are lenient to that extent, unless they have targets to meet.
Old 13th February 2015, 23:05   #90
Senior - BHPian

I got stopped for the IND plates in Chennai today. Had to pay the legal fine of Rs.100 for improper number plate. Have put a white paper and cello tape over the IND and hologram now.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks