Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 5th February 2016, 07:58   #211

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
These are the facelift tail lights which aren't LED based:

Are these the same lights on your ride as well?

Yes. I think they are the same lights.
Old 7th February 2016, 20:39   #212

Hi,

I got my car on 28th Jan and have been enjoying. Few details,

- Changed tires to Primacy 3ST right from the showroom.
- Right now the odometer reading is about 800.

When I am reaching about 140kmph the steering wheel vibrates. But even at 120 there is nothing. Below 100 I don't even know something is wrong.

What can be the issue?

Thank you in advance.
Old 8th February 2016, 09:55   #213
Senior - BHPian

Re: 2015 Volkswagen Jetta Facelift : A Close Look

Quote:
Originally Posted by dharmapurikar View Post

Hi,

I got my car on 28th Jan and have been enjoying. Few details,

- Changed tires to Primacy 3ST right from the showroom.
- Right now the odometer reading is about 800.

When I am reaching about 140kmph the steering wheel vibrates. But even at 120 there is nothing. Below 100 I don't even know something is wrong.

What can be the issue?

Thank you in advance.
Hey dharmapurikar, first off congrats on your latest acquisition. As an unsaid 'Norm' on the forum, please post a detailed ownership report asap.

Coming to your question, I am presuming that you have only swapped the rubber on your Jetta and not the OEM rims. If this is true, one of the following reasons could be the culprit here:

- You may need to get the wheel balancing/alignment sorted.

- Please check the air pressure in the tires. Usually, this also causes a bumpy ride.

- Disproportionate tire size. I am sure you have done this but just in case you have not, please check if you have upgraded to the correct tire size using:

Link
Old 8th February 2016, 10:04   #214

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vik0728 View Post
Hey dharmapurikar, first off congrats on your latest acquisition. As an unsaid 'Norm' on the forum, please post a detailed ownership report asap.

Coming to your question, I am presuming that you have only swapped the rubber on your Jetta and not the OEM rims. If this is true, one of the following reasons could be the culprit here:

- You may need to get the wheel balancing/alignment sorted.

- Please check the air pressure in the tires. Usually, this also causes a bumpy ride.

- Disproportionate tire size. I am sure you have done this but just in case you have not, please check if you have upgraded to the correct tire size using:

Link
Thank you Vik for reply.

After yesterday's experience of the shaking steering, I almost couldn't sleep quietly

Today morning I went to the highway and tried to check if the steering wheel issue can be reproduced.

I went to 120km and checked - no shake.

I kept going up but even after higher speeds, I couldn't reproduce the shake.

So I was relieved. There is no issue with the steering at least. Now, while coming back, I actually experienced shake at about 120km again. That was due to road unevenness. I think, beyond a speed, the steering response becomes direct and the feedback is increased. (Is it possible?) because with higher speeds, there wasn't any issue with the steering. I even took the hands off to see if there is any involuntary movement (just for a couple of seconds). There was none.

My previous car - Honda City used to feel very light at higher speeds and I am used to that experience. Do Jetta owners feel there is more heaviness at the higher speeds which gives more direct feedback?

As to Vik's points -

a) Wheel balancing was done 10 days ago while replacing tyres. I can check at a different place this weekend.

b) Cold tyre pressure is 34psi all around as per manual. I have a digital tyre inflator and I don't fill air at roadside shops.

c) No upsizing. I have just replaced to stock size of 205/55 R16.

Do you feel this is a non-issue and just something related to the natural steering behavior of Jetta?
Old 8th February 2016, 10:38   #215
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Do you feel this is a non-issue and just something related to the natural steering behavior of Jetta?
Steering should not vibrate, be it Jetta or any other car for that matter. Get the balancing done once again at another shop and rotate the tyres once. I have seen many times tyre shops get the balancing wrong. I once got the balancing done and went out on a highway journey and the steering vibrated at 140 +. At the end of the journey I got it balanced again which was off by about 80 gms.

If the vibration still persists contact VW service and ask them to check suspension joints. Don't accept it and don't learn to live with it hoping its normal.
Old 8th February 2016, 20:49   #216
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_petrolhead View Post
Someone needs to verify, do new and latest Jetta models come with 17" wheels and actual leather seats instead of leatherette seats? Also about the tail lights, are those LED ones? I think these are silent upgrades along with the new HU.
I'm not sure myself, but the autoexpo page for the Jetta says 17'' wheels. Please update if you find out otherwise.

2015 Volkswagen Jetta Facelift : A Close Look-imageuploadedbyteambhp1454944784.292340.jpg

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 9th February 2016 at 16:40. Reason: Spacing between image and post.
Old 9th February 2016, 16:11   #217
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It's 100% due to faulty wheel balancing. I faced a similar issue when the car vibrated at speeds in excess of 120. Post wheel balancing, I've faced no such issues. Jetta is one sturdy car you can 'feel' the car only after 100.

In fact, I recently tried the new 3 series and did not find significant upgrade in terms of ride. yes, it was a wee bit sharper but that's about it. the only reason one should upgrade from jetta is if one is seeking uber class interiors (say what you get in the new C class). But, this is one car that make buying much costlier cars seem pointless.

On another note (and for everybody seeking the LED tail light info) - when i visited Auto Expo, the VW rep told me that the jetta with LED lights will come to market in 2 months. He was also candid to mention that despite all the niceties, the Jetta is a tough sell, because most folks perceive it to be too costly. There are a lot of folks who'd spend just a few lakhs more and get the shiny luxury batch, which the Jetta lacks.

- Abhi

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 9th February 2016 at 16:40. Reason: Trimming quoted content. Inconveniences our mobile readers. Thanks.
Abhi_Automobile is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th February 2016, 16:29   #218
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharat4ever View Post
I'm not sure myself, but the autoexpo page for the Jetta says 17'' wheels. Please update if you find out otherwise. Attachment 1473802
Yes, this is their showcase car, and showcase car is actually what is coming next. Last time round it was the current Jetta that was showcased. So this looks like a mid-life refresh before the entirely new MQB based Jetta hits the road next year. What we have to see is when will VW India actually refresh the current Jetta with LED lights and bigger wheels, altogether? Or in bits like they did in the Polo and Vento.
Old 9th February 2016, 16:39   #219
BHPian

Quote:
Please get your wheel balancing checked at a reputed shop. This does indicate issue with the same, probably the folks who changed your tires did not do a good job.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 9th February 2016 at 16:40. Reason: Trimming quoted content. Inconveniences our mobile readers. Thanks.
Old 12th February 2016, 21:10   #220
Team-BHP Support

Can someone check if this is actually a feature on the Jetta (and maybe Passat as well) - open your bonnet and try pulling the windshield wiper stalk to spray on the front windshield. It shouldn't because the bonnet is open.
Gannu_1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th February 2016, 09:13   #221
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Can someone check if this is actually a feature on the Jetta (and maybe Passat as well) - open your bonnet and try pulling the windshield wiper stalk to spray on the front windshield. It shouldn't because the bonnet is open.
I checked this. With bonnet open, it does not spray water.
graaja is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 13th February 2016, 09:17   #222
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
I checked this. With bonnet open, it does not spray water.
Haha intelligent isn't it? One of the many features VW themselves may not be aware of.

This happened because I was fiddling around with the bonnet contact switch built into the lock of a Jetta (the Polo here is missing it). One of the leads of this switch goes into the BCM (instead of the cluster as I would have thought) and the other goes to the ground. It all makes sense now. This is a WIP for me.
Gannu_1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th February 2016, 09:25   #223
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Haha intelligent isn't it? One of the many features VW themselves may not be aware of.

This happened because I was fiddling around with the bonnet contact switch built into the lock of a Jetta (the Polo here is missing it). One of the leads of this switch goes into the BCM (instead of the cluster as I would have thought) and the other goes to the ground. It all makes sense now. This is a WIP for me.
Yes. VW cars (for that matter all VAG cars) have a very modular design architecture which makes it mod friendly

For all the modular architecture, sometimes they just skimp on the features, like the headlights of the Polo are directly controlled by the headlight switch instead of the BCM. Maybe the next generation Vento and Polo that come with coming home and leaving home light functions have headlights controlled by the BCM.
graaja is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 13th February 2016, 12:29   #224

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhi_Automobile View Post
It's 100% due to faulty wheel balancing. I faced a similar issue when the car vibrated at speeds in excess of 120. Post wheel balancing, I've faced no such issues. Jetta is one sturdy car you can 'feel' the car only after 100.

- Abhi

Indeed it was faulty wheel balancing!

Apparently folks who changed tyres didn't remove earlier weights.

So two out of four tyres had wrong balancing. I didn't get a chance to test after balancing.

Thank you all for the help.
Old 13th February 2016, 19:38   #225
BHPian

I went to Volkswagen Chennai to enquire about the Jetta. The salesman says he has no cars in 2016 model and they will come only in April as plant is busy with Ameo, Polo and Vento. And he is not very sure if the car in highline will get the new touchscreen system. He says Trendline has got a new touchscreen system but is unaware of Highline. Why is it so difficult for VW to maintain consistency across the country and give the latest feature list?

Most Viewed