Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th August 2006, 12:45   #16
BHPian

Count me in the admirers of Maruti Omni as far as city-dwelling is concerned. It would be easiest to drive for you and especially your wife. But safety is indeed a major issue and should be considered appropriately. You must have another car in your garage to go out, even 5 kms out of city! Keep Omni for sabji-mandi and all. If you can't afford another car or don't intend to have one, just forget Omni. Alto is better option, or Versa (budget problem? buy a used Versa, they are cheap), if you need a van anyway.
Old 20th August 2006, 16:49   #17
BANNED

I think Omni will fit the bill of a good VFM family vehicle if handling & ride comfort are not taken into consideration.

And never forget that it's one of the cheapest VFM utility vehicle with a large legroom available in India and it's the ultimate vehicle for large families who can't afford Scorpios/Innovas.

Also it's easy and cheaper to maintain an Omni than a new generation Indian bike. That's why it has got one of the highest resale value like M800.

Everyone are of the opinion that a bonnet in the front can save you from all the accidents. Are you thinking that a M800 with a effeminate bonnet alone can survive all the accidents ?

If safety issue is the sole consideration for each & everything, then we can't never see the 2-wheeler riders on the road....AND they would be fitting bull bars or bonnets in the front !!!

Every vehicle has it's own pros & cons and nothing is perfect
in this universe and in the case of Omni it's pros outweigh the cons that's why it's still remaining as one of the top-sellers...

Drive safely & sensibly and leave the rest to the GOD.................
Old 20th August 2006, 18:20   #18
BHPian

where is vicentt?
i am waiting for his reply.
Old 20th August 2006, 21:00   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithun
If safety issue is the sole consideration for each & everything, then we can't never see the 2-wheeler riders on the road....AND they would be fitting bull bars or bonnets in the front !!!
[i]
Those is a very strong and true statement, How many times have we seen a family of husband, wife and their 2-3 kids along with all their shopping goods travelling on "Hamara Bajaj"??

I think that those folks are definitely far more safer and comfortable in the Omni..
Old 20th August 2006, 21:43   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE-U-
Although I haven't driven it now for more than a year, as long as you don't exceed 90kmph, the Omni does feel stable. You start to feel the buffeting after that. The safe speed on the Omni is probably 70 kmph.
I have driven omni for good 6 years for 70,000 KM in city and highway. So far no mishap. It all depends on how you drive the car or expertise in driving. The above quote is the benchmark for driving omni. I still own one which my wife drives comfortably in busiest of city areas.

For reduicing the heat thermocol can be applied below the two front seats from where the engine heat is transferred above.
Old 21st August 2006, 15:59   #21
BHPian

Thanks for your comments

Hi,

I am sorry for the late reply. Was out for the weekend and came late online.

Thanks very much for your comments. These concerns you have raised here on safety and other issues are really genuine. I will look at Versa as an option, considering that it has got all the Omni has in terms of space, and most important the safety feature - really absent in Omni.

Thanks once again for all your sincere comments. I really appreciate them.

Vincent
Old 21st August 2006, 17:12   #22
BHPian

Hi Mithun,

I have to agree with you on your post. It all depends on how one drives. The rest is your bad luck when it comes to accidents.

How safe is a car with a bonnet? I think only a little better than Omni. Atleast of M800 I can say so, I had my uncle whose legs were kind of totally damaged in a car accident involving an M800, the injury would have been a little worse in an Omni.

Yes keeping in mind that there is no frontal protection at all for the OMNI, I will agree that safety is an issue. But I still prefer to stick with that safetfy depends on how one drives. If accidents are caused by someone else's fault, then thats something we cannot comment on at all.

I want to thank all of you for your kind remarks.

Vincent
Old 22nd August 2006, 06:55   #23
BANNED

I would recommend yout to never go for Versa, it's a 100% crappy vehicle. That's the reason why it's still a flop show !!!

Omni is surely better than Versa (in all aspects) except in the suspension part since Versa is having MacPherson strut. That's the only pro of Versa.

Never forget that, Versa is having a horrible handling.
Old 22nd August 2006, 09:29   #24
BHPian

vincentt,
one small query.

are you aware of the term used here in this thread, CRUMPLE ZONES?
if yes, good and try to implement them in your buying decision.
if not, better learn about it before buying any car.
period.
Old 23rd August 2006, 23:10   #25
BHPian

Crumple zones yes I know about that

Hi Revharder,

Yup I heard of crumble zones, the space between the engine and the leg space inside the car, which is supposed to absorb the impact in event of a collision before transfering it to the occupants of the vehicle.

Crumple zones ... Omni will be asking what is that and answer will be Not Applicable. Its yes a free hit for the legs and ofcourse entire body. Safety features is really a big ? question mark on Omni. I am looking at the utility point of view. when I mentioned all this to my wife, she still said, "we had discussed about safety factor in the beginning itself, so that is out of discussion", "talk something new because of which we shoudl not buy it".

Infact I agree on 100 counts that safety is a big issue here. But my heart sitll beats for Omni, I will look at other choices surely as so many of you here are my well wishers and have asked me to avoid Omni.

Thanks once again.
Old 24th August 2006, 04:48   #26
BHPian

Vincentt, Seems to me you pretty much decided on the Omni. It is a good vehicle as long as its driven responsibly.

I would also like to ask a question here. I am not sure where a poll would go, but I would like to find out how many of you use your seatbelts on a regular basis.

If one is not wearing the seatbelt any amount of crumple zones/air bags etc. is not going to help during accidents. In that sense, the Omni may be as safe as the next vehicle.
Old 24th August 2006, 12:40   #27

Hi Vincentt,my sincere advice is don't go for OMNI as it is the most vulnerable car. I consider alto & 800 itself to be very vulnerable. If ur budget doesn't allow u to go more than Omni then go for 800 which is actually cheaper than omni and seats are also comfortable compared to omni.pl.
Old 24th August 2006, 14:14   #28
BHPian

Good, so many pro's and con's of OMNI, I like it, its growing on me.
If you decided on OMNI, go for it, it is a nice little runabout, which can do a bit of everything, if you drive it sensibly. Any person from Kolkata will be able to testify the fact that it is a sheer boon in the congested city roads, and it can make long trips. The handicap of the OMNI gets shadowed by it sheer utility, wich no other vehicle can match at the price.

Best of Luck vin, and if you want once take a look at the Versa also. It is not so bad as it is made out to be.
Old 24th August 2006, 19:53   #29
BHPian

This is interesting

Hi,

I must thank each one of you for your comments. I really appreciate both the positive and negative aspects. On Negative I think safety was the biggest concern which I share too.

Anyway I have shelfed plans of buying a vehicle immediately so will look at new arrivals too if any at that point of time!!

A couple of things that came to my mind, through the post is about the question of seat belts. My dad has an alto, and whenever I drive even though its for 1 Km only, i wear the seatbelts. I just cant drive without it on now. Even when using a bike, i used to use helmets constantly even for short trips.

Crumple zones on Omni, non-existant, but accidents caused by your own fault, only God can save you. I have been driving 4 wheelers for over 9 years now, and no accidents thankfully. I think I drive at a sensible speed of around 60 - 70 even on the Omni ride etc. This gives good control too.

The most important thing on being on road is driving sensibly I think. If you meet with an accident with someone else's mistake its really unfortunate. I have ample number of cases in Goa from where I am too, wherein Omni's were involved in crashes. A couple of them on the Margao - Panaji highway, wherein all omni's were at fault and not the opposite vehicle. Yes teh Omni was in bad shape, but driving sensibly a question here. All accidents were caused during overtaking only!!!

I have one golden rule when it comes to overtaking. If you are overtaking, you got to be absolutely sure on the take, rather if you are the opposite side when some other vehicle is being overtaken, if the vehicle coming into you, is bgger than you or more powerful, jam the brakes because he will not stop. If its a bike or cycle, flash the light and try to hold him. It pays to be a little patient either side. It all comes to sensible driving anyway.

Your comments.
Old 24th August 2006, 20:02   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincentt
she still said, "we had discussed about safety factor in the beginning itself, so that is out of discussion", "talk something new because of which we shoudl not buy it".
sorry to disappoint her and hers was not a proper decision to go for a thing like in this particular way!
if some people are suggesting a thing over and again, there must be something! atleast you can check it once!

if she considers safety as not of a prior item, then it is bad, and i'd suggest her to keep praying for not allowing it to go 'sad'.
hope you got my point.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks