Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th October 2016, 11:28   #481
Senior - BHPian

Security Lug Nut Removed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epic View Post
So I have come across a new issue in my 2015 VW Jetta after visiting the authorised service centre yesterday for a general check up. The general check up was positive and the car turned out to be absolutely clean which was comforting.

However, I decided to do the wheel rotation and alignment and came across a weird situation. We noticed that only one of the 05 lug nuts on only the front left wheel has a safety lug wheel nut (pic attached). The rest of the lug nuts were standard ones. To make matters worse, there was no key/adaptor in the tool kit to help remove this safety nut. The service centre themselves did not have the adaptor to remove this nut. We were all stumped as the service centre guys say that the Jetta does not come with this type of nut for the wheels and it usually comes on the Passat but they believe that this practice was stopped anyway by VW. More puzzling was that why only one wheel had this type of a nut, why not the rest? Their suggestion was to check with other service centres or else the nut will have to be spot welded to be removed an that could also affect the alloy rim. I am keeping this as the last option.

Another question to Jetta owners on the forum is - Does the Jetta come with such nuts as standard?

So I am now in a situation that in an emergency, I will not be able to remove the front left wheel because of this safety nut. It is terribly frustrating!! Anyone has any ideas?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
It is a socket which has a hex head on one end (which attaches to the wrench) and the matching male pattern on the other end. Looks like this:

Attachment 1562863

If the security bolt is over-torqued using the torque gun which these tyre shops use, the pattern on the key would wear out eventually forcing the owner to resort to tack-welds on the bolt head to remove them out.

It comes in a pack of 4 like this, one for each wheel:

Attachment 1562866
Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy View Post
My July 2014 Jetta doesn't have these anti theft lock nuts too.

The 2010 Jetta has one anti theft lock nut on each wheel. There is the key to open them as well.

Epic - if your car has the anti theft lock nuts you should have the key too. Most likely its been misplaced by the owner / dealer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfbytecode View Post
Hi,

There are "master key" sockets to help in this situation. VW should be having them here, or can try procuring them.

Otherwise, you can try to hammer on a 12-point socket onto the anti-theft lug bolt. Something just about the same size as the diameter of the anti-theft bolt.

Then you can just undo the lug bolt as usual. This make take a fair amount of tries though.

The socket and the lug bolt are likely to be damaged, where they make contact, as a result of hammering the former over the latter. However, this may not be much of a concern in this situation, except if you were to return this anti-theft bolt in case you find out if it belongs to someone else, and to whom.

Disclaimer: This should not be used by anybody to defeat the purpose of these anti-theft nuts and bolts, like for stealing. Everybody reading is urged to ensure that does not happen, and this information is not shared with people who are likely to misuse it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by One:1 View Post
This seems to be an easy option.

https://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=R6-frJjNhqk

OR,
Check out this link. (1:40 onwards)

https://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=l833ta7V6FY

Keep us posted, when you eventually manage to get it off!
Quote:
You should really try using a 12-point socket that is able to grab onto the outer side of the anti-theft lug. Hammer is lightly used on the socket to make the socket "points" or edges grab onto the anti-theft lug bolt.

It should not damage your alloy wheel, if the person doing it does not go absolutely crazy and strikes on everything in his way.

Try it yourself, its not really different from undoing the lug nuts as we otherwise do.

You will not find any use of the key you ordered in the future. You may be able to cancel your order at this point, and get a refund.
Hello everyone,

Firstly just want to thank all those who helped with suggestions on my issue with removing the security lug nut on my car without the key. As mentioned in an earlier post, I came across a seller on Ebay International that had keys for such security bolts but one needed to given them the code mentioned on the security key (if one knows it) or else send them a picture of the security lug nut. In my case I had to send them a picture of the same. I finally received the security key yesterday and it was a perfect fit. I have finally removed the security lug nut from my car and will be having it replaced with a standard lug nut. . Apparently the code was 533.

Here are some pictures of the same.
Attached Thumbnails
2015 Volkswagen Jetta Facelift : A Close Look-keybolt-top.jpg  

2015 Volkswagen Jetta Facelift : A Close Look-keybolt-diagonal.jpg  

2015 Volkswagen Jetta Facelift : A Close Look-keybolt-side.jpg  

Epic is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th October 2016, 12:22   #482
Senior - BHPian

Thank God! What a big relief you must have had. Incidentally, I checked wheels of my Jetta (VIN-Jan 16) and all were normal bolts. No anti-theft lug nuts.! Problem solved.!
Old 19th October 2016, 15:23   #483
BHPian

Re: 2015 Volkswagen Jetta Facelift : A Close Look

Hello everyone,

Have been running through multiple niggles in my 1 1/2 month old Jetta. Have driven 1800KM so far.

-Left front passenger window had rattles from the day one
-There is squeak sound when rolling up the left front passenger window
-There are rattles coming up from at-least two different places near infotainment unit
-There is a loose part inside the left front passenger window, which makes sound when opening the left fornt door.
- MFD showed up cruise control error, and ESC error on different occasions but went after a while

I was willing to ignore all of these, and tried to enjoy the vehicle. But unfortunately i was disappointed with the areas that i care the most.

Ride quality has been pretty bumpy, changed the tyres to Michelin primacy, and tried tyre pressure between 30-36 but no significant improvement. Got the alignment checked as well. Car glides through admirably on perfect road, but unsettled on imperfections.

Dont know if suspension needs any correction in my car, but i found it to be just okay. there is body roll while taking turns, does not feel planted.

Last 2-3 weeks there is 'thud' sound coming from rear, possibly from the trunk area. Have kept my boot empty. But slightest of unevenness on the road causes this thud sound. Its not that harsh, more like you get when you go on section joint.

Overall i am little disappointed, for the car that is touted as 'built like a tank' to see the rattles/squeaks, and ordinary dynamics. I am taking to service centre to see for any possible issues.

PS. Have tests driven the Jetta, for decent time, but mostly on good roads and never pushed it to see car dynamics.
Old 19th October 2016, 15:28   #484
BHPian

2015 Volkswagen Jetta Facelift : A Close Look-bronze-jetta.jpeg

New 'bronze' color for Jetta
mmmreddy78 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th October 2016, 17:20   #485
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmreddy78 View Post
Attachment 1567986

I'm surprised they launched a new color, when there were reports of Jetta being discontinued in India. False reporting earlier, I guess.

I was also surprised to see them advertising Jetta in their Volksfest advertisement in the newspaper.

What is this all about?
Old 19th October 2016, 17:25   #486
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I saw this color in Madurai show room 2 weeks ago. It is called Rust Brown. Man, it looks like some primer paint used on steel beams. Hurts eyes.

Last edited by RajaTaurus : 19th October 2016 at 17:27.
Old 19th October 2016, 17:40   #487
BHPian

Quote:
Attachment 1567986

Quote:
I'm surprised they launched a new color, when there were reports of Jetta being discontinued in India. False reporting earlier, I guess.

I was also surprised to see them advertising Jetta in their Volksfest advertisement in the newspaper.

What is this all about?
If one goes back couple of pages back, I did mention the arrival of the new Colour over a month back since VW palace Cross had started taking bookings for new Colour in August.
Jetta Wouldn't be pulled anytime before 2017 March or April
Old 19th October 2016, 17:55   #488
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishithrao95 View Post
If one goes back couple of pages back, I did mention the arrival of the new Colour over a month back since VW palace Cross had started taking bookings for new Colour in August.
Jetta Wouldn't be pulled anytime before 2017 March or April
It's great if it would be available. I was referring to the reports that information like only Petrol variants are available with the Chakan plant, apart the cars already with the dealerships which are not many.
Old 19th October 2016, 18:04   #489
BHPian

Quote:
I have finally removed the security lug nut from my car and will be having it replaced with a standard lug nut. . Apparently the code was 533.
Well that's a relief, but since you already have the security key now, wouldn't it make more sense to retain the nut on your wheel? It's quite unique anyway so will serve the purpose too.

If I were you I'd try to get 3 more and get them set one each on all wheels
Old 19th October 2016, 18:25   #490
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajaTaurus View Post
Thank God! What a big relief you must have had. Incidentally, I checked wheels of my Jetta (VIN-Jan 16) and all were normal bolts. No anti-theft lug nuts.! Problem solved.!
Oh you won't believe how relieved I am. The thought of the front left tyre having a puncture used to always cross my mind every time I took the car out.

Quote:
-Left front passenger window had rattles from the day one
-There is squeak sound when rolling up the left front passenger window
The left passenger window rattle may just be a misaligned door or unlubricated beadings.

I had the window squeaking issue too and it was solved by the VW authorised service centre. They basically just lubricated the beading. Never had this problem after that.

Both above issues even though irritating are minor and will be corrected by the VW service centre.

Quote:
-There are rattles coming up from at-least two different places near infotainment unit
-There is a loose part inside the left front passenger window, which makes sound when opening the left fornt door.
This again must be informed to the VW service centre. Rattles are usually minor issues but surprising for a brand new car.

Quote:
- MFD showed up cruise control error, and ESC error on different occasions but went after a while
Came across this issue myself but I realized that this happens when the car is left stationary and not used for a long time. I was out of the country for a week and on starting the car on my return the ABS/Cruise Control/ESC error cropped up but vanished within a minute of driving the car. I think the error is due to the rust accumulating on the brake disks which clears off after driving for a while and so the error vanishes too.

I experienced the same thing on my Yeti too when the car was not used for a week.

Quote:
Ride quality has been pretty bumpy, changed the tyres to Michelin primacy, and tried tyre pressure between 30-36 but no significant improvement. Got the alignment checked as well. Car glides through admirably on perfect road, but unsettled on imperfections.

Dont know if suspension needs any correction in my car, but i found it to be just okay. there is body roll while taking turns, does not feel planted.
Initially felt the same too but enjoyed the ride once all o4 tires were kept at 35 Psi. This was also recommended by the VW technician. On the contrary the ride should be better since the Jetta has multi-link suspension.

Quote:
Last 2-3 weeks there is 'thud' sound coming from rear, possibly from the trunk area. Have kept my boot empty. But slightest of unevenness on the road causes this thud sound. Its not that harsh, more like you get when you go on section joint.

Overall i am little disappointed, for the car that is touted as 'built like a tank' to see the rattles/squeaks, and ordinary dynamics. I am taking to service centre to see for any possible issues.

PS. Have tests driven the Jetta, for decent time, but mostly on good roads and never pushed it to see car dynamics.
This is a unique sound so should be sent for a check up. Possibly a bushing or something but again unlikely for a new car.

Quote:

What is this all about?
Yes this is weird as I was told by the VW Dealer that the Jetta has been discontinued when I wanted to purchase a new Jetta. They are currently focussing on getting rid of the current stock.

The new bronze colour is a surprise though for a supposedly discontinued model. Unless they have now decided to just continue with the current model with maybe some exterior/interior changes and brand it as the 2017 facelift.
Epic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th October 2016, 18:31   #491
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avisidhu View Post
Well that's a relief, but since you already have the security key now, wouldn't it make more sense to retain the nut on your wheel? It's quite unique anyway so will serve the purpose too.

If I were you I'd try to get 3 more and get them set one each on all wheels
This unique stuff is too risky and too much of a headache to have. I had enough of stress when I had one security lug nut and you suggesting that I now have 04?!! I do not want to have anything to do with a security lug nut again.
Old 19th October 2016, 19:34   #492
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Sree_hari82. Frankly there should not be much of a problem in buying such a car. The fact that you will be the first owner means it will be treated as good as a brand new car with it's full warranty too. But do check the VIN and make sure it matches the year of manufacture.
Very importantly, contrary to what others say, you must check the service history as you need to know if the car has been serviced as per its service schedule (15000 kms OR 1 year which ever comes first) at an authorized service centre. If this is not done, VW can void your warranty!

I recently bought a used Feb 2015 Jetta as well and the car was owned by the VW Group itself and used for test drives by the press for reviews and later by their GM Sales for daily commute. I was to buy a brand new Jetta and was getting a brand new 2015 manufactured models for around 24 lakhs on road after discounts. Knowing that this model is soon to be discontinued, I prefered to buy a good used car over a brand new one. The car I bought had covered only 17k kms and is under warranty till Feb 2017. I will be taking an extended warranty soon. The car is in perfect condition and so I bought it after checking the service history. So I managed to get a car which was 1.7 years old with 17k kms on the odo, maintained by VW themselves, still under warranty and saved 7 lakhs on the same.

I agree with this.
Thanks a Ton guys for the replies. I went for a test drive of the car and did not observe anything weird. I took the VIN number which is WVWA15167FA550106 when decoded i see it is a Jan 2015 Manufacturing and 2016 model (If i am correct). I was told that the Manufacturing Warranty will be expired by March 2017 which is the Standard 2 years given by the manufacturer and post which i need to take an Ext warranty which would cost me 47k. I would be left out with the standard warranty for just 4 months from now. I was under the assumption that standard warranty will take effect only after registration (correct me if i am wrong). I have now requested for the detailed service report from them just to check the car history.
I have another query does this car come by the new media player or it is the older one.

Experts, thank you once again for your time.
Old 19th October 2016, 23:43   #493
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sree_hari82 View Post
I was told that the Manufacturing Warranty will be expired by March 2017 which is the Standard 2 years given by the manufacturer and post which i need to take an Ext warranty which would cost me 47k. I would be left out with the standard warranty for just 4 months from now.
The Sales Advisor is taking you for a royal ride.

If you are going to be the first owner and car is currently on temp registration & will be registered for the First time, then you get complete 2 years standard warranty.

Looking at the above info, it seems Jetta is already registered which is why you are only getting 4 months warranty and SA asking you to get Extended Warranty.

If later is the thing, walk away. Only if you get complete 2 + 2 year warranty, then only it makes sense to get a 9,000 kms run demo car.
el lobo 6061 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th October 2016, 14:01   #494
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I took the VIN number which is WVWA15167FA550106 when decoded i see it is a Jan 2015 Manufacturing and 2016 model (If i am correct).
What do you mean by Jan 2015 manufactured and 2016 model?

If it is a Jan 2015 manufactured car then it is a Jan 2015 model! Where does 2016 come in this?

Based on your VIN number, your car is a Jan 2015 manufactured car.

Quote:
I was told that the Manufacturing Warranty will be expired by March 2017 which is the Standard 2 years given by the manufacturer and post which i need to take an Ext warranty which would cost me 47k.
Quote:
Originally Posted by el lobo 6061 View Post
The Sales Advisor is taking you for a royal ride.

If you are going to be the first owner and car is currently on temp registration & will be registered for the First time, then you get complete 2 years standard warranty.
The car is running on a temporary registration? Even though many dealers do this, I believe this is wrong and against the law. So what about insurance then? Remember, you will have to pay registration charges too.

The car's warranty begins from the date of purchase (date of generation of invoice) and not from the date of registration so the sales advisor is right.

Quote:
I have another query does this car come by the new media player or it is the older one.
The car should come with the new RCD 550 touch screen headunit. This is what I have in my 2015 Feb car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by el lobo 6061 View Post
Looking at the above info, it seems Jetta is already registered which is why you are only getting 4 months warranty and SA asking you to get Extended Warranty.
A good way to find this out is to go to an authorised service centre and check the history of details of the car through its VIN number.

Last edited by Epic : 20th October 2016 at 14:16.
Epic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th October 2016, 23:34   #495
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The car's warranty begins from the date of purchase (date of generation of invoice) and not from the date of registration so the sales advisor is right.
No correction here, it begins from the date of actual registration and not when the car is invoiced to the dealer.

Certain cars are low volumes and sit in dealer yards for months. That doesn't implies that the customer gets lesser warranty.

Quote:
A good way to find this out is to go to an authorised service centre and check the history of details of the car through its VIN number.
Since the car is running on temporary registration, I doubt there be any database for service as its still dealer demo vehicle. But worth giving a try.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks