Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 5th April 2015, 11:52   #136
BHPian

Re: 2015 Volkswagen Jetta Facelift : A Close Look

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zahir View Post
4. In city, I get about 9-10 but my car is a month old & this should improve. I drive in bumper to bumper traffic
Thanks for helping out mate.. on this particular point, yeah, am getting mixed opinions too.... but I guess this ain't gonna stop me from buying it.. Its been all around positive in most aspects. Hopefully yours will improve soon

On the quality dropping a notch from MK5, what are you referring to specifically? would you share that please? Some comments were around 8 airbags to 6. I am not fussed about that part, guess the important ones are there. I do miss the felt lined glove box from the previous models. Other than that, I thought the quality of the dash and the steering and faux wood were still the same, if not better? but i must have missed something?

Anyone heard of AdBlue? I guess the Indian version of the Jetta doesn't need that? I am told the US Jetta variant needs this and one has to fill this liquid up every 10000 miles. I am guessing this is in addition to the Cat Converter. Any thoughts on that?

thanks again!
cars_crazy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th April 2015, 12:40   #137
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cars_crazy View Post
Thanks for helping out mate.. on this particular point, yeah, am getting mixed opinions too.... but I guess this ain't gonna stop me from buying it.. Its been all around positive in most aspects. Hopefully yours will improve soon

On the quality dropping a notch from MK5, what are you referring to specifically? would you share that please? Some comments were around 8 airbags to 6. I am not fussed about that part, guess the important ones are there. I do miss the felt lined glove box from the previous models. Other than that, I thought the quality of the dash and the steering and faux wood were still the same, if not better? but i must have missed something?
My driving is during peak hours so I guess I can't really complain given that its an automatic

On the quality, if you compare it to the first Jetta launched in India, you will notice lower quality plastics on the door trims. Though they're still very good on the new Jetta & the inside of the car is a great place to be, between generations, you will notice a difference. Yet, compared to the competition, its still fantastic
Zahir is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th April 2015, 19:21   #138
BHPian

Quote:
About cleaning, local help is always never going to meet your expectation, especially if they are the building security guards who do the cleaning. So a few basic tips:
1. Never dust the car when dry. Always ensure that they pour water before anything.
I have ordered the Jopasu car duster, and would be dusting the car almost everyday till I zero in on which car cover to buy for the car. Any suggestions would be welcome here, I am sure fellow BHPians will have some good pointers on this.

Quote:
2. Quality of cloth is also a concern. I always buy the cleaning cloth for them to use.
Yes I have been using Solo microfibre cloth, which is usually used for cleaning computer monitors and such.

Quote:
3. the VW wiper blades are a bit tricky with the bonnet closed. atleast, i found them so - one lifts up easily and the other has a tendency to stay stuck. Just let them know not to force them up.
Totally agree, I ran into this on Friday when I cleaned the car for the first time, really unwieldy.

Quote:
4. Tell them in advance about the ORVM. There is a tendency that they may try and force close or force open these electric folding mirrors.
5. Atleast once a half year, take it to an authorized 3M store for good wash (if you are not a DIY man yourself).

Just my thoughts. others may differ
Thanks for the tip, there is a 3M car care around 4 kms from my place, so yes I will use their services once a year.
Old 8th April 2015, 00:20   #139
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolboy007 View Post
VW ASC's are too finicky about such things, these vultures even made a comment on my job card that i have after market parking lights fitted in my Vento after seeing the LED there
They make the mark because they are supposed to note every modification - my service advisor told me, there's lesser chance of any issue with staff flicking things if it's all noted.

About unnecessary rejections, I was contemplating paddle shifts on the Vento TSI, so asked the Service Manager if warranty would be an issue. His exact words were, "Most issues happen because of faulty installation. Otherwise, we never create an issue, because VW never creates an issue with us. So, go for it, and even if a Service Advisor creates an issue, just come to me, or ask him to put in a request to VW irrespective. It will be approved."

About suspension, not sure, but the brake discs on my Vento TDI (the TSI is the newer one in the family, and belongs to my dad, and no issues, so far ) were changed at 16k. I was told this was an exception, but I had no issues through it all, and I didn't even have to fight to have it changed.

Last edited by bosporus : 8th April 2015 at 00:30.
Old 8th April 2015, 00:33   #140
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyder_p8 View Post
Where can i find this information on brakes/suspension warranty. Are they really covered under warranty being parts subject to wear and tear? I haven't seen a separate warranty mention for such parts. The car itself is warranted for 2years/unlimited.
I've never seen the documentation, but I was verbally told it's 10,000 for suspension and zero for brakes.

However, I had my brake pads changed at 9,000km, and brake discs changed at 16,000km. It was a manufacturing fault which caused it, and I faced no issues in claiming warranty. However, I was told that brakes were not covered under warranty, but since this was a manufacturing defect, my claim would be entertained.
bosporus is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2015, 00:03   #141
BHPian

So my 2015 Jetta DSG came home last monday. The car is overall excellent and the engine and gearbox as well as the lighting systems deserves a special mention. But somehow I felt that the ride of my car is a little stiffer than the ones which I had test driven. Despite having 30 psi on all tyres the ride feels a bit bumpy at low speeds as if the tyres are overinflated. So I have decided to change the tyres and here comes the confusion. Now I want to upgrade the tyres to 215/55 R16 and some say the warranty might get void. The service head at KTC VW says the warranty will stay if you don't change the alloys. Can someone throw some light on this? And whats the suspension and brake warranty available on the Jetta? I am planning to upgrade to pirellis of the stock size or 215 size. When I changed the Good year GT3s on my Linea to Pirelli centuratos there was a significant improvement in ride quality and the tyre noise too got reduced. I'm hoping to get similar benefits in the Jetta too. Good year NCT 5s on the Jetta felt noisy and stiff to me. Does the Pirelli centuratos have any major draw back? They are performing well in my Linea so I hope it would be a good choice.
Attached Thumbnails
2015 Volkswagen Jetta Facelift : A Close Look-picsart_1429639475872.jpg  

2015 Volkswagen Jetta Facelift : A Close Look-picsart_1429639515495.jpg  

2015 Volkswagen Jetta Facelift : A Close Look-picsart_1429639575464.jpg  

Last edited by SUPERSPORT : 22nd April 2015 at 00:07.
SUPERSPORT is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2015, 02:29   #142
Senior - BHPian

@Supersport , Many congratulations for the car, its always a looker in white colour, wish you many miles with your jetta,
As faar as upgrading the tyres are concerned you can surely go ahead it shoudnt cause any warranty issues, about warranty on suspension and brakes its really unclear for me as well, and yes i too feel the ride being a little bumpy with 30psi , though the sterring is really light at 30 which gets a little heavy even in the city at 32, i am too looking for the right tyre pressure,twice my car was sent to the service centre came back with tyre pressure above 36psi.
Tanveer_2558 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2015, 12:18   #143
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanveer_2558 View Post
@Supersport,
As faar as upgrading the tyres are concerned you can surely go ahead it shoudnt cause any warranty issues, about warranty on suspension and brakes its really unclear for me as well, and yes i too feel the ride being a little bumpy with 30psi.
I'm worried about warranty in case I upsize to 215/55 R16. I hope it's the right upgrade. Can any present Jetta owners check out their warranty booklet and give some info on suspension and brake warranties? I am yet to receive the extended warranty booklet. I need to make a decision on this ASAP because the buy back is only available up to 500kms and my car has already done 460kms. Since I will be changing the tyres anyway I would be very happy to upsize if it doesn't void warranty.
@tanveer AFAIK the most comfy tyre pressure would be 30psi. That's what I follow on my other rides too. Linea gets really bumpy if its more than 33psi. Jetta was delivered with 34psi and I got it reduced to 30psi. Ride improved a lot but still there is a bit of stiffness.
Old 22nd April 2015, 12:25   #144
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUPERSPORT View Post
I'm worried about warranty in case I upsize to 215/55 R16. I hope it's the right upgrade. Can any present Jetta owners check out their warranty booklet and give some info on suspension and brake warranties? I am yet to receive the extended warranty booklet. I need to make a decision on this ASAP because the buy back is only available up to 500kms and my car has already done 460kms. Since I will be changing the tyres anyway I would be very happy to upsize if it doesn't void warranty.
@tanveer AFAIK the most comfy tyre pressure would be 30psi. That's what I follow on my other rides too. Linea gets really bumpy if its more than 33psi. Jetta was delivered with 34psi and I got it reduced to 30psi. Ride improved a lot but still there is a bit of stiffness.
Your service centre probably won't even notice the tyres have been upgraded. So do it without a worry. Also 215/55 is not the perfect upsize, which is 225/50. In 215/55 the sidewall becomes a bit taller, so your ride will improve but the handling will go down a bit. If in doubt stick to the stock size with better tyres.

Had created a thread a few years ago on something similar - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...anty-faqs.html

Last edited by Akshay1234 : 22nd April 2015 at 12:26.
Akshay1234 is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2015, 14:43   #145
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I'm worried about warranty in case I upsize to 215/55 R16. I hope it's the right upgrade.
--------
Linea gets really bumpy if its more than 33psi. Jetta was delivered with 34psi and I got it reduced to 30psi. Ride improved a lot but still there is a bit of stiffness.

Yes 30 is the most comfortable in jetta, though my service advisor says most optimum air pressure is 34 for jetta, i really dint like the ride at 34, either 30 or 32 is good i feel.
Old 23rd April 2015, 13:33   #146
BHPian

Quote:
I would suggest based on my 38000 km experience in jetta to keep the stock size and spend on better tyre like Michelin P3ST. I personally havent upgraded but many friends have and not really that happy with 225/50 which is a proper upgrade but will reduce the sidewall height and actually worsen the ride comfort with stiff suspension at low speeds. my 2 cents

well congratulation on the precious possession. Great choice of color. White is just white, only the new blue has the competition i think.

My experience says nothing happens in jetta, unless u r plain unlucky and dont take good care of her. With in my 2 years and 38000 kms on goodyear NCTs experience including trips to places like,chandigam in kashmir via mughal road, jaipur, mount abu and numerous places in gujarat villages, in monsoon washed highways, I can safely say its a tank. No problems with suspension or brakes, even brake pads are not replaced yet. Regarding warranty i think it is only 6 month and 10000 kms on suspension, that what my dealer mentioned when i took the extended warranty last year.

Last edited by Zappo : 23rd April 2015 at 14:14. Reason: Please don't make back to back posts. Use the multiquote option for responding to multiple people. Posts merged.
Mission_PGPX is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2015, 18:21   #147
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mission_PGPX View Post
I would suggest based on my 38000 km experience in jetta to keep the stock size and spend on better tyre like Michelin P3ST. I personally havent upgraded but many friends have and not really that happy with 225/50 which is a proper upgrade but will reduce the sidewall height and actually worsen the ride comfort with stiff suspension at low speeds. my 2 cents
I'm sorry how does 225/50 R16 reduce the sidewall height from 205/55 R16? The difference is 0.08% in overall circumference. In 205/55 the sidewall is 55% of 205mm, in 225/50 it is 50% of 225mm. The difference is negligible, and if they are finding the ride comfort worse its only because of the choice of tyres.
Akshay1234 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 24th April 2015, 09:28   #148
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
I'm sorry how does 225/50 R16 reduce the sidewall height from 205/55 R16? The difference is 0.08% in overall circumference. In 205/55 the sidewall is 55% of 205mm, in 225/50 it is 50% of 225mm. The difference is negligible, and if they are finding the ride comfort worse its only because of the choice of tyres.
I bow to you akshay1234. Thanks for clearing my misconception .
Mission_PGPX is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th April 2015, 21:23   #149
BHPian

Switched to Pirelli cinturatos in stock size. Paid 13500rs in total(4500 in exchange for NCT5s and 7800 per new tyre). Ride has improved and tyre noise reduced to some extent but not as much as I had expected. Good year appears wider in flesh compared to the Pirellis.
Attached Thumbnails
2015 Volkswagen Jetta Facelift : A Close Look-img_20150423_164102641_hdr.jpg  

Old 28th April 2015, 16:15   #150
BHPian

Just did a test drive of the Jetta HL AT over the weekend with Missus and our car-crazy kid in tow. Drove from showroom to (almost) my office in Gachibowli (10+ Km each way) and back with a mix of good and bad roads. The ride was, in a word, "sublime". This surely had the perfect ride/ handling balance that I have seen in any car in a long time. The steering feel was awesome, and it just wafted over the small speed bumps and road imperfections. I also did a test drive of our friend's Merc C200 Kompressor the same afternoon and (dare I say it), the Jetta's overall ride quality was definitely better than the old Merc's.

This was nowhere in my contention..I was debating more between the GT TSI or the Ecosport, but now I am really, really, really tempted.

Last edited by Contrapunto : 28th April 2015 at 16:16. Reason: MInor edits
Contrapunto is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed