Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd February 2018, 13:59   #601
BHPian

Re: 2015 Volkswagen Jetta Facelift : A Close Look

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epic View Post
So I started my car this morning and got these multiple errors on the MID.

Is this something I should be concerned about? Is this a sign of a possible failure?
One or more of your Wheel speed sensor is about to fail. As a result the car is getting conflicting data from one wheel( may be more too) and thus has difficulty in assessing the speed. ABS, bending lamps, ESP, auto lock, DSG and power steering(level of assist) uses info from the speed sensors. Go to the dealership and ask them to check the error log. Easily identifiable.

Since speed sensing is not accurate there's a chance that DSG may shift gears erratically ( like 6-3rd while cruising) so keep an eye on it. And don't leave the key on and get out of the car as the auto lock can get confused and lock the car out. Had 4 of these changed on my erstwhile Polo and 3 on my new Jetta too. All of these symptoms may not show up but just wanted to let you know.

Another possibility is a weak battery. On my Jetta ABS, ESP, bending lamp and power steering error is what usually shows up due to the wheel speed sensor failure. It's nothing serious but the symptoms can scare us.
SUPERSPORT is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2018, 15:19   #602
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUPERSPORT View Post
One or more of your Wheel speed sensor is about to fail. As a result the car is getting conflicting data from one wheel( may be more too) and thus has difficulty in assessing the speed. ABS, bending lamps, ESP, auto lock, DSG and power steering(level of assist) uses info from the speed sensors. Go to the dealership and ask them to check the error log. Easily identifiable.

Since speed sensing is not accurate there's a chance that DSG may shift gears erratically ( like 6-3rd while cruising) so keep an eye on it. And don't leave the key on and get out of the car as the auto lock can get confused and lock the car out. Had 4 of these changed on my erstwhile Polo and 3 on my new Jetta too. All of these symptoms may not show up but just wanted to let you know.
If what you are saying is true, you may have solved my problem as all the above symptoms have occurred in my car. It showed an ABS error, ESP error, power steering error and even a cruise control error all though I am not sure if the cruise control error is due to a possible wheel speed sensor failure.

Not had issues with DSG or auto lock yet.

Also, just two days ago the AFS of my right headlight malfunctioned; i.e. the projector got stuck facing down so beams were not aligned. I shut off the car and started it again and it worked fine. But again not sure if this is linked to wheel speed sensors. But yes, I will have the VW team check the error logs.

Quote:
Another possibility is a weak battery.
Battery is around 06 months old so this is doubtful.

Last edited by Epic : 3rd February 2018 at 15:22.
Old 8th February 2018, 18:07   #603
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
One or more of your Wheel speed sensor is about to fail.
Got the car scanned today and yes it is a faulty wheel speed sensor which is creating all the ruckus. The sensors will be changed under warranty.

Thank you so much for your help.
Old 26th March 2018, 23:08   #604
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
So I started my car this morning and got these multiple errors on the MID. Based on the errors it points out to a malfunction of:

1. Steering Wheel with Exclamation Mark - Power Steering Reduced
2. ABS - Malfunction with Anti-Lock Braking System
3. Car With Tire Marks - ESP (Electronic Stability Program) / ASR (Anti-Slip Regulator) Inactive

Attachment 1723560

So I shut of my car and removed the key, waited for around 10 seconds and started it again. The ABS, ESP & ASR errors did not show up again. The Power Steering error remained for around 5 seconds and vanished. I drove the car for around 20 kms to my office with no issues.

Now, this has happened before a couple of times without any fixed pattern and errors have vanished after restarting the car. The errors only show when the car is started for the day or once it is parked and restarted and not when the car is in motion.

Is this something I should be concerned about? Is this a sign of a possible failure?
Quote:
Here goes my story. The exact same issue. My dad couldn't find the keys to the Kwid and took the Jetta instead. After starting the car, the power steering light, the ESC light and ABS light lit up together. they stayed on even after driving for 5-6 Km.

Got the car back home, shut it off and started it again. The power steering light stayed on, while the ABS and ESC lights vanished. After switching on and off again, the power steering light stayed for 5 seconds and vanished as well.

Is it a wheel speed sensor gone? How much does it cost and will VW replace it under goodwill since my car is out of warranty and will all four sensors be replaced even if one is at fault?

EDIT: Started the car multiple times and switched it off, but the errors refused to show up again. Shall I assume that it was only some dirt in the sensors or low voltage. The car hasn't been driven for more than a week. The car drives perfectly normal. No loss of power to the steering or brakes.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by vishy76 : 26th March 2018 at 23:38.
Old 27th March 2018, 00:08   #605
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishy76 View Post
Shall I assume that it was only some dirt in the sensors or low voltage. The car hasn't been driven for more than a week. The car drives perfectly normal. No loss of power to the steering or brakes.
I would advice you to get the battery checked before looking into things like the wheel speed sensor (which I believe would be quite expensive). Our erstwhile Punto (which also had an advanced CANBUS system) showed some random warning signs like ABS failure, Immobilizer symbol etc. SA advised us to get the battery checked & replaced, after replacement of the battery the warning lights were gone. In our case the car was cranking fine & all the electrical accessories like PW were working fine, still the car showed those faults as the battery was producing a slightly lower voltage than normal.

Last edited by chiranjitp : 27th March 2018 at 00:12.
chiranjitp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th March 2018, 00:26   #606
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiranjitp View Post
I would advice you to get the battery checked before looking into things like the wheel speed sensor (which I believe would be quite expensive). Our erstwhile Punto (which also had an advanced CANBUS system) showed some random warning signs like ABS failure, Immobilizer symbol etc. SA advised us to get the battery checked & replaced, after replacement of the battery the warning lights were gone. In our case the car was cranking fine & all the electrical accessories like PW were working fine, still the car showed those faults as the battery was producing a slightly lower voltage than normal.
I have just had my battery replaced 6 months back. It's an SF Sonic unit. I am still not ruling this out though. Might be that the battery lost voltage and the errors came up but then came back to normal after driving for a bit.

Will try and crank the car tomorrow morning and also check the voltage with an ammeter I have.

Thanks a lot for the help
vishy76 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th March 2018, 17:38   #607
BHPian

Hi TBhpians,
I have across following ZigWheels link which lists down periodic maintenance that needs to be carried out during service.

https://www.zigwheels.com/newcars/Vo...a/service-cost

I have selected Diesel Automatic as mine is a DSG. It mentions that Break & Clutch Oil needs to be changed during 45K service however I don't think they were replaced during my 45K service.
Please go to following quoted post to have a look at the invoice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhavik.1991 View Post
45k KMs Service Invoice
However I noticed that there was an item invoiced under 'Brake Fluids' during 30K service. Please go to following quoted post to have a look at the invoice.
Quote:
30k KMs Service Invoice
Pardon my ignorance. Can experts help with my following novice questions?
  1. How accurate is information on ZigWheels link (Not cost wise but replacement interval wise)? I tried to search replacement intervals in Owner's manual & Service Schedule but couldn't find them. Please let me know if I can find them in manual.
  2. Is item invoiced under 'Break fluids' is the same as Brake oil?
  3. Is clutch oil different from Break oil? If so, does DSG require clutch oil to be replaced? I know that Gearbox oil should be replaced during upcoming 60K service.

Last edited by bhavik.1991 : 29th March 2018 at 17:42. Reason: Added more information
Old 30th March 2018, 13:21   #608
BHPian

Quote:
Hi TBhpians,
I have across following ZigWheels link which lists down periodic maintenance that needs to be carried out during service.

https://www.zigwheels.com/newcars/Vo...a/service-cost*SNIP*
Instead of looking at Zigwheels, look at VW India's own website: https://www.volkswagen.co.in/content...ons-option.pdf

This being said, the transmission fluid was supposed to be changed at the 60K service according to the above PDF; but my service centre did not change it, claiming that VW issued a notice saying that it only needs to be checked and not replaced.

I insisted on its being replaced anyway.

Cheers
tilt is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th March 2018, 14:15   #609
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilt View Post
This being said, the transmission fluid was supposed to be changed at the 60K service according to the above PDF; but my service centre did not change it, claiming that VW issued a notice saying that it only needs to be checked and not replaced.

Cheers
Quote:
I have selected Diesel Automatic as mine is a DSG. It mentions that Break & Clutch Oil needs to be changed during 45K service however I don't think they were replaced during my 45K service.
Please go to following quoted post to have a look at the invoice.
[/list]
From what I recall, I don't remember reading about the clutch oil or brake oil on our Laura DSG in the manual (the best place to start hunting), but the DSG oil was changed in the 4th year / 60Kkm service mark for my car as well as a couple other BHPians whom I spoke with.
Given the gearbox is anyways not the most reliable (a lot better than the 7 speed DSG on the petrol though), it's worth the cost of getting it done.

I also got the car serviced every 10Kkm, and the filters changed accordingly given our dusty conditions. It may cost more, but the performance and smoothness was worth it (plus the car was remapped)!
lamborghini is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th March 2018, 14:41   #610
BHPian

Tilt & Lambhorghini, thank you for information

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilt View Post
Instead of looking at Zigwheels, look at VW India's own website: https://www.volkswagen.co.in/content...ons-option.pdf
Special thanks for pdf. It's very informative.

I can see Lock Cylinder Lubricant as mandatory for each service however a few bhpians advised me that I can skip it when I posted 30k KMs service invoice hence I opted out from it in 45k KMs service. 'Lock cylinder lubricant spray' item was added in the invoice & cost was around 1000 bucks. I did a little bit googling & it seems the spray costs around 18$ for 50ml, so the amount is justified I guess. I was also wondering whether the workshop uses the whole spray bottle (50ml) in a single service.

I would like to know more about it from other owners.
Old 18th April 2018, 13:31   #611
Senior - BHPian

Hello everyone,

I have come across a peculiar problem in my Jetta. Actually, it has been there since the time I purchased the car but thought it was normal. The problem is that I tend to get the sound of the horn inside my car. I own a number of VAG cars from a Polo to a Superb and since all the cars are top of the line, they come with the dual tone horns. I have found the sound to be much less in the other cars, but in my Jetta, it seems more audible than normal.

I have given my car to the service center to replace a busted ABS sensor and told them to check this issue as well but after checking they found it to be normal. I checked another Jetta in the service center and it seemed louder than normal too but more suttle than my car.

Is anybody else experiencing this?
Old 22nd April 2018, 14:14   #612
BHPian

Quote:
Hello everyone,

I have come across a peculiar problem in my Jetta. Actually, it has been there since the time I purchased the car but thought it was normal. The problem is that I tend to get the sound of the horn inside my car. I own a number of VAG cars from a Polo to a Superb and since all the cars are top of the line, they come with the dual tone horns. I have found the sound to be much less in the other cars, but in my Jetta, it seems more audible than normal.

I have given my car to the service center to replace a busted ABS sensor and told them to check this issue as well but after checking they found it to be normal. I checked another Jetta in the service center and it seemed louder than normal too but more suttle than my car.

Is anybody else experiencing this?
I have owned two Jettas and a Passat. I haven't noticed this in any of the vehicles. You could check to see if there are gaps in the engine well insulation and in the rubber beads around cabin windows.
Old 27th July 2018, 12:09   #613
Senior - BHPian

Hello everyone,

Came across a worrying issue yesterday on my 2015 Jetta. Was leaving Mumbai for Igatpuri and had to top up the fuel as the indicator was on reserve. On reaching the pump, I was unable to pop open the fuel lid. I locked/unlocked the car several times but it did not budge. After 10 minutes of poking, pushing, etc it released slightly (it usually pops open fully) enough for me to use my finger nail and open the lid. I thanked my stars for this but it got me worried thinking about facing this issue again in future. I am surprised that VW hasn't given an option to have this opened manually in case of an electronic failure.

Has anyone faced such an issue before? I spoke to my service adviser at VW and he suspects a busted fuel lid actuator. Will be giving the car to them on Monday for this issue.
Old 27th July 2018, 12:21   #614
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Has anyone faced such an issue before? I spoke to my service adviser at VW and he suspects a busted fuel lid actuator. Will be giving the car to them on Monday for this issue.
Karan (iliketurtles) had faced this issue. The lock actuator might have got stuck. You'll have to replace it. Or better still take it to an FNG and see if you can repair it.
Old 27th July 2018, 12:33   #615
BHPian

Quote:

Faced this issue with my GT TSi. The service advisor is right. Don't worry though, it's a quick (and inexpensive) fix. Barely took an hour in my case.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks