Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 6th December 2016, 15:14   #541
Senior - BHPian

Re: 2015 Volkswagen Jetta Facelift : A Close Look

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Naren View Post
Look out for scratches on brake disc and also the thickness. If it looks good enough, there is no need to replace. If discs are expensive, you can get it faced at lathe.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarguyNish View Post
Definitely something fishy.
Do the Discs need re-skimming ? Apart from this I see no reason why the discs are being changed. Ask them the reason behind this replacement

Did you notice the braking to be less effective ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by iliketurtles View Post
I'm asking them to send me a picture of the brake discs, but I'm not sure this is the case. I've asked them to share a picture of the discs, they're claiming that the discs have some ridges and lines into it, and a new set of brake pads might get damaged if they don't replace the discs too, but I don't buy that argument really. Just sounds like a service guy out to add a few more bucks to his revenue column, although I could be wrong.

There has been a bit of brake fade and slight sponginess, but nothing alarming. Just as much as you'd expect of a 40,000 run car. My gut feeling is that the brake discs don't need to be replaced and that a brake pad change is all that's needed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Naren View Post
If the brake discs are damaged / has lot of scratches, SA is right about it. Performance and life of New brake pads would be compromised.
Quote:
Originally Posted by iliketurtles View Post
I agree 100%, but I don't think that's the case. Have asked him for a picture, I'll take it from there.

Here are the pictures, They aren't very clear but still can give us an approximate idea, What do you guys think?

2015 Volkswagen Jetta Facelift : A Close Look-img_1574.jpg

2015 Volkswagen Jetta Facelift : A Close Look-img_1575.jpg

2015 Volkswagen Jetta Facelift : A Close Look-img_1576.jpg

2015 Volkswagen Jetta Facelift : A Close Look-img_1577.jpg
Tanveer_2558 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th December 2016, 10:57   #542
Senior - BHPian

Surface seems to be fairly ok, but looking at the outer edge, there seems to be loss of thickness. If there is enough thickness left, skimming should be sufficient. There is a limit for skimming and beyond that you need to change the disc. Please see the thickness left and take the call.
Old 7th December 2016, 11:05   #543
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanveer_2558 View Post
Here are the pictures, They aren't very clear but still can give us an approximate idea, What do you guys think?
I guess only skimming would be enough. How does it feel on touch? Are the scratches deep? When you feel the surface of discs, it should be fine and smooth.
Old 10th December 2016, 17:09   #544
BHPian

On a perfect morning, on a dream road. Impressive FE.
Attached Thumbnails
2015 Volkswagen Jetta Facelift : A Close Look-mileage1.png  

mmmreddy78 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 16th December 2016, 13:50   #545
Senior - BHPian

Hi guys,

So I have been getting this message on the MID of my 2015 VW Jetta. I know that such reminders are given when the car is due for scheduled service; but what is this inspection for?
Attached Thumbnails
2015 Volkswagen Jetta Facelift : A Close Look-vw-jetta-mid.jpg  

Old 16th December 2016, 15:44   #546
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epic View Post
Hi guys,

So I have been getting this message on the MID of my 2015 VW Jetta. I know that such reminders are given when the car is due for scheduled service; but what is this inspection for?
Inspection reminder is for the 6 months free checkup they do in the first year. When did you get your car. If it is close to 6 months, then this is expected. In the 6 months check they do basic checks like oil level, brake fluid and coolant levels etc and do a wash.

EDIT: Just noticed the odo at 19K. This should then be the 6 months reminder after your first year/15K service.
graaja is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 16th December 2016, 15:54   #547
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
Inspection reminder is for the 6 months free checkup they do in the first year. When did you get your car. If it is close to 6 months, then this is expected. In the 6 months check they do basic checks like oil level, brake fluid and coolant levels etc and do a wash.

EDIT: Just noticed the odo at 19K. This should then be the 6 months reminder after your first year/15K service.
I bought a pre-owned car. The car is a Feb 2015 manufactured and registered. When I bought the car it was 17k some odd on the odometer. First service was done in March 2016. So the car will complete two years in Feb 2017. Am I still supposed to get this reminder or did the VW guys forget to deactivate the 06 month service reminder?
Epic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th December 2016, 11:38   #548
BHPian

Quote:
I bought a pre-owned car. The car is a Feb 2015 manufactured and registered. When I bought the car it was 17k some odd on the odometer. First service was done in March 2016. So the car will complete two years in Feb 2017. Am I still supposed to get this reminder or did the VW guys forget to deactivate the 06 month service reminder?
They forgot to reset it. Happened to me a few weeks ago when I gave my car in for the 30K service.

There are two intervals to be reset - the service interval and the inspection interval. Sometimes the service tech forgets the inspection one, hence this.

Just go to the service centre and have them reset it for you.

Cheers
tilt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th December 2016, 12:44   #549
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilt View Post
They forgot to reset it. Happened to me a few weeks ago when I gave my car in for the 30K service.

There are two intervals to be reset - the service interval and the inspection interval. Sometimes the service tech forgets the inspection one, hence this.

Just go to the service centre and have them reset it for you.

Cheers
I was pretty happy seeing your reply to this until I checked with my VW Service Advisor. Click this link and check out my post.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...-fraud-14.html
Old 18th December 2016, 14:25   #550
BHPian

Quote:
I was pretty happy seeing your reply to this until I checked with my VW Service Advisor. Click this link and check out my post.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...-fraud-14.html
Yes, I saw that post of yours. I guess I shall wait and see if my MID comes up with a similar warning in the course of time.

I of course could always call the dealer and ask if this is the case, but meh, I am feeling lazy.

Cheers
Old 4th January 2017, 14:52   #551
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajaTaurus View Post
Thank you. I was considering iJDMTOY for sometime against Philips as this is available with Amazon.in. So just ordered 1 set and will post after receipt and installation.
I also ended up ordering these lights on Amazon.com Link, they were delivered to my cousins residence in the US and he just came to India a week ago.

Paid roughly INR 2,500/- for these.

Will post pictures and a brief review post install.
Attached Thumbnails
2015 Volkswagen Jetta Facelift : A Close Look-jetta-bulb.jpg  

maglev is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th January 2017, 18:48   #552
Senior - BHPian

I got the lights and those are exactly the same. But it is very difficult to open the holder. I tried with some local mechanics and failed. The wires are so flimsy, I didn't want to snap those and get into trouble with warranty / MID error. My 6 month check up is due by Feb end and I decided to wait till then.

Last edited by RajaTaurus : 4th January 2017 at 19:14.
Old 10th March 2017, 13:08   #553
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
I think that's a fair bill for a D-segment car! I think I have come across 10K bills (on the forum) for Vento / Rapid etc and this is nothing high.

Two things that got my attention are

1. Lock cylinder lubricant :: What is this?
2. Mech care TMT :: Is this some additive?

These two are paltry sums, but for me this looks like the only unwanted bits.

Enjoy your car!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
A lube for the doors' locks. Useless addition so long as the locks work fine.

Now this is some new sham! It it classified under labor but the labor work is already paid under the first serial.
Thank you guys for educating me about this little scam. Apologies for the late update, I had a few really busy weeks after the second service.

Today, I handed over the car for the third service (45K) & my acquainted SA tried to sell the same useless stuff which I politely refused.

The good news is SA has agreed to spare the 2.0 tdi from the infamous update yet again (she spent a day at the workshop for break pads replacement during the last week of December as well) . On the other hand, I keep receiving calls from the workshop to get the software updated. I keep telling them the car is busy for next few weeks and they keep calling after a few weeks. I am waiting for the day when they will give up on updating the software on my car
Old 10th March 2017, 16:19   #554
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maglev View Post
I also ended up ordering these lights on Amazon.com Link, they were delivered to my cousins residence in the US and he just came to India a week ago.

Paid roughly INR 2,500/- for these.

Will post pictures and a brief review post install.
Here are two snaps after fixing these new LED bulbs by VW Service center. Sort of blends with the body color and bright enough from distance. At least these look like DRLs.
Attached Thumbnails
2015 Volkswagen Jetta Facelift : A Close Look-1489142776664.jpg  

2015 Volkswagen Jetta Facelift : A Close Look-1489142816699.jpg  

Last edited by Jaggu : 10th March 2017 at 20:24.
RajaTaurus is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 14th March 2017, 14:08   #555
BHPian

Got the car back from the 3rd service (45K) last Friday (same day without prior appointment). I am extremely satisfied with the whole experience. Total service cost was 11350 which I find very reasonable considering the service interval (15K) and the fact that it's a D segment car. For comparison, pathetic MASS billed me 8500 for my swift Dzire's 50K service (10K service interval) 3 years back.
A big thanks to team bhp specially swiftnfurious and gannu_1 who educated me about the sham of unnecessary lubricant spray (1400 bucks) which helped to keep the invoice amount in check.

Attached is the invoice of the service.

Edit: Attachment was not uploaded in the post for some reason. Please find it in the next post.

Last edited by bhavik.1991 : 14th March 2017 at 14:17. Reason: Typo in the service cost.

Most Viewed