Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd February 2015, 16:41   #61
BHPian

Re: Rumour: VW Jetta facelift launching soon in India *EDIT: launched!*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
DFD doesn't need steering to be rock steady. It works very well in India as well on MErcs. Even when driving erratic it won't throw up any warning.

When the systems detects fatigue it throws up a symbol and warns you with a chime. You can choose to ignore after which it will again check after 15mins. It's not intrusive.

Basically it checks for any sudden steering jerks or drifting from side to side as well as sudden braking consistently. You really have to be sleepy or DUI to get the system to activate. And not one jerk will activate. It gets triggered when it senses over the past X mins it has detected weird behaviour.
I was at the launch event of the 2015 Jetta at JW Marriott in Pune, the SAs present told me the system analyses steering responses for a working set of the last 15 minutes, and triggers an alert if the driving pattern is erratic.

To be honest this sounds like a great safety feature to me. How many of us have had those late night drives where you suddenly realise you have not been entirely there for some recent part of the drive?

It always happens with me on drives which turn longer than expected and run into the night, specially when I am playing slow songs

All in all, the new Jetta definitely sounds more safe than the outgoing one. Not sure how things will change in 2016 when they launch the new Jetta with the MQB platform like the Skoda cousins.
harryputtar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2015, 21:09   #62
R17
BHPian

Re: 2015 Volkswagen Jetta Facelift : A Close Look

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
The biggest improvement is - surprisingly - on the base variant. 6 airbags, climate control, MID et al, the Trendline is no longer a 'poverty spec' trim. Even in terms of price, the Trendline is only 1.2 lakhs more expensive than it's original launch price in 2011. On the other hand, the Highline diesel has become 2.2 lakhs more expensive (in the same period).
Not sure if Im missing something here but the Trendline Mk6 Jettas dont show a 1.2L price hike between the 2012 launch edition and the 2015 edition for the petrol version at least.

Currently, Trendline petrol is 14.15 Ex-showroom, Delhi. At launch, it was 13.6 as per the TBHP roadtest. So the hike seems to be ~INR 55000 since launch:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...al-review.html

Moreover, in Mumbai, it seems that the price hike has only been INR 27000 since launch for the petrol Trendline model (INR 13.87L now vs INR 13.6L at launch)?

That would show the petrol Jetta Trendline in a favourable light, in terms of standing against inflationary hikes.

Im assuming you were referring only to the Diesel Trendline which now stands at INR 15.31 now as opposed to 14.12 at launch (Ex Delhi prices).

Last edited by R17 : 23rd February 2015 at 21:18.
Old 24th February 2015, 17:22   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zahir View Post
Managed to td the new dsg today. Few things I noticed :

1. Massive wheelspin in the first gear when you floor it almost making you lose control, anyone else notice this?
2. No led tail lamps, let down
3. Superb suspension. The previous dsg I tried wasn't that great. The sa informed me that it had met with a few accidents

Would love some feedback on the wheelspin issue. Also couldn't figure out how to adjust the bass and treble on the hu
Well done Zahir, I have been trying to manage a TD of the DSG for sometime now, earlier the 2014 ones ran out and since the launch of the 2015 Jetta, they have been flying off the shelves way too quickly to be available for test drives.

Read in another thread, that you were planning to book the DSG on launch, whats the plan now? Also were you able to negotiate a good deal with the dealership? I am planning to drive down the local dealer here in Pune on most probably on Thursday and make a booking for the Candy White DSG. I have not been able to arm-twist the dealer into giving me any discounts, which is disappointing for the haggler in me, but alas!
Old 24th February 2015, 18:04   #64
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Managed to td the new dsg today. Few things I noticed :

1. Massive wheelspin in the first gear when you floor it almost making you lose control, anyone else notice this?

Would love some feedback on the wheelspin issue. Also couldn't figure out how to adjust the bass and treble on the hu
If it helps, I experienced lots of wheelspin on the A6, Laura, and Octavia as well. Logically it could be a FWD issue, coupled with the torque. Even the A6 2.0 TDi with all its gizmos has the same issue under hard acceleration from start.
Explains why the more powerful germans come with RWD or AWD.

As for the bass & treble, there should be a 'music icon' (google it - like the hindi letter M'). Press that and the sound settings should pop up.
Old 24th February 2015, 18:45   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
If it helps, I experienced lots of wheelspin on the A6, Laura, and Octavia as well. Logically it could be a FWD issue, coupled with the torque. Even the A6 2.0 TDi with all its gizmos has the same issue under hard acceleration from start.

As for the bass & treble, there should be a 'music icon' (google it - like the hindi letter M'). Press that and the sound settings should pop up.
Thanks for the info. Re the wheelspin, I was also informed by a friend that the tyres (Goodyear) played a role. He faced a similar issue till he upgraded to Continental tyres. Which brings me to my next question, what is a good tyre upgrade for the jetta?
Old 24th February 2015, 18:47   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryputtar View Post
Well done Zahir, I have been trying to manage a TD of the DSG for sometime now, earlier the 2014 ones ran out and since the launch of the 2015 Jetta, they have been flying off the shelves way too quickly to be available for test drives.

Read in another thread, that you were planning to book the DSG on launch, whats the plan now? Also were you able to negotiate a good deal with the dealership? I am planning to drive down the local dealer here in Pune on most probably on Thursday and make a booking for the Candy White DSG. I have not been able to arm-twist the dealer into giving me any discounts, which is disappointing for the haggler in me, but alas!
Actually managed a 2nd longer TD on Monday. 140 and the car is stable on turns. Just amazing!

Plan is to buy it but when I called to make the booking today, turns out they no longer have the color I want in stock. Was informed that it will be a good 6 week launch. No chance of discounts, seems the response the the new Jetta is overwhelming.
Zahir is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th February 2015, 19:10   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Actually managed a 2nd longer TD on Monday. 140 and the car is stable on turns. Just amazing!
Yes, that was my experience too, in my puny Santro there were turns I wont dare do at 40 kmph, during my test drive I did not even slow down at 70 kmph. Only realised this once the test drive was over

Quote:
Plan is to buy it but when I called to make the booking today, turns out they no longer have the color I want in stock. Was informed that it will be a good 6 week launch. No chance of discounts, seems the response the the new Jetta is overwhelming.
If you do not mind me asking which color are you going for and why? The stance from my dealer since the launch has been there may be 1-2 months waiting time, you are right the facelifted Jetta seems to be flying! No wonder they cannot be bothered to give any discounts to make it more attractive.

The only thing my SA would promise is that if at the time of final invoicing there are any discounts from the company or excise cuts etc, they will be passed over to me.

Good luck for your booking pal!
Old 24th February 2015, 19:19   #68
BHPian

Quote:

Shouldn't wheel spins be minimal with ESC/EDL ? On slippery surface I experienced wheelspin upon hard acceleration but immediately ESC light comes on indicating it functioning and arrests wheel spin.
Old 24th February 2015, 19:52   #69
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryputtar View Post
Yes, that was my experience too, in my puny Santro there were turns I wont dare do at 40 kmph, during my test drive I did not even slow down at 70 kmph. Only realised this once the test drive was over

If you do not mind me asking which color are you going for and why? The stance from my dealer since the launch has been there may be 1-2 months waiting time, you are right the facelifted Jetta seems to be flying! No wonder they cannot be bothered to give any discounts to make it more attractive.

The only thing my SA would promise is that if at the time of final invoicing there are any discounts from the company or excise cuts etc, they will be passed over to me.

Good luck for your booking pal!
Thanks. I was looking at white. Looks very regal. I don't remember the last car I bought that wasn't white :-)

The stability and suspension really impressed me. The engine though is really noisy and the car feels light. Stable but definitely light. That being said, I still prefer it to the competition. Bells and whistles certainly have their charms but at the end of the day, its down to driving pleasure.
Old 24th February 2015, 19:57   #70
Team-BHP Support

Caught up with the facelifted Jetta during the Surat Auto Expo and I really liked this over the previous gen. facelift especially the new Passat'ish front bumper which gives it a beefy appearance.

2015 Volkswagen Jetta Facelift : A Close Look-img_9753.jpg

2015 Volkswagen Jetta Facelift : A Close Look-img_9754.jpg

2015 Volkswagen Jetta Facelift : A Close Look-img_9761.jpg

2015 Volkswagen Jetta Facelift : A Close Look-img_9757.jpg

Few things that are still missing from the Indian trims - navigation based HU (VW should provide the RNS 510 unit on the highline and save the RCD 510 for the comfortline and trendline models), the 1.8 TSI engine, pneumatic strut for lifting the hood and 2-3 memory presets for storing the driver seat configurations.

I'd love to own one when the time comes and wallet permitting.
Gannu_1 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 24th February 2015, 20:14   #71
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by B747 View Post
Shouldn't wheel spins be minimal with ESC/EDL ? On slippery surface I experienced wheelspin upon hard acceleration but immediately ESC light comes on indicating it functioning and arrests wheel spin.
Yes, the light does blink, and can feel torque steer.
I think ESC would kick in when it feels the steering losing control especially around bends. On a straight line it limits your car from going completely ballistic, but you can still experience wheelspin and torque steer.

Quote:
Thanks for the info. Re the wheelspin, I was also informed by a friend that the tyres (Goodyear) played a role. He faced a similar issue till he upgraded to Continental tyres. Which brings me to my next question, what is a good tyre upgrade for the jetta?
225/50R16 is what I am running on our Laura, and though those are Michelins, I personally am very impressed with Conti Sport Contact 5.
If you can get Michelin PS3, those are also highly recommended.

Personally however, our Laura and A6 still suffer from wheelspin and torque steer even with fatter rubber. It is better controlled though.
Old 24th February 2015, 22:03   #72
BHPian

Quote:
Yes, the light does blink, and can feel torque steer.
I think ESC would kick in when it feels the steering losing control especially around bends. On a straight line it limits your car from going completely ballistic, but you can still experience wheelspin and torque steer.

225/50R16 is what I am running on our Laura, and though those are Michelins, I personally am very impressed with Conti Sport Contact 5.
If you can get Michelin PS3, those are also highly recommended.

Personally however, our Laura and A6 still suffer from wheelspin and torque steer even with fatter rubber. It is better controlled though.
Thanks. How is the sports contact vs the Max contact range?
Old 27th February 2015, 16:20   #73
BHPian

The new Jetta makes a very compelling case for itself. In a segment, where its competitors are largely Octavia (unreliable A.S.S.), Corolla (uninspiring, ugly (purely my opinion)) and Elantra (boat), it manages are middle ground, pleasing all, offending none. However, there is a small matter of moolah asked for. Is it good enough to be priced 3 lakhs over an Elantra ?! I seriously doubt it.

I was seriously looking to buy the Jetta (at these revised prices also) but as soon as i saw the price differential with Elantra, my mind has just switched off. AFAIK, Elantra suffers from just one serious problem: handling. It is sufficiently well-equipped, gives a proper big car feel, is designed well (again, purely my opinion) and has a much better report on ASS than Volkswagen can hope to. Is there a reason anyone can provide that can convince someone like me to pick Jetta over Elantra?
Old 27th February 2015, 17:05   #74
Senior - BHPian

2015 Volkswagen Jetta Facelift : A Close Look

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitalstatistiks View Post
The new Jetta better report on ASS than Volkswagen can hope to. Is there a reason anyone can provide that can convince someone like me to pick Jetta over Elantra?
The Elantra may have more in terms of equipment but the VW is a better engineered car. They are charging 3 lakhs more but it comes with a much superior 2.0 diesel that churns out 140 bhp, mated to a brilliant 6 speed dsg which is pretty reliable.

There is a multi link which helps both ride and handling, even the torsion setup Octavia would be miles better than Elantra so the multi link is on a whole upper level. You get 6 airbags, esp, edl, traction control and paddle shifts. Elantra really is a boat at high speeds + Verna's 1.6 engine plonked in a D segment wont fetch it brownie points.

The build quality and interior quality is significantly better, also VW brand image is much more prestigious in the D segment.

The Elantra should be more reliable and have better company support but if i were to choose a car and i would be the one driving it, would go for the Jetta eyes closed. Jetta is a car you can enjoy driving as well as sitting in the backseat.

Last edited by coolboy007 : 27th February 2015 at 17:07.
coolboy007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th February 2015, 17:35   #75
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitalstatistiks View Post
Is there a reason anyone can provide that can convince someone like me to pick Jetta over Elantra?
I drive an Elantra CRDi AT and I bought one after TDing a Vento, Corrolla, Ciaz, Cruze and City. Jetta was strictly out of reach for me given it was 3.5 lakhs more expensive than a fully loaded Elantra diesel. I never TD a Jetta.

For a typical 80-90% driving time spent on urban commute, Elantra serves me exceptionally well. It will not win a race with a Jetta on a highway if you are driving past 140kmph. It is not a car which gives you sustained comfort at 140+ speeds. But for a typical highway ride with your family (speeds of 110-120kpmh), Elantra behaved very well on a couple of 300km+ trips. Handling and pickup are more than adequate.

Financial considerations aside, I found Jetta and Octavia a bit cramped for rear passenger space because of a tall floor hump in the middle. So they were never part of my choice set (even if i were to look at mid level variants to fit my wallet). I just didn't like sitting in the rear seat of a Cruze/Jetta/Octavia after TDing Elantra. Even Ciaz offers better experience (personal opinion) in rear seat if not elegance.

Safety aspects are largely at par. VW may score on the badge, touch screen infotainment system (i will not pay for factory fitted touch screens inside a car because mounting smart phones and ipads is cheaper and also offers bleeding edge technology than a decade old LCD touch) and arguably better handling (a case of for each its own). And according to pundits, DSG (the apparent vulnerability of which made me switch quickly from a buying a Vento TSI to Elantra) is a nimbler gear box compared to the traditional torque converter (six speed version found in Elantra).

Finally, let me debunk your misconception. Elantra doesn't behave like a boat on highways - far from it. Suspension is relatively softer than Cruze/Octavia which I TDed in the past. But then again, it is tuned for comfort. On the other note, I found Elantra cabin on more silent side than Cruze/Octavia (diesel).
bhaskaracs is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks