Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th June 2016, 14:29   #271
Senior - BHPian

Re: 2015 Volkswagen Jetta Facelift : A Close Look

Sometimes German cars should take some features into their high end segments. One of them is the left mirror camera (for indian roads) and the reverse camera. This whole parking sensor and audio warnings are just generation old.

Their RCD and RNS systems at those times were market leading and one of the best integrated systems i have used. But these days chinese markets make systems that can be basically manufactured in higher quality by these german makers to bring in more functions.

Honda is one company that provides newer features in their newer generations.

My only guess is that till Jetta gets into local manufacturing instead of assembly where Ameo is not imported it will continue to have global features and not country specific. Ameo is aimed at a mass market and probably they see folks actually making a decision between a VW or a Honda based on say even the reverse camera.

In case of Jetta, the TDI and DSG badge sell over the Toyota Diesel or Honda Diesel offerings. Thats my take.
Old 11th June 2016, 04:05   #272
BHPian

Hi All,

Sorry for the long post but I am stuck on which car to buy for past some time and hence need some advice. I have been reading various reviews and ownership reports for over 2 months now and am quite confused.

I currently drive petrol SX4. It has done about 73k in past 5 yrs. Ownership has been pretty ok without any major maintainance issues. I think the car is in pretty decent shape and can be used for another couple of years but I am getting an itch to change. Reasons for changing
  • The power/pickup typically comes at 2000 RPM and it makes it pretty boring and slow to drive within the city. Now I don’t remember if it was like this in the beginning (it was primarily my wife’s car for first 1-1.5 yrs.’) but this is how it has been for past 3 yrs.
  • Safety: Current car doesn’t have any airbags or other safety features. We have a kid now and since we travel a lot on highways, I want a safer car.

Driving Style and usage:
  • I am not an extremely fast or rash driver. Highway speeds typically are below 120 km/hr and may go up to 140 at rare occasions.
  • Regarding usage, my average monthly running is about 1200-1500 kms. My sx4 has run about 50k in last 3 yrs and the new car will have similar usage. Regarding highway vs city, City usage will be about 600 KMs and 700-800 kms is highway (Weekend road trips).
  • My family has been a maruti loyalists and have owned 800, Alto and now SX4. Our typical maintenance/servicing policy has been to give the vehicle to the authorised service centre and trust them completely. All 3 ownerships have been issue less and would like to keep it that way.

From this requirements what I could gauge was

• Need torque to come in at lower RPMS than 2000 which I currently get from SX4
  • Safety: Need rear air bags (kiddo will be in back seat only), ABD etc.
  • I don’t think 1200 to 1500 kms per month really put me in diesel category but I don’t actually mind a little higher cost of ownership of diesel if required.
  • Good A.S.S.

I have a budget of 15-20 lakhs in my mind. I can extend it a little if I have to.

Cars I have looked at
  • Octavia: It is out of my range but I just love the way it looks. Been a fan of Octavia looks since it was first launched. I could even have stretched my budget for this beauty but the horror stories that I have read about Skoda created doubts in my mind. The lack of response from dealership despite booking TD 3 times on Skoda website made the decision clear for me.
  • Honda City: the thick chrome front is sth no one in the family likes so this is out
  • Verna: Wife loves the look, I am not a fan but then I don’t hate it either. Pickup (not sure what the correct term here is), I felt is ok sorts, not as bad as SX4 but again didn’t feel like it’s enough. Wife and Dad love the fact that it is loaded with all the gizmos. Availability of 6 air bags, EBS, ABD does make it an attractive option from safety point of view also. Not sure if the handling issues that I hear/read about will matter at my speeds.
  • Vento: I love the car but availability of only 2 airbags is an issue.
  • Jetta: Again love the car. It ticks off the safety feature list also. But the diesel versions are above my budget, not that I am hung up on diesel. And can extend my budget if push comes to shove. Again from the experience of people from various VW A.S.S. as mentioned in various threads, I am a little jittery.

So my question/confusion is:
  • Should I go for Verna? It is in budget, everyone else in the family likes the look and gizmos. I don’t love the car but am ok with it. Is handling a deal breaker given that one of the primary reasons for a new car is safety?
  • Or Should I go for Jetta? Is A.S.S decent now? Will TSI be good enough for my kind of usage or should I extend my budget for TDI?

Also I read somewhere on the forum that VW diesel engine needs sth like 10Kms to warm up to its real performance and frequent shorter (<10 KM) trips may actually harm the engine. Since most of my city travel is less than 10km or just about 10km one way, will it have an impact on diesel engine life and maintenance?

Also I love the LED DRLs on highline and since TSI is not available in highline trim, can we update the headlights? Similarly can one change from RCD 320 to 510(or another one) with 8 speakers and all?
sameerg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th June 2016, 15:23   #273
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameerg View Post
So my question/confusion is:
Should I go for Verna? It is in budget, everyone else in the family likes the look and gizmos. I don’t love the car but am ok with it. Is handling a deal breaker given that one of the primary reasons for a new car is safety?
If you can go for the jetta diesal thats the best bet, Verna and jetta are part aways when it comes to driving dynamics , I would also suggest you to avoid the octavia diesel since it comes with a torison suspension, Multilink on the jetta does matter trust me. Again with handling and safety both, The Jetta is a tank.

Quote:
Or Should I go for Jetta? Is A.S.S decent now? Will TSI be good enough for my kind of usage or should I extend my budget for TDI?
A.S.S Can always be a hit or a miss, Speaking from my experience its been around 7 on 10 in my 2 years of ownership of the Jetta. TSI actually makes more sense if your running in less and within the city only, But if you would hit the highways diesel is the way to go, More power with more fuel economy.

Quote:
Also I read somewhere on the forum that VW diesel engine needs sth like 10Kms to warm up to its real performance and frequent shorter (<10 KM) trips may actually harm the engine. Since most of my city travel is less than 10km or just about 10km one way, will it have an impact on diesel engine life and maintenance?
Not exactly 10kms, For me it takes around 3-4 kms to warmup the engine temperature while driving on speeds around 30- 40 kph.

Quote:
Also I love the LED DRLs on highline and since TSI is not available in highline trim, can we update the headlights? Similarly can one change from RCD 320 to 510(or another one) with 8 speakers and all? [/list]
I too am a fan of the DRl's, It makes the car stand out! It will in short cost a bomb to try and update the similar type of headlamps. On the other hand swapping RCD 320 and 510 is a bit easy, But than again you'll need extra stuff like a bluetooth module etc.

In short, If your budget permits, Get the Jetta Highline TDI. You will get more than you wished for.
Tanveer_2558 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th June 2016, 19:02   #274
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameerg;3994769[LIST
Or Should I go for Jetta? Is A.S.S decent now? Will TSI be good enough for my kind of usage or should I extend my budget for TDI?
I don't think you should go for the Verna just for the 6 airbags. You have a higher budget and also the current verna is probably at the end of its life cycle. In addition it's not exactly a segment upgrade.

Based on your shortlist, I would say go for the Jetta. And in the Jetta the tdi highline dsg. The Tsi will be good enough. But not being available in the top variant will be a bit of a downer. Also, I think you can get good discounts on the Jetta. Even today there was an ad in the paper.

The other option, if you are not in a hurry is to wait and see what VW does with the Vento this year. There will definitely be an update and with the Ameo coming in and being specced exactly same as the Vento, VW will want to differentiate the Vento a little more. We know led head lamps are coming, maybe stuff like 6 airbags will get added.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th June 2016, 20:25   #275
Team-BHP Support

Sameer, explore more, there are lots of other cars which should suit your requirements. You may look at S-Cross 1.6, Elantra, Cruz [new one around the corner I think]

If I would be you, would buy the Jetta diesel in the best trim available
Sheel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th June 2016, 20:42   #276
BHPian

I was in a similar situation a couple of months ago - and was on the verge of buying Vento. Then after a couple of days dicussions here in TBHP, I went ahead and bought Jetta TDI comfortline. The car is very well put together and the multi link rear suspension works like a dream. Only last week I had to apply the full breaks from a good speed when a bus suddenly changed lanes in front of me in the NH47 near Alleppy - the ABS kicked in perfectly and the car decelerated amazingly without any swerve or wheel locking or anything. Its a nice, very well put together piece of machine.

The only grouse is the missing LED headlights - it costs more than a lakh and an extensive rewiring at the front. But without it, the car looks just lacking something.

I did change to RCD 520 and to 8 speakers - with the bluetooth module upgrade and all - it is really expensive. moral - if you can (even when it means stretching) go for the highest possible trim. After a while you wont repent.

Last edited by nevinfrancis : 11th June 2016 at 20:44.
nevinfrancis is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th June 2016, 21:10   #277
AYP
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Also I love the LED DRLs on highline and since TSI is not available in highline trim, can we update the headlights? Similarly can one change from RCD 320 to 510(or another one) with 8 speakers and all? [/list]
The latest batch of the Jetta now comes with RCD 330 touchscreen infortainment system with 8 speakers in both the Comfortline and the Highline variants(not sure about the Trendline). So I guess there is no need to upgrade. Here's the link to the new Comfortline ownership experience-
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...tline-tdi.html
I think it is possible to swap the headlights. They cost a bomb though.

Between the 1.4 TSI and the 2.0 TDI, the 2.0 TDI is the superior engine and should be the pick of the two. Just avoid the barebones Trendline variant.

You can also look at the Creta SX(O) and the Elantra petrol SX as they come equipped with six airbags(not recommending the Elantra SX diesel as the Jetta TDI Comfortline can be had for almost the same price).

Last edited by AYP : 11th June 2016 at 21:14.
AYP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2016, 00:12   #278
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevinfrancis View Post
The car is very well put together and the multi link rear suspension works like a dream. Only last week I had to apply the full breaks from a good speed when a bus suddenly changed lanes in front of me in the NH47 near Alleppy - the ABS kicked in perfectly and the car decelerated amazingly without any swerve or wheel locking or anything. Its a nice, very well put together piece of machine..
This my friend! It was my first reason to drop the Octavia diesel from my list, I had test drove both and multi link suspension does wonder's, Can't keep going around explaining people why i opted for the Jetta instead of the octavia.
Tanveer_2558 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th June 2016, 07:29   #279
BHPian

I don't think you can compare the different ride , handling, braking and performance characteristics of a car in the class of vento/Verna with a jetta , even the earlier corolla and current elantra were not comparable - you will experience a much higher level of engine refinement and response , quieter performance, richer fit and finish and overall experience, ride and handling experience especially over bumps, braking performance ( that especially vs Verna ), right from opening and shutting the driver doors the weight and heft of the car can be fathomed. They hardly make cars with such target specs these days grab the last of what is left.

Test drive the jetta tdi and that should be all the convincing you may need , all the best in your quest.

Last edited by bblost : 13th June 2016 at 15:03.
Old 13th June 2016, 12:45   #280
BHPian

Thanks hubolt, Tanveer_2558, AYP, nevinfrancis, Sheel and Rajeevraj.

Was in Delhi on the weekend so went for a TD of jetta with dad. There was long wait for diesel car so tried TSI. Amazing car, I must say. Even a maruti lifer like my dad was super impressed.

Will TD TDI in blr this weekend. Hoping wife likes it too. Ahh the number of hoops a man has to jump
Old 13th June 2016, 15:22   #281
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks hubolt, Tanveer_2558, AYP, nevinfrancis, Sheel and Rajeevraj.

Was in Delhi on the weekend so went for a TD of jetta with dad. There was long wait for diesel car so tried TSI. Amazing car, I must say. Even a maruti lifer like my dad was super impressed.

Will TD TDI in blr this weekend. Hoping wife likes it too. Ahh the number of hoops a man has to jump

Yes infact the 1.4TSI is good enough for city commute and would suite people with low running, Only disappointment being its not available in the highline trim, Test drive the diesel, You'll love it even more, Have you decided about the DSG or the manual one? Every maruti fan sat in my jetta till date appreciated the built quality as soon as they had to apply good amount of force to shut the door.
Old 13th June 2016, 17:31   #282
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanveer_2558 View Post
Yes infact the 1.4TSI is good enough for city commute and would suite people with low running, Only disappointment being its not available in the highline trim, Test drive the diesel, You'll love it even more, Have you decided about the DSG or the manual one? Every maruti fan sat in my jetta till date appreciated the built quality as soon as they had to apply good amount of force to shut the door.
TSI fits the budget but as you said it is a huge disappointment that its not available in highline trim .

I will be going in for manual. TDI highline will already be a stretch for the budget. DSG will be too much.
Old 13th June 2016, 20:54   #283
BHPian

Quote:
TSI fits the budget but as you said it is a huge disappointment that its not available in highline trim .

I will be going in for manual. TDI highline will already be a stretch for the budget. DSG will be too much.
I was planning to suggest you the same. Since there is no urgency you could wait for couple(around October) more months and see what the new Vento would have in offer .
Old 14th June 2016, 00:08   #284
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

There would be a difference about 1 lakh in between the manual and the DSG, No issues anyways though, Manual is one of the slickest one you'll use out there, DSG too is amazing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by csnanjappa View Post
I was planning to suggest you the same. Since there is no urgency you could wait for couple(around October) more months and see what the new Vento would have in offer .
No matter what features are introduced in vento, If his budget permits the jetta, The vento doesn't come close to how the jetta drives.
Tanveer_2558 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2016, 08:22   #285
BHPian

Agree with tanveer. vento is a segment altogether lower than jetta - As someone pointed out when I was buying Jetta, the real German 'Fahrerlebnis' - autoexperience begins with jetta and upwards.
nevinfrancis is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks