Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 6th October 2016, 10:58   #466
Senior - BHPian

Re: 2015 Volkswagen Jetta Facelift : A Close Look

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhavik.1991 View Post
Mine is a Aug-2014 model and all wheels have anti theft lock nuts. There is a key in the toolkit as well. My alignment guy educated me about the nuts and key when I visited his shop with Jetta for the first time.
My July 2014 Jetta doesn't have these anti theft lock nuts too.

The 2010 Jetta has one anti theft lock nut on each wheel. There is the key to open them as well.

Epic - if your car has the anti theft lock nuts you should have the key too. Most likely its been misplaced by the owner / dealer.
normally_crazy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th October 2016, 11:51   #467
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy View Post
My July 2014 Jetta doesn't have these anti theft lock nuts too.

The 2010 Jetta has one anti theft lock nut on each wheel. There is the key to open them as well.

Epic - if your car has the anti theft lock nuts you should have the key too. Most likely its been misplaced by the owner / dealer.
Hi normally_crazy. I know there should be a key but there isn't and it it not available with the dealer from whom I bought the car. So it is very clear that it is misplaced.

My question to everyone here is now that the key is misplaced, what options do I have in order to have this bolt removed?
Old 7th October 2016, 20:20   #468
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epic View Post
My question to everyone here is now that the key is misplaced, what options do I have in order to have this bolt removed?
Few years ago hyundai svc guys were not able to remove one bolt of my Getz wheel as it was slipping. Service manager got technician to use hammer and a rod(which has sharp edge on one side) to loosen bolt and remove it. There was no damage whatsoever. You may try this as a last option if you cannot procure key.
Old 7th October 2016, 21:57   #469
BHPian

Hi,

There are "master key" sockets to help in this situation. VW should be having them here, or can try procuring them.

Otherwise, you can try to hammer on a 12-point socket onto the anti-theft lug bolt. Something just about the same size as the diameter of the anti-theft bolt.

Then you can just undo the lug bolt as usual. This make take a fair amount of tries though.

The socket and the lug bolt are likely to be damaged, where they make contact, as a result of hammering the former over the latter. However, this may not be much of a concern in this situation, except if you were to return this anti-theft bolt in case you find out if it belongs to someone else, and to whom.

Disclaimer: This should not be used by anybody to defeat the purpose of these anti-theft nuts and bolts, like for stealing. Everybody reading is urged to ensure that does not happen, and this information is not shared with people who are likely to misuse it.

Last edited by halfbytecode : 7th October 2016 at 22:06.
halfbytecode is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th October 2016, 22:34   #470
BHPian

Quote:

This seems to be an easy option.

OR,
Check out this link. (1:40 onwards)

Keep us posted, when you eventually manage to get it off!
Old 10th October 2016, 16:05   #471
Senior - BHPian

OEM Security Lug Nut Keys

So I think I may have probably solved my issue of sourcing the applicable key to the security lug nut on my car.

After a lot of research, I came across this on Ebay Ireland (www.ebay.ie). All one has to do is give them the 3 digit security key number (if you know it) or else send them a pic of your security lug nut.

Since I do not know the 3 digit security key number applicable to my lug nut, I emailed them with a pic of my security lug nut and got a reply within 30 minutes that the applicable key was available. Have placed the order and should be receiving the key within a week.

Paid 3.2k for it including shipping which I know is expensive but since I was out of all other options, it was a price I was willing to pay which I feel was the better and safer option as compared to the other options of welding/hammering the bolt which was risky business and could have damaged the rim or some other part of the car leading to a more expensive outcome.

For the benefit of those who require this in future if the need arises; link as below:

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/VW-LOCKING-WH...YAAOSwNSxVXvYG
Epic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th October 2016, 17:24   #472
BHPian

Re: OEM Security Lug Nut Keys

Quote:
For the benefit of those who require this in future if the need arises; link as below:

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/VW-LOCKING-WH...YAAOSwNSxVXvYG
Thanks for the inputs and good luck in resolving the issue. My 2009 Jetta also has a lock-bolt on each of the wheels, but luckily I have the adapter.

The VW workshop has strongly advised me to replace them with regular bolts in order to avoid potential problems, if and when the adapter is lost
Old 10th October 2016, 19:11   #473
Senior - BHPian

Re: OEM Security Lug Nut Keys

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoSphere View Post
Thanks for the inputs and good luck in resolving the issue. My 2009 Jetta also has a lock-bolt on each of the wheels, but luckily I have the adapter.

The VW workshop has strongly advised me to replace them with regular bolts in order to avoid potential problems, if and when the adapter is lost
Yes I am aware that the older Jettas have this security lug nut with a key for the same. I had met Team-BHP member normally_crazy yesterday as he also has security lug nuts on hs 2010 Jetta but his key pattern was different and so we could not get the bolt off my car.
Old 10th October 2016, 21:38   #474
BHPian

You should really try using a 12-point socket that is able to grab onto the outer side of the anti-theft lug. Hammer is lightly used on the socket to make the socket "points" or edges grab onto the anti-theft lug bolt.

It should not damage your alloy wheel, if the person doing it does not go absolutely crazy and strikes on everything in his way.

Try it yourself, its not really different from undoing the lug nuts as we otherwise do.

You will not find any use of the key you ordered in the future. You may be able to cancel your order at this point, and get a refund.
Old 11th October 2016, 16:18   #475
BHPian

Finally joined the bandwagon! Got myself a 2014 Jetta Highline DSG last week. The car has done 39k Kms, and comes with extended warranty till 2018.

First mod has already been done in terms of "got bhp" sticker

The car has pretty much all features enabled except staging, Rain closing. I have tried Mirror Dip, Fog lamps and cornering lights on reverse etc.

Have ordered LED reverse and indicator lights from Ali Express and will be ordering LED puddle lamps too soon.

Apart from a good detailing session, the car does not need anything else as of now. Will be getting full detailing done at Ultimate Detailerz soon. (or if you guys suggest anyone else)

I would need help with a link to order a VCDS cable and if anyone in Bangalore can help me with an intro to the VCDS world at his convenience. Can come to anyplace in the city.

Below is a short glimpse of the car. Will soon start its own thread.

2015 Volkswagen Jetta Facelift : A Close Look-imag3056s.jpg
2015 Volkswagen Jetta Facelift : A Close Look-imag3058s.jpg
2015 Volkswagen Jetta Facelift : A Close Look-imag3103s.jpg
vinayrathore is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th October 2016, 00:30   #476
BHPian

Guys need your quick help. I am being offered a 2015 Manufactured 2016 model car from Volkswagen Pre-owned group. The car is a demo car which has run 9000 Kms and if i go ahead and purchase i would be the first owner. I checked the car in Person and visibly no alarming issues was observed. Now the question is why a demo car is not registered for past a year? I generally avoid demo cars but given a good deal and verifying the car history completely can i go ahead with the deal? Is there any specific check that i need to follow apart from our regular PDI document for a demo car? What would be the best price for this?
Old 19th October 2016, 01:30   #477
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sree_hari82 View Post
I generally avoid demo cars but given a good deal and verifying the car history completely can i go ahead with the deal? Is there any specific check that i need to follow apart from our regular PDI document for a demo car? What would be the best price for this?

A friend of mine recently got one Jetta similar to yours. It is a 2015 manufactured 2016 model with 4000 kms on it. The car is almost new without any scratches or dents.

He got a nice deal so he bought it immediately. I guess he got his for around 18 lacs ex-showroom.

Take my advice, if you have any insider then ask about the vehicle because checking history won't work here. The showroom guys secretly repairs/repaint damaged parts in the workshop without any history.

I got to know this from my insider only so be careful and if you like the car then go ahead for it. You will be the first owner.
Old 19th October 2016, 10:42   #478
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Guys need your quick help. I am being offered a 2015 Manufactured 2016 model car from Volkswagen Pre-owned group. The car is a demo car which has run 9000 Kms and if i go ahead and purchase i would be the first owner. I checked the car in Person and visibly no alarming issues was observed. Now the question is why a demo car is not registered for past a year? I generally avoid demo cars but given a good deal and verifying the car history completely can i go ahead with the deal? Is there any specific check that i need to follow apart from our regular PDI document for a demo car? What would be the best price for this?
Please try to avoid demo cars. I have seen the demo cars being abused so much, not only by the potential customers, but more by the Sales Assistants themselves. You will never be able to assess its true condition. It doesn't mean anything that you would be the first owner. It is as good (or as bad) as it had been owned already be many rough drivers. My SA told me that their demo cars have been dirven at 140-180 kmph for so many times during test drives on highways.
My dealer told me the other day that VW still have close to 400 kits of Jetta to be sold. So, please do more research before finalizing on a demo car. This is my personal opinion.
RajaTaurus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th October 2016, 11:10   #479
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Now the question is why a demo car is not registered for past a year?
Generally, these TD cars have TC(Trade Certificate) plate. The car is registered temporarily, but it doesn't have any owner yet. The number issued for these cars are different from the ones you get if you choose to register car yourself. By doing this, they can sell the car & the new owner will be the 1st Owner. This is the same reason why you see many TD cars having Red Number Plates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddyguage View Post
Take my advice, if you have any insider then ask about the vehicle because checking history won't work here. The showroom guys secretly repairs/repaint damaged parts in the workshop without any history.
In case of Any damage to the Test Drive cars, the parts from other car is removed & replaced immediately and the insurance is claimed on that Other Car which will be handed over to the unlucky customer, if he chooses the matching Variant/Colour. This happens at every dealerships.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajaTaurus View Post
Please try to avoid demo cars. I have seen the demo cars being abused so much, not only by the potential customers, but more by the Sales Assistants themselves. You will never be able to assess its true condition. It doesn't mean anything that you would be the first owner. It is as good (or as bad) as it had been owned already be many rough drivers. My SA told me that their demo cars have been dirven at 140-180 kmph for so many times during test drives on highways.
My dealer told me the other day that VW still have close to 400 kits of Jetta to be sold. So, please do more research before finalizing on a demo car. This is my personal opinion.
Well said, Demo cars are abused like hell. I won't even bother to buy one even if it is offered at half the price.
CarguyNish is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th October 2016, 11:14   #480
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Sree_hari82. Frankly there should not be much of a problem in buying such a car. The fact that you will be the first owner means it will be treated as good as a brand new car with it's full warranty too. But do check the VIN and make sure it matches the year of manufacture.
Very importantly, contrary to what others say, you must check the service history as you need to know if the car has been serviced as per its service schedule (15000 kms OR 1 year which ever comes first) at an authorized service centre. If this is not done, VW can void your warranty!

I recently bought a used Feb 2015 Jetta as well and the car was owned by the VW Group itself and used for test drives by the press for reviews and later by their GM Sales for daily commute. I was to buy a brand new Jetta and was getting a brand new 2015 manufactured models for around 24 lakhs on road after discounts. Knowing that this model is soon to be discontinued, I prefered to buy a good used car over a brand new one. The car I bought had covered only 17k kms and is under warranty till Feb 2017. I will be taking an extended warranty soon. The car is in perfect condition and so I bought it after checking the service history. So I managed to get a car which was 1.7 years old with 17k kms on the odo, maintained by VW themselves, still under warranty and saved 7 lakhs on the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddyguage View Post

I got to know this from my insider only so be careful and if you like the car then go ahead for it. You will be the first owner.
I agree with this.
Epic is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed