Old 20th February 2015, 15:26   #46

Still remains my favourite car from the segment.

The build feels more substantial than the light MQB-platform Octavia. More importantly, the Jetta's rear multi-link suspension is a level or two above the Octavia's cheap torsion beam setup.

The biggest improvement is - surprisingly - on the base variant. 6 airbags, climate control, MID et al, the Trendline is no longer a 'poverty spec' trim. Even in terms of price, the Trendline is only 1.2 lakhs more expensive than it's original launch price in 2011. On the other hand, the Highline diesel has become 2.2 lakhs more expensive (in the same period). It's depressing that the Jetta Highline still doesn't get leather seats, sunroof or navigation - seriously VW!

Because of the simpler mechanicals, this car is quite the workhorse. My brother's Jetta has done 30,000 kms, as has Ajmat's car. Neither of them have faced a single warranty replacement yet.

I think the choice between the Jetta & Octavia is simple:

Diesel = Jetta
Petrol = Octavia (thanks to the monster 1.8L)
I have had plenty issues with my Jetta high line dsg. 75k in 2years.
Driver side lock replaced
Rear lock replaced / repaired Dont remember.
Water pump replaced. (Was leaking)
Some valve in the Air con system replaced.
Get false coolant low errors.
Power window switches have caused trouble.
And I now dread the repair costs as warranty is over, didn't buy extended warranty as it was 60k limited milage 1,00,000km. Too expensive.
Now I think the pump is leaking again. Have needed to add little water to the coolant reservoir twice since the last 3000km.

So not the trouble free "workhorse". But a gem to drive,rock steady at 140-150. Since the warranty is now over I am gonna try an independent service.
paras211 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 20th February 2015, 15:34   #47

Re: 2015 Volkswagen Jetta Facelift : A Close Look

Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
The rear seat-side airbags.

Old Jetta A5:
Attachment 1341768

New Jetta A6:
Attachment 1341769
The Jetta A6 initially came with 8 airbags as well. I am guessing A6 also had rear seat airbags initially.

Originally Posted by Zappo View Post
Would It have been knee protection and/or overhead impact protection?
Pretty sure no knee airbags were available in the Jetta.

Originally Posted by Mohan Mathew A View Post
The earlier highline had 2 front, 2 curtain, 2 side airbags for both front seats and 2 side airbags for back seats, totalling 8 air bags. it is the 2 side airbags for the back seats that got removed from the previous facelift.
Yeah I wasn't sure of the rear seat airbags as I never observed them. Thanks for pointing out.
Old 20th February 2015, 19:18   #48

Originally Posted by paras211 View Post
I have had plenty issues with my Jetta high line dsg. 75k in 2years. .......
So not the trouble free "workhorse". But a gem to drive,rock steady at 140-150. Since the warranty is now over I am gonna try an independent service.
Gem to drive, yes, and I had tested up to very high speeds and at those speed also the handling was perfect. Under control and no feeling of side drift or floating feeling. Road grip was firm.

Forget the starting line-up, the Jetta highline DSG is identical or better spec-ed than the Audi A3 Premium Plus variant, that too with a difference of 10 lakhs+ on ex-showroom price.
Last year when I went for an upgradation I was seriously contemplating to go for an Audi. But decided that it is better to for a Jetta High line as against a low end Audi..

Originally Posted by B747 View Post
MQB has its benefits too, wheelbase is 4cm longer which means more leg room, and less weight means bit more peppy to drive.
My sincere suspicion is MQB concept has more to do with cost cutting by having a same platform for various engines, brands and models and the extra 4 cm length is incidental and may not contribute much interms of comfort.
As such the 2L TDI engine of Jetta is peppy enough to drive and a few kg difference may not mean much.

Last edited by Technocrat : 20th February 2015 at 22:16. Reason: Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another on the same thread!, thanks
Old 21st February 2015, 06:50   #49

Originally Posted by alavandar View Post
My sincere suspicion is MQB concept has more to do with cost cutting by having a same platform for various engines, brands and models and the extra 4 cm length is incidental and may not contribute much interms of comfort.
As such the 2L TDI engine of Jetta is peppy enough to drive and a few kg difference may not mean much.
MQB has many benefits like cost savings, more space, less weight, more safety features etc. http://magazine.volkswagen.com/7-que...se-matrix.html

When we compare Jetta to Octavia power to weight ratio of 138@4200 vs 141@4000 (Octavia has bit more power at 200 rpm earlier) and power to torque ratio of 228/ton@1750-2500 vs 239/ton@1750-3000, so Octavia has more torque/ton and wider torque band, shouldn't it be more peppy?
Old 21st February 2015, 13:30   #50

With each passing day, the temptation to get a Skoda/Volkswagen car gets stronger! The manual transmission is available with the petrol or diesel or both? I would love to get the new Jetta with the manual transmission. Overall, I can see that it's a much improved car which packs in some solid performance as well. Let's see, time will tell how much this car sells.

But technically, isn't this car exactly identical to the new Octavia, barring the external appearance? If yes, then what's VW/Skoda's point of selling two similar models side by side?
Old 21st February 2015, 13:46   #51

Yup, both variants are available with manual transmission.

The Jetta is based on older Golf platform whereas the Octavia is based on newer MQB platform.
ishlinea7260 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st February 2015, 19:41   #52

Originally Posted by Aditya View Post
The 2015 Volkswagen Jetta Facelift has been launched in India at a price of between Rs. 14.15 - 20.17 lakhs (ex-Delhi).

Loved the new colour on the facelifted Jetta. Looks amazing! With the added features and changes, it becomes a better package.

P.S. Anyone else noticed something odd with this pic?? The front bumper is touching the ground on a relatively flat surface. How is it possible?
amansanc is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st February 2015, 20:09   #53

Originally Posted by amansanc View Post
P.S. Anyone else noticed something odd with this pic?? The front bumper is touching the ground on a relatively flat surface. How is it possible?
That's an illusion Aman. There's plenty of clearance there. You weren't really serious when you asked that were you?
Old 21st February 2015, 20:15   #54

Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
That's an illusion Aman. There's plenty of clearance there. You weren't really serious when you asked that were you?
Oh ok. Thanks for clearing my doubt. I was serious when i asked it. I thought the car has been slammed down mods own country (Kerela) style
Old 21st February 2015, 20:18   #55

Checked out the Jetta at the MG Road showroom in Gurgaon
They have a new display piece available but no Test Drive cars. The dealer is quoting 1-2 months waiting for the Comfortline or the Highline. He claims that Volkswagen hasn't started assembling the Trendlines yet & doesn't plan to anytime soon
The Car feels really substantial & high quality. Went & sat in a Vento and it was no comparison. The Jetta is in a different league. Looking forward to Test drive it soon.

OTR prices in Gurgaon are

1.4 Trendline 15.98 L
1.4 Comfortline 17.69 L
2.0 Trendline 17.34 L
2.0 Comfortline 19.5 L
2.0 Highline 21.64 L
2.0 Highline AT 22.79 L
Silverfire is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2015, 19:36   #56

Originally Posted by paras211 View Post
Since the warranty is now over I am gonna try an independent service.
I'll be glad to receive any pointers on the independent service - I'll also be in the same boat soon.
Old 23rd February 2015, 01:17   #57

Managed to td the new dsg today. Few things I noticed :

1. Massive wheelspin in the first gear when you floor it almost making you lose control, anyone else notice this?
2. No led tail lamps, let down
3. Superb suspension. The previous dsg I tried wasn't that great. The sa informed me that it had met with a few accidents

Would love some feedback on the wheelspin issue. Also couldn't figure out how to adjust the bass and treble on the hu
Zahir is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2015, 07:45   #58

Originally Posted by Zahir View Post
Managed to td the new dsg today. Few things I noticed :

1. Massive wheelspin in the first gear when you floor it almost making you lose control, anyone else notice this?
2. No led tail lamps, let down
3. Superb suspension. The previous dsg I tried wasn't that great. The sa informed me that it had met with a few accidents

Would love some feedback on the wheelspin issue. Also couldn't figure out how to adjust the bass and treble on the hu
I thought Jetta has EDL to avoid wheel spin, was it switched off ?
Absolutely no change in the mechanicals, so suspension feel could be just a perception or the previous one could have been a abused vehicle with suspension damage.
Old 23rd February 2015, 11:53   #59

Re: Rumour: VW Jetta facelift launching soon in India *EDIT: launched!*

Originally Posted by spyder_p8 View Post
The safety features across the range are simply awesome. 6 airbags across all variants. They have also introduced "Driver Fatigue Detection". Thats a wow in this segment.
Let me clarify one thing before/if you folks read this. I am not a great driver of an urban car and I never received a near-perfect driving training. Now read below.

I am not sure how 'Driver Fatigue Detection' works. How many Indian drivers (including chauffers) can really hold the steering steady, rock-solid, for more than a minute on the highway or inside the city? I heard many cases of Indians often failing driving tests when they travel to stricter regulations in Middle East for simple reasons (climbing up an incline without slipping the brake, doing a number 8 without crossing the line etc.). Often Indians are mocked at being indisciplined on expressways as they continue to move on either side of the lane highlighters just because they dont hold the steering steady enough. In such cases, will a DFD be useful to Indian drivers? Or will it just end up throwing a lot of false positives?

More so when Indian Jettas are likely to be driven by Chauffers with even poorer training (and unsteady steerings) than what owners will have received. Wonder how sensitive DFD is to steering input. It is good to brag about, but my feeling (again it is like commenting on PK before watching it) is I dont need it. Rather, I am not worthy of it.

Last edited by bhaskaracs : 23rd February 2015 at 11:54.
Old 23rd February 2015, 12:41   #60

Re: Rumour: VW Jetta facelift launching soon in India *EDIT: launched!*

Originally Posted by bhaskaracs View Post

More so when Indian Jettas are likely to be driven by Chauffers with even poorer training (and unsteady steerings) than what owners will have received. Wonder how sensitive DFD is to steering input. It is good to brag about, but my feeling (again it is like commenting on PK before watching it) is I dont need it. Rather, I am not worthy of it.
DFD doesn't need steering to be rock steady. It works very well in India as well on MErcs. Even when driving erratic it won't throw up any warning.

When the systems detects fatigue it throws up a symbol and warns you with a chime. You can choose to ignore after which it will again check after 15mins. It's not intrusive.

Basically it checks for any sudden steering jerks or drifting from side to side as well as sudden braking consistently. You really have to be sleepy or DUI to get the system to activate. And not one jerk will activate. It gets triggered when it senses over the past X mins it has detected weird behaviour.
Vid6639 is offline   (7) Thanks