Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Old 18th August 2018, 23:30   #631
BHPian

Default Re: 2015 Volkswagen Jetta Facelift : A Close Look

Really bad news. You all might have already heard of the flooding in kerala. Our Jetta was completely immersed in water as we were evacuated from our home. We had removed the battery and sealed the exhaust pipes before that. And I dont know whether our insurance covers flood damage - its zero depreciation full cover policy. The papers are all in the upper stories at home.

Is the car a complete write off?
Old 19th August 2018, 12:33   #632
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevinfrancis View Post
Really bad news. You all might have already heard of the flooding in kerala. Our Jetta was completely immersed in water as we were evacuated from our home. We had removed the battery and sealed the exhaust pipes before that. And I dont know whether our insurance covers flood damage - its zero depreciation full cover policy. The papers are all in the upper stories at home.

Hey Nevin,

Sorry to hear about your situation. If the car is completely submerged in water, the ECU has surely gone out of the window and will need to be changed. As long as the car is not started, the damage will be minimum to the engine and mechanical parts and may needs to be throughly cleaned. Electronic parts though will need to be changed.

All of the above can only be identified once the car is accessed.
Epic is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th August 2018, 13:28   #633
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevinfrancis View Post
If the battery has been removed, hopefully nothing untoward should happen if the system is dried properly before use. For smaller electronics removing battery and keeping in raw rice for couple of nights is enough! But you will need to find an “industrial” drying method.
adroit_91 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2018, 16:06   #634
BHPian

thanks guys for the response.

Today the waterlevel has somewhat receded and we went and checked the car.

I thought the car was fully submerged, but it was not, but enough damage has already been done by the flood. The water level was till the dashboard level.

It was a bit moist inside the dash area - ECU , I am afraid would need to be replaced along with some wiring. We found a big fatty rat inside the engine bay munching away the wiring and promptly got rid of it.

Our insurance indeed covers flood damage.

Afterwards we went to the VW service centre but it was deserted due to staff stranded at homes and camps. It will take a couple of days till the services restart.

Meanwhile everyone is engaged in rescue and cleaning operations everywhere - really heartening to see such sights especially the youth taking initiatives without waiting for the government help to come. We were also thick in the action yesterday night.

A tragedy indeed, but got to see some incidents which restores the faith in humanity strongly
nevinfrancis is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 10th November 2018, 00:58   #635
BHPian

Finally, after a wait of about two and half months I got my Jetta back from the VW service centre - EVM Kochi.

The total repair bill came to - 6,75,670 /- which was borne fully by my Insurance company - United India.

The list of major items replaced are : Flywheel, Clutch Kit, Sensors, Accelerator pedal, Fuel Unit, Fans, Bearings, Steering Rack (that alone costs 78,261), woofer, Horn, Fog Lamps, Floor carpet, AC Compressor, Rear and Front Brake disks, Module, Silencer, Alternator, Starter Motor, Power window motor etc.

Only the central wiring they did not change since that alone costs above 4 lakhs and would have pushed the repair bills near the IDV of the car. Instead they cleaned it with WD40.

Got the car back on last Monday and on Tuesday went with the whole family to a relative's home some 200 kms away - ie, a trip of 400 kms to and fro. Happy and relieved to have the car back in its original glory. Hope and pray that the wiring holds itself in the long run
Attached Thumbnails
2015 Volkswagen Jetta Facelift : A Close Look-img_20181109_174249.jpg  

nevinfrancis is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 4th July 2019, 11:58   #636
BHPian

Hi folks,
Is it possible to change the front grille of 2014 Jetta to the facelifted one? Does it require bumper replacement too? Has anyone tried or did this or thought about this? Appreciate any comments/inputs. Thank you
Old 4th July 2019, 23:26   #637
BHPian

Changing the grill alone is not possible, the bumpers need to be changed. I checked for my 2014 jetta and finally dropped the plan as it involved couple of alterations. Happy with the existing grill itself.👍
Old 31st July 2019, 07:58   #638
BHPian

Our Jetta is 3 years old and has done about 65k kms. We have used the cruise control a couple of times and it worked fine. Last night while returning from the airport, I press the cruise control's O/I button and I just get the icon in driver's display with an exclamation mark. Set, res, cancel, O/I didn't work either - put it in Park and it goes off. Not sure what's going on.

TIA
Attached Thumbnails
2015 Volkswagen Jetta Facelift : A Close Look-20190731_014511.jpg  

Old 31st July 2019, 10:14   #639
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astonite View Post
Our Jetta is 3 years old and has done about 65k kms. We have used the cruise control a couple of times and it worked fine. Last night while returning from the airport, I press the cruise control's O/I button and I just get the icon in driver's display with an exclamation mark. Set, res, cancel, O/I didn't work either - put it in Park and it goes off. Not sure what's going on.

TIA
Finally; the only Jetta in the whole world other than mine that has displayed this issue.

Googling this issue produces no results at all; nor does posting un any of the VW forums; and neither does talking to VW - the reason being, nobody has ever seen this happening ever; and this cannot be replicated at will. Like I said, your car and one are the only two VWs in the whole world that have this issue.

It will choose to happen at random intervals, in my case thrice over the period of four years.

And to add insult to injury, there may either be a generic "Cruise control error code" when checking with VCDS or any other OBDII reader; and VW's own VAS system will show absolutely nothing - no error codes.

But there's some good news - this is merely a temporary irritant. All you need to do to get rid of this is to stop, turn your engine and ignition off; turn it back on, and all's well with the world again butterflies are flying, birds are singing, the sun is shining etc.; until it happens again in a year or 18 months.

Cheers
tilt is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st July 2019, 10:19   #640
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilt View Post
Finally; the only Jetta in the whole world other than mine that has displayed this issue.
Cheers
Wow, glad I've some company. Yes it just went off last night and today morning I didn't try it. Glad I don't use cruise control. Will have this checked by the service center next week as the car has suddenly developed INTERMITTENT rattling noise from front driver side as if a screw is rolling inside. Not sure how am I going to explain both of these.

On another note, how annoyed is everyone when in D mode and the shifting of gear from 2 to 3? Annoys me every single time and I've gotten used to it though. Wish VW can sort this out - should be a software level fix.

Last edited by Astonite : 31st July 2019 at 10:23.
Old 1st August 2019, 10:21   #641
BHPian

Quote:
Wow, glad I've some company. Yes it just went off last night and today morning I didn't try it. Glad I don't use cruise control. Will have this checked by the service center next week as the car has suddenly developed INTERMITTENT rattling noise from front driver side as if a screw is rolling inside. Not sure how am I going to explain both of these.

On another note, how annoyed is everyone when in D mode and the shifting of gear from 2 to 3? Annoys me every single time and I've gotten used to it though. Wish VW can sort this out - should be a software level fix.
1. You do not need to be using cruise control for this issue to occur - it happens at random when not using cruise control. Actually it has never happened to me when using cruise control - but that could just be a coincidence, since I have only had this problem very seldom.

When you do get it checked at VW, if they do have any insight, please do let me know too.

2. What annoyance when shifting from 2 to 3 in D? I have had no issues. Would you please elaborate?

Cheers
tilt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2019, 07:48   #642
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilt View Post
1. You do not need to be using cruise control for this issue to occur - for me it happened when I wanted to use cruise control.

When you do get it checked at VW, if they do have any insight, please do let me know too - will do

2. What annoyance when shifting from 2 to 3 in D? I have had no issues. Would you please elaborate? While cruising (in D mode without using paddles), the gear shift from 2 to 3 is more visible than 1-2 or 3-4. The looks like the 2nd is longer than the rest.

Cheers
Replies in bold.
Would it be possible to setup auto folding on lock unlock of the car? Mine is a HL model if that helps
Astonite is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2019, 15:25   #643
BHPian

Hi,

We got our Jetta in 2016, HL spec. Couple of questions

1.The music system in the review post is completely different from what we have got. Attached a Pic (it's little dirty, requires cleaning)2015 Volkswagen Jetta Facelift : A Close Look-img20190807wa0015.jpg

2. Couldn't find the options for fatigue detection system, is it by any chance visible only when cruise control is active as per the review

3.Bluetooth pairing isn't available in MFD either
Old 7th August 2019, 16:10   #644
BHPian

What you have is the newer MIB system I think. It is better than the aging rcd510 for sure.
mav2000 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2019, 12:27   #645
BHPian

Quote:
Hi,

We got our Jetta in 2016, HL spec. Couple of questions

1.The music system in the review post is completely different from what we have got. Attached a Pic (it's little dirty, requires cleaning)Attachment 1903205

2. Couldn't find the options for fatigue detection system, is it by any chance visible only when cruise control is active as per the review

3.Bluetooth pairing isn't available in MFD either
Er... are you sure yours is a 2016 Highline? I was under the impression that manufacturing stopped after 2015 and that there were no 2016 model-years at all!

Mine is a 2015 Facelift Highline and my stereo looks exactly like int eh review pictures. Yours looks like a newer one that I do not believe ever came as standard. Did you buy the car new or used? If used, maybe the seller had upgraded it to the newer spec?

I do not know if what I say is correct, so, if I am mistaken, please do let me know.

Cheers

Most Viewed