Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 12th February 2015, 11:35   #1
BHPian

Scoop! Toyota Vios caught testing in Bangalore Edit: it's the Yaris Ativ

Mod Note: Our Yaris Report has been taken live at this link. Please continue the discussion over on the new thread. Thanks!

Spotted this car on my way to work today near silk board. Could not identify the brand as the logo was hidden or taken off temporarily. I guess this car was on its way to its showroom. By the looks of it, my guess is, this is a Toyota.

PS: Mods please move this topic to the appropriate forum if this does not belong here.

Scoop! Toyota Vios caught testing in Bangalore Edit: it's the Yaris Ativ-image00001.jpg

Scoop! Toyota Vios caught testing in Bangalore Edit: it's the Yaris Ativ-image00002.jpg

Scoop! Toyota Vios caught testing in Bangalore Edit: it's the Yaris Ativ-image00003.jpg

Last edited by GTO : 21st June 2018 at 11:22. Reason: Linking to review
SaNdY_AR is offline   (42) Thanks
Old 12th February 2015, 16:54   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Scoop! Toyota Vios caught testing in Bangalore Edit: it's the Yaris Ativ

Woah that's a cool find. It's the Toyota Vios to compete in the C2 Segment space along with the City, Sunny, Ciaz etc

Last edited by IshaanIan : 12th February 2015 at 16:56.
IshaanIan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th February 2015, 17:01   #3
Team-BHP Support

I concur!

Scoop! Toyota Vios caught testing in Bangalore Edit: it's the Yaris Ativ-images.jpg

Scoop! Toyota Vios caught testing in Bangalore Edit: it's the Yaris Ativ-images2.jpg

Scoop! Toyota Vios caught testing in Bangalore Edit: it's the Yaris Ativ-download3.jpg
SmartCat is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 12th February 2015, 17:02   #4
BHPian

Wow. Great find this!!! And an interesting one too. Is it here for some R&D purpose or are they actually looking to launch the car here. Any clue gurus??

If they plan to launch the car in India, it will be a real good addition to the C2 segment here and will definitely be much better than their current offering - The Etios.
Old 12th February 2015, 17:07   #5
BHPian

This car was not highly camouflaged, only the logo, tail lights (partially covered) and indicators (partially covered) and I believe that this is going to the showroom. Not sure though. The find was near silk board and I guess this was on its way to the Toyota showroom in Hosur road. Driver saw me clicking the pics but did not mind. Is the launch imminent in the coming months?
SaNdY_AR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th February 2015, 17:12   #6
GTO
Team-BHP Support

This is the 3rd-gen Toyota Vios!
Scoop! Toyota Vios caught testing in Bangalore Edit: it's the Yaris Ativ-11.png

Looks much, much more contemporary than the Etios! This is the sedan that Toyota should have gotten to India in the first place.

Expect it to be powered by the the Etios' excellent 1.5L petrol (don't think we'll get the variable timing spec) and lacklustre 1.4L diesel. There's definitely a huge price gap between the basic, outdated Etios & the new Corolla. The Vios can sit nicely in that space.

In fact, I'd go a step further and tell Toyota to reposition the Etios for the taxi market only, or to let it R-I-P. The Vios also has a racing version to run in the EMR (err, VMR) series .

I remain amazed by Toyota India's awfully slow turnaround times. They'd taken 4 years to get the Fortuner here. It's been 2 years since this Vios was launched internationally. By the time it's finally launched here, the Vios would've been around in Asia for 3 years.

Old Vios Thread
GTO is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 12th February 2015, 17:31   #7

Finally some hope that Toyota will launch a Honda City competitor. I am amazed Toyota didn't launch the Vios earlier. The Vios and the City go head to head in most countries in south east Asia. I have driven the current version and the previous version multiple times specially in Thailand and always found it to be a great car for India.
I can't fathom why Toyota didn't launch it earlier. If Honda can sell the City profitably here since almost 20 years why can't Toyota do it with the Vios.
Now to wait and see if they bring in the Yaris
tifosiboy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th February 2015, 17:32   #8
Senior - BHPian

They have a winner in Avanza, had a look in UAE. Will hit Mobilio and Ertiga hard for sure, along with a few sedans. Maybe, after that they may launch this.
Old 12th February 2015, 17:45   #9
BHPian

a-ha ... this car might finally make it in time when I change my current 2014 Honda City after 4 years (tongue in cheek)!
avdhesh15 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th February 2015, 18:02   #10
BHPian

Wow, great catch and this certainly looks like the Vios !

I must say i felt excited looking at it, if Toyota positions it right it can ruffle the C2 segment and give Toyota too a breath of fresh air

I looked it up in the SG and MY websites and with the optional aero body kit it looks even better !

The 506 L boot space looks great and the back seats are fold able opening out the boot.

some pics and the brochure

All Pics courtesy : Toyota Malaysia , Toyota Singapore website

Hope they price it right and offer reasonable waiting periods
Attached Thumbnails
Scoop! Toyota Vios caught testing in Bangalore Edit: it's the Yaris Ativ-vios_1.jpg  

Scoop! Toyota Vios caught testing in Bangalore Edit: it's the Yaris Ativ-vios_2.jpg  

Scoop! Toyota Vios caught testing in Bangalore Edit: it's the Yaris Ativ-vios_3.jpg  

Scoop! Toyota Vios caught testing in Bangalore Edit: it's the Yaris Ativ-vios_4.jpg  

Scoop! Toyota Vios caught testing in Bangalore Edit: it's the Yaris Ativ-vios_ak_2.png  

Scoop! Toyota Vios caught testing in Bangalore Edit: it's the Yaris Ativ-vios_ak_4.png  

Attached Files
File Type: pdf vios_MY_Brochure.pdf (2.23 MB, 1920 views)
The Observer is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 12th February 2015, 18:08   #11
Senior - BHPian

VIOS should have been in India way back when they launched Etios instead. Its never too late in this ever growing Indian market.

VIOS can nicely fit in challenging the City/Ciaz and eat into their shares. I am not counting rest of the cars in this segment.

Etios for me will continue as a Taxi car. since Toyota makes decent numbers there.

Good to see Toyota is finally serious to our market. Vios/Avanza/Rush and then Corolla/Innova/Fortuner should be their offering to be able to sell in our market
Old 12th February 2015, 18:11   #12
Senior - BHPian

There is a Hatch version testing of the same T brand going around Hosur-Bangalore. I couldnt get a pic.
svsantosh is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 12th February 2015, 18:13   #13
Senior - BHPian

Link to Team-BHP news article

If the Vios is launched in India, it will fill in the C2 segment void that stands between C1 segment Etios and D1 segment Corolla Altis. Engine options could include the 1.5-litre petrol that is currently in use on the Etios, as well as the 1.4-litre diesel that powers Toyota's only sub 10 lakh sedan in the country. Globally, the Vios is available with a 5-speed manual as well as a 4-speed automatic transmission.

Toyota developed the Vios to primarily target the Asia-Pacific market. Introduced at the 2013 Bangkok motor show, the 3rd generation Vios is already on sale in markets such as Indonesia, Malaysia, China and the Philippines among others. Currently, the Etios is priced between Rs 6-8.5 Lakh while the Corolla Altis is priced between Rs 13-17.60 Lakh, leaving a comfortable amount of room for Toyota to position the Vios in India.
Tushar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th February 2015, 18:27   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post
There is a Hatch version testing of the same T brand going around Hosur-Bangalore. I couldnt get a pic.
I spotted a similar hatch version on the NICE road today around 1:15 PM. It was on the opposite direction going towards Tumkur and hence I couldn't take any pic.

Last edited by arun_josie : 12th February 2015 at 18:47.
arun_josie is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th February 2015, 19:13   #15
BHPian

Vios is actually a renamed yaris which is already available in the rest of the world, it's available in both sedan and hatchback body styles.

Last edited by GTO : 18th February 2015 at 10:24. Reason: Typos
Closed Thread

Most Viewed