Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th March 2020, 20:10   #691
BHPian

Re: 2015 Volkswagen Jetta Facelift : A Close Look

any one know the exact Part number for Clock Spring for VW Jetta 2015 version ?
Old 20th April 2020, 22:30   #692
BHPian

Hello,

Does anyone have the e-owners manual for the FL Jetta?
Old 6th May 2020, 12:15   #693
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjithrnair View Post
@Epic , is there an update from your side ?
The error is now popping up every time I start my car regardless of the number of kilometres or duration driven.

The last communication with the Service Centre was the error reappearing post changing of the Cruise Control Switch. They had decided to call their Senior Technician from Pune to get the car checked. Unfortunately due to the lock down, everything is now at a standstill. My car's warranty expired on 16th March 2020 as well.

I have however sent them an email and put on record that since this issue has not been solved during the warranty period and is still not solved even after the warranty has expired, what ever repairs or replacements that have to be carried out to rectify this issue should be considered done under warranty. So far I have got a positive and encouraging reply. What ever has to be done can only be done post lock down.
Old 10th June 2020, 19:22   #694
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epic View Post
The error is now popping up every time I start my car regardless of the number of kilometres or duration driven.

The last communication with the Service Centre was the error reappearing post changing of the Cruise Control Switch. They had decided to call their Senior Technician from Pune to get the car checked. Unfortunately due to the lock down, everything is now at a standstill. My car's warranty expired on 16th March 2020 as well.

I have however sent them an email and put on record that since this issue has not been solved during the warranty period and is still not solved even after the warranty has expired, what ever repairs or replacements that have to be carried out to rectify this issue should be considered done under warranty. So far I have got a positive and encouraging reply. What ever has to be done can only be done post lock down.
UPDATE
So it appears that the problem has been resolved but I will observe the car and its behaviour for at least a month to be sure.

So here is what happened:
After VW changed the Cruise Control Switch, the Cruise Control Error had vanished. However, after 15 days or so, the error appeared again and we were all baffled trying to figure it out. A technician from their Pune factory was supposed to visit but then came the lock down and everything came to a halt. Till then the Cruise Control Error used to pop up intermittently only during the first start for the day. It never used to appear again during the rest of the day.

Now, during the lock down period, I noticed that the Cruise Control Error started appearing on every start. Also, the car felt a little restricted during start up. It used to start with a heavy vibration. Engine had more clatter than normal on idle. On some rare occasions, the engine used to sputter and stop while starting the car. It required a second crank to start. This situation started to slowly worsen during time.

Today morning when I started the car, the electricals shut off totally for a split second and came on again when the engine was cranked. It felt like as if there was a heavy load on the battery. I called a trusted battery shop and had them check the condition of the battery. It showed a weak battery and advised to have the battery changed. My current battery had done 3.2 years in total.

He fitted a spare battery and will be installing a new battery tomorrow. To my pleasant surprise, the car now starts absolutely smoothly in one crank. Engine idle is way smoother with negligible clatter. Best part - No Cruise Control Error. I cranked the car multiple times and its absolutely normal. No errors what so ever. I hope I am not speaking too soon but it appears that a dying battery was the culprit.

What I find odd though is why was only the Cruise Control showing an error, why no other component in the car? Why did the scan not show a weak battery?
Epic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th June 2020, 20:02   #695
BHPian

@Epic - Its unlikely that weak battery triggered the cruise control error.
Coincidentally I had the same issue of engine vibration and starting issue on first crank , it required second crank to start the car. It was sort of violent shaking than vibration . It happened during the warranty period , i suspected it to be something on the flywheel side, however service center ruled out stating its not due to DMF and changed the starter motor , the starting trouble went away post that . The vibration is still there which i believe is due to some bad mounting ..
Old 11th June 2020, 13:55   #696
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Coincidentally I had the same issue of engine vibration and starting issue on first crank , it required second crank to start the car. It was sort of violent shaking than vibration . It happened during the warranty period , i suspected it to be something on the flywheel side, however service center ruled out stating its not due to DMF and changed the starter motor , the starting trouble went away post that . The vibration is still there which i believe is due to some bad mounting ..
I started the car this morning while leaving for work and the car started immediately with first crank. No vibration, no clatter, no cruise control error.

I am not sure if the battery 'caused' the cruise control error but the weak battery definitely had a negative effect on the behaviour of the car. I guess the system has reset post disconnecting and reconnecting the battery which has made the cruise control error to vanish and reset the ECM as well which has made the car smoother. Only time will tell whether the cruise control error has been permanently solved or not.

I will continue to observe for at least a month or so before celebrating.
Old 11th June 2020, 14:05   #697
BHPian

Quote:
*SNIP*

I am not sure if the battery 'caused' the cruise control error but the weak battery definitely had a negative effect on the behaviour of the car. I guess the system has reset post disconnecting and reconnecting the battery which has made the cruise control error to vanish and reset the ECM as well which has made the car smoother. Only time will tell whether the cruise control error has been permanently solved or not.

I will continue to observe for at least a month or so before celebrating.
When I had this issue with my car (remember, I am the first one who responded to your initial post on this topic), the battery was absolutely fine. I doubt the battery had anything to do with your case. I believe it is just a coincidence.

But, I am glad the issue has not resurfaced for you yet, and I hope it never again does. Good luck.

Cheers
Old 16th June 2020, 17:20   #698
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
UPDATE
So it appears that the problem has been resolved but I will observe the car and its behaviour for at least a month to be sure.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by tilt View Post
When I had this issue with my car (remember, I am the first one who responded to your initial post on this topic), the battery was absolutely fine. I doubt the battery had anything to do with your case. I believe it is just a coincidence.
UPDATE:
So the problem has not been resolved after all and the battery was not the cause of this issue. Started the car this morning and the Cruise Control Error popped up again. The only saving grace was that on shutting off the car and starting it again, the error vanished. Also, the car started smoothly with no vibration or rough idle as it was before with the bad battery. Drove for around 10 kms to my office, shut off the car and started it again after 5 minutes and the error did not show again.

I am totally lost on what the problem could be and my only hope is that it is a bad 'Slip Ring / Clock Spring'.
Old 12th July 2020, 11:33   #699
BHPian

Hello ,

Post last service , i do observe the Radiator Fan coming ON quite early , assuming quite early since the temperature hovers around 60-70 C at even after 5-6 minutes of driving , the phenomenon happens only if the is moving, if its idling the Fan wont switch on until the engine is properly warmed up - 90c .. any thoughts ?
Old 14th July 2020, 13:44   #700
Senior - BHPian

UPDATE ON CRUISE CONTROL SWITCH ERROR

Quote:
UPDATE:
So the problem has not been resolved after all and the battery was not the cause of this issue. Started the car this morning and the Cruise Control Error popped up again.
So I faced this problem when using the spare battery given to me by the vendor as he did not have the DIN 60 in stock at that time. I assume this battery was faulty as well.

I would like to assume that the problem has now been resolved
I had installed a brand new battery on 23rd June 2020 and till date I have not face a single issue with the Cruise Control Switch Error popping up on the dash.

I am still going to continue to observe the car though.
Old 25th July 2020, 15:35   #701
BHPian

Quote:
UPDATE ON CRUISE CONTROL SWITCH ERROR

So I faced this problem when using the spare battery given to me by the vendor as he did not have the DIN 60 in stock at that time. I assume this battery was faulty as well.

I would like to assume that the problem has now been resolved
I had installed a brand new battery on 23rd June 2020 and till date I have not face a single issue with the Cruise Control Switch Error popping up on the dash.

I am still going to continue to observe the car though.
What is the status of your problem now? It appears that a bad battery in VW cars leads to all kinds of false alarms.
Old 28th July 2020, 16:28   #702
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by codwapeace View Post
What is the status of your problem now? It appears that a bad battery in VW cars leads to all kinds of false alarms.
Till date the car is running smoothly without any issues. No errors what so ever. Maybe German cars are sensitive to electrical signals and throw random errors if they occur.
Old 6th August 2020, 09:51   #703
BHPian

The battery on my Jetta failed for the second time in less than four years. The first Varta battery (made in Spain) was replaced within warranty on 1.5 years. The second Exide (made in Spain) failed recently after 2 years. I just went ahead and purchased another battery from VW to avoid any Ah mismatch as my vehicle is still under extended warranty. This time the battery no longer has any branding and is made in Austria. Hopefully this will last above the 2 year mark.

My question is why doesn't VW source the batteries locally?
Old 21st October 2020, 18:11   #704
BHPian

Infractions: 0/2 (9)

Hi. So I am in a big dilemma here. Been trying to find a suitable replacement for my 2010 Superb for some time. The car has been a huge reliability headache and a wallet burner (parts keep failing, no matter what) but the car has me smitten over it's engine and dynamics. Right now, in different minds between a 2014-16 Jetta / 2018-20 EcoSport / 2017-20 Nexon (all automatics). I am strictly staying away from Audi because extra premium tag for the same parts and association with a certain sports person whom I vehemently dislike (no offence, Audi owners). I know, The latter two would be easy on the wallet and even easier in the city and on bad roads but the 2.0 TDI and handling has me blown away. Should I bite the bullet or should I play safe and get the "hatchbacks"? Whatever the choice, I'll only keep it for 3-4 years before going for a more serious RWD upgrade. The vehicle would be plowing through the city traffic during weekdays and highways/hill stations during weekends/holidays.

Last edited by vredesbyrd : 21st October 2020 at 18:15.
Old 4th November 2020, 20:07   #705
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vredesbyrd View Post
Should I bite the bullet or should I play safe and get the "hatchbacks"?
I would get the Jetta over the Ecosport and Nexon for sure. It's fast, fun, frugal and practical, at a level that either of the two hatchbacks can only dream of. Reliability wise, it is pretty good. Only major issues i know of are the ABS sensor conking off, the water pump failing, and in some cases the headliner sagging. If you find a good Jetta DSG, don't let it go. You won't regret buying one.
iliketurtles is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks