Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th March 2015, 10:33   #106
BHPian

Re: 2015 Volkswagen Jetta Facelift : A Close Look

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitalstatistiks View Post
Overall, I came back extremely disappointed. More for myself than the car, honestly. Because I expected it to blow me away in terms of driving dynamics but it was nowhere near my expectations. Unfortunately, now I am thinking if a Jetta doesn’t tick, then there is no other car in this segment that can…
As akshay1234 suggested I too suggest you take a longer TD. Also make sure the tyre pressure is correct. It should make some difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zahir View Post
Of the 4 cars I have had recently, I found my Audi to be the lightest steering of them all. The Jetta & the i20 follow and the c-class comes in last. I'm so used to the feather touch movements of the q5 that I actually find my Jetta to be a little heavier in comparison especially when turning on the spot to take an opening. All in all, I still find the q5 the easiest to manoeuvre in traffic. In fact, I'm actually going to get the Jetta steering checked up for it's weight because I expected it to be lighter
I couldnt agree more I have driven the New E but I find my Q5's steering to be the lightest. It some time amazes me on how light the steering is compared to the size of the car. I think it has the right balance between light and heavy. Its not too light and at the same time its not too heavy. I sometime find my 2012 Lauras steering to be more on the heavier side.
Y@SH is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th March 2015, 11:56   #107
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitalstatistiks View Post
Overall, I came back extremely disappointed. More for myself than the car, honestly. Because I expected it to blow me away in terms of driving dynamics but it was nowhere near my expectations. Unfortunately, now I am thinking if a Jetta doesn’t tick, then there is no other car in this segment that can…
Quite a different review from what others including me have felt about the car. Not sure if the TD car had some insane tyre pressure 40psi and all or some steering issue.

The EPS is one of the better ones in the Jetta and though it doesn't compare to the hydraulic unit it weighs up very nicely. Highway stability and rock solid composure is the Jetta's forte. There's pretty much no car after the big 3 (Audi, BMW, Merc) that can match the Jetta when it comes to handling and dynamics. It's road holding capability is exceptional. Unless ofcourse the car had over inflated tyres which will ruin the steering and the handling completely.

Secondly, maybe your expectations are a bit different. My guess is, you are used to a car with a sharp steering response which is nimble or were expecting this in the Jetta. This allows one to change lanes easier. The Jetta is the opposite. It feels heavy and steering inputs are sharp but the weight of the car needs to be accounted for. This is true for majority of the european cars which feel heavy but wrap around you when you start pushing them through corners. This is what gives it the highway composure.

Secondly I see that you were expecting space and room for 3 in the back. That will never happen with the Germans and it only gets worse if you go higher up in the segment. Look at the C class, A4 and 3 series and you will see Jetta is equivalent if not more than some of them.

If you need a nimble car with lots of space, pls. check the Altis. I think that may suit your requirements more.
Vid6639 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 12th March 2015, 16:20   #108
BHPian

Folks, I have been reading up on various parts of the forum and the new Skoda Octavia thread as well.

I recently read that a 2 year extended warranty costs 21k for the Octavia 1.8 TSi, which is I think one of the more expensive options of that model. Pray tell me, why do Jetta owners pay double of that for the same extended warranty of 2 years. Is there something I am missing, or are we just being ripped off.

Other cars in a similar price bracket have much lower extended warranty premiums as well. I think this is something thats just not done.
Old 12th March 2015, 17:54   #109
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y@SH View Post
I couldnt agree more I have driven the New E but I find my Q5's steering to be the lightest. It some time amazes me on how light the steering is compared to the size of the car. I think it has the right balance between light and heavy. Its not too light and at the same time its not too heavy. I sometime find my 2012 Lauras steering to be more on the heavier side.

Fully agree, the Q5 is a beautifully put together car, very versatile for it's size.

On another note though, peculiar issue with my Jetta. The front driver door shuts with one smooth motion but the front passenger side door, pushed with the same effort always remains half shut. I need to open the door and shut it with force, only then does it fully shut. The SA actually tells me this is a security feature yes, because driving with a half-shut door will really keep me safe.

Anyone else face this issue?
Old 13th March 2015, 20:10   #110
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zahir View Post

On another note though, peculiar issue with my Jetta. The front driver door shuts with one smooth motion but the front passenger side door, pushed with the same effort always remains half shut. I need to open the door and shut it with force, only then does it fully shut. The SA actually tells me this is a security feature yes, because driving with a half-shut door will really keep me safe.

Anyone else face this issue?
Do you mean the door closes but doesn't shut all the way, or when you push the door it stops halfway from shutting i.e the middle position of these doors which have 3 stop hinges (if you can call them that).

If its the former, then some setting will need to be done to the lock on the door. The service guys will know what to do.
Old 13th March 2015, 23:46   #111
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
Do you mean the door closes but doesn't shut all the way, or when you push the door it stops halfway from shutting i.e the middle position of these doors which have 3 stop hinges (if you can call them that).

If its the former, then some setting will need to be done to the lock on the door. The service guys will know what to do.
Yep, door wouldn't shut completely when closed. Drivers side is perfect. Sort of fixed by the service center today.

Thanks
Old 14th March 2015, 00:00   #112
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mav2000 View Post
Folks, I have been reading up on various parts of the forum and the new Skoda Octavia thread as well.

