Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 13th February 2015, 10:09   #31
Senior - BHPian

re: Scoop! Toyota Vios caught testing in Bangalore Edit: it's the Yaris Ativ

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I remain amazed by Toyota India's awfully slow turnaround times. They'd taken 4 years to get the Fortuner here. It's been 2 years since this Vios was launched internationally. By the time it's finally launched here, the Vios would've been around in Asia for 3 years.
Aptly put by GTO even I think why has Toyota been so over cautious in bringing their world beater new models to India. It is a known fact that Toyota makes the most boring cars but they sell and by God they sell well (barring Etios and Liva atleast in India). Maybe they are happy with their cash registers ringing and their current sales. I seriously think they should come out with their new launches in India at the same time they do in the rest of the world like Hyundai, Suzuki and Honda. The Vios mentioned here looks one sweet car and can be comfortably placed between the Corolla and Etios. I am sure this car has the potential to turn tables on Hyundai Verna, Honda City and Suzuki Ciaz. It would be great if they retain the same stonker of that 1.5 petrol engine while making minor tweaks that bumps up the power upto 105 odd BHP and their existing 1.4 diesel with VG Turbo punching out 90 odd BHP.

Come on Toyota we are now among the top three largest car markets in the world. We deserve your new models and fresh cars.
Old 13th February 2015, 14:13   #32
Senior - BHPian

Wow...
A long awaited and welcome news from the Toyota stable if the Vios is INDEED launched.

The turnaround for the Big T is the worst among all big players and even if confirmed, I doubt if the Vios would hit the showrooms before Qtr 1 of 2017.

By then, Ciaz and City would have gone through a facelift and the New Verna would be out/in the process of introduction.

Time to tweak Etios and position it in the Dzire segment with ample changes to the interiors.
It is a good vehicle to retire so soon though.
Old 13th February 2015, 14:16   #33
Senior - BHPian

I had booked Etios VX on Saturday. Going to cancel that booking now.

This is with assumption that Vios will be available in next 3 - 4 months
Old 13th February 2015, 23:52   #34
BHPian

I think the Indian version of Vios should get beige interiors. Looks prettier than the Liva and Etios interiors at least. Seems to have decent space too. Let's wait and watch!
Attached Thumbnails
Scoop! Toyota Vios caught testing in Bangalore Edit: it's the Yaris Ativ-x1.jpg  

Scoop! Toyota Vios caught testing in Bangalore Edit: it's the Yaris Ativ-x2.jpg  

Last edited by Samurai : 14th February 2015 at 22:32. Reason: fixed the images
Starfire is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th February 2015, 01:37   #35
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post

Since the first test mules have only just been spotted- I expect a festive season/ Auto expo 2016 launch at best. Not before that IMO.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th February 2015, 10:56   #36
BHPian

That is sold as the Yaris in Oman. Has a 1.3 & 1.5 liter engine. And this particular version was launched June-July 2014. Has 2 variants in the hatch back too, a regular and a sports version.

Try the below link to the 1.5L yaris hatchback road test

http://www.drivearabia.com/toyota/20...hatchback.html
Old 14th February 2015, 17:12   #37
D4D
BHPian

Quote:

Hold your horses mate. There's no definite news of production being started. Toyota is very slow in expanding, they maybe testing this to launch it in 2017.

Think twice before making the cancellation.
D4D is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th February 2015, 19:49   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by D4D View Post
Toyota is very slow in expanding, they maybe testing this to launch it in 2017.
I think Vios will be available in 2016 Q2/Q3. I will most probably delay upgrade plans by an year since my current car would be fine for another 4 - 5 years.
Old 14th February 2015, 22:11   #39
BHPian

Quote:

Sir, would request you not to jump your gun. Firstly there is no confirmed news that the car is launching in India. Toyota has never named Vios in their future plans, so youu can never be sure. It is very much possible that they have imported the car and are testing it in India before launching in a different market. Isn't that a very common thing?
Old 14th February 2015, 22:22   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vigkey View Post
Toyota has never named Vios in their future plans, so youu can never be sure. It is very much possible that they have imported the car and are testing it in India
Certainly possible that Toyota might change the product roadmap (or Vios does not exist in roadmap at all).

Quite possible that it is just Toyota Kirloskar or some other firm providing "Engineering Services" by testing cars for some Toyota Entity.

From my own point of view, there is no risk in pushing car purchase to next year. If Toyota does not launch Vios I can buy Etios or S-Cross next year.
Old 15th February 2015, 11:29   #41
BHPian

http://www.greencarcongress.com/2005..._daihatsu.html

Though this is not the article, I remember reading on Times Drive almost a decade ago about Toyota seriously considering the launch of the Passo hatchback by 2007 that would compete with the Wagon R, Swift, Hyundai Getz and the likes. Years have passed by and no sign of its sister concern - Daihatsu or the slew of hatchbacks that they do have selling abroad to be considered of getting here.

IMO Toyota is content with its position selling the existing models and wouldn't want to shed its 'premium' image like how Honda has by entering the congested hatchback or entry level sedan segment. But looking at the City's success since 15 years - Toyota might have learn the lesson a little too late.
Attached Thumbnails
Scoop! Toyota Vios caught testing in Bangalore Edit: it's the Yaris Ativ-vga_bmw1_117.jpg  

Last edited by ciddharth : 15th February 2015 at 11:32.
Old 15th February 2015, 15:53   #42
BHPian

Quote:

Spoke to a couple of SAs in Nandi Toyota, they have no clue about the Vios or the Yaris. But many from the shop floor have been sent for training.

I even bumped into my SA in a restaurant near Bidadi, she said it was routine training, but I think there might be more to it..

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
Is it just me or are the front and rear overhangs on the longer side ? Doesn't look aesthetically perfect though not very obvious.

Last edited by aah78 : 17th February 2015 at 22:20. Reason: Posts merged.
Old 15th February 2015, 16:49   #43
BHPian

I have great respect for this car, as a hatch back its a proper pocket rocket, & as saloon a good car, fuel efficiency is very good, power & weight are balanced. I always imagined driving such a "affordable" car on Indian roads.
Trying to understand Toyota's strategy, they launched Qualis then followed it with a internationally successful Innova
Similar move with hatch back & sedan Etios, to Vios (Yaris).However Corolla & Fortuner have escaped this approach.

The older generation Yaris followed by the current models.
Attached Thumbnails
Scoop! Toyota Vios caught testing in Bangalore Edit: it's the Yaris Ativ-1.jpg  

Scoop! Toyota Vios caught testing in Bangalore Edit: it's the Yaris Ativ-2.jpg  

Scoop! Toyota Vios caught testing in Bangalore Edit: it's the Yaris Ativ-3.jpg  

Last edited by zeemmee : 15th February 2015 at 16:52. Reason: Adding stuff
zeemmee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th February 2015, 18:25   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anand.shankar View Post
Spoke to a couple of SAs in Nandi Toyota, they have no clue about the Vios or the Yaris. But many from the shop floor have been sent for training.
Got a similar message from sales in Mumbai, training for sales as well as service is in-progress but no confirmation on if this is for Vios.

OTOH, Price of Etios VX has been cut by 20k (On road).
Old 15th February 2015, 20:52   #45
Senior - BHPian

Amazing find! This is what we should have got instead of the Etios. Anyways, better late than never.

And I really hope the Vios get the diesel power plant from the new Corolla. It will be an ideal match unlike the Corolla.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks