Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 20th March 2015, 22:48   #121
BHPian

Re: 2015 Volkswagen Jetta Facelift : A Close Look

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitalstatistiks View Post

Overall, I came back extremely disappointed. More for myself than the car, honestly. Because I expected it to blow me away in terms of driving dynamics but it was nowhere near my expectations. Unfortunately, now I am thinking if a Jetta doesn’t tick, then there is no other car in this segment that can…
Your TD seems to be insufficient to judge a car of that size. If you have been driving the Jazz regularly , even a Vento or a City would feel bigger atleast on the first drive. Cant infer a reason why the Jetta wont feel spacious or big to you. When the report on a TD are based on "Personal Experience", hard facts should prevail. It is a bigger car if we look at the dimensions. As far as the agility is concerned, if you upgrade from a Hatch to a Sedan, how will you judge that in a single TD? Also, Jetta comes with mutli link suspension across the range unlike Octavia. That didnt help? No effect on handling? If none of this impressed you from a driver perspective, iam afraid you have to move a segment above

Last edited by spyder_p8 : 20th March 2015 at 22:56. Reason: spelling correction.
Old 21st March 2015, 15:19   #122
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyder_p8 View Post
Your TD seems to be insufficient to judge a car of that size. If you have been driving the Jazz regularly , even a Vento or a City would feel bigger atleast on the first drive. Cant infer a reason why the Jetta wont feel spacious or big to you. When the report on a TD are based on "Personal Experience", hard facts should prevail. It is a bigger car if we look at the dimensions.
Not sure if you driven a Jazz, but if you haven't please give it a shot. It is not a Santro. The interior space from a driver's perspective in the Jetta is not discernibly bigger. And no, a Vento or a City do not seem 'bigger' in comparison either. Exterior dimension, and our perception of the size of the car should not color on dimension that i am referring to. Of course, there'd be more legroom to work on the back, but on the driver's side, it did not feel like an upgrade worth 3 times more money.

[/quote] As far as the agility is concerned, if you upgrade from a Hatch to a Sedan, how will you judge that in a single TD? Also, Jetta comes with mutli link suspension across the range unlike Octavia. That didnt help? No effect on handling? If none of this impressed you from a driver perspective, iam afraid you have to move a segment above [/quote]

Umm, I am buying a D segment car after a hatch, but a hatch is not the only car i have driven in life. Like I said, may be my expectations from Jetta were through the roof. Like some of the other helpful commentators have mentioned, may be the electric steering of Jetta needs more time to get used to. Nothing to do with size honestly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Quite a different review from what others including me have felt about the car. Not sure if the TD car had some insane tyre pressure 40psi and all or some steering issue.

The EPS is one of the better ones in the Jetta and though it doesn't compare to the hydraulic unit it weighs up very nicely. Highway stability and rock solid composure is the Jetta's forte. There's pretty much no car after the big 3 (Audi, BMW, Merc) that can match the Jetta when it comes to handling and dynamics. It's road holding capability is exceptional. Unless ofcourse the car had over inflated tyres which will ruin the steering and the handling completely.

Secondly, maybe your expectations are a bit different. My guess is, you are used to a car with a sharp steering response which is nimble or were expecting this in the Jetta. This allows one to change lanes easier. The Jetta is the opposite. It feels heavy and steering inputs are sharp but the weight of the car needs to be accounted for. This is true for majority of the european cars which feel heavy but wrap around you when you start pushing them through corners. This is what gives it the highway composure.

Secondly I see that you were expecting space and room for 3 in the back. That will never happen with the Germans and it only gets worse if you go higher up in the segment. Look at the C class, A4 and 3 series and you will see Jetta is equivalent if not more than some of them.

If you need a nimble car with lots of space, pls. check the Altis. I think that may suit your requirements more.
I'll take your word Vid, for Jetta's handling and dynamics. It is a good point that you raise about the type pressure, will keep an eye on it in the next TD. But honestly, the steering felt extremely light, compared not only to a Jazz but to ANHC and Cruz (my other two reference points, cars which I have driven extensively) as well. While i thought a 15 minute TD should be good enough, I will take it out for another spin. The car is honestly the only I want to buy in this segment, need to be more patient with it

Last edited by Eddy : 21st March 2015 at 18:30. Reason: Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD!
Vitalstatistiks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2015, 15:54   #123
BHPian

Just when we say the 2015 Jetta looks like a passat, comes a spyshot of a 2015 VENTO facelift and it looks like the 2015 Jetta!

The three chrome slats on the grill, the revised bumper with airdams and new angular fog lamps all similar to the 2015 Jetta! Wonder when will VW style each car distinctly!
I was keen on the 2015 Jetta for its revised looks and the updated interiors. However this just killed it!
Save for the larger proportions and the LED DRLS it looks strikingly similar just like they did back in 2011.
Source: IAB REPORT
Attached Images

Y@SH is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2015, 17:33   #124
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y@SH View Post
I was keen on the 2015 Jetta for its revised looks and the updated interiors. However this just killed it!
For a second, if you forget that the Jetta looks like it's lower sibling Vento, there is nothing wrong with the design. In fact, it looks very elegant.

Having 4 different designs for the lineup, with minimum drag could be expensive. May-be, this is one of the ways to cut cost?
Old 23rd March 2015, 17:39   #125
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post
A closer look at the new two-piece tail lamp. The "2.0 TDI" badge has been dropped. New badge simply says "TDI". TDI gets a blue "I"...

...while the TSI has the "I" in red. Someone from VW said that blue = efficiency, red = performance.
Just noticed that, in case of the TSI engines, as the engines scale up (1.2 > 1.4 > 2.0) even the other letters are colored in red.

For instance, the 1.2 TSI in the Polo is all chrome:

2015 Volkswagen Jetta Facelift : A Close Look-dsc_0754b.jpg

The 1.4 TSI (Jetta, Golf) has the I in red:

2015 Volkswagen Jetta Facelift : A Close Look-vw_golf_1.4_tsi_team_vi__heckansicht_26._mrz_2011_ratingen.jpg

And the 2.0 TSI (EOS) has both the S and I in red:

2015 Volkswagen Jetta Facelift : A Close Look-vw_eos_2.0_tsi_exclusive_facelift__heckansicht_3._juli_2011_essen.jpg
Gannu_1 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 28th March 2015, 14:22   #126
BHPian

Folks
Need some help here. Am looking to buy the HL DSG TDI variant. Have never owned an European car before and all my life have been with Hyundai. Currently driving a Sonata Transform Diesel MT. I am thinking of changing to a VW AT because bumper to bumper traffic in Bangalore is just impossible to drive a MT. Thinking this will be a good buy but other than the fact that it's an engineering masterpiece and built like a tank I really don't know the pros and cons in detail. I did go for a 40min TD and found it brilliant to drive. However since am very used to Hyundai and maintenance of the same I am sceptical of A.S.S of the VW.
Planning to keep the Hyundai as well but I need some pointers here on what I need to be wary of when I buy this. Also I hear the DQ200 DSG has some issues. Is this facelift equipped with that? I read some reviews saying some parts were replaced under warranty and other issues with AC and other electronics. Is that prevalent across most of the models or just isolated incidents.
Any pointers and helpful advice will help. I must say the Hyundai Sonata has been a phenomenal ownership experience and touchwood its awesome to drive. I just wish I had an AT though and was built like a tank.
Old 28th March 2015, 23:22   #127
Team-BHP Support

Frankly, the 6 speed DSG have not given problems although the odd electronic failure has happened in earlier cars. Later cars are ok. Three years on and I am personally happy with the Jetta, with the exception of a failed water pump seal.

VW Palace Cross , Rajajinagar provide excellent service in my opinion
ajmat is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th March 2015, 19:14   #128
BHPian

Thanks Ajmat. What is the opinion on the cost of spares and service cost per annum. Just for comparison sake I spend about 12k per year on my Sonata. Appreciate the help here. Cheers.
Old 30th March 2015, 23:14   #129
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cars_crazy View Post
What is the opinion on the cost of spares and service cost per annum.
Should cost about 12 - 15K per service, for regular maintenance. Yearly cost depends on usage.

If you plan to invest on extended warranty, not tamper too much with electricals and drive safe; You will be a happy and satisfied owner.

German cars can be hard on the pocket, in case of untoward incidents; Otherwise, they are awesome to own.
Old 31st March 2015, 19:34   #130
BHPian

HI Forum,

I have decided on child car seats for the kids (one imported from the UK, one sourced locally from Shoppers Stop), and they are both 8KG each.

Before I fit them into my Jetta, I have a bit of concern about the weight of the seats. Would you guys recommend buying mats for the seats, then placing the seats on the mats rather than directly on the seat? I am just wondering if the combined weight of the car seat and the child will cause any lasting damage on the premium leatherette seats of the Jetta, if put directly on the seat. Any inputs friends?

The other thing I need advice on is how to clean my Jetta without depending on the local help. Does anyone have a definitive process for cleaning the Jetta, without the paint being affected? Any links to products which may help achieve this?

Thanks for the inputs in advance forum!
Old 31st March 2015, 21:29   #131
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chethan B G View Post
Should cost about 12 - 15K per service, for regular maintenance. Yearly cost depends on usage.

If you plan to invest on extended warranty, not tamper too much with electricals and drive safe; You will be a happy and satisfied owner.

German cars can be hard on the pocket, in case of untoward incidents; Otherwise, they are awesome to own.
Thanks Chetan. Guess its now up to me to just make a decision. Thank you both for all ur help. Will consider the inputs and make a choice soon.
Old 4th April 2015, 06:37   #132
BHPian

Hi Forum, just a few more queries.. apologies!

I took a second test drive and I am almost convinced that am buying the Jetta HL DSG variant. However, some discussions with Apple Auto VW dealer in BLR left me confused.

1) the media cable with the new iPhone lightening connector, they say its an add-on accessory and is not part of the deal; is that so?
2) Is there a run-in / break-in period for the engine? I get mixed views about it.
3) In both the TD's I failed to notice if the HL DSG variant had a seat back pocket for the front seats.. If any one can confirm that will be great
4) In-city and highway mileage they claim is 15kmpl and 18+ kmpl respectively. Is that really true? thats just too good for an AT vehicle I thought.
5) After a few years of ownership, has anyone experienced any rattling issues from dashboard or A/B/C pillars? I know I shouldnt ask this on a German VW but call me paranoid after my experience with Hyundais. Obviously the dealers say no issues but I just want to hear the forum's experience. Any rattling noises at all after a few years?
6) I am being told that I cannot have these dealers buy back the stock tyres in exchange for Michellins before I take the car for delivery. Do VW dealers have a choice to say no to such things?

Any helpful information will be much appreciated. Thanks again and hopefully I get my VW soon so I can share some ownership experience reports soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryputtar View Post

Before I fit them into my Jetta, I have a bit of concern about the weight of the seats. Would you guys recommend buying mats for the seats, then placing the seats on the mats rather than directly on the seat?

Does anyone have a definitive process for cleaning the Jetta, without the paint being affected? Any links to products which may help achieve this?
Not that I own a Jetta (yet) to say this but since I have experience with leather seats, children seats and car cleaning, I shall give you my two bobs worth..

Normally good quality child seats come with all the bells and whistles that do not damage your car upholstry. You could check for those in the one that you are importing from UK. They should be having NO sharp edges, or any such thing that damages your car seats. That said, it is always up to us to ensure that we fit them properly; we dont move them across the seats, we lift and place etc. if you are very sceptical, a good thick towel or a blanket folded between the child seat and your car leather seat should generally suffice. Just make sure they dont get in the way of the child seat harness

About cleaning, local help is always never going to meet your expectation, especially if they are the building security guards who do the cleaning. So a few basic tips:
1. Never dust the car when dry. Always ensure that they pour water before anything.
2. Quality of cloth is also a concern. I always buy the cleaning cloth for them to use.
3. the VW wiper blades are a bit tricky with the bonnet closed. atleast, i found them so - one lifts up easily and the other has a tendency to stay stuck. Just let them know not to force them up.
4. Tell them in advance about the ORVM. There is a tendency that they may try and force close or force open these electric folding mirrors.
5. Atleast once a half year, take it to an authorized 3M store for good wash (if you are not a DIY man yourself).

Just my thoughts. others may differ

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 23rd June 2015 at 10:16. Reason: Consecutive posts merged.
Old 4th April 2015, 07:49   #133
BHPian

Quote:
1) the media cable with the new iPhone lightening connector, they say its an add-on accessory and is not part of the deal; is that so?
The lightning connector came with my 2013 HL DSG. Not sure if something has been changed in the 2014 version. There is a USB connector available for MEDIA-IN and that costs extra.
Quote:
Is there a run-in / break-in period for the engine? I get mixed views about it.
Though there is no recommended run-in period in the manual in the little that I read, I would keep a light foot fr the first 2000 kms. Just drive normally in city and highway , make sure that the RPMS do not stay the same for a long time and you should be fine. Modern cars do not require a very diligent run-in nowadays.
Quote:
3) In both the TD's I failed to notice if the HL DSG variant had a seat back pocket for the front seats.. If any one can confirm that will be great
my 2013 HL DSG has seat back pockets
Quote:
4) In-city and highway mileage they claim is 15kmpl and 18+ kmpl respectively. Is that really true? thats just too good for an AT vehicle I thought.
It is very close in real life. After 6000 kms, I get around 15 kmpl in moving city traffic (even slow moving) , around 12-13 in absolute stop and start city traffic and more than 18 kmpl in highway driving as long as you keep it between 80-110 kmph
Quote:
5) After a few years of ownership, has anyone experienced any rattling issues from dashboard or A/B/C pillars? I know I shouldnt ask this on a German VW but call me paranoid after my experience with Hyundais. Obviously the dealers say no issues but I just want to hear the forum's experience. Any rattling noises at all after a few years?
Had the car only for 6 months. No rattles yet (touchwood).. I had a verna for more than 6 years before the jetta and it began to develop rattles in the dash area only after 5 years due to a loose screw. Rattles are always hit or miss.
Quote:
6) I am being told that I cannot have these dealers buy back the stock tyres in exchange for Michellins before I take the car for delivery. Do VW dealers have a choice to say no to such things?
You can get the brand new tyre exchanged at any tyre dealer right after you buy the car. A lot of poeple have done it in bangalore with the new jetta. You may want to lookup mavs2000 ownership thread.

The HL DSG is a great car.You will love the Auto in bangalore city traffic. I refuse to drive manuals nowadays after being spoiled by the DSG.
The car is comfortable only for 4 adults. The hump in the middle is prominent and makes life uncomfortable foe the 5th adult. I am sure you would have noticed it. The car will no turn heads in the road and most people will think it is a vento. If you are looking for car that grabs people's attention, then jetta is not that car. The Xenon headlights and the LED DRL's though get people's attention.

Hope this helps and good luck with your purchase
etrast75 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th April 2015, 12:58   #134
BHPian

Thanks etrast75 for a prompt response.. since you had a previous gen Jetta, I guess some of them would have changed with the facelift. Let's see what the other forum members who have a 2015 facelift have to say.

Your praises for the DSG and the confirmation on mileage are absolutely confidence inspiring, thanks! One more vote goes in favour of the purchase.

I am not the guy who wants the cars to turn heads, thankfully. I just want a very comfortable, safe and well built car, that makes all my drives enjoyable, plus an after sales service and ownership experience that's not stressful. On that note, am just hoping that I cannot go wrong with the Jetta.
cars_crazy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th April 2015, 10:45   #135
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Forum, just a few more queries.. apologies!

I took a second test drive and I am almost convinced that am buying the Jetta HL DSG variant. However, some discussions with Apple Auto VW dealer in BLR left me confused.

2) Is there a run-in / break-in period for the engine? I get mixed views about it.

Any helpful information will be much appreciated. Thanks again and hopefully I get my VW soon so I can share some ownership experience reports soon.
Let me try & help you out since I have the 2015 hl dsg

1. I got the cable with the car. No haggling required.
2. Most modern engines are pre-in during testing. Don't go over 4k for the first 1500km but do hit it occasionally. Just vary speed & modes(d & s)
3. Yes it does
4. In city, I get about 9-10 but my car is a month old & this should improve. I drive in bumper to bumper traffic
5. Unsure but the quality is down a notch compared to the mk5
6. I changed my tires to Michelin p3sts after 300km. Upton 500km you will get a full buyback on your tires, do it externally for the best price.
Zahir is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed