Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 16th July 2015, 14:56   #166
BHPian

Re: 2015 Volkswagen Jetta Facelift : A Close Look

Guys, my insurance has come up for renewal. SHould I continue with Bajaj or are there better options. I see much better quotes for similar insurance cover from Future Generali and others like ICICI. The difference being a lot. Would like to get some suggestions from you guys.
Old 16th July 2015, 15:05   #167
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilt View Post

BTW, I have a few observations to make about this car and a question for VCDS experts:
  • There seems to be no way to turn off TCS in this car.
  • There is no way for passengers (front or back) to lock the car or unlock the car from inside - only the driver has the lock-unlock switch. I wonder why VW made it so.

Hey tilt I am not a VCDS expert and I wouldn't comment on that part. But I can probably help you with the above 2:

- One of my Sr. Manager picked up the 2.0 TDI Highline Jetta in April and he had also approached me with the same query on the TCS. So I guess, just like its on Polo GT TSi, one cannot completely turn off the TCS, even though a physical button is available. This is probably a safety feature of all modern cars.

- The passengers surely cannot Lock the car from within but anybody seated inside can simply pull the latch on the door to unlock the car. At least, I think this is standard across all the VW cars in India. Additionally, the doors lock themselves as soon as the car hits a certain speed.

Hope this helps.
Old 16th July 2015, 15:14   #168
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vik0728 View Post
[/list]Hey tilt *SNIP*
- One of my Sr. Manager picked up the 2.0 TDI Highline Jetta in April and he had also approached me with the same query on the TCS. So I guess, just like its on Polo GT TSi, one cannot completely turn off the TCS, even though a physical button is available. This is probably a safety feature of all modern cars.

- The passengers surely cannot Lock the car from within but anybody seated inside can simply pull the latch on the door to unlock the car. At least, I think this is standard across all the VW cars in India. Additionally, the doors lock themselves as soon as the car hits a certain speed. *SNIP
Thanks Vik. Well, there's no physical button present for turning off TCS - that's what I meant to say

And re. door locks, the issue comes when I leave someone in the car and step out for a bit, there's no way they can lock the car. The key fob is the only way, so I either leave the keys with them or I lock the doors when I leave with them inside.

Cheers
Old 8th October 2015, 14:29   #169
Senior - BHPian

I am considering the Jetta as a upgrade to my Cedia. From what i understand - no version of Jetta comes with Pure Leather seats - TL has fabric while CL/HL has artificial leather. I have been spoilt by the pure leather seats in my Cedia - so here is a quick question for the guru's. Can i install aftermarket Leather upholstery on the Jetta considering it has Side Airbags on the front seats ? I have found conflicting information on the net - will probably go to a reputed brand for the leather work like Stanley or Karlsson.
Old 9th October 2015, 11:32   #170
Team-BHP Support

Can the Jetta owners please confirm, if you get the bonnet open indication in the MID when it is open like the door-ajar warning? Should look like this:

2015 Volkswagen Jetta Facelift : A Close Look-32d40bcs960.jpg

Trying to figure out if the hood lock has the microswitch as well.
Old 9th October 2015, 14:29   #171
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanhunt123 View Post
I am considering the Jetta as a upgrade to my Cedia. From what i understand - no version of Jetta comes with Pure Leather seats - TL has fabric while CL/HL has artificial leather. I have been spoilt by the pure leather seats in my Cedia - so here is a quick question for the guru's. Can i install aftermarket Leather upholstery on the Jetta considering it has Side Airbags on the front seats ? I have found conflicting information on the net - will probably go to a reputed brand for the leather work like Stanley or Karlsson.
Better to stick to the leatherette that is offered - the quality is pretty good to be honest, and it looks quite premium!
Old 9th October 2015, 14:32   #172
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
Can the Jetta owners please confirm, if you get the bonnet open indication in the MID when it is open like the door-ajar warning? Should look like this:

Trying to figure out if the hood lock has the microswitch as well.
Yup, there is a bonnet, Boot, Plus all the doors indication in the MID.
Tanveer_2558 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th October 2015, 15:14   #173
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
Better to stick to the leatherette that is offered - the quality is pretty good to be honest, and it looks quite premium!
Actually in two minds whether to go for TL version or CL - as i dont think the features are worth 2L+ difference in on-road price. In that case i would have the fabric seats - so can i install leather ?
Old 9th October 2015, 16:17   #174
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Actually in two minds whether to go for TL version or CL - as i dont think the features are worth 2L+ difference in on-road price. In that case i would have the fabric seats - so can i install leather ?
Honestly - not worth the trouble IMO unless the VW dealers are providing a company approved accessory which will be worth the added cost.
Old 9th October 2015, 16:34   #175
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If I am not wrong, even the Trendline comes with 6 airbags. Adding seat covers on top of the seats is a big No No! Also, the Trendline is stripped of a lot of features which you would expect in a car of that segment like parking sensors (front and rear), front fog lights, auto dimming mirror, rear armrest, electronically retractable ORVMs, better head unit with Bluetooth etc. The Comfortline is just better equipped overall.
Old 9th October 2015, 16:39   #176
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S2!!! View Post
If I am not wrong, even the Trendline comes with 6 airbags. Adding seat covers on top of the seats is a big No No! Also, the Trendline is stripped of a lot of features which you would expect in a car of that segment like parking sensors (front and rear), front fog lights, auto dimming mirror, rear armrest, electronically retractable ORVMs, better head unit with Bluetooth etc. The Comfortline is just better equipped overall.
Well i know there are a lot of missing features - but most of them can be easily added at a fraction of a cost. HeadUnit in even CL is below-par so i would change that as well - Parking Sensors + Front Fogs + Auto Dimming Mirros can be added in less than 40k. Really apart from the Fabric seats - there is nothing which is making me think twice on going for TL Version.
Old 10th October 2015, 12:17   #177
BHPian

I checked the VW UK website for the emissions issues and one can check their cars being affected or not by entering the Chassis/VIN number. This site works for all cars worldwide except North America. My Jetta has come up affected and have sent the screen shot to VW India customer care. Await their response. The VW India website says to phone them if any queries about the emissions problem affecting your car.
Old 10th October 2015, 20:19   #178
Senior - BHPian

Ditto, Gautam99. My car is showing up as affected too on Volkswagen UK's website, but the worry is they'll just brush things under the carpet here since both our emission norms and legal framework is lax. Let's wait and see how this plays out. I know for sure that this Jetta will be the last VW in my hand if they choose to wash their hands clean of their deception. Fun as the car is to drive and as much as I enjoy it, it would be hard to reconcile myself to a company that puts small wins over large ones.
Old 11th October 2015, 10:38   #179
Senior - BHPian

But if they fix the car you would 100% lose the power and torque. So unless they completely change the engine I think you are better off driving it as it is. In our country where safety and pollution norm for all cars are flouted (look at safety test on Swift) your car is just a small drop in the ocean.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 11th October 2015 at 10:51. Reason: loose > lose.
Old 11th October 2015, 11:13   #180
BANNED

Perhaps this is major league stupid on my part, but after the cosmic brick dropped by VW in the US emissions reg. scandal recently, I wonder how big a dent in its reputation the VW group - including Porsche and Audi - will sustain worldwide, particularly the "German technology" catchet they have enjoyed these past many decades.

Perhaps they need to soft-pedal their wares for a while - or do they think that India is a country of hill-billies who don't keep abreast of the media & don't know a cat. converter from an ECU.

Most Viewed