Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th February 2015, 17:10   #31
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Help me understand this right - regular plain white number plates are OK, HSRP ones are okay, but IND number plates which look like HSRP but are not - those are illegal.

Correct?

Makes little sense
The Govt for eg issues Voter's ID cards. Either you have one or you don't have one, but is it ok to have a fake card? This is just the same in my view.
Old 8th February 2015, 17:16   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Unauthorized IND plates declared illegal in Tamil Nadu. Crackdown begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Here in BLR, ToI reports that cops have raided NK Impex who are the leading suppliers for such duplicate plates. No word about targeting vehicle owners yet. Thinking of covering my IND sticker with a white label today.

The police need some common sense lessons. Will shoot a mail to the DCP immediately and ask for clarification. Here is what the features of the HSRP are

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikipedia
Features incorporated include the number plate having a patented chromium hologram, a laser numbering containing the alpha-numeric identification of both the testing agency and manufacturers and a retro-reflective film bearing a verification inscription "India" at a 45-degree inclination.
1. What we are using isn't a HSRP or its fake. Mine doesnt even have the hologram on it to qualify as a replica of the HSRP. It is just a design similar to the standard scheme across many countries and not only ours.

2. As long as Karnataka doesnt have the system of HSRP, they cant call anything as a fake, when the original itself doesnt exist.

3. Lack of common sense is so prominently exhibited that, countless cars can run with fancy fonts and unrecognizable numbers and they want to crack down on the IND plates.

This needs some clarification. If any cop flags me down, they will have a good time.

Last edited by audioholic : 8th February 2015 at 17:19.
Old 8th February 2015, 18:05   #33
Senior - BHPian

As per the motor vehicles act a number plate cannot have any markings, stickers numbers, figures besides the actual registration number. So how is Tamil Nadu government wrong in cracking down on the fake IND number-plates? Most of the time we motorists do the wrong thing, when we are aware that there is no official IND number plate (I remember my dealer even telling me this) and then cry hoarse when the authorities act upon it.

I am appalled that people are criticizing this move, stating examples of local language number plates and illegal fonts etc, even stating how they were forced to bribe policemen 100Rs etc..
apachelongbow is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th February 2015, 18:54   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by apachelongbow View Post
I am appalled that people are criticizing this move, stating examples of local language number plates and illegal fonts etc, even stating how they were forced to bribe policemen 100Rs etc..
So anything other than the number itself is not legal, correct? Then they can still crackdown on a large number of cars which have their favorite party leader's photo or symbol in them. I dare them to do it.

There is not a problem if they decide to crackdown on it. But give the public sometime to replace the problem board. At the end of it, if things haven't changed they could have fined the ones sporting illegal plates.

Also say I am outsider to the state, who gets hits by vehicle sporting numbers in regional language. He doesn't stop and runs off, how am I to register a complaint if I don't know the number of the vehicle? Same case with ones which show just the last 4 digits or things like BOSS etc.

This selective crackdown is what gets on the nerve of most people. Not that they have to pay a 100 now.
SchumiFan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th February 2015, 21:28   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchumiFan View Post
So anything other than the number itself is not legal, correct? Then they can still crackdown on a large number of cars which have their favorite party leader's photo or symbol in them. I dare them to do it.

This selective crackdown is what gets on the nerve of most people. Not that they have to pay a 100 now.
Two wrongs don't make one right. The issue of selective crackdown calls for a separate discussion, however fixing false IND plates is wrong, and it doesn't matter if people carrying party symbols are stopped or not..
apachelongbow is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th February 2015, 21:52   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Two wrongs don't make one right. The issue of selective crackdown calls for a separate discussion, however fixing false IND plates is wrong, and it doesn't matter if people carrying party symbols are stopped or not..
It is not two wrongs though isn't it? It is a matter of having unwanted extras in the number plate. Be it party symbol or IND wording?

Also why isn't time given to remove the plate or replace them with the standard ones? Is it a revenue making exercise? That's how it totally seems.
Old 8th February 2015, 23:02   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchumiFan View Post
It is not two wrongs though isn't it? It is a matter of having unwanted extras in the number plate. Be it party symbol or IND wording?

Also why isn't time given to remove the plate or replace them with the standard ones? Is it a revenue making exercise? That's how it totally seems.
Are you not saying, hey the politician carries his party symbol on his number plate so I should carry an illegal IND plate. Since he is at fault, so penalize him first then me?
Back to the topic, Tamil Nadu government is absolutely correct in cracking down on illegal number plates, and no amount of finger pointing will change that.

I agree with you regarding time to be given to replace the number plates, or a system of putting and tracking challans, I am not sure if its being done or not.
Old 8th February 2015, 23:28   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Are you not saying, hey the politician carries his party symbol on his number plate so I should carry an illegal IND plate. Since he is at fault, so penalize him first then me?
Back to the topic, Tamil Nadu government is absolutely correct in cracking down on illegal number plates, and no amount of finger pointing will change that.
No. I am asking for the law to applied equally for all citizens of the state. Be it politician or a common man.

The lawmakers are always immune to the law themselves.
SchumiFan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th February 2015, 07:37   #39
BHPian

The Story of HSRP in Karnataka!

Number plate tenders: Bidding firms in soup

It is an irony of sorts. The High Security Registration Plates (HSRP) tender called for by the Transport department has received bids from two companies which have been rejected in Delhi and Madhya Pradesh.

The two companies, M/s Romserta Technologies Limited and M/s Linkpoint Infrastructure Private Limited, bid for the HSRP project in June 2013. While both of them are in the running for the contract, it has now come to light that Rosmerta is on the verge of getting its tender cancelled by the Delhi transport department. On the other hand, Linkpoint has already lost its contract in Madhya Pradesh.

Reasons: Supply of substandard and uncertified plates, supply of plates from unapproved sources, plates being fixed at undesignated centres, overcharging. Further, it is also learnt the Karnataka Transport department had revised the tender five times to find a place for the two companies.

Meanwhile, in January 2014, the Delhi transport department formed a committee to investigate into the Rosmerta- led Special Purpose Vehicle (SPV) and noted that it had violated the concession agreement signed with the department by bringing HSRPs with no source approvals. In Madhya Pradesh, Linkpoint also launched an SPV under the HSRP scheme. However, even there, charges of fraudulent transactions led the Madhya Pradesh transport department to cancel the contract.

On October 17, 2014, the transport commissioner of Madhya Pradesh terminated the concession agreement signed with M/s Link Utsav Auto system Pvt Limited, a joint venture between M/s Linkpoint Infrastructure Private Limited and Utsav Safety Systems, on charges of serious violations with regard to implementation of the scheme.

The technical partner and supplier of HSRP technology to both the companies, Utsav Safety Systems, lost its Conformity of Production certificates, issued by the technical expert consortium of Automotive Research Association of India, from January 15, 2014.

The companies are closely associated with Vivek Nagapal of M/s Shonk Technologies, against whom charge sheets were filed under section 420 of IPC by the CBI BankSecurities and fraud Cell. Two directors from Rosmerta-Pankaj Madan and Sandeep Malik - are also directors of KKH Technologies Pvt. Ltd - headed by Vivek Nagapal’s son. The two directors also hold shares in Rosmerta. A third company in Karnataka bidding for tenders, M/s Shimnit Utsch (I) Private Limited, is fighting a legal battle in the Supreme Court with the State over cancellation of its contract, awarded in 2006.

Govt version

Transport Commissioner Rame Gowda said that the department is awaiting Supreme Court’s directive before it proceeds with the tender process. “We are at present maintaining status quo. We will take a call after the Supreme Court makes a decision,” he said.

The HSRP system was made mandatory by the Centre, after Supreme Court directives to curb increasing cases of vehicle theft and other discrepancies.
DH News Service

Need to Meet the ARTO and Seek Clarification on the usage of IND Plates in KA. considering that circulars of the ministry of road transport and highways which says that in the absence of implementation of the HSRP scheme, no number plates should bear any feature of such plates

and this is a story of the Plates from Punjab!!!!

Chandigarh, Jan 18 - This is one ride that motorists in Punjab are going to hate. Over 1.3 million motorists in the state have been given faulty registration number plates for their vehicles and the government, which had turned a blind eye when the fraud was happening, has now cancelled the contract of a consortium which installed the faulty high security number plates.

Through an order delivered Jan 13, the Punjab transport department cancelled the contract of the consortium of three companies who were given the task in 2011 of installing high security registration plates (HSRP) on nearly 5.4 million vehicles.

The consortium comprised three companies -- Agros Impex, Frost International Limited and Trinity Engineering Services. The government has however not uttered a word on launching an inquiry into the mess.

Sources in the transport sector peg the loss to motorists to the tune of Rs.50 crore due to the faulty number plates.

According to NGO Raahat Safety Foundation, the contract was terminated by the government following a series of complaints about the number plates.

One company has been blacklisted in two other states for faulty number plates.

The issue is not about the faulty number plates alone. The companies have compromised national security by installing faulty plates which do not even fulfil the mandatory requirements under the law. These do not even have the snap locks and security numbers, international road safety expert Kamaljit Soi told IANS.

Mere cancellation is not enough. Someone needs to take responsibility for this situation. There are legal and national issues of security involved in this. Since 2011, the Punjab government chose, for whatever reasons, to ignore the discrepancies of the consortium despite complaints of poor quality number plates without security features.

What if a vehicle is used for terrorist activity or crime? We have sought a CBI or vigilance probe into this, said Soi, who was vice chairman of the Punjab government's road safety council.

When the contract for the HSRP was given to the consortium in 2011, there were over 5.4 million registered vehicles in Punjab on which the new number plates were to be installed within two years.

The companies could not even complete one-third of those vehicles.

Transport department sources say there are over seven million registered vehicles in Punjab now.

My understanding is that the faulty HSRPs have been affixed on new vehicles registered in Punjab since 2011. Out of the original 54 lakh (5.4 million) vehicles, only a limited number have got it installed, Soi said.

Transport Minister Ajit Singh Kohar said the government will look into this issue and resolve it.

But the government's move just to cancel the contract and not take action against the companies and transport department officials concerned is hardly of solace to motorists who got the faulty plates installed.

We went through the ordeal of getting the HSRP, and now we are told that these are not valid as they don't even have the security features. This is ridiculous. Was the Punjab government sleeping for the last three years? Who will pay for the new number plates? Amritsar resident Ravi Soni told IANS.

Last edited by Sunilrj : 9th February 2015 at 07:42.
Sunilrj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th February 2015, 08:16   #40
NOX

Quote:
Originally Posted by katchkamalesh View Post
Based on a recent ruling by the Madras high court, IND plates have been now declared illegal and government officials have started to fine vehicles fitted with the “fake” IND plates.
I was just about to change mine to an "IND" plate. I presume that the IND plate has a tracker which will track the vehicle when its stolen. Is that so?

Last edited by GTO : 9th February 2015 at 15:28. Reason: Fixing quote
Old 9th February 2015, 09:06   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOX View Post

I was just about to change mine to an "IND" plate. I presume that the IND plate has a tracker which will track the vehicle when its stolen. Is that so?
I don't think so, the ones I have are merely metal without any tracking facility.

Tracking to the best of my knowledge would require one to have a tracking device with its independent battery supply , a SIM card with data access, etc.

Something on these lines.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...ts-inside.html

Last edited by batterylow : 9th February 2015 at 09:09.
Old 9th February 2015, 09:37   #42
BHPian

It is good that the government is finally cracking down on non-standard plates. It needs to cover all non-standard plates and not just the duplicate HSRP plates.
Old 9th February 2015, 09:47   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarrySky View Post
The Govt for eg issues Voter's ID cards. Either you have one or you don't have one, but is it ok to have a fake card? This is just the same in my view.
StarrySky, it is not the same. There are couple of differences. The Voter's ID card is issued by the government; I mean, the printed card is delivered to you by the government and it does not work like in case of a registration plate. In case of a registration plate, the registration number is allocated by the government and the printed plate does not come to your address from the agency, which is the case in many other countries. Secondly, a fake Voter's ID does not have a record at the government side. In case of a registration plate, this is not true. The number, which uniquely identifies a vehicle is recorded at the government agency and is given to the person. Only the printing is done by the owner. Actually, the best way is to let the government send the plates to the registered address of the vehicle, like in many other countries.

Quote:
apachelongbow, legally, the move from the government is correct; I agree. But I also agree with the points made by some of the people here. Even in front of law, each crime has a different severity. Murder is not considered at the same level as a petty robbery, right? This drive against IND plates is happening when more severe illegal things are happening in broad daylight. The primary aim of the registration plate is to identify the vehicle (unique identity). According to the law, the plate should not contain any regional language characters or numerals. If a plate is written in regional language, it defeats the primary purpose of the identification itself. Another example are those fancy fonts. All these defeat the core purpose itself (As good as not having a registration plate). While these IND plates are illegal, most of them are at least legible. So, this crackdown equates something in the lines of "let the murderers roam freely, we will catch the petty robbers". This is one thing which I am against. If you really want to make things better, fine everybody with illegal plates, which include regional plates, plastic plates (because the law mandates embossed metal plates), the ones where the font is not of sufficient size, the ones where the dealer stamps are pasted, the ones where the plate is fixed at a place other than the one stipulated etc.
A350XWB is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th February 2015, 10:00   #44
BHPian

All number plates either IND or not which are embossed are illegal as per RTO
Old 9th February 2015, 10:24   #45
BHPian

Uh...Guys?

I just found this webpage: High Security Registration Plates

Am I right in saying, that the website clearly states: "The Government of Tamil Nadu has decided to implement the project" ?

Then what's all this hoopla about crackdown on IND plates and stuff?

Can someone please clarify? Can I get an HSRP for my car in Chennai? If yes, what is the format for that? If not, then what is that webpage all about?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks