Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 7th November 2019, 19:54   #661
Senior - BHPian
 
Epic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,505
Thanked: 661 Times
Default Re: 2015 Volkswagen Jetta Facelift : A Close Look

Hi Vinay,

I own a pre-owned 2015 Jetta Highline DSG myself so here are my thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinay23 View Post
The car initially didn't start and they had to use a jump starter to start up the engine. We were told that the car still had the original battery which due for replacement, and we were assured that it would be replaced at the A.S.S. (Consequently, the check engine light popped up in the instrument cluster)
If the battery is by a brand named Varta then yes, it is known to have a life of under two years. It is a miracle that it has lasted this long. My 2011 Polo 1.6 & my 2015 Jetta both came with the Varta battery and died under two years of use. I am now using Amaron with both and they are running fine for over 03 years now.

It is highly unlikely that the engine check light should show due to a low battery so do get that checked at the authorised service centre.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinay23 View Post
The diesel clatter was a wee bit on the higher side even after warming up the engine from a cold start.
It is possible that the car's ECU has been updated post 'Dieselgate' and that is a possible reason for the slightly excessive diesel clatter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinay23 View Post
I, personally, found the horn to be blaring. On asking them about the same, i was informed that cars from the pre-emission gate scandal came with a "double" horn and that volkswagen changed to single horns post that. I'm not sure how far this is true. Although, it is highly unlikely that it is a NVH issue, i'll hold my thoughts on that, which might be of some significance given the previous point.
I find this to be the case in my car as well. I thought it was an issue with my car but now I believe it is a normal thing.

No sure of whether the change of horn is related to the emission issue but yes, the horns have been changed recently. My 2011 Polo 1.6 Highline has the double horn while my 2019 GT TSI Highline has a single horn. My Jetta has the double horn though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinay23 View Post
I also noticed some condensation in the headlamp after we checked out the headlamp washers. Is this normal?
I have noticed most cars with projector headlights tend to have a slight condensation. However this should not be the case. It is a common sight though with Jettas having projector headlights. Mine has them too but only in the monsoons. This should not be happening in dry weather.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinay23 View Post
The rims on the front right and the one at the back left were scratched. Surely, not a deal breaker, but a fly in the ointment.
The Jetta has one of the most beautiful OEM rims so yes a slight scratch or chip can be an eye sore but definitely not a deal breaker. If you feel they are looking bad, you can either look for used OEM rims (very hard to find) or change to after market ones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinay23 View Post
The driver's side door had quite a deep dent towards the bottom edge, for which I was told that the previous owner had dinged it at a pillar, and that the whole door would have to be replaced and they decided against it.
The passenger side rear view mirror had a scratch running above the indicator.
Highly doubtful that a door would need to be changed for this. A good local garage can make it look brand new.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinay23 View Post
The stock speakers had a slight crack coming from the passenger side while playing pop songs.
Maybe the speakers need to be serviced. You can get this done from any good local accessory store or just change them to better ones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinay23 View Post
Pros:
The car glided through without any fuss.
All thanks to the multi-link rear suspension.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinay23 View Post
The tyres of the cars were recently changed (don't remember the brand, though )
One of the biggest disappointments in the Jetta are the stock Goodyear NCT 5 tyres and I got them changed to Michelin PS3s under 20k kms. The ride was at a different level after that.
Epic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th November 2019, 22:39   #662
BHPian
 
Vinay23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Chennai
Posts: 46
Thanked: 61 Times
Default Re: 2015 Volkswagen Jetta Facelift : A Close Look

Hey everyone,

We took delivery of our jet last sunday.
Couldn't post earlier as I've had a really long week.

Name:  20191103_091545343_iOS.jpg
Views: 2366
Size:  42.9 KB

The car was taken to the volkswagen A.S.S the week before last and the following issues were sorted out:
  • The battery was replaced, the cost borne by the dealer
  • Headlamps were checked and there was nothing major found that might lead to intense condensation in the future
  • We were told the scratches on the rims can be touched up


Quote:
Originally Posted by Epic View Post
If the battery is by a brand named Varta then yes, it is known to have a life of under two years. It is a miracle that it has lasted this long. My 2011 Polo 1.6 & my 2015 Jetta both came with the Varta battery and died under two years of use. I am now using Amaron with both and they are running fine for over 03 years now.

It is highly unlikely that the engine check light should show due to a low battery so do get that checked at the authorised service centre.

I didn't check the brand of the battery which died, neither of the one replaced

The folks over at A.S.S said that it WAS because of the battery that the CEL popped up. The CEL didn't glow the last time I checked, after taking delivery-maybe it was because of the battery.

Quote:
It is possible that the car's ECU has been updated post 'Dieselgate' and that is a possible reason for the slightly excessive diesel clatter.
Probably. The car has been serviced at the same A.S.S since day 1, so that's definitely possible. Seems like I'll just have to get over that and enjoy the car as it is.



Quote:
I have noticed most cars with projector headlights tend to have a slight condensation. However this should not be the case. It is a common sight though with Jettas having projector headlights. Mine has them too but only in the monsoons. This should not be happening in dry weather.
As a matter of fact, it did rain the day we checked out the car. We noticed the condensation only after the car was taken back inside the air conditioned showroom, after the drive.


Quote:
The Jetta has one of the most beautiful OEM rims so yes a slight scratch or chip can be an eye sore but definitely not a deal breaker. If you feel they are looking bad, you can either look for used OEM rims (very hard to find) or change to after market ones.
I'm currently banking on the A.S.S who told me the rims can be touched up. I have no idea how they plan on doing that. One can only hope.


Quote:
Highly doubtful that a door would need to be changed for this. A good local garage can make it look brand new.
At least, that's what we were told. Attaching pictures of the same. Look at the bottom of the driver's door towards the edge.
Name:  20191107_162349303_iOS.jpg
Views: 2226
Size:  42.3 KB


Quote:
Maybe the speakers need to be serviced. You can get this done from any good local accessory store or just change them to better ones.
Dad checked out the speakers when he took the car for a drive recently, and didn't notice any cracking noise. Maybe it was just the radio playing during the initial test drive.


Really can't wait for the day I'd get to drive this beast

Last edited by Vinay23 : 7th November 2019 at 22:42. Reason: added details
Vinay23 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th November 2019, 11:34   #663
BHPian
 
tilt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Canada / B'lore
Posts: 567
Thanked: 1,395 Times
Default Re: 2015 Volkswagen Jetta Facelift : A Close Look

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epic View Post
*SNIP*
I have noticed most cars with projector headlights tend to have a slight condensation. However this should not be the case. It is a common sight though with Jettas having projector headlights. Mine has them too but only in the monsoons. This should not be happening in dry weather.*SNIP*

I might be just lucky I guess, but mine has never had this issue. I have owned mine since new.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinay23 View Post
Hey everyone,

We took delivery of our jet last sunday.
Couldn't post earlier as I've had a really long week. *SNIP*

Congratulations. It's a beautiful colour. Here's wishing you and your dad many many happy miles of trouble-free ownership. It is a great car.


Cheers
tilt is offline  
Old 8th November 2019, 11:37   #664
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 10
Thanked: 29 Times
Default Re: 2015 Volkswagen Jetta Facelift : A Close Look

Hi,
Can someone help me with VCDS cable? I am based out of Baner,Pune.
Dugzy is offline  
Old 8th November 2019, 13:27   #665
Senior - BHPian
 
Epic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,505
Thanked: 661 Times
Default Re: 2015 Volkswagen Jetta Facelift : A Close Look

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinay23 View Post
We took delivery of our jet last sunday.
Couldn't post earlier as I've had a really long week.
Congratulations on an absolutely fantastic car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinay23 View Post
The car was taken to the volkswagen A.S.S the week before last and the following issues were sorted out:
We were told the scratches on the rims can be touched up
The rims have a diamond cut finish, Not sure how they car going to touch that up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinay23 View Post
I didn't check the brand of the battery which died, neither of the one replaced stupid
It is probably an Exide now as VW has moved on to this brand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinay23 View Post
The folks over at A.S.S said that it WAS because of the battery that the CEL popped up. The CEL didn't glow the last time I checked, after taking delivery-maybe it was because of the battery.
This is a relief then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinay23 View Post
Seems like I'll just have to get over that and enjoy the car as it is.
Or you can have it remapped and get out the total potential of the car. This is what I did and the car is now much more fun to drive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinay23 View Post
As a matter of fact, it did rain the day we checked out the car. We noticed the condensation only after the car was taken back inside the air conditioned showroom, after the drive.
So you will hopefully not see this happening in dry weather.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinay23 View Post
At least, that's what we were told. Attaching pictures of the same. Look at the bottom of the driver's door towards the edge.
Yes but it seems minor really for an entire door change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilt View Post
I might be just lucky I guess, but mine has never had this issue. I have owned mine since new.
You are indeed lucky. It is however a common problem with Jetta having projector setups. This was confirmed by the authorised service centre as well as many reputed garages. Since my car is still under extended warranty, I had taken it to the service centre for this issue but was told that it is normal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilt View Post
Congratulations. It's a beautiful colour.
For some reason a majority of the 2015 onward cars are in this colour. Mine is also the same. Here are some pics.

2015 Volkswagen Jetta Facelift : A Close Look-vw-jetta-1.jpeg

2015 Volkswagen Jetta Facelift : A Close Look-vw-jetta-2.jpeg

2015 Volkswagen Jetta Facelift : A Close Look-vw-jetta-3.jpeg

2015 Volkswagen Jetta Facelift : A Close Look-vw-jetta-4.jpeg
Epic is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th November 2019, 14:46   #666
BHPian
 
Immix's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 143
Thanked: 189 Times
Default Re: 2015 Volkswagen Jetta Facelift : A Close Look

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dugzy View Post
Hi,
Can someone help me with VCDS cable? I am based out of Baner,Pune.
I have one and I am in Pune (Kalyani Nagar). Will PM you my contact details.
Immix is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th November 2019, 00:19   #667
BHPian
 
Vinay23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Chennai
Posts: 46
Thanked: 61 Times
Default Re: 2015 Volkswagen Jetta Facelift : A Close Look

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilt View Post

Congratulations. It's a beautiful colour. Here's wishing you and your dad many many happy miles of trouble-free ownership. It is a great car.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Epic View Post
Congratulations on an absolutely fantastic car.
Thank you for your kind wishes


Quote:
Or you can have it remapped and get out the total potential of the car. This is what I did and the car is now much more fun to drive.
My dad will be using this as his primary car at least for the next two years and I don't think he'd ever consider a remap. He drives pretty sedately in the city and takes the car out to the highway only occasionally. His driving style doesn't necessitate a remap. Period.

Quote:
Yes but it seems minor really for an entire door change.
I thought so as well. Will have to check with the A.S.S


We went out for a drive today and I noticed the following:
  • There's a slight rattle coming from the LHS rear view mirror area while driving.
  • While parking the car into tight spots like the one shown in my previous post, I could hear faint creaking noises coming from the rear. Could this be due to the multi-link suspension at the rear?
  • The tyres have been upgraded to Bridgestone B290's by the dealer.
  • We noticed that the AC water had been leaking from the car after we parked it. We had taken the car for a 10 minute drive.

Are any of these normal?

Cheers
Vinay23 is offline  
Old 9th November 2019, 06:57   #668
BHPian
 
ranjithrnair's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: TRIVANDRUM/BANGALORE
Posts: 217
Thanked: 96 Times
Default

@Epic , are you sure that your car is having dual horn ? Mine is also a 2015 highline which has low tone only positioned near to the fog lamp on passenger side.
ranjithrnair is offline  
Old 9th November 2019, 09:12   #669
BHPian
 
tilt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Canada / B'lore
Posts: 567
Thanked: 1,395 Times
Default Re: 2015 Volkswagen Jetta Facelift : A Close Look

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjithrnair View Post
@Epic , are you sure that your car is having dual horn ? Mine is also a 2015 highline which has low tone only positioned near to the fog lamp on passenger side.

Mine has the dual-tone loud horn and mine's a 2015 facelift highline DSG.


Cheers
tilt is offline  
Old 9th November 2019, 14:42   #670
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 10
Thanked: 29 Times
Default Re: 2015 Volkswagen Jetta Facelift : A Close Look

Quote:
Originally Posted by Immix View Post
I have one and I am in Pune (Kalyani Nagar). Will PM you my contact details.
Hi. I did see your PM but somehow I am unable to trace it in the inbox.
I got the car scanned at FnG and found that there is fault in the front abs sensors. Which is the precise one or both is what I want to ascertain.
Dugzy is offline  
Old 9th November 2019, 18:36   #671
Senior - BHPian
 
Epic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,505
Thanked: 661 Times
Default Re: 2015 Volkswagen Jetta Facelift : A Close Look

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinay23 View Post
[list][*]There's a slight rattle coming from the LHS rear view mirror area while driving.
Probably the glass is a bit lose or has a bit of play.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinay23 View Post
[*]While parking the car into tight spots like the one shown in my previous post, I could hear faint creaking noises coming from the rear. Could this be due to the multi-link suspension at the rear?
Sometime it also could be the brakes. There is usually a creaking sound when the brakes are applied and the steering wheel is being turned when parking in tight spots. But I can't say for sure if this is the same thing you are referring to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinay23 View Post
[*]The tyres have been upgraded to Bridgestone B290's by the dealer.
As bad if not worse than the Goodyears but no point doing anything about it now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinay23 View Post
[*] We noticed that the AC water had been leaking from the car after we parked it. We had taken the car for a 10 minute drive.
When you say leaking; is this leaking inside the car or under the car? If inside the car then obviously not normal. If under the car, then it is normal like on any other car. The AC water has to go out from somewhere right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjithrnair View Post
@Epic , are you sure that your car is having dual horn ? Mine is also a 2015 highline which has low tone only positioned near to the fog lamp on passenger side.
Absolutely sure! I am surprised that yours hasn't come with the dual horn. Unless it has and the high tone isn't working?
Epic is offline  
Old 1st December 2019, 16:26   #672
BHPian
 
Vinay23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Chennai
Posts: 46
Thanked: 61 Times
Default Re: 2015 Volkswagen Jetta Facelift : A Close Look

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epic View Post
Probably the glass is a bit lose or has a bit of play.
Interestingly, I don't hear the rattle noise anymore. Very weird.



Quote:
Sometime it also could be the brakes. There is usually a creaking sound when the brakes are applied and the steering wheel is being turned when parking in tight spots. But I can't say for sure if this is the same thing you are referring to.
Yes, that's exactly what I was referring to! Creaking from the brakes? That's something I've never heard of.


Quote:
As bad if not worse than the Goodyears but no point doing anything about it now.
We intend on swapping the tyres to Michelin Primacy 4ST sometime soon. Not sure if the tyre dealers will buy back the current set.


Quote:
When you say leaking; is this leaking inside the car or under the car? If inside the car then obviously not normal. If under the car, then it is normal like on any other car. The AC water has to go out from somewhere right?
Under the car, yes. It's just that it felt it might be a bit more than just AC water, because it was quite a lot. The last time I noticed that was when we had our Indica years back .


Initially, I was kind of okay with the curb rashes on the rim. Now that I see the car every time I head out, the rims are such an eyesore!

We've been hunting for shops that refurbish rims as we have no intention of replacing the stock rims. Even otherwise, the car being toffee brown, nothing else other than the Atlanta's suit it best.

We also surfed the net through Ebay and the likes, but in vain.

I did suggest a DIY to my dad but he was strongly against it.

Please do let me know if you come across any such shop that refurbishes rims.
Vinay23 is offline  
Old 21st December 2019, 14:16   #673
Senior - BHPian
 
Epic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,505
Thanked: 661 Times
Default Re: 2015 Volkswagen Jetta Facelift : A Close Look

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinay23 View Post
Interestingly, I don't hear the rattle noise anymore. Very weird.
Weird but definitely in a good way. It is very common to mistake the source of a rattle. I faced a rattling issue from the front left passenger door and after breaking my head for weeks on trying to find the source, I realised that it was actually the iPod connection wire in the glove compartment that was the culprit. It however appeared to be coming from the door.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinay23 View Post
Yes, that's exactly what I was referring to! Creaking from the brakes? That's something I've never heard of.
Pretty normal in my experience. If the breaks are engaged and the steering is in a stationary position, you will definitely get a creaking sound from the brakes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinay23 View Post
We intend on swapping the tyres to Michelin Primacy 4ST sometime soon. Not sure if the tyre dealers will buy back the current set.
There is no reason why the dealer should not buy back those tyres in exchange for a new set. It all depends though how how much he will offer for them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinay23 View Post
Under the car, yes. It's just that it felt it might be a bit more than just AC water, because it was quite a lot. The last time I noticed that was when we had our Indica years back .
No harm in getting it checked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinay23 View Post
Please do let me know if you come across any such shop that refurbishes rims.
Honestly, I have not yet come across anyone who can refurbish rims with the same OEM factory finish.
Epic is offline  
Old 22nd December 2019, 21:01   #674
BHPian
 
Vinay23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Chennai
Posts: 46
Thanked: 61 Times
Default Re: 2015 Volkswagen Jetta Facelift : A Close Look

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epic View Post
Weird but definitely in a good way. It is very common to mistake the source of a rattle. I faced a rattling issue from the front left passenger door and after breaking my head for weeks on trying to find the source, I realised that it was actually the iPod connection wire in the glove compartment that was the culprit. It however appeared to be coming from the door.
I'd heard rattles on two separate occasions and I was able to locate the source of the rattle both times. The first was from the sunglass holder and the second was from my dad folding the RHS mirror manually as he was still learning the ropes on how to operate the mirrors.

Quote:
There is no reason why the dealer should not buy back those tyres in exchange for a new set. It all depends though how how much he will offer for them.
I am no pro at gauging tyre tread so I had no idea how far they'd driven the car as they used to shuttle it between a couple of dealers. Turns out they weren't used much and they did trade it for half the price of the 4ST's.

Quote:
No harm in getting it checked.
Will do


Quote:
Honestly, I have not yet come across anyone who can refurbish rims with the same OEM factory finish.
Sigh. Except for the rear right rim, everything else has some considerable scuffs.


Here are a few observations I made over the past two weeks which I failed to notice earlier.
  • The AC on start gives out a distinct smell even after getting the AC vents cleaned at 3M.
  • There's a family of slight parallel scratches that run across half of the rear door at the left. I didn't notice that earlier as the car was waxed before delivery. It isn't very prominent from most angles though.
  • There's so many scratches on the Instrument cluster ! Only visible when the car is turned off.
  • The seat belt tongue goes all the way down and sits in the gap between the seat and the B pillar. What's even funnier is, on consulting with the service engineer at the A.S.S we were told that it was normal for the passenger side seat belt to sag down like that I wish I was present there- would've definitely got an earful from me. Was finally able to figure out myself that the restraint for the tongue was missing.

Last edited by ajmat : 22nd December 2019 at 22:42. Reason: Removing extras smiley
Vinay23 is offline  
Old 17th January 2020, 20:07   #675
Senior - BHPian
 
Epic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,505
Thanked: 661 Times
Default Issue With Cruise Control Error

Hello everyone,

I have come across a problem lately which has something to do with the Cruise Control of my car.

The issue is that sometimes; not every time, I start my car for the day, an error with the Cruise Control appears on the MID. It is an 'exclamation mark with the cruise control sign' that shows on the MID. This error remains as long as I am driving the car and I am unable to use the cruise control function during this time. However, if I shut the car down and restart it, the error vanishes and everything goes back to normal.

I had given the car to the authorised VW Service Centre and neither did the error show at that time, nor did it show up in their scan. I fortunately have a scanner myself and when this error appeared again, I scanned the car immediately and the error found was that of the Cruise Control Switch. I took a screen shot of the same and showed it to the service centre again. The kept the car for a day and returned it saying they have updated the software (not sure which one) and the issue is solved. However, the issue has now been cropping up more often than before and I have sent them photos every time it did.

Here is the photo of the error on the MID
2015 Volkswagen Jetta Facelift : A Close Look-cruise-control-error.jpeg

I have unfortunately not saved the error of the scan but I'm sure I will be able to do this again. Will share it here.

Has anyone else faced this issue?
Epic is offline  
Reply

Most Viewed
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Copyright 2000 - 2021, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks