Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 1st November 2016, 18:12   #511
Senior - BHPian

Re: Cruise Control Error?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmreddy78 View Post
Epic, i have run into this issue. This is observation on my car. I run into same error all the time if i try to set in lower speed, but for me cruise control is working if i press SET at higher speed. Try out at higher speed and see if cruise control is working. My VCDS scan indicates a fault "4481 - Cruise Control Switch (E45)", try a scan if you have a cable.
I have been checking this issue online and most have been talking about the 'Cruise Control' stalk. I believe in other models, the 'Cruise Control' switch/button is located on the indicator stalk and so the stalk needs to be changed. In case of the Jetta and newer models the switch is located on the steering wheel; so only the 'Cruise Control' switch/button needs to be changed or entire steering wheel then?
Epic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2016, 11:54   #512
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epic View Post
So I have now come across another issue with my 2015 Jetta which seems to be an issue with the Cruise Control.

I had driven to Igatpuri and back yesterday which is around a 300 km drive. While going, I did not use 'Cruise Control' but on the way back, I decided to use it. I pressed the 'Cruise Control' button and it asked to set in the speed. However, when I pressed 'Set', I got and '!' mark followed by the 'Cruise Control' sign where the kilometres are displayed which seems to be a 'Cruise Control' malfunction. The 'Cruise Control' did not set and neither did it work. I tried everything but it did not respond. If I stopped the car, the kilometers would display and if I moved the car, the malfunction sign would display again.

When I reached home, I shut off the car and started it again after 5 minutes and everything was back to normal. But if I tried setting the 'Cruise Control' again, it would show the error.

Here is the pic of the error. Please note that this pic is taken from Google and is not a pic of the MID of my car. However, the malfunction sign is the same as in the pic.
Drove the car to work today and activated the 'Cruise Control' a couple of times during my drive and it is now working perfectly. Do not know why the error occurred the other day. I will observe for a couple of days and check.
Epic is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th November 2016, 17:05   #513
BHPian

Re: 2015 Volkswagen Jetta Facelift : A Close Look

Hello BHPians. Apologies if I'm a bit off topic here. I'm planning to buy a pre owned Jetta and in the process of getting service history of a car. I have a couple of questions around this:
1) Do service stations oblige by providing service history if requested?
2) Is the service history database centrally connected i.e. if the car was in Mumbai, would I be able to get the service history details in another city?

Thank you all in advance.
Old 4th November 2016, 17:16   #514
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireFoot View Post
Hello BHPians. Apologies if I'm a bit off topic here. I'm planning to buy a pre owned Jetta and in the process of getting service history of a car. I have a couple of questions around this:
Yes, they will give details if you provide Vehicle/Chassis Number. They cannot ignore this. You have every right to ask them. Ask them everything including Accident Involvement. If involved (I hope you know this), make sure the Person isn't committed to Police Case. If that's the case, walk away no matter how tempting the car/price might be. Another car can be bought, but you're life is more precious then these cases.

Quote:
2) Is the service history database centrally connected i.e. if the car was in Mumbai, would I be able to get the service history details in another city?
Yes, Central database helps in getting details of vehicle history even if the car is serviced multiple times outside the registered state. That would be easier for dealer in getting the details when the car is towed, or serviced.
CarguyNish is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th November 2016, 17:20   #515
BHPian

Quote:

Thank you all in advance.
There no legal obligation to provide such data. It depends on the service advisor and the rapport you are able to build with him / her. I have bought two used Jetta in the past couple of years and each time I went to the VW dealer where the car was serviced (as per seller) and the service advisor there orally confirmed the last few service dates, the mileage at each service, major repairs etc. but did not provide a printout. Another time, I requested info from a VW service advisor over the phone but despite several promises, he didn't send me the requested information. VW dealers seem to have access to a central database as they were able to provide details about services done at other locations to me. However, such details are not always accurate. For instance, one advisor at a location told me that the car I was considering had come in to a different dealer with damage to the oil sump tank but when I visited the location where this repair was supposed to have taken place, they denied that it had ever happened. I was shown their computer screen and it showed that the service took place but for a different issue. Hence I don't know if the first advisor read it wrong or if somehow wrong information was shown when accessing the records from another location.

Last edited by Lobogris : 4th November 2016 at 17:22.
Lobogris is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th November 2016, 18:35   #516
BHPian

Quote:
Drove the car to work today and activated the 'Cruise Control' a couple of times during my drive and it is now working perfectly. Do not know why the error occurred the other day. I will observe for a couple of days and check.
I have a somewhat similar problem on my 2009 Jetta Automatic, while I do my Mumbai-Pune-Mumbai routine every week. Sometimes, while setting the cruise control around 70km/hr, the speed creeps upwards or downwards and I have to disable it/enable it and then set it again. This happens about 50% of the time. At speeds of 80km/hr and above, it works as expected and I don't face any issues. But I am ok to live with the situation, rather than have somebody mess it up further.
AutoSphere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th November 2016, 21:31   #517
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoSphere View Post
I have a somewhat similar problem on my 2009 Jetta Automatic, while I do my Mumbai-Pune-Mumbai routine every week. Sometimes, while setting the cruise control around 70km/hr, the speed creeps upwards or downwards and I have to disable it/enable it and then set it again. This happens about 50% of the time. At speeds of 80km/hr and above, it works as expected and I don't face any issues. But I am ok to live with the situation, rather than have somebody mess it up further.
In my case, I am actually looking forward to a solution to this as my car is still under warranty and so what ever needs to be changed; whether the cruise control switch, crusie control module or steering wheel itself, this is the time to do it.

Quote:
I have been checking this issue online and most have been talking about the 'Cruise Control' stalk. I believe in other models, the 'Cruise Control' switch/button is located on the indicator stalk and so the stalk needs to be changed. In case of the Jetta and newer models the switch is located on the steering wheel; so only the 'Cruise Control' switch/button needs to be changed or entire steering wheel then?
To my knowledge, the cruise control works or gets activated only from 20 kmph onwards.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 6th November 2016 at 10:49. Reason: Back to back posts merged.
Old 5th November 2016, 14:04   #518
BHPian

Quote:
So I have now come across another issue with my 2015 Jetta which seems to be an issue with the Cruise Control.

*SNIP*
My 2015 Jetta Highline TDI too had the same issue - happened about thrice to me over the last 18 months of owning the car. The last time it happened was almost a year ago and hasn't recurred since.

VW had no solution for me at all. Also, Google was no help, to the extent that I thought I was the only one in the whole world who ever faced this issue.

I am sorry you have this issue, but a small part of me is happy you have this issue. Comforting to know that I am not the only one.

Good luck and let me know if this is ever resolved.

Thanks and cheers
Old 5th November 2016, 15:47   #519
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarguyNish View Post
Yes, Central database helps in getting details of vehicle history even if the car is serviced multiple times outside the registered state. That would be easier for dealer in getting the details when the car is towed, or serviced.

I called up 2 service centers in Bangalore and both of them denied the fact that the database is centralized. They said I'll need to get in touch with the agency where the car is serviced.
Old 5th November 2016, 16:00   #520
BHPian

As far as I know, VW service centres have local as well as centralized databases. A service advisor confirmed the same to me in the past. It is just that they rely on their local database, unless they really have to access the centralized database.

For providing the service record of a car, they would likely need written consent of the present owner.
halfbytecode is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th November 2016, 18:01   #521
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I called up 2 service centers in Bangalore and both of them denied the fact that the database is centralized. They said I'll need to get in touch with the agency where the car is serviced.
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfbytecode View Post
As far as I know, VW service centres have local as well as centralized databases. A service advisor confirmed the same to me in the past. It is just that they rely on their local database, unless they really have to access the centralized database.

For providing the service record of a car, they would likely need written consent of the present owner.
Not true really. VW service database is centralised. During my purchase process of my used Jetta, I asked my regular service centre whether they can provide the service history of the car I was going to buy. All they required was the VIN number and after that not only were they able to share the service history but also able to tell me at which service centre the car was serviced.

I then contacted the service manager of that particular centre and he shared through SMS the date of service and the kilometers covered at that time. He however did say that if you require details and a print out, it cannot be given unless a written consent from the current owner.
Old 5th November 2016, 18:34   #522
BHPian

Quote:
Not true really. VW service database is centralised. During my purchase process of my used Jetta, I asked my regular service centre whether they can provide the service history of the car I was going to buy. All they required was the VIN number and after that not only were they able to share the service history but also able to tell me at which service centre the car was serviced.

I then contacted the service manager of that particular centre and he shared through SMS the date of service and the kilometers covered at that time. He however did say that if you require details and a print out, it cannot be given unless a written consent from the current owner.
They do have local databases too, at least this particular service centre I went to does. My Vento's last service was not showing up in their local database as it was done at a different service center. Accessing the central database was needed then.

Last edited by halfbytecode : 5th November 2016 at 18:38.
halfbytecode is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th November 2016, 18:50   #523
BHPian

What will be a general opinion from Jetta owners and experts about buying a Jetta HL DSG (Dec 2011) with full service history and 63k on the odo. It came out clean in a service center check-up as well.
Insurance expires towards the end of this month. Tires will need a change soon too.
For 6.5 lac approx, does it sound like a good deal?
Old 8th November 2016, 19:36   #524
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
What will be a general opinion from Jetta owners and experts about buying a Jetta HL DSG (Dec 2011) with full service history and 63k on the odo. It came out clean in a service center check-up as well.
Insurance expires towards the end of this month. Tires will need a change soon too.
For 6.5 lac approx, does it sound like a good deal?
Yes, 6.5 lakhs is a good price indeed, but I have seen Many Jetta Highline Automatic's for a higher price than that. Some questions which I may ask are

1. How many Owners ?
2. What's the reason behind low price compared to other similar cars ?
3. How many Services done so far ?
4. If tyres were changed previously, at what odo reading ?

If I get to know the answers for the above questions, it will be easier for me to recommend it. But I also suspect, there is a reason behind this low price.

Last edited by CarguyNish : 8th November 2016 at 19:38.
Old 8th November 2016, 19:46   #525
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarguyNish View Post

1. How many Owners ?
Single owner - registered in the name of a firm.
2. What's the reason behind low price compared to other similar cars ?
Not sure really. Everything checks out. No accident history. Got it checked at a service center too. None of the weld seals are tampered & no paint jobs. No scan errors either.
3. How many Services done so far ?
4 Services done.
4. If tyres were changed previously, at what odo reading ?
I'm waiting on this input myself.
Besides this, I'm also thinking of contacting the insurance company (I have a copy of latest insurance) checking with them if the renewal is eligible for NCB. The car is in Delhi.

What I also wanted to get an opinion for is on any kind of expenses I could be looking at given the fact that the car has clocked 63k.

Do any major expenses come up on a Jetta AT i.e. on 75k service etc.

Just got to know that the tyres were changed last year - dont know which month though.

Last edited by FireFoot : 8th November 2016 at 19:55. Reason: Additional comments
FireFoot is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed