Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th February 2015, 22:34   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Rumour: VW Jetta facelift launching soon in India *EDIT: launched!*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
So the inevitable has happened. Ex showroom Delhi of the Highline DSG has crossed 20L. That means that road tax for states like Karnataka goes up by 5% which is 1L more.

Effectively 30-40K price increase of facelift means it crosses 20L by 17 thousand rupees. This 17 thousand results in additional road tax increase of 1 lakh!!

This makes it a big problem.
Don't these car makers know of such facts? Or is it some grand scheme hand in hand with the government? More so when the competition is still priced below that crucial mark, which now would translate into an even bigger price difference in the OTR price. Time and again I have read on the forum about this issue whether it is the 10L mark or the 20L mark.
drmohitg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th February 2015, 22:59   #17
BHPian

The facelift is a bummer to me. It's got a lower state of tune than the Octavia and I think the rest of the features are almost at par. Two good additions are the fatigue detection system and the adaptive headlamps. The price of HL DSG is very close to the Octavia elegance.
Old 18th February 2015, 00:16   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombiedriver View Post
The facelift is a bummer to me. It's got a lower state of tune than the Octavia and I think the rest of the features are almost at par. Two good additions are the fatigue detection system and the adaptive headlamps. The price of HL DSG is very close to the Octavia elegance.
To me the biggest let down is the lack of memory seats, same power config & no reverse camera, things that should now be standard in this segment. I love the look of the Jetta but the Octavia is ahead of the game here in terms of features.
Old 18th February 2015, 06:19   #19
Senior - BHPian

What's commendable is that there is no differentiation between variants when it comes to safety features. All Jetta variants get a full complement of safety features and the differentiation comes in the form of chrome bits here and there, audio system, projector headlights, DRLs and the like.
arvi86 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th February 2015, 12:59   #20
Team-BHP Support

I guess there are absolutely zero mechanical changes as they might have gotten away by skipping homologation with only bumper, tail lamp and steering wheel changes.
Old 18th February 2015, 16:58   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Don't these car makers know of such facts? Or is it some grand scheme hand in hand with the government? More so when the competition is still priced below that crucial mark, which now would translate into an even bigger price difference in the OTR price. Time and again I have read on the forum about this issue whether it is the 10L mark or the 20L mark.
Car makers do take into consideration Govt. excise duty slabs which are applicable to the entire country. Proof of this is the plethora of Sub 4 metre sedans and sub 1.2L petrol and 1.5L diesel engines. Don't know if the same attention is paid to road tax slabs of different states while pricing their products. Excise duty is paid by the car manufacturer while road tax is paid by the consumer. But the net effect is that it adds to the OTR price that the customer has to pay.

Silly of VW to price the highline beyond 20L by such a small margin. 19.99L sounds so much better than 20.17L!

Last edited by Santoshbhat : 18th February 2015 at 17:11.
Santoshbhat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th February 2015, 19:02   #22
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: 2015 Volkswagen Jetta Facelift : A Close Look

Still remains my favourite car from the segment.

The build feels more substantial than the light MQB-platform Octavia. More importantly, the Jetta's rear multi-link suspension is a level or two above the Octavia's cheap torsion beam setup.

The biggest improvement is - surprisingly - on the base variant. 6 airbags, climate control, MID et al, the Trendline is no longer a 'poverty spec' trim. Even in terms of price, the Trendline is only 1.2 lakhs more expensive than it's original launch price in 2011. On the other hand, the Highline diesel has become 2.2 lakhs more expensive (in the same period). It's depressing that the Jetta Highline still doesn't get leather seats, sunroof or navigation - seriously VW!

Because of the simpler mechanicals, this car is quite the workhorse. My brother's Jetta has done 30,000 kms, as has Ajmat's car. Neither of them have faced a single warranty replacement yet.

I think the choice between the Jetta & Octavia is simple:

Diesel = Jetta
Petrol = Octavia (thanks to the monster 1.8L)

Last edited by GTO : 19th February 2015 at 19:04.
GTO is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 19th February 2015, 19:39   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Good thing that the Jetta now has 6 airbags standard across the range, even if it lost two in the top end variant.

A thing to learn for its rivals who either offer 6 airbags in the top end or don't bother offering anything above 2 airbags at all. Looking at you Toyota...

BTW. TBHP team!!! All the cars have been tested, but the one car that's really selling in this segment has not been given the full test drive honours. The Corolla.
Old 19th February 2015, 20:12   #24
BHPian

Having seen the car in flesh at the VW service centre recently I feel this is the best looking of the lot in the segment. The rear especially looks much much better in person than it does in pictures.

Why they dont provide a decently specced petrol is beyond me. Even the 1.4 TSI + DSG in 140 PS 250 NM torque spec should be good to go! Guess that will have to wait till the generation change.

It is really sad that some "luxury" features like Sunroof, Navigation, etc. are still not added to even the top variant. I mean not so long ago one paid so much money for a well specced Superb!

For someone considering this they should give a good look at the current Superb as i feel that may have some significant discounts. As such both cars are near the end of their lifecycle.
Old 19th February 2015, 20:24   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Still remains my favourite car from the segment.

The build feels more substantial than the light MQB-platform Octavia. More importantly, the Jetta's rear multi-link suspension is a level or two above the Octavia's cheap torsion beam setup.

The biggest improvement is - surprisingly - on the base variant. 6 airbags, climate control, MID et al, the Trendline is no longer a 'poverty spec' trim. Even in terms of price, the Trendline is only 1.2 lakhs more expensive than it's original launch price in 2011. On the other hand, the Highline diesel has become 2.2 lakhs more expensive (in the same period). It's depressing that the Jetta Highline still doesn't get leather seats, sunroof or navigation - seriously VW!

Because of the simpler mechanicals, this car is quite the workhorse. My brother's Jetta has done 30,000 kms, as has Ajmat's car. Neither of them have faced a single warranty replacement yet.

Diesel = Jetta
MQB has its benefits too, wheelbase is 4cm longer which means more leg room, and less weight means bit more peppy to drive. When we compare Jetta to Octavia power to weight ratio of 138@4200 vs 141@4000 (Octavia has bit more power at 200 rpm earlier) and power to torque ratio of 228/ton@1750-2500 vs 239/ton@1750-3000, so Octavia has more wider torque band. Just wondering even for diesel isn't Octavias engine better when compared to Jetta?
Old 19th February 2015, 20:52   #26
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Ahem! I had an ABS sensor changed.

To be fair, there is little VW could do to improve it. I do wish I had Xenons and bluetooth though

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 21st October 2020 at 09:32. Reason: typo edited
ajmat is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 19th February 2015, 21:08   #27
BHPian

It's commendable for VW to offer all safety features across the range. Something only cars >30 lakh usually offer.

The upgrades are subtle, yet provide the car the new air it actually needed.

Good job VW.
prakhar1998 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 19th February 2015, 22:36   #28
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Ahem! I had an ABS sensor changed.

To be fair, there is little VW could do to improve it. I do wih I had Xenons and bluetooth though
And memory seats. I miss these when there are multiple drivers. It's not easy to get the right position everytime with electric seats.
Vid6639 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th February 2015, 23:32   #29
Senior - BHPian

Why cant manufacturers offer all black interiors as an option at least? We aren't asking for myriad options off a configurator! Just a choice for interior shade. That's the main thing I don't like about the Jetta! The first model that we got here had so much better interiors.

Quote:

Diesel = Jetta
The petrol Octavia also gets the multi-link suspension. So, that seals it I guess.
deetjohn is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th February 2015, 23:56   #30
BHPian

As a relatively new Jetta owner following are the observations I have made after seeing the pics of the 2015 Jetta.

1. Jetta Trendline is the new Comfortline.

The VFM model of the Jetta has always been Comfortline till date but thanks to this facelift , even in trendline now one gets MID, ACC, steering mounted controls and the sporty steering wheel.

2.The front is definitely now "Passat" like.

Earlier people used to say that the Jetta looks a lot like its younger sibling -Vento, which some used it as a against the Jetta. At least now they won't have a problem since the new model resembles the "expensive" car.

3.The rear resembles a lot like the A4.

Even the pre face lift model had a lot resemblance like the A4 from the rear but the 2015 model makes it almost visually indistinguishable from the Audi.

4.As already been pointed in some posts the car still loses out to the competition chiefly its Skoda cousin in terms of some features like sunroof, leather seats which would have been a welcome change to the car since essentially this is third surgery the Jetta has gone under ever since launch.

Now the pricing.
In September 2011 the DSG variant retailed for 17.86(As per T bhp official review) and in 2015 it is going for 20.17.
A cool difference of 2.30!

Over the years there have been significant price increments over all ranges of vehicles , so much so that the top end Jetta and Octavia of today bear a price tag similar to what Superb had ,say 2 years ago!
It almost makes a person wonder whether one should buy the latest launch at that time or wait for the vehicle to establish some kind of credibility and read quite a bit of online ownership reviews and then buy one but at the same time risk spending a substantial amount more.

I bought mine in Comfortline trim for 15.30 ex showroom (after discounts) in November 2014.
Now the ex showroom price of the same car is 17.30 (Delhi).

This difference in amount easily translates to registration costs,insurance as well as the extended warranty.

After the purchase my friends were asking me why didn't I wait for the newer model as the facelift was around the corner.
Now I know all I have to do is to direct them to this post.

Last edited by ishlinea7260 : 19th February 2015 at 23:58.
ishlinea7260 is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks