Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 9th February 2015, 10:35   #46
BHPian

re: Unauthorized IND plates declared illegal in Tamil Nadu. Crackdown begins

Another 'tughlaki farmaan' like many others. As someone rightly said above, the TN and KA RTOs are giving tough competition to each other.

I shifted to Bangalore last year and was surprised to see the IT capital of India still to catch up when it comes to modernizing the Govt. provided services. Living upnorth all this while, the HSRP was so ubiquitous even in comparatively 'IT challenged' states like PB, HR, RJ and CH, I had taken it for granted that this all might have started at KA. Alas!! its still seems atleast 5~10 more years when it will be implemented the way its done in all the above mentioned states. All I can see is they are too busy in devising new ways to make money

Last edited by vinayrathore : 9th February 2015 at 10:39.
vinayrathore is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th February 2015, 11:14   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourav9385 View Post
Uh...Guys?

I just found this webpage: High Security Registration Plates

Am I right in saying, that the website clearly states: "The Government of Tamil Nadu has decided to implement the project" ?

Then what's all this hoopla about crackdown on IND plates and stuff?

Can someone please clarify? Can I get an HSRP for my car in Chennai? If yes, what is the format for that? If not, then what is that webpage all about?
Sourav, the modalities are still being worked out!! They haven't implemented it yet.
slackyboy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th February 2015, 11:27   #48
BHPian

It is sad that courts are deciding things which are best left for policy makers and executives. I consider it an overstepping. There are so many pending cases and our judges have time for deciding such stupid matters.

Will the judge ensure that his "official" car with the red beacon has proper insurance, pollution certificate and registration and a proper security number plate.

Will the police conduct a random check for these on the car of a judge? Will the judge appear in court if he is found to be in a car with improper papers.

No. Because he is just using it and it does not belong to him. And the driver is an employee of the state - how convenient for them.

Most of the state owned vehicles (cars, jeeps, buses, transport vehicles) do not have the necessary paperwork or fitness to run on the roads but they ply. Many police and state vehicles drive around without the driver wearing seat belts. Many have thick curtains.
I once saw a police officer drive past a traffic constable without wearing a seat belt on the front seat in his white gypsy and the poor constable saluted him.
If i was there in his place, he would have gladly pulled me over for a ticket.
So it does not matter what you do, it matters who you are!

It is the common man like us who are made to bear the brunt of all the regulations of the law while the authorities go about making a mockery of it.

If the regulations are meant to be followed, let it be followed first by those who make it.
autobahnjpr is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th February 2015, 12:06   #49
BHPian

Oh for the love of god! Enough!

Get rid of your sunfilms! You & your dark sunfilm is responsible for increase in the number of women being raped!

Don't ask for safer cars! You & your greed for safety is responsible for ruining the common mans desire to buy a cheap car!

Don't bother getting PAN Card, Aadhar Card, Passport, Voter ID Card, Ration Card, Drivers license!
You are not a citizen until you can provide a Citizen ID Card, which we have not yet come up with!

Don't go out with your girlfriend/boyfriend/SO & celebrate Valentines Day! You are responsible for spreading the wrong message and whatnot!

Don't post anything about the government on Social Media! You are going to get thrown in Jail!

Don't let me catch you using the IND plates!
We haven't implemented the correct & standardized format of license plates across the entire country, but we are going to penalize everyone who we think is using some format deemed unsuitable by us!

What the heck is wrong with this country! Why are we being governed and ruled by a bunch of self righteous morons!
sourav9385 is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 9th February 2015, 12:37   #50
Senior - BHPian

How to say something is Duplicate when the original doesn't exist?

To everyone or to a person with common sense - why consider it as an IND plate until you issue it yourself?

Its way better than scribbling or writing BOSS !

Basically, the blame goes to the education system. If we give such an education which has NO use, and select people to sit on positions after the PASS in some exams - how can we expect them to act wisely? Again we are all tired!

Last edited by GTO : 9th February 2015 at 15:30. Reason: Typos
agbenny is offline   (1) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 9th February 2015, 13:16   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by apachelongbow View Post
The issue of selective crackdown calls for a separate discussion, however fixing false IND plates is wrong, and it doesn't matter if people carrying party symbols are stopped or not..
IMO, it's an incorrect stand, that :

a. selective crackdown calls for a separate discussion
b. it doesn't matter if people carrying party symbols are stopped or not..

A registration plate is either statutorily compliant or not. .

If not, penalisation is called for no matter what.

Since it appears to be a "crackdown", why restrict only to offending Ind plates ?
Old 9th February 2015, 13:23   #52
Senior - BHPian

Seeing a couple of replies on my post, I am replying here to all of them.
I am not for or against selective crackdown. We need to understand having IND plates is illegal as per law. So if there is a crackdown on the cars carrying such plates, it is correct as per law. Quoting that other people are carrying illegal political symbols, religious symbols or vernacular number plates, doesn't make it right. As a responsible group of automobile lovers, we need to stand by what is correct as per the present law.
PS: Most of the car dealers in Mumbai advise against putting up vernacular number plates, fancy fonts or this so called IND security plates. I am not sure how is it in Tamil Nadu. So if people put up such plates, in spite of knowing they are wrong, and then crib when caught by the police who is to blame?
apachelongbow is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th February 2015, 13:24   #53
Distinguished - BHPian

There's a lot of people up in arms on this thread about people being fined for using HSRP-lookalike plates. However, the TOI article states that:

Quote:
...circulars of the ministry of road transport and highways which says that in the absence of implementation of the HSRP scheme, no number plates should bear any feature of such plates.

Source: http://m.timesofindia.com/city/benga...w/46160494.cms
Having read that, I can see where they're coming from - they haven't implemented HSRP yet, but have shown the format of the plates to the public. If people fit unauthorized plates that look like HSRP based on that format, then after the implementation of the real HSRP, it'll be that much harder to weed out the pseudo-HRSPs from the real ones. Much easier to quash these pseudo-HSRP plates before the implementation, the way they're going about it now.

Now, before you flame me, I'm not supporting their approach 100% - there are things they could have done better (e.g. given due notification and a 30-day grace period, catch plates with fancy fonts, inconsistent sizes of plates/letters, etc.). All I'm saying is, there's method to the madness.
arunphilip is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th February 2015, 13:49   #54
BHPian

Seeing many things implemented in our country in a very vague and disorganized way, instead of debating the merits/demerits of the present knee-jerk drive by RTOs I have the following suggestion and hope our Transport Ministry takes note:

As Indians since we are permitted to drive our cars all over India, this concerns all cars across the country and hence has to be implemented in a sane, prudent & organized manner all across the country over a certain period of time that the govt defines (and not individual RTOs who wake up one random morning and decide!).

Therefore, ideally they could do the following:

At the outset, its best for RTO to outsource the whole HSR plate making and fixing to a REPUTED private company (like the Passport Kendras, lets call its HSRP Kendras) to avoid the gol-maal, bribery and inefficiency at the already 'over-worked/over-crowded' RTOs.

New Vehicles: With the registration charges of a new vehicle, they should collect the cost of the HSRP also at one go and after the RC Smart card is posted to your registered address, you then take the RC Smart Card to this HSRP Kendra with your ID proof & Vehicle and they fix it there.

Damaged HSRP: If your plate gets damaged in an accident etc, you have to take a copy of the Police report and apply/pay for a new plate at RTO. Once ready they SMS you and you take your RC Card, ID Proof and vehicle and fix it from the Kendra

Older vehicles: Apply/Pay at the Kendras for the HSRP. Once ready they SMS you and you take your RC Card, ID Proof and vehicle and fix it from the Kendra

Note:
1) For older Fleet/Commercial vehicles, probably they can devise a way as to who will be authorized to pick the plates etc.

2) For Classic/Vintage vehicles with the 3 Alphabet regns (Example- MEQ 5867 etc in Karnataka) they can either issue a new HSR plate with same number or have a separate procedure/numbering based on some criteria

NOW COMING TO THE IMPLEMENTATION. After the grace period of probably 6 month to 1 year for the complete implementation, if vehicles are caught with fancy/non-compliant registration plates (irrespective of the brand, owner or other special criteria that some Indians take for granted), THE VEHICLE IS SEIZED with a fine that will be based on the number of days the vehicle is impounded and left with the HSRP Kendra yard (During this impounded period sorry, dont blame if there is a delay in issuing his/her plate due to rush at the HSRP Kendra, thats the owners problem coz he/she had all the time during the grace period to do it).

On a closing note, this is a small test if the government & people are on the same page to implement such a program (the govt doing it in a sane & organized manner and the people accepting and abiding by the rules), which is in the larger interest & benefit of the country, thats when we know our country TRULY believes in all the chest thumping talk the govt gives and we the people have goosebumps listening to "That we are a great country and no power in this world can stop our march forward blah blah...."

Last edited by Haroon : 9th February 2015 at 13:53.
Haroon is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th February 2015, 14:52   #55
BHPian

As far as I know there is no original IND number plate. What the RTO drive is looking for the voilation of the regn plate format as per the MV Act, either w/ or w/o IND. As it is illegal to make \ use a number plate which is not as per the norms and the owner himself is aware of the fact, I dont think RTO should give any time frame to correct it. Since they were doing it as a "project", it would have been better if they publish the format of the proper regn plate as it will educate the people and the shops / dealers cannot misguide them.

Last edited by ::CMS:: : 9th February 2015 at 14:53.
::CMS:: is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th February 2015, 18:12   #56
Senior - BHPian

"POLICE", "DEFENSE", "FIRE DEPT", "SECRETARIAT", "MTC", "THALAIVA", "THALA" are some of the commonly found words in the number plates. If they can fine for IND, why not they impose fine on these? Especially when, the Police dept themselves know the number plates cannot have any additional letters on the number plates other than vehicle registration, shouldn't they be imposed double the fine? Why alone IND?
aargee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th February 2015, 19:00   #57
BHPian

Logically the raids does not make sense because there is no 'original' HSRP plates implemented in TN or KA, so there is no question of fake.

However check this yesterday's TOI report:
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/46160494.cms

The line in bold is interesting.

Quote:
BENGALURU: Police on Friday raided two firms allegedly involved in supplying fake high security registration plates (HSRPs) in the city.

The raids were conducted on N K Impex on Old Airport Road and another firm on JC Road. The first firm had even generated counterfeit plates bearing numbers of private vehicles of chief minister Siddaramaiah, home minister K J George and transport minister R Ramalinga Reddy. Joint commissioner of police (crime) M Chandra Shekar told TOI that the people operating N K Impex had absconded.

The raids come two days after TOI highlighted the danger such plates pose.

Meanwhile, there a lack of clarity among cops on action against people involved in this trade. "There is no clarity as of now. Our legal teams say the offence is not cognizable; we are sending a report to the RTO and seeking clarity from them as to how action could be initiated," Chandra Shekar said.

He said that at best these seem like traffic violations as the firm on JC Road n ever claimed it to be HSRPs. "They say these are regular plates and there's no need for RTO clearance to make these," he said.

The legal opinion seems to have ignored circulars of the ministry of road transport and highways which says that in the absence of implementation of the HSRP scheme, no number plates should bear any feature of such plates.

However, the ones being made by N K Impex and the other firm seem to have these.
Old 9th February 2015, 19:26   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bejoy View Post
Logically the raids does not make sense because there is no 'original' HSRP plates implemented in TN or KA, so there is no question of fake.

However check this yesterday's TOI report:
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/46160494.cms

The line in bold is interesting.

"The raids come two days after TOI highlighted the danger such plates pose"
I am at a loss to understand the so called dangers such plates pose! TOI has run out of news and decided to pick on a trivial issue. No one seems to care how legible these plates are compared to the fancy fonted plates as well as the tricky plates found on some vehicles, which are quite hard to interpret.
Old 9th February 2015, 19:47   #59
Team-BHP Support

In the meantime, I have an update. I got my new HSRP fixed. As in authentic HSRP issued by the Government of Telangana approved vendor. As with all things in this country they have already started taking shortcuts from the word go. As per HSRP guidelines they are also supposed to issue you a sticker for the front windshield. Here they have conveniently given that a wide berth! And no one is asking as people are ignorant of this requirement. When I asked the guy gave some evasive reply. Even got defensive and told me that "it anyhow serves no purpose because people without the sticker give replies like my windshield broke and the sticker is gone". I took it as his oblique message that this is what one should say if caught by the police!!!

Someone needs to file an RTI complain with the Telangana government to find out what is going on. The vendor won the contract and is now saving money on the sticker cost. Mind you, he is sitting right inside the RTA and doing this. You know what that means...
Old 9th February 2015, 21:19   #60
Senior - BHPian

Can somebody put up a picture of the real HSRP plates for a reference. Is it the same as the un-official HSRP without the IND stickers? How do the authorities really differentiate between them? Since my state has not implemented HSRP yet (as far as I know), can I peel off (remove) the IND stickers to escape challaning in other states?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by thoma : 9th February 2015 at 21:21.

Most Viewed