I recently read that a 2 year extended warranty costs 21k for the Octavia 1.8 TSi, which is I think one of the more expensive options of that model. Pray tell me, why do Jetta owners pay double of that for the same extended warranty of 2 years. Is there something I am missing, or are we just being ripped off.
Jetta's extended warranty is not linked with any other aspects contributing to Dealer revenue / profit. It is a stand-alone product.

In case of Octavia, extended warranty is provided only if the customer opts for Insurance / Skoda shield / Road side assistance .. etc, from the Dealer. Dealer gets additional revenue / profit, through these supporting products.

Jetta's extended warranty is from VW. I am not sure if Octavia's extended warranty is from Skoda or it's Dealers.

Octavia owners, kindly correct me if I am wrong.
Chethan B G is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th March 2015, 00:19   #113
BHPian

That's right, Skoda offers Skoda Shield only if the prospective customers buy the insurance from them.
I guess they have a tie up with Bajaj Allianz for the same.
Vw let's you buy insurance from any company of your choice and that is purely separate from their extended warranty.
ishlinea7260 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th March 2015, 15:02   #114
BHPian

Hi Forum,

I am in a bit of dilemma about which car seat to buy from amazon.co.uk for my Jetta. I am looking at this particular car seat, and emailed the manufacturer asking whether its compatible with the Jetta. This is the response I got:

"In your vehicle hand book under the child seat section, there will be a table. Within that table, if it states that your vehicle conforms to a Universal B1 approval, then you can use the product in your vehicle installed with both Isofix and Top Tehther. Unfortunately if there is no Universal B1 approval, then you cannot use this seat."

Now I do not have access to the Jetta handbook as yet, I was wondering if some member could help me out by attaching a copy of the relevant page from the hand book here on the topic, so I do not have to wait till Saturday to order the car seat. I guess 2015 Jetta isnt any different from the previous Jetta as far as this goes, so previous Jetta owners may be able to help out as well.

Thanks in advance folks, really appreciate the help!
Old 19th March 2015, 18:10   #115
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryputtar View Post
Now I do not have access to the Jetta handbook as yet, I was wondering if some member could help me out by attaching a copy of the relevant page from the hand book here on the topic, so I do not have to wait till Saturday to order the car seat. I guess 2015 Jetta isnt any different from the previous Jetta as far as this goes, so previous Jetta owners may be able to help out as well.

Thanks in advance folks, really appreciate the help!
Technically, will it not be a waste of air-bags, if you cover them up?

Jetta's seat covers are good. My car is now 18 months young and seat covers are absolutely fine.

Just a suggestion.. If it better to use the car for some time and decide.
Old 19th March 2015, 18:21   #116
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chethan B G View Post
Technically, will it not be a waste of air-bags, if you cover them up?

Jetta's seat covers are good. My car is now 18 months young and seat covers are absolutely fine.

Just a suggestion.. If it better to use the car for some time and decide.
I think you got me wrong Chethan, my question is about child car seats. I am considering buying a specific Britax model, and its not clear from the Britax fit-finder if its compatible with the Jetta isofix connection points. Hence the question to the Britax folks in the UK, who came back with this answer.

So apparently in the Jetta handbook there is a section on child car seats, and it should mention if the Jetta conforms to a Universal B1 approval.

If you have the handbook handy, can you help me understand where the Jetta stands on this?
Old 20th March 2015, 12:52   #117
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I think you got me wrong Chethan, my question is about child car seats. I am considering buying a specific Britax model, and its not clear from the Britax fit-finder if its compatible with the Jetta isofix connection points. Hence the question to the Britax folks in the UK, who came back with this answer.

So apparently in the Jetta handbook there is a section on child car seats, and it should mention if the Jetta conforms to a Universal B1 approval.

If you have the handbook handy, can you help me understand where the Jetta stands on this?

2015 Volkswagen Jetta Facelift : A Close Look-child-seats_1.jpg

2015 Volkswagen Jetta Facelift : A Close Look-child-seats_2.jpg

2015 Volkswagen Jetta Facelift : A Close Look-child-seats_3.jpg

2015 Volkswagen Jetta Facelift : A Close Look-child-seats_4.jpg

Hope this helps!!
Chethan B G is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th March 2015, 13:15   #118
BHPian

Quote:

Hope this helps!!
Wish there was an option to thank more than once on that forum! You must have gone through a lot of pain to do this for me, thanks a lot Chethan.

Quote:
One last favour (hopefully) Chethan, could you confirm if you have these retaining rings (shown in Fig 77) behind the rear seat in your Jetta? Sorry for the trouble pal, and thanks again!
Old 20th March 2015, 15:56   #119
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Wish there was an option to thank more than once on that forum! You must have gone through a lot of pain to do this for me, thanks a lot Chethan.
You are welcome. No pain at all.

Quote:
One last favour (hopefully) Chethan, could you confirm if you have these retaining rings (shown in Fig 77) behind the rear seat in your Jetta? Sorry for the trouble pal, and thanks again!
Fig shows 3 retaining rings, but there are only 2 of them in my car. Center seat does not have the retaining ring.

Child seat cannot be fixed in the center of the back seat (If you have 4 adults and one child travelling in the car).
Chethan B G is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th March 2015, 16:39   #120
BHPian

Quote:
You are welcome. No pain at all.
Thats the spirit which makes this forum so awesome!

Quote:
Fig shows 3 retaining rings, but there are only 2 of them in my car. Center seat does not have the retaining ring.

Child seat cannot be fixed in the center of the back seat (If you have 4 adults and one child travelling in the car).
Thanks for the inputs Chethan, so it looks like I might be able to order what I wanted to order .

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks