Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 27th February 2015, 18:13   #76
BHPian

Re: 2015 Volkswagen Jetta Facelift : A Close Look

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitalstatistiks View Post
The new Jetta makes a very compelling case for itself. In a segment, where its competitors are largely Octavia (unreliable A.S.S.), Corolla (uninspiring, ugly (purely my opinion)) and Elantra (boat), it manages are middle ground, pleasing all, offending none.
The problem with Octavia is more than the ASS - They intentionally provided a torsion beam rear suspension for the diesel while giving a multi-link suspension to the petrol version. (Jetta has the multi-link rear suspension)

I personally like the look of new Corolla.

Quote:
However, there is a small matter of moolah asked for. Is it good enough to be priced 3 lakhs over an Elantra ?! I seriously doubt it.
Hyundai makes terrific VFM cars. But, the boat factor is real. How long will we go straight? We have to make a turn sometime

I have had a few cars myself, and one of them was the top end i20 CRDi Asto(O) with 6 airbags and sunroof. It was a wonderful car, till you take turns even at a decent 60+ speeds. It was never confidence inspiring.

If you can live with average car dynamics, you can definitely choose elantra.

Jetta scores many times over in quality of materials used, ride quality, handling and a terrific engine.

Quote:
I was seriously looking to buy the Jetta (at these revised prices also) but as soon as i saw the price differential with Elantra, my mind has just switched off. AFAIK, Elantra suffers from just one serious problem: handling. It is sufficiently well-equipped, gives a proper big car feel, is designed well (again, purely my opinion) and has a much better report on ASS than Volkswagen can hope to. Is there a reason anyone can provide that can convince someone like me to pick Jetta over Elantra?
The reason not to buy a Jetta is a newer MQB version could be available as early as next year.

But, if you like Elantra, despite the fact that it shares the same diesel engine as Verna, you should pick it up. Elantra does provide a better peace of mind during ownership since it is from Hyundai (relative comparison with VW ownership reports I have come across)
sriramv.iyer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th February 2015, 19:33   #77
BHPian

Quote:
Is it good enough to be priced 3 lakhs over an Elantra ?! I seriously doubt it.

I was seriously looking to buy the Jetta (at these revised prices also) but as soon as i saw the price differential with Elantra, my mind has just switched off. AFAIK, Elantra suffers from just one serious problem: handling. It is sufficiently well-equipped, gives a proper big car feel, is designed well (again, purely my opinion) and has a much better report on ASS than Volkswagen can hope to. Is there a reason anyone can provide that can convince someone like me to pick Jetta over Elantra?
If you can afford it, then jetta is the best car in the segment. I own a Highline DSG and it is one of the best cars in any price range I have owned (my signature will list all the cars I have owned). I have owned Verna and can attest to the boat feeling especially in the rear. I test drove elantra and while it does not have the same boat like feeling as Verna, it is still there. Elantra is a fantastic compromise and VFM but in terms of pure driving joy it cannot be compared to the jetta.
But if you carry 5 people around regularly, do not buy the jetta. The hump the middle and the rear ac vent protrusion makes life for the 5th person difficult. Great for 4 adults plus a kid.
If you are looking for automatic, you cannot compare the DSG of jetta to the torque converter to elantra. DSG gear shifts are lightning quick and once you start driving an automatic in indian roads, you will start wondering how you drove manual all these days. The mileage for 2L engine is fantastic. The worst I have got is 14 kmpl and the best I have got is 18 kmpl so far. You can expect around 10-12 kmpl with the elantra torque converter diesel.
VW service experience though cannot compare to that of Hyundai. Buy extended warranty if you are buying the jetta.
etrast75 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th February 2015, 19:34   #78
BHPian

I just saw the new Jetta in that scrumptious new blue color at EVM Trivandrum and have absolutely fallen in love.

Now to scrounge the money to upgrade next year.
Old 28th February 2015, 19:48   #79
BHPian

Just got delivery of a white HL DSG 2015 Jetta an hour ago. Looks great but as luck would have it, front passenger seatbelt tensioner spring is broken so the seatbelt wont retract. How they missed this in the pdi is shocking
Zahir is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th February 2015, 20:35   #80
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zahir View Post
Just got delivery of a white HL DSG 2015 Jetta an hour ago. Looks great but as luck would have it, front passenger seatbelt tensioner spring is broken so the seatbelt wont retract. How they missed this in the pdi is shocking
Congrats on the car Zahir! Didn't you notice the broken seatbelt at the time of delivery? What are the showroom guys saying?
Old 28th February 2015, 20:55   #81
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iliketurtles View Post
Congrats on the car Zahir! Didn't you notice the broken seatbelt at the time of delivery? What are the showroom guys saying?
Thanks man

I did. The car was delivered to us. He's sending someone over to fix it come Monday
Old 2nd March 2015, 16:09   #82
BHPian

Quote:

Congrats on the Jetta!! I dont think they must've put on the seat belt specially in the passenger side and see if it retracts!
They would've just checked the mechanicals, AC and the audio in the PDI. If this was at the drivers side then I think they would've definitely noticed!

What the the OTR Price? Did you get any discounts?? could you please post some photos of the interiors and exterior. Also I just wanted to know as per the review on this thread the front arm rest is not adjustable for height and does not move forward/backward. Is it really the case? Would you call the front armrest completely unusable? Im shocked at this cost cutting by VW!
Old 2nd March 2015, 18:04   #83
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y@SH View Post
Congrats on the Jetta!! I dont think they must've put on the seat belt specially in the passenger side and see if it retracts!
They would've just checked the mechanicals, AC and the audio in the PDI. If this was at the drivers side then I think they would've definitely noticed!

What the the OTR Price? Did you get any discounts?? could you please post some photos of the interiors and exterior. Also I just wanted to know as per the review on this thread the front arm rest is not adjustable for height and does not move forward/backward. Is it really the case? Would you call the front armrest completely unusable? Im shocked at this cost cutting by VW!
The car is about 24l give or take. Sure, will post a few pics. Not sure about the armrest moving ahead but I will say this, I was spoilt by the armrest in my other car and the little that I have driven this car, I feel no void. The Jetta armrest is very comfortable. I would definitely not call it unusable, in fact it really makes the drive relaxing.

Regarding the PDI, I would assume that it's pretty basic to check the seat belts. Essentially, the Jetta harps on safety so I was a bit disappointed with this. I think the fact that a new car needs to go to the service station is a bit of a let down when the car checks all the right boxes on all other counts.

Cost cutting? not too sure about that. The car isn't minus any features from the previous generation & while it is bland on features when compared to the competition, it still has 1 or 2 features up from the 2014 version. The car is very comfortable on the inside and retains the great ride. Still looks like a Vento from angles to be honest but it stays true to it's quality.
Old 2nd March 2015, 18:12   #84
BHPian

Quote:
The car is about 24l give or take. .
Thanks for answering my query. No discounts at all?? You didnt manage even a little bit? I think dealers will offer discounts in a couple of months, since this is a new launch! As the review said the arm rest it not movable I mentioned it as cost cutting by VW! An adjustable armrest is a + in the comfort department! Even I thought that if Octavia has one, why not the Jetta!? Just check on the arm rest, can you ? We can then correct it in the review!

Regarding the features given that they have a touch screen for the Audio system I wished they also had a reversing camera!! Other features like sunroof (offered on the ocatvia) and cruise control are pretty much useless here! Its more like having it in the car v/s actually using it!

Also have you bought the Highline with DSG? Or MT?

Last edited by Y@SH : 2nd March 2015 at 18:15.
Old 2nd March 2015, 18:21   #85
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for answering my query. No discounts at all?? You didnt manage even a little bit? I think dealers will offer discounts in a couple of months, since this is a new launch! As the review said the arm rest it not movable I mentioned it as cost cutting by VW! An adjustable armrest is a + in the comfort department! Even I thought that if Octavia has one, why not the Jetta!? Just check on the arm rest, can you ? We can then correct it in the review!

Regarding the features given that they have a touch screen for the Audio system I wished they also had a reversing camera!! Other features like sunroof (offered on the ocatvia) and cruise control are pretty much useless here! Its more like having it in the car v/s actually using it!

Also have you bought the Highline with DSG? Or MT?
No discounts at all. I got mats and mud flaps free. Guess I'm a winner! haha

I wont contest that fact that a movable armrest is more comfortable but this isn't as bad as it is made out to be. Maybe it's my seating position which makes it good for me but maybe inadequate for someone else, let me check and get back to you.

On the reverse camera, YES! This is the biggest gripe I have with the car. The reverse camera on my other cars have just spoiled me and I'm hugely disappointed that this feature was simply omitted on the indian version. It's also largely to do with the version of the RCD 510 on the car which doesn't support video. Unlike the Polo and the Vento where the dealership would happily install one for you, with the Jetta, they cite CKD and simply refuse.

I've got the DSG

Last edited by Zahir : 2nd March 2015 at 18:23.
Old 3rd March 2015, 02:05   #86
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Vitalstatistiks,

I am not sure what your priorities are regarding the features you are looking for in your new car, for me its safety all the way.

On that count, the best way to figure how safe is a car, is to look at its Euro NCap ratings and trying to understand them. Jetta scores a 5-star safety rating in Euro Ncap, the same ratings for the 2009 Elantra is 3 stars.

Also, any manufacturer can add airbags to their cars, along with safety features like ABS, ESP, EBD and ASR, however its really hard to say which of them get it right. I have seen reports of cars from various manufacturers either not deploying airbags (Famous case of Toyota Fortuner recently), or manufacturers recalling for airbag software issues (Ford Ecosport, and Mahindra XUV airbag software upgrade drive recently).

And then there are cases like this where a VW car saved the occupant purely on account of the build quality, http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...w-polo-12.html.

I have lived in the UK, and I can tell you a european build inspires a lot more confidence than a Jap or Korean build. No offense to Hyundai owners (I am myself one), but Hyundai itself inspires no confidence in me whatsoever.

Lastly, 3 lacs is a very small amount considering you are talking about your family's safety. If I were you I would not have taken the difference into consideration, when I started my hunt I started with Honda City, and ended up with choosing the Jetta.

Hope this helps.
harryputtar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2015, 12:04   #87
BANNED

Maybe Off-topic, but what are the safest cars : build wise ?

We can always count the safety features in the Specs Brochure, but it is difficult to understand safety w.r.t. build quality ? I could not find a separate thread on safe/ safest cars in India
Old 3rd March 2015, 12:18   #88
Senior - BHPian

Just FYI guys, the armrest in my Jetta is adjustable for height and moves forward too. Does the new Jetta not have this? Bizarre if so.
Old 3rd March 2015, 13:08   #89
BHPian

Quote:
I wont contest that fact that a movable armrest is more comfortable but this isn't as bad as it is made out to be. Maybe it's my seating position which makes it good for me but maybe inadequate for someone else, let me check and get back to you.
Also I wouldve loved addition of Hill Hold atleast in the DSG variant!

Quote:
Originally Posted by iliketurtles View Post
Just FYI guys, the armrest in my Jetta is adjustable for height and moves forward too. Does the new Jetta not have this? Bizarre if so.
Only Zahir would be able to help in this matter.
Old 3rd March 2015, 13:41   #90
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Also I would've loved addition of Hill Hold atleast in the DSG variant!
There isn't a dedicated button for Hill Hold, but it's there alright. The car holds its ground for a few seconds courtesy the Hill Hold on inclines.

Most Viewed