Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 17th March 2015, 21:19   #31
BHPian

Re: Hyundai i20 Active: A Close Look

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandygordon View Post
Attachment 1350637

Well sorry to bother fanboys of active / cross-over variants. The pic sums up my view on hatches and their pseudo-suv avatars, be it hyundai, fiat or toyota. Is a swift cross coming too ?
+1 sandygordon.

This is very subjective, but I personally find all the regular hatchbacks from Fiat / Toyota / Hyundai to be better looking than their cross siblings. Isn`t increasing one dimension (height) of a well-proportioned design bound to spoil the overall looks.

Great report Samurai
nug1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th March 2015, 22:06   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post

Lots of enhancements at the front. The bumper is new with an inverted air-dam

Hyundai i20 Active: A Close Look-p1010600.jpg

The inverted air dam makes it look like a stylised Figo!

Last edited by Deep Blue : 17th March 2015 at 22:17.
Deep Blue is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th March 2015, 23:12   #33
BHPian

Excellent review, short & sweet. Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSR View Post
A variant wise comparison of features of the Elite i20 & i20 Active on Hyundai's website yields the following:
...:

Attachment 1350588
Nice summary again.

Funny part is that many of the useful features are sacrificed in the lower variants whereas the same can be had in Elite at the same or even lower price!

Integrated rear headrests, lane change indicator, auto unlock, IC rheostat, tilt& telescopic steering, 2nd power outlet, rear washer & wiper, auto airconditioner etc etc for only the top variant, SX!! Still Active S is costlier than Elite Asta

Quote:
Originally Posted by @KP View Post
For additional 1L, the following is offered -

IMO, not worth 1L. Go for Elite i20 Asta version and wait for those 2 months (even if you can't )
One also gets 2 new bumpers

Last edited by vinjosep : 17th March 2015 at 23:17.
vinjosep is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th March 2015, 00:21   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Attachment 1350637

Well sorry to bother fanboys of active / cross-over variants. The pic sums up my view on hatches and their pseudo-suv avatars, be it hyundai, fiat or toyota. Is a swift cross coming too ?
And ford too for that matter. I don't seem to get why we consider Ecosport as an SUV? Because it looks quite a lot different from a fiesta? It's nothing like a crossover IMO.
Coming to the Hyundai, quite a decent effort but it's quite ugly and overpriced.

Last edited by GTO : 18th March 2015 at 14:42. Reason: Typo
Old 18th March 2015, 07:24   #35
BHPian

i too feel that the active is overpriced. Hyundai could have done well by bringing the good looking projector head lamps to the asta elite.

Forgot about the ford ecosport. Pardon me for the silly comparisons. But ecosport is also a hatch on steroids. Here is what comes to my mind when i see an ecosport. (PS: I might buy an ecosport soon, though it looks that way. )
Attached Thumbnails
Hyundai i20 Active: A Close Look-ecosport.jpg  

sandygordon is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th March 2015, 08:24   #36
Senior - BHPian

Excellent review Samurai. I guess after reading this, no one will find the need to go to the showroom to know anything extra about the car, it's all here.

About the car itself, sorry to say looks hideous. Not everything can be a cross, specially the rear with its big reflectors, looks disproportionate if you ask me.
humyum is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th March 2015, 10:05   #37
BHPian

Elite i20 was a looker when it was launched. Several months down the line, it has already started looking... well, overdone. The Active just takes it to an even higher level. I often fail to understand why they have to make cars look so made up. Cuts, creases, cladding, chrome. What happened to simpler looking cars?

Among the cross hatches, I'd pick the Avventura. It looks the better of the lot.

And I wouldn't think Ecosport is a competition to the i20 Active. One look at the wheel well of these cross hatches would tell you how they made it tall. The unfilled wheel wells tells you the story. When you sit inside the cabin, you sit just like you'd sit in the donor car.

Hyundai i20 Active: A Close Look-hyundaii20active23.jpg

You should give it to ford for not making the Ecosport by taking a hatch and raising the suspension. Those who believe otherwise haven't sat in an Ecosport.
blacksport is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th March 2015, 10:07   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum View Post

Not everything can be a cross, specially the rear with its big reflectors, looks disproportionate if you ask me.
Couldn't agree more with you humyum. For once, Hyundai seem to have hired a designer from Maruti workshop for the Active!!

Flame me for this, but I iterate my view again, that..

..apart from Ecosport (which does not apparently have a hatch form), none of the other "Cross-Over", "Move-Over" or "Roll-Over" look better than their Hatch avatars.

Motorbeam have provided a Comparison against the current cross-overs Here.

An edited snapshot of the Diesel variants taken from the same link.

Attachment 1350798
Hyundai i20 Active: A Close Look-i20activevsavventuravscrosspolovsetioscrossdiesel.jpg

- As a kid, I remember my uncle picking up the Sexy Exteem VXi for a mere 5lks OTR Bangalore. Just when I thought a Hatch was an expensive investment, we have cross-overs which "Crosses" the boundary!!

Last edited by aah78 : 18th March 2015 at 18:49. Reason: Post edited. Please do not edit out copyright tags from linked images. Thanks!
Vik0728 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th March 2015, 10:24   #39
BHPian

Bang on time with all that i wanted to know about this Crossover. Personally, not a big fan of these machines. IMO, they look overdone while the overall size more or less remains the same. Its like a small person bulking up to look big . Add to that the oversized rear reflectors that stick out like a sore thumb. I guess more companies are budging to competitor pressure with crossovers, i have not seen them in plenty on road. Will keep an eye out for the monthly sales report.

Last edited by GTO : 18th March 2015 at 14:44. Reason: Typo
Old 18th March 2015, 10:27   #40
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacksport View Post
One look at the wheel well of these cross hatches would tell you how they made it tall. The unfilled wheel wells tells you the story. When you sit inside the cabin, you sit just like you'd sit in the donor car.
Hmm, that is not accurate. The photo you are referring to was taken when the front suspension was compressed. I took it to show the articulation of rear wheel.

See here:

Quote:

Samurai is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th March 2015, 10:42   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Hmm, that is not accurate. The photo you are referring to was taken when the front suspension was compressed. I took it to show the articulation of rear wheel.

See here:
OK, I might have picked up an extreme case, it is just a 2cm difference that we are talking about, which might not be that too apparent in pics. But the fact is that it is just a suspension jack-up job, correct? Which is not the case in the Ecopsort. It is definitely small, but you sit straight and the cabin itself is taller than the donor, the fiesta.
Old 18th March 2015, 11:30   #42
BANNED

Good review.

The only thing I liked about this model is the new front grill and frontal