Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th September 2016, 11:12   #391
Senior - BHPian

2015 Volkswagen Jetta Facelift : A Close Look

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epic View Post
I am in a big delima regarding the VW Jetta. Rumor is that they will be phasing out the current 2015 Jetta but not introducing the 2017 Jetta in India as it will touch the 30 lakh mark.

Do not know whether to take the plunge and buy the VW Jetta 2.0 Highline DSG OR the Skoda Octavia 1.8 TSI DSG.

I personally think that news is more 'guesstimate' than based on any leaked info. I strongly recommend that if you like the Jetta, go ahead with the purchase. Also, the car sports an elegant design and thus likely to age gracefully.

Yes, the new Jetta will likely follow a different design philosophy - more like coupe, than a regular sedan. Actually, VW plans to give Jetta more premium look and feel, moving it away from a 'German Toyota Corolla' (Gosh! That's insulting) image. So, it will in all likelihood be costlier. So what? You need to buy this car today, you seem convinced that this is the right choice for you, the product itself seems future proof (nothing feels outdated on the Jetta) - so, what's stopping you then?

Best of luck for your purchase.

-A

Last edited by Abhi_Automobile : 8th September 2016 at 11:16.
Abhi_Automobile is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th September 2016, 11:21   #392
Team-BHP Support

Re: 2015 Volkswagen Jetta Facelift : A Close Look

Hi Gannu, I have procured a DS-611 HU from AudioSources for my Polo GT TSi. This HU comes with the double antenna connector like RCD510. So I need to get the single to double antenna adaptor. I am not able to locate the right adaptor in AliExpress. Can you please point to the link where I can get this adaptor? Thanks in advance for the pointers.
Old 8th September 2016, 18:21   #393
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sree_hari82 View Post
I am also in the same state as you are. I tweeted to volkswagen india and also wrote a mail to the customer care keeping the big man Andreas Lauermann also in the loop and the reply i got was "there is no official release regarding discontinuing Volkswagen Jetta from Indian Market". I am also one a Prospective buyer who had already taken couple of test drive and almost finalized on Jetta as no other car comes close to this Machine. I have attached the screenshot of my mail
Quote:
Originally Posted by RajaTaurus View Post
When I was discussing the same issue with the Senior Sales Manager of Madurai, he said that all dealers and their employees have been instructed by VW not to speculate or disclose any information about new launches or discontinuation or even upgrading of any VW product to their customers in any form. So, there is no point asking a dealer about possible discontinuation.
So based on both your replies above it is clear that in no way is VW confirming that they are not going to discontinue the Jetta in India. However, they are saying that there may be a possibility that this can happen but no speculation or information must be shared.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharat4ever View Post
I don't understand the deal here. Even if the next Jetta isn't going to be launched, the current car is quite competent, and future safe. A 2 liter engine is substantial enough to keep the competition at bay for a few years to come.
The Jetta has quite a cult following, and will ensure good resale if it's maintained properly. The DSG is very good, and provided 19+ mileage on highway runs.

If it's the spare parts that you are worried about most of them are already imported now anyway, so that does not change anything. Also, the Octavia / A3 spare parts can be reused.

So what's the exact worry about the discontinuation here?
The issue is not spares. The issue is; is it worth paying 25 lakhs on road for a car that will possibly be phased out?

The same has happened to the Skoda Superb. They released a facelift in 2014 which many bought and they a whole new design with in two years in 2016.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhi_Automobile View Post
I personally think that news is more 'guesstimate' than based on any leaked info. I strongly recommend that if you like the Jetta, go ahead with the purchase. Also, the car sports an elegant design and thus likely to age gracefully.

Yes, the new Jetta will likely follow a different design philosophy - more like coupe, than a regular sedan. Actually, VW plans to give Jetta more premium look and feel, moving it away from a 'German Toyota Corolla' (Gosh! That's insulting) image. So, it will in all likelihood be costlier. So what? You need to buy this car today, you seem convinced that this is the right choice for you, the product itself seems future proof (nothing feels outdated on the Jetta) - so, what's stopping you then?

Best of luck for your purchase.

-A
Well, it's always good to have the latest model so that is what is stopping me. As mentioned above, paying 25 lakhs for a car in 2016 and then in 2017 a new model is introduced for maybe 5 lakhs more at the most; and this is not even sure.

I have come across a used 2015 VW Jetta 2.0 Highline DSG with 17.5k kms on the odo. Warranty up till Feb 2017. Price quoted is for 17.75 lakhs slightly negotiable. Will this be a better buy instead?
Old 8th September 2016, 18:38   #394
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have come across a used 2015 VW Jetta 2.0 Highline DSG with 17.5k kms on the odo. Warranty up till Feb 2017. Price quoted is for 17.75 lakhs slightly negotiable. Will this be a better buy instead?
Fair point (on the 'replacement'). The Jetta is a fairly proven workhorse and should make for a decent used car. Unfortunately, while the Germans have better build quality, besides the better overall 'quality quotient', they need to be maintained properly (and I mean PROPERLY!) - this is where most of us Indians are slack. So, be very selective when if considering used. Also, DSG is an expensive piece of hardware and it's difficult to trust others' keep when it comes to paying big bucks.

Are you specific on the DSG? If you are okay with the manual, the I'd recommend that you can consider new CL TDI, which is significantly cheaper - I got mine for 16.9 OTR Gurgaon in Jan '15.

Last edited by Abhi_Automobile : 8th September 2016 at 18:39.
Old 8th September 2016, 18:39   #395
Senior - BHPian

@epic Actually the concern about phasing out a good proven product known for durability is a bit subjective. People are not hesitant to buy 50k worth smart phones that is outdated in 6 months flat. For cars you see the whole company's reputation in providing service and spares. Mitsubishi pulled shutters down on Cedia in 2010 and still supplying original spares. The only thing to be worried would be resale value if you want to change the car in 3-4 years time. If you want to keep 8-9 years, that is not an issue.
RajaTaurus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th September 2016, 18:47   #396
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajaTaurus View Post
@epic Actually the concern about phasing out a good proven product known for durability is a bit subjective. People are not hesitant to buy 50k worth smart phones that is outdated in 6 months flat. For cars you see the whole company's reputation in providing service and spares. Mitsubishi pulled shutters down on Cedia in 2010 and still supplying original spares. The only thing to be worried would be resale value if you want to change the car in 3-4 years time. If you want to keep 8-9 years, that is not an issue.
That is exactly my point. My issue is not the availability of parts but resale value. I have no idea why everyone is advising me on the availability of spares. And I don't think it is fair to compare the resale of a product that is 50k-70k as compared to that which is a whooping 25 lakhs!!

Last edited by Epic : 8th September 2016 at 18:52.
Old 8th September 2016, 19:13   #397
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My issue is not the availability of parts but resale value.
If resale is priority, you might not be able to attempt D segment Germans at all They depreciate fast, regardless of whether they are discontinued or not. You'd see 4-5 year old Jetta TDi manuals 8-10 lakh in our Classified section sometimes.

IMO, if you are looking at the DSG you should go with the Jetta. There are 2 terms that get repeated by every owner that goes for the Jetta DSG as opposed to the Octavia DSG, 'multi link suspension' 'DQ250 gearbox' and its been a proven workhorse (going by the ownership reports).

I was drooling at the Jetta when I went to checkout the Vento, wish I had the Vitamin M to buy it (sigh).
Old 8th September 2016, 19:26   #398
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Fair point (on the 'replacement'). The Jetta is a fairly proven workhorse and should make for a decent used car. Unfortunately, while the Germans have better build quality, besides the better overall 'quality quotient', they need to be maintained properly (and I mean PROPERLY!) - this is where most of us Indians are slack. So, be very selective when if considering used. Also, DSG is an expensive piece of hardware and it's difficult to trust others' keep when it comes to paying big bucks.

Are you specific on the DSG? If you are okay with the manual, the I'd recommend that you can consider new CL TDI, which is significantly cheaper - I got mine for 16.9 OTR Gurgaon in Jan '15.
You are right in a way. The car was however used by a top executive at their Chakan plant. It's registered in Pune and hence the low mileage too. Its under warranty till Feb 2017 and I can buy extra warranty so no headache till Feb 2019.

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post
If resale is priority, you might not be able to attempt D segment Germans at all They depreciate fast, regardless of whether they are discontinued or not. You'd see 4-5 year old Jetta TDi manuals 8-10 lakh in our Classified section sometimes.

IMO, if you are looking at the DSG you should go with the Jetta. There are 2 terms that get repeated by every owner that goes for the Jetta DSG as opposed to the Octavia DSG, 'multi link suspension' 'DQ250 gearbox' and its been a proven workhorse (going by the ownership reports).

I was drooling at the Jetta when I went to checkout the Vento, wish I had the Vitamin M to buy it (sigh).
Yes I am aware that the Germans do not have good resale value; but the main concern is that there is a possibility of losing even further in resale should the facelifted Jetta come out in 2017 where at the moment there is no confirmed reports of the same.
Old 11th September 2016, 05:18   #399
BHPian

Any idea about the discounts being offered on Jetta. I assume now that discontinuation / new version is on cards discount should be quite good.
Old 11th September 2016, 22:58   #400
BHPian

Quote:
You are right in a way. The car was however used by a top executive at their Chakan plant. It's registered in Pune and hence the low mileage too. Its under warranty till Feb 2017 and I can buy extra warranty so no headache till Feb 2019.

Yes I am aware that the Germans do not have good resale value; but the main concern is that there is a possibility of losing even further in resale should the facelifted Jetta come out in 2017 where at the moment there is no confirmed reports of the same.
I would recommend going for the 2015 Jetta. It is same as the current model and you are getting a 8 lakh discount. That would help mitigate any possible loss of value due to a phase out. Your car will be still under warranty and would be similar to a brand new car.
Old 12th September 2016, 09:08   #401
Team-BHP Support

I drove a facelifted Jetta back to back with mine yesterday

1: It is much more refined compared to my 2012 model

2: My car felt more tactile and heavier. You can feel the steering

3: My car felt naked without the dual zone a/c, bluetooth and xenons
Old 13th September 2016, 15:39   #402
Senior - BHPian

So guys it has been confirmed that Volkswagen has stopped production of the Jetta and will be launching the new model in March 2017.

How am I sure? Well I called up the VW showroom in Thane in order to enquire and book the car and was told by the sales executive that VW has stopped production of the vehicle and they are only selling what is currently available in their stockyard and so not taking bookings for any new cars. On probing, I was told that the new car is due to launch in March 2017 and bookings will be taken only post March 2017.

So there you go, I am glad I did not decide to buy the current model even though I am sure I would have got a good deal for them. But then I am sure they would have depreciated to less than 50% with in 06 months and even more once the new model was out.
Epic is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th September 2016, 16:40   #403
BHPian

Quote:
So guys it has been confirmed that Volkswagen has stopped production of the Jetta and will be launching the new model in March 2017.

How am I sure? Well I called up the VW showroom in Thane in order to enquire and book the car and was told by the sales executive that VW has stopped production of the vehicle and they are only selling what is currently available in their stockyard and so not taking bookings for any new cars. On probing, I was told that the new car is due to launch in March 2017 and bookings will be taken only post March 2017.

So there you go, I am glad I did not decide to buy the current model even though I am sure I would have got a good deal for them. But then I am sure they would have depreciated to less than 50% with in 06 months and even more once the new model was out.
New model as in The global MQB Based model? And March 2017 for India?
Old 13th September 2016, 18:02   #404
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

My educated guess is that they may be talking about MY '17 cars, and not the next generation Jetta. Why? The new gen Jetta hasn't been revealed across the globe - so, I'll be very surprised if the Thane factory folks know when the new gen will be out and when it will be available in India. Bizarre!
Old 13th September 2016, 18:23   #405
BHPian

Quote:
My educated guess is that they may be talking about MY '17 cars, and not the next generation Jetta. Why? The new gen Jetta hasn't been revealed across the globe - so, I'll be very surprised if the Thane factory folks know when the new gen will be out and when it will be available in India. Bizarre!
Exactly. AFAIK, Manufacturers Start selling 2017 Manufactured Vehicles in Feb-March . They indeed might be talking about MY17 vehicle.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks