Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 14th October 2015, 07:21   #376
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tata Hexa @ Geneva Motor Show 2015. An Aria-based Crossover!

Looks fantastic!

I recently traveled in an Aria Pure through Uber. I was really blown away by the ride quality and NVH. And the driver who also owns the car told me he gets around 12 to 13 KMPL on an average each month.

So, if the Innova sells around 5k each month, Hexa which should be an improvement on the Aria should at least get a steady 1000 units each month. I certainly hope so. Tata deserves that much for their effort. Expecting no pricing disaster like last time and hope all gremlins are sorted out.

Need to wait and watch. The India market is not kind to the manufacturers who are not popular. I was so impressed by the Bolt, but that one is no where to be seen on roads here.
deetjohn is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 14th October 2015, 08:58   #377
BHPian

400NM of torque with the same engine that they've been selling with 320NM tuning.

The compression ratio is going to be high. I'd guess (almost hope) they'll shorten the oil change interval from 15k to 10k kms.

*Yeah, I'd want better warranty on this.*

New gearbox. Gooood, hope it transmits that 400NM better with better gear ratios. (Weird that they choose to keep the same design of the Gear-knob as present in all their cars upwards from the 4L rupee Bolt.)

Looks are subjective, I find the front hood too Xylo-ish in the pics. Maybe its the angle.

They'd offered luxurious seats when they launched Aria, looks like a new design in this version. Don't know if its a step up/down apparently since they originally used to be the same as being offered by Mercedes Benz. Anyway.

Steering is the same as the current Safari Storme. Infotainment seems same as Zest.
Ambient lighting : Not a fan of extra electricals like those since they cost quite a bit to repair after their life of 3-4years. Anyway.

Was wondering how much they'll price this. Maybe they'll adopt the same strategy as Renault did with Kwid, or maybe they'll price it at XUV5OO levels (but then I'd want a significant assurance from TATA about the upkeep costs post the ending of the 3rd ownership year).

I guess they'll launch it around Diwali.

Last edited by WorkingGuru : 14th October 2015 at 09:03. Reason: (Btw, combustion in this higher pressure may lead to Higher NOx, will it fail tests 5 years down the lane?)
WorkingGuru is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2015, 12:46   #378
BHPian

considering all the features mentioned in the autocar gallery, i think the top end on-road price will be north of 20L. If they can price it similar to XUV W10, we have a winner here.
Old 14th October 2015, 12:47   #379
BHPian

Everything except the exterior design looks great. Looks may pass off for a MUV but certainly not a SUV. Looks like a station wagon, a cross between the timid mobilio and Honda BRV. Like Honda, Tata needs new designers.

I don't see it effecting the butch XUV or Innova, unless TATA prices it very very aggressively.
Old 14th October 2015, 12:47   #380
BHPian

The Hexa does look a lot slicker than the Aria. The rims aren't bad either.
I haven't owned a Tata car yet but does the Safari have high repair costs post the third year.
Also I am hoping that there is no pricing blunder nee the Aria. A well price Hexa could eat into the Innova sales. The V variant I last checked was retailing for 16.7x lakhs in Noida and the Z is a little more. There is market to be had here IMO.
Old 14th October 2015, 14:30   #381
BHPian

While the car looks superb all-round, I wonder if it's the way the photos have been clicked, or is the front and rear design little disproportionate. The area around the bonnet looks a little too short in comparison to the rear of the vehicle.
Old 14th October 2015, 14:48   #382
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
Looks fantastic!

I recently traveled in an Aria Pure through Uber. I was really blown away by the ride quality and NVH. And the driver who also owns the car told me he gets around 12 to 13 KMPL on an average each month.
I agree whole heartedly. Traveled Mumbai - Pune once in an Aria and was pleasantly surprised at how good it is. Better than any Innova I ve traveled on.

Guess it is the baggage that the brand Tata caries with it which stops it from doing decent numbers. Hope Hexa can change that.
vibbs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2015, 15:06   #383
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sub.g84 View Post
While the car looks superb all-round, I wonder if it's the way the photos have been clicked, or is the front and rear design little disproportionate. The area around the bonnet looks a little too short in comparison to the rear of the vehicle.
Infact it is all dependent on focal length. Our human eye sees in perspective which is equivalent to 50 mm focal length of camera. Now above shots are tele shots taken at much higher focal length. They are bound to look like that as human brain is not trained for this perspective. Any car with these kind of shot will have similar effect and will look disproportionate.

That is why it is always recommended to shoot portraits with 50mm lens as these photos will look more natural.
sushantr5 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th October 2015, 17:32   #384
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sub.g84 View Post
I wonder if it's the way the photos have been clicked, or is the front and rear design little disproportionate. The area around the bonnet looks a little too short in comparison to the rear of the vehicle.
Indeed, bonnet design is the culprit behind these mismatched proportions. I saw a camo version on Pune roads recently and noticed the odd proportions. Hence I don't believe it is attributed to the camera angles/focal length. Barring the bigger (and noticeable) wheels the car looked no different than the existing aria

See attached render from a bhpian and you'll know how a minor adjustment to the bonnet length and/or elevation could have done wonders

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/attach...inputs-swb.png
Old 14th October 2015, 18:00   #385
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajiv0909 View Post
Indeed, bonnet design is the culprit behind these mismatched proportions. I saw a camo version on Pune roads recently and noticed the odd proportions. Hence I don't believe it is attributed to the camera angles/focal length. Barring the bigger (and noticeable) wheels the car looked no different than the existing aria

See attached render from a bhpian and you'll know how a minor adjustment to the bonnet length and/or elevation could have done wonders

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/attach...inputs-swb.png
One can make a the Q7 short like the Q5 or the GL shorter like the ML and in this case the Hexa shorter like the XUV, but I would prefer the additional space on the inside rather than go just for the proportions.

Making the bonnet any longer would lengthen the car further and cutting the length on the inside would compromise the 7 seater + luggage space capability that the Hexa has. I can live with these looks and infact love them.

The XUV has no space behind the third row while in the Hexa it is a fair bit and yet not too much and this is welcome, also each passenger on the inside gets more space.

It is a bit like the Octavia being better proportioned than the Superb but if one has the money one would normally get the Superb.
ACM is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 14th October 2015, 18:39   #386
BHPian

Pricing will remain the key, with the storme occupying 10-14.5 bracket, Xuv 11-16.5, Innova 11-16.5 question remains where are they going to slot the Aria. I don't think Tata should look at competition and price it almost the same, strongly competitive pricing will lead the way, and heavy focus on improving the quality on the product and dealer experience will help them make strong inroads. The storme is already due for a new model and refreshes arent going to keep it on top for long. A 10-15 price bracket for the Storme, should hammer Innova and XUV in a big way
Old 15th October 2015, 00:42   #387
BHPian

There was a time in 2014 when I had test driven the Aria Pure model as a replacement for the Manza. It was quoted 12 lakhs on road but did not have airbags, music system and few other features. Still had ABS, rear discs and was very comfortable. I wasnt convinced of spending then for a car without music system and the service center was'nt sounding very confident themselves on the product.

I am convinced the quality has improved, the drivability (gearbox + engine response) has improved throughout their range. I am also convinced that they are trying to put a good show, right their wrongs etc in terms of Servicing the vehicle.

I have been a TATA customer since 2005 and here is what I would expect TATA to do if they want me to put my money on the Hexa.
- There has to be one point of contact who knows my vehicle and my usage,
- treats me like a 20+ lakh vehicle customer (no , not the coffee or cool drinks show but the importance that I actually trusted them than going to their competitors),
- understands my problems with the vehicle
- quick to respond to solve the problem than keeping my vehicle in the garage for 2 days
- doesnt spill grease or other stuff inside the vehicle when repairing it
- Don't charge me labour or for parts if your parts keep failing. Its not my fault. I have already taken enough trouble in coming back repeatedly.

And yes, I would appreciate if the mechanics themselves are sure and have a good feeling about their product than telling me "Safari is like a elephant, Aria is a failure product" blah blah, especially when I am already facing the flak from the rest of the world for being with TATA all these years.

Last edited by TorqMaster : 15th October 2015 at 00:43. Reason: changed Aria to Hexa
TorqMaster is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 15th October 2015, 10:00   #388
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vibbs View Post
I agree whole heartedly. Traveled Mumbai - Pune once in an Aria and was pleasantly surprised at how good it is. Better than any Innova I ve traveled on.
This is exactly how I felt when I traveled in an Aria with a colleague. The car is absolutely charming on the road. Its quite sad that it did not sell.

Now coming to the Hexa, Tata have their job cut out.
  • Price it correct (You go wrong on this and its Aria all over again)
  • Get the marketing right
  • Train the staff who are going to deal with the Hexa customers
  • Setup dedicated service staff who will attend to the Hexa customers

At the outset, everything looks right with the car. It looks great. It has all the goodies that can pull people to the showroom.

Now the moot question: Will they launch while the euphoria is high OR will we debate this topic into the better part of 2016 and then everyone loses interest on this.
ptushar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th October 2015, 10:29   #389
BHPian

I couldn't have put it better! I have just one suggested change in bold below:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqMaster View Post

I have been a TATA customer since 2005 and here is what I would expect TATA to do if they want me to put my money on the Hexa.
- There has to be one point of contact who knows my vehicle and my usage,
- treats me like a 20+ lakh vehicle customer (no , not the coffee or cool drinks show but the importance that I actually trusted them than going to their competitors),
- treats me like a customer that actually trusted them than going to their competitors
- understands my problems with the vehicle
- quick to respond to solve the problem than keeping my vehicle in the garage for 2 days
- doesnt spill grease or other stuff inside the vehicle when repairing it
- Don't charge me labour or for parts if your parts keep failing. Its not my fault. I have already taken enough trouble in coming back repeatedly.

And yes, I would appreciate if the mechanics themselves are sure and have a good feeling about their product than telling me "Safari is like a elephant, Aria is a failure product" blah blah, especially when I am already facing the flak from the rest of the world for being with TATA all these years.
Old 15th October 2015, 10:52   #390
Senior - BHPian

Perfect XUV challenger. Though the profiles looks same as Aria in new design, the design looks more elegant as compared to the Aggressive looks of XUV.

It only gives more choice to customers, those looking for sporty and aggressive looks have the XUV and those looking or clean lines might like the way Hexa looks.

Big problem with tata in the past is their cars dont age that well. In just couple of years the cars(Even the vista) appear old, noisy and rough. I am sure the new breed of cars have taken the game to next level
rajshenoy is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed