Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 20th February 2015, 01:24   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: 2015 Volkswagen Jetta Facelift : A Close Look

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Because of the simpler mechanicals, this car is quite the workhorse. My brother's Jetta has done 30,000 kms, as has Ajmat's car. Neither of them have faced a single warranty replacement yet.
My car has also done 30,000 Kms (18 months). Until now, AC Solenoid and one door actuator has been replaced under warranty. Overall, ownership experience has been excellent.

I get a feeling that VW is trying to play it safe, by not providing with a higher tune engine. The present state of tune has enough power and has a practical advantage of not having to worry too much, about the fuel quality. I have filled Diesel in many places and not faced any problem.

Even the alloys (complimented by Eagle NCT5's ?) on the car are so tough, that I need not worry about the condition of the roads that I drive on. Each time I take the car for a long trip, I get the feeling that the car is literally built to last. Only concern if any, is the electronics..

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Ahem! I had an ABS sensor changed.

To be fair, there is little VW could do to improve it. I do wih I had Xenons and bluetooth though
I agree. Jetta is a true work-horse.

Present offer looks very attractive. Considering that this is only a face lift and not a generation change, I am happy with the little extras it brings in. For one, it no longer looks like a Vento.
Chethan B G is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 20th February 2015, 02:11   #32
Senior - BHPian

Generations after generations everytime i see this car i always tell myself the MKV was the best from this stable and i paid for a trendline(Current) and got a high line is minus memory seats. For the same reason i advice my friends to look out for MKV in used market which is a steal to buy for it price.

I cannot believe version after version they only concentrate on looks and eliminate the finesse their older cars had.

I am a big fan of Jetta even more after driving accord for a year now. Imagine my plight of bitching about the Honda everyday and everytime i sit on that driver seat being reminded of a perceptive luxury that i am missing now.

Jetta is great as long as it is running without issues. The biggest threat for these german cars are RATS. Not joking, they can cause damages so fine that you feel like shooting yourself in your head when they show chewed parts.

Jetta at this price range is not going to sell much. I dont see myself paying for the highline the same point where any logical mind would say get that Superb. I may end up driving a superb, feeling like driving a s class(mildy over exaggerating but that rear space is a football field) while paying pennies compared to the merc.

The pricing is aweful and makes Audi starting line ups actually look affordable if i am after highline

Last edited by VW2010 : 20th February 2015 at 02:12.
VW2010 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th February 2015, 07:59   #33
Team-BHP Support

Thanks for the report! With this update VW have made an already attractive car even more pleasing. It would have been better if VW provided an option for all-black interiors, or at least replace those faux-wood panels with black/brushed aluminum inserts. And yes, memory seats should have been there on the highline variant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
The pricing is aweful and makes Audi starting line ups actually look affordable if i am after highline
The pricing is slightly on the higher side, but considering how the prices have gone up for the big-3 Germans, this looks decent as the immediate next option. Forget the starting line-up, the Jetta highline DSG is identical or better spec-ed than the Audi A3 Premium Plus variant, that too with a difference of 10 lakhs+ on ex-showroom price.
vb-saan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th February 2015, 08:37   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

The Jetta has always been my favorite car in that segment. The exterior designing is classic and timeless and the interiors have now become much more plush compared to the launch model. The comparison to Octavia is inevitable and that Octavia looks even more gorgeous to me except that Skoda tag.

But as stated above the key is pricing. The difference between the Jetta and the Altis/Elantra is significant and combined with stellar reputation of Toyota Altis, it should remain the segment leader and Jetta will find it hard to better its sales figures.

Last edited by drmohitg : 20th February 2015 at 08:38.
Old 20th February 2015, 09:03   #35
BHPian

Is it some kind of a joke to provide such a music system and 2 speakers for models below highline? Guess the new polo/vento owners can say that they share the same music system
Old 20th February 2015, 09:12   #36
Senior - BHPian

The updated Jetta looks gorgeous, no two ways about it. Also i am happy that VW did not cut corners in the safety department and things like ESC, EDL, 6 airbags etc are standard even on trendline. They could have gone the Toyota way and omitted things like ESP, reduce the number of airbags to 2 to significantly lower the price but am very happy that VW did not take that route with their D segment sedan. Safety features cost a lot but people in India will mostly prefer a gimmicky sunroof or reverse cam to things like ESP etc.
I was shocked when i came to know that Altis has only 2 airbags, even the Cruze has 4 now.

Had a good drive in Jetta last year and was blown away by the ride/handling balance of this car, the steering feel was a little disappointing but had tons of fun with the super slick 6 speed gearbox and the zero lag engine. The in gear acceleration is fantastic like other VW cars. Driving back home in my Vento, it felt as if it is not even made by VW.

VW needs to improve their after sales a lot, they have already given a lot of headaches to me in 3 years of ownership of their car but their is just no choice in d segment other than Jetta/Octavia for enthusiasts.
coolboy007 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th February 2015, 09:27   #37
BHPian

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post messages that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further. We request you to post ONLY when you have something substantial to add to a discussion.

Last edited by GTO : 26th February 2015 at 15:11.
AirWind is offline   Received Infraction
Old 20th February 2015, 11:31   #38
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baddychat View Post

I haven't driven the 1.4 TSi so I would like to know from someone here how it stands in comparison to the Altis petrol. Come what may it will not set the sales charts on fire..
If I may weigh in..

The 1.4 TSI is a great motor. There is a bit of lag at the bottom-end but it does get pretty torquey as you build the revs. However, it lacks the outright punch we've come to expect, especially higher in the rev-band. The mid-range torque is pretty good.

Although the 6-speed manual is silky smooth and an absolute joy to use, I personally believe that VW has missed a trick by not mating this engine with a DSG. It would've certainly made this slow-mover (in terms of sales) a lot more appealing.

EDIT The Altis feels way more torquey and from even lower in the rev-range. It scores in terms of urban drivability, but I'd take the Jetta because it feels like the more fun car, especially with that slick-shifting gearbox, taut suspension and a turbo that feels great when in the zone.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 20th February 2015 at 11:37.
suhaas307 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th February 2015, 13:41   #39

The front looks really good. Tail section doesn't appeal to me over the previous model. Maybe have to see it in person.

And what's with the 6 airbags? I proudly tell everyone that my car has 8 airbags! Why reduce 2 for newer models? And if cost cutting is the case then why not add some more features like parking camera or sunroof? Would have really sweetened the deal!

The craze of LED DRLs is really catching on with the prospective customers. But now even sub 10 lakh cars have got them. Thus the more focus on cosmetic upgrades than performance/feature upgrades it seems.

Also the review suggests that the interior built quality/finish is a notch lower than the previous model which is again an individual preference, but for me, ranks high in the checklist while buying a new car.

Cheers.
Aniket_N is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th February 2015, 14:06   #40
BHPian

As compared to last years model, the minor design changes are less appealing now. Last years model had a really classy stance. Just check the pictures of the pre-facelift model in last T-BHP review for comparison.
Old 20th February 2015, 14:28   #41
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aniket_N View Post
And what's with the 6 airbags? I proudly tell everyone that my car has 8 airbags! Why reduce 2 for newer models?
I've been trying to figure this out. The initial Jetta's had 8 airbags then in 2014 they reduced it to 6 with the refresh.

Which 2 airbags got deleted? The front 2, side curtain 2 and front seat make it 6 but I am not able to figure out which 2 got removed.

Quote:
Also the review suggests that the interior built quality/finish is a notch lower than the previous model which is again an individual preference, but for me, ranks high in the checklist while buying a new car.
The interior build/quality is a notch lower than the earlier generation Jetta and not vs the pre facelift.

In the older generation Jetta, there was pure leather, soft touch plastics everywhere including door pads. There was felt lining in the door pads and it felt super premium.

In 2011 when they launched the new gen Jetta, the plastics on door became hard and the overall interior quality went down. Car felt solid but not as premium.
Vid6639 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th February 2015, 14:40   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post

Which 2 airbags got deleted? The front 2, side curtain 2 and front seat make it 6 but I am not able to figure out which 2 got removed.
The earlier highline had 2 front, 2 curtain, 2 side airbags for both front seats and 2 side airbags for back seats, totalling 8 air bags. it is the 2 side airbags for the back seats that got removed from the previous facelift.

Last edited by Mohan Mathew A : 20th February 2015 at 14:44.
Mohan Mathew A is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th February 2015, 14:54   #43
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I've been trying to figure this out. The initial Jetta's had 8 airbags then in 2014 they reduced it to 6 with the refresh.

The rear seat-side airbags.

Old Jetta A5:
2015 Volkswagen Jetta Facelift : A Close Look-jettasafetyphoto.jpg

New Jetta A6:
2015 Volkswagen Jetta Facelift : A Close Look-2011volkswagenjettaairbagcutaway.jpg
Gannu_1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th February 2015, 14:56   #44
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

Would It have been knee protection and/or overhead impact protection?
Old 20th February 2015, 15:04   #45
Senior - BHPian

The difference of 3.75 lacs between Trendline MT TDI and Highline MT TDI is not justified. Even the gap between TL and Comfortline variant of a cool 1.88 lacs is not at all worth. TL variant still misses out on essentials:

1) Fog lamps
2) Bluetooth connectivity, although CL only offers basic connectivity.
3) Not even 'leatherette' seats.
4) Yes the brochure reads right, only 2 speakers and two tweeters at front in the TL.
5) No rain/light sensor, hence no auto-dimming IRVM or ORVMs, no automatic wipers or no auto headlights. This is a criminal omission, Hyundai Grand i10 has them now
6) No parking sensors front or rear.

I don't get it how essentials like these are not standard across the range. The luxuries like Climatronic, MID, Cruise Control (not important in an MT), even Fatigue recognition system is standard on all trims! VW, you could price the TL variant in Honda City territory if you spec it right.

Highline too is a bit of a rip-off. For 1.88 lacs over the CL variant, you get:
1) Bi-xenon headlights
2) Basic touch screen ICE
3) better looking wheels
4) a whole lot more of chrome.
5) Electric seats. Again pointless unless offered with memory setting.

Initially, VW was considered a premium buy over the Octy or then Laura. That's not the case any more.

Hence Comfortline is 'the' variant of choice, if you're not a sucker for OEM Bi-xenons. Rest all things can be added later at a cheaper cost.

Last edited by adi_petrolhead : 20th February 2015 at 15:15.
adi_petrolhead is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed