Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 5th March 2015, 11:23   #76
BHPian

Re: Tata Hexa @ Geneva Motor Show 2015. An Aria-based Crossover!

It's a wonderful design, and IMO one of the best Tata has ever done. Looks like JLR had a hand in the design and engineering, by seeing some of the parts. Provided they ensure it's problem-free and reasonably(I didn't mean 'cheap') priced, there will be a lot of buyers, and this can be a strong contender in the segment. Should be positioned as a luxury SUV with a very comfy middle row and FE should be >10 kpl.

They should avoid too much of electronics and sensors if they can't make it trouble free. I know someone who avoided the Aria just because of all the sensors and electronics which he feared(or was it actually so?) getting complaints frequently.
Old 5th March 2015, 12:30   #77
BHPian

This can become a real competitor to XUV500. 1000+ units is easily achievable. Tata and Mahindra are not a great desirable brand in India. People are ready to spend on XUV only because of its looks. So, if priced similar, tata can easily grab a good share of XUV buyers and to an extend, Innova buyers.

Now coming to service, I owned Safari 2.2 for 5 years. I hated their service and became a tata basher. But now, with the experience of servicing my Chevy Cruze, I feel tata was not that bad, especially when it comes to spare prices and availability. So if Tata has even improved its service by 20%, I would be happy to go back to Tata.
Holyghost is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th March 2015, 21:22   #78
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinair View Post
This is the face that should be stuck on a vehicle like Safari, which does some justice to the term 'SUV' in our Indian context!

Just love the way the head lights wrap above the front fenders! (Image courtesy - http://indianautosblog.com/)
Sorry!! I disagree.. The Storme's face is far more macho and suits the SUV characteristic, this one is more toned down, almost looks like a better looking front end for a XUV. SUV needs to have a aggressive face, not car like wrap around headlamps and big plastic bumpers. IMO the older Safari had the most macho profile among all Tata SUV baring the Sumo. The Storme got a lot of Freelander inspiration and the silhouette and the front and back profile is almost a straight ripoff, not that I am complaining. I prefer a square boxy shape for a SUV.
Old 6th March 2015, 11:57   #79
BHPian

Definitely a good looker even it has it's roots in Aria, Still its looks more a crossover than an SUV
I really fears if they repeats the history of Aria's pricing strategy
If the pricing is proper, it can give competition for Innova on both fronts to some extend in both Personal and Taxi
But Innova's quality still a challenge

I doubt it will be a competitor for XUV500, Because Mahindra is much faster in giving Upgrades and facelift and new products
(Upgrades really feels like upgrades rather than changing Head lamps/Plastics here and there - Eg Scorpio)
By the time Tata Productize this one, there might be a better and new competitor from Mahindra
Also with this heavy Ladder frame, it cant take XUV in rallying front
arunrajk81 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th March 2015, 12:12   #80
Senior - BHPian

Hexa Concept gives us idea about what to expect from their coming small SUV below 4 meters. I am sure it will look on pretty similar lines what Hexa Concept has. If it does in reality, it will be a car to look for. Surely it will look attractive.

Tata should bring this car to replace Aria ASAP. This looks promising. If they price it sensibly, it will surely sell. Launch it in competition with XUV. If XUV can sell around 3000 per month, Tata can at least sell 700-800 per month and that will not be a bad number for them for sure. Hope Tata will launch this with proper homework and testing
aniketi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th March 2015, 12:19   #81
BHPian

Lots of people have posted that TATA Motors shouldn't make the mistake of pricing this SUV in the same manner as the Aria's original launch price.

Can we suggest to TATA at what price points they should launch this vehicle ?

For reference, current New Delhi ex-showroom prices of XUV 5OO and ARIA are :

XUV
W4 FWD 11,19,420
W6 FWD 12,46,623
W8 FWD 14,06,684
W8 AWD 15,05,228
XUV500 Xclusive Edition (without powered driver's seat) 14,49,000
XUV500 Xclusive Edition (with powered driver's seat) 14,65,000

ARIA
Pure LX 4x2 10,42,284
Pleasure 4x2 12,56,163
Pride 4x4 15,43,021

Cheers,

FourWheelDrift

Last edited by FourWheelDrift : 6th March 2015 at 12:42.
FourWheelDrift is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th March 2015, 14:17   #82
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunrajk81 View Post
Definitely a good looker even it has it's roots in Aria, Still its looks more a crossover than an SUV
I really fears if they repeats the history of Aria's pricing strategy
If the pricing is proper, it can give competition for Innova on both fronts to some extend in both Personal and Taxi
But Innova's quality still a challenge
IMO if you compare the Aria and Innova by leaving the brands ie Tata and Toyota respectively, out, the Aria (newer improved version) trumps Innova in every aspect other than last row comfort.

Toyota keeps increasing Innova's price without adding any features and people dont complain but at the same time Tata makes a herculean effort and equips Aria to the brim and prices it accordingly, at least the new revised prices, and people complain about the high price only because its a Tata as if Tata gets its technology and other resources for free! Very Unfair.

Mods please feel free to delete or edit the post if its inappropriate.
rosaf is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 6th March 2015, 16:18   #83
BHPian

Since the topic of Innova has been raised, current New Delhi ex-showroom prices are below.

VERSION NAME SEATS PRICE

E (Diesel) PS, W/O A/C 8 10,51,451
E (Diesel) PS, W/O A/C 7 10,55,607
E (Diesel) PS 8 11,03,867
E (Diesel) PS 7 11,08,671

G (Diesel) 8 12,58,279
G (Diesel) 7 12,53,579

GX (Diesel) 8 13,14,707
GX (Diesel) 7 13,10,007

VX (Diesel) 8 15,16,578
VX (Diesel) 7 15,11,878

ZX (Diesel) 7 15,80,930

Where should TATA price the HEXA SUV, relative to Aria, XUV and Innova ?

Cheers,

FourWheelDrift

Last edited by FourWheelDrift : 6th March 2015 at 16:34.
FourWheelDrift is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th March 2015, 17:06   #84
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosaf View Post
IMO if you compare the Aria and Innova by leaving the brands ie Tata and Toyota respectively, out, the Aria (newer improved version) trumps Innova in every aspect other than last row comfort.

Toyota keeps increasing Innova's price without adding any features and people dont complain but at the same time Tata makes a herculean effort and equips Aria to the brim and prices it accordingly, at least the new revised prices, and people complain about the high price only because its a Tata as if Tata gets its technology and other resources for free! Very Unfair.

Mods please feel free to delete or edit the post if its inappropriate.
There is a difference in the story of Innova's story and Aria's

When Innova was launched, the price was not too high
As people started accepting the car and demand increases, they started exploiting it

Aria's story is different (may be reverse)
Price quoted was too high during launch
Generally in Indian market, if a car not accepted during launch, its difficult to sell later even with price corrections
Ford Fusion is an example

I agree Aria has lots of feature.
But how many people outside this forum looks for lots of advance features Aria was offering other than reliability if Innova?
arunrajk81 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th March 2015, 20:36   #85
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

I actually quite like the Hexia design and would be willing to put my money on it, provided they provide decent interiors. The current ARIA has a line of roof bins on the top, but not a single place to keep phone and other stuff in the center console. Can you believe it ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by FourWheelDrift View Post
Lots of people have posted that TATA Motors shouldn't make the mistake of pricing this SUV in the same manner as the Aria's original launch price.

Where should TATA price the HEXA SUV, relative to Aria, XUV and Innova
You are missing a major point. The LX version of the Aria for 10.x was launched much much later after the product bombed miserably.

The XUV on the other hand was launched at a killer price and then Mahindra moved it's way up the greedy scale over the next three years.

More than just asking the forum what price should it be launched at, Tata Marketing needs to understand that their goodwill for premium models is not that great, so maybe a version with just AC/PS/Air Bags and ABS should (kinda like the XUV W6 should be offered at a 10 L to 12 L price bracket.

Last edited by 4x4addict : 6th March 2015 at 20:37.
Old 6th March 2015, 22:50   #86
BHPian

I'm happy that Hexa doesn't look like an oversized Indica.
To me D pillar looks mobilio'ish!

With XUV500 at one side of the price point and Fortuner and Yeti on other, it would be a very good amount of space for tata to work on the pricing front.
In my opinion it would definitely be more sensible to price it around XUV500. As the price will near Fortuner it would be a difficult competition for Hexa.
Also with such a premium product Tata needs to better it's A.S.S. to a great extent.
rev_rohit is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th March 2015, 23:53   #87
Senior - BHPian

Tata should probably price this at a break-even rate or even at a marginal loss till the market accepts it and then slowly increase the price.

They've already tried the other option of pricing vehicles at what they feel were reasonable and eventually slashed the price and offered it for a loss due to lack of demand. That ensured that the early owners who actually bought it at full price paid heavily with the resale value.

It is much more easier to sell a new car with an attractive price than to sell a flop with an attractive price.
zenren is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th March 2015, 13:40   #88
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Totally agree with rev_rohit and zenren. Hope the Ivy leage MBA's at Tata will accept these humber suggestions from team-bhpians...
Old 7th March 2015, 14:21   #89
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FourWheelDrift View Post

I've also noticed no mention of their explanation of the name HEXA.

FourWheelDrift
Dude, six seats = Hexa. Don't attempt the cryptic clues section in the newspaper crossword!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakesh_r View Post
A bit OT, he mentioned about the nano Diesel which Tata had shelved. As per him, the engine was too big to fit inside the engine bay of the nano.
U seriously think they would build an engine for the Nano larger than what would fit in? Your Tata R&D engineer was a troll! The answer for shelving Diesel more likely lies in the tiny differential currently between Petrol and Diesel prices!

Last edited by FlyingSpur : 9th March 2015 at 03:02. Reason: Please use the edit button instead of creating back-to-back posts in quick succession.
Ferruccio is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th March 2015, 19:53   #90
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferruccio View Post
U seriously think they would build an engine for the Nano larger than what would fit in? Your Tata R&D engineer was a troll! The answer for shelving Diesel more likely lies in the tiny differential currently between Petrol and Diesel prices!
Or may be it's the transcendent laziness of TML that prevented them from casting an engine of a suitable size. In reality, very few care about an updated Nano. Everything aside, the Nano is a bare bones car. Now psychologically speaking, some of us might "exploit" a cheap diesel vehicle, just like M&M Commander(s) etc. were in the rural/semi urban areas, and push it to its limits, without caring much about its servicing and all. The current petrol Nano already suffers from build issues like squeaks, rattles etc. It's engine sounds like that of a Porsche, which I think is odd. I have seen 100's of these being violated by their owners. I can only imagine what a diesel Nano would have to go through if introduced.
nirdayitantrik is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks