Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 8th November 2016, 19:58   #526
BHPian

Re: 2015 Volkswagen Jetta Facelift : A Close Look

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireFoot View Post
What will be a general opinion from Jetta owners and experts about buying a Jetta HL DSG (Dec 2011) with full service history and 63k on the odo. It came out clean in a service center check-up as well.
Insurance expires towards the end of this month. Tires will need a change soon too.
For 6.5 lac approx, does it sound like a good deal?
I don't want to be pessimistic, but you should also check the following:
* Suspension
* Front-axles
* Brakes
* All electronics/fancy features
* No of Owners ( as suggested already )

I had purchased a Jetta HL DSG (2009) model last year with similar ODO reading and although the car is definitely a pleasure to drive, I had problems come up with:
* Front-suspension
* Rear Shocks
* Front-axles (now being attended to)

These would not typically be major expenses for normal cars, but for German cars, it costs quite a bit. And, I did not do the due diligence, since I was buying from a known party.

Apologies, if I have dampened your spirits
AutoSphere is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th November 2016, 20:02   #527
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireFoot View Post
The car is in Delhi.
Is this the Toffee Brown One ?

You're location shows Bangalore, why would you want to get that car from Delhi & use it here ? I am not saying 'Don't Use It', but the local Traffic Police will be targeting cars like these. If you want one, search them here itself. You'll get one for sure.

Also, I checked other cars price in Delhi, all of them are in 9-13 lakhs range. I will recommend Jetta, but I won't recommend the one you have shown interest on. (Sorry for that)
Reason - Low Price = Suspective, Niggles, etc.
CarguyNish is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th November 2016, 20:29   #528
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarguyNish View Post
Is this the Toffee Brown One ?

You're location shows Bangalore, why would you want to get that car from Delhi & use it here ? I am not saying 'Don't Use It', but the local Traffic Police will be targeting cars like these. If you want one, search them here itself. You'll get one for sure.

Also, I checked other cars price in Delhi, all of them are in 9-13 lakhs range. I will recommend Jetta, but I won't recommend the one you have shown interest on. (Sorry for that)
Reason - Low Price = Suspective, Niggles, etc.

This is a silver color car.
Reason for getting one from Delhi is because I can get it registered in my name in Delhi and then bring it to Bangalore. I was thinking I would have one year from there on to pay the road tax here (that gives me time for the money too )

But I'm leaning towards letting this one go owing to the inputs from trusted advisers here.
FireFoot is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th November 2016, 16:22   #529
BHPian

Got a call from Abra motors, Chennai for recall. They told, they'll install a rectifier and do an engine retuning to suit the rectifier. The process would take 3 to 4 hours. Free pick up and drop would be provided. Also, a spare car would be arranged if required. No change in efficiency or performance is what she claimed.
Dani7766 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th November 2016, 18:14   #530
Senior - BHPian

Folks, I would request your advice on DRL bulb for my Jetta Comfotrline. I am fed up with people showing five fingers to alert me that I forgot to switch off a light. Even police do that because it is yellow light. I need white LED. On Amazon I see Generic 1156 LED P21W bulbs available. Are they any good? Will there be Canbus error for such bulbs? Your inputs will be appreciated.
Old 12th November 2016, 21:20   #531
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajaTaurus View Post
Folks, I would request your advice on DRL bulb for my Jetta Comfotrline. I am fed up with people showing five fingers to alert me that I forgot to switch off a light. Even police do that because it is yellow light. I need white LED. On Amazon I see Generic 1156 LED P21W bulbs available. Are they any good? Will there be Canbus error for such bulbs? Your inputs will be appreciated.
I came across these Philips Xtreme Vision P21W LED 6000k bulbs.

https://www.amazon.com/Philips-White.../dp/B00HWS7TQG

Comments have a picture of one installed in a Jetta as a DRL. The person says they did not trigger any bulb out errors, so I think they are CANBUS error-free.
halfbytecode is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th November 2016, 16:11   #532
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfbytecode View Post
I came across these Philips Xtreme Vision P21W LED 6000k bulbs.

https://www.amazon.com/Philips-White.../dp/B00HWS7TQG

Comments have a picture of one installed in a Jetta as a DRL. The person says they did not trigger any bulb out errors, so I think they are CANBUS error-free.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RajaTaurus View Post

You could look at these bulbs available on Amazon.com (Link)

These specifically available for the MK6 Jetta.
Old 13th November 2016, 17:13   #533
Senior - BHPian

Thank you. I was considering iJDMTOY for sometime against Philips as this is available with Amazon.in. So just ordered 1 set and will post after receipt and installation.
Old 29th November 2016, 20:01   #534
BHPian

Reconfirming again the current model of VW Jetta has officially been discontinued in India.
Three dealers in Mumbai, Navi Mumbai and Thane confirmed this.
One of the dealers said that VW is focusing more on Tiguan now.
Old 6th December 2016, 14:08   #535
Senior - BHPian

Guys, a quick question. I've given my Jetta in for its 45k kilometres servicing and asked for the brake pads to be changed. The service guys got back saying the brake discs need to be changed as well, which didn't sound right to me. Would the brake discs really need replacement at just 40500 kms?
iliketurtles is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th December 2016, 14:10   #536
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iliketurtles View Post
Guys, a quick question. I've given my Jetta in for its 45k kilometres servicing and asked for the brake pads to be changed. The service guys got back saying the brake discs need to be changed as well, which didn't sound right to me. Would the brake discs really need replacement at just 40500 kms?
Look out for scratches on brake disc and also the thickness. If it looks good enough, there is no need to replace. If discs are expensive, you can get it faced at lathe.
Dr.Naren is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th December 2016, 14:20   #537
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Definitely something fishy.
Do the Discs need re-skimming ? Apart from this I see no reason why the discs are being changed. Ask them the reason behind this replacement

Did you notice the braking to be less effective ?

Last edited by CarguyNish : 6th December 2016 at 14:21.
Old 6th December 2016, 14:30   #538
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Do the Discs need re-skimming? Ask them the reason behind this replacement
I'm asking them to send me a picture of the brake discs, but I'm not sure this is the case. I've asked them to share a picture of the discs, they're claiming that the discs have some ridges and lines into it, and a new set of brake pads might get damaged if they don't replace the discs too, but I don't buy that argument really. Just sounds like a service guy out to add a few more bucks to his revenue column, although I could be wrong.

Quote:
Did you notice the braking to be less effective ?
There has been a bit of brake fade and slight sponginess, but nothing alarming. Just as much as you'd expect of a 40,000 run car. My gut feeling is that the brake discs don't need to be replaced and that a brake pad change is all that's needed.
Old 6th December 2016, 14:44   #539
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
they're claiming that the discs have some ridges and lines into it, and a new set of brake pads might get damaged if they don't replace the discs too, but I don't buy that argument really.
If the brake discs are damaged / has lot of scratches, SA is right about it. Performance and life of New brake pads would be compromised.
Old 6th December 2016, 14:56   #540
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Naren View Post
If the brake discs are damaged / has lot of scratches, SA is right about it. Performance and life of New brake pads would be compromised.
I agree 100%, but I don't think that's the case. Have asked him for a picture, I'll take it from there.
iliketurtles is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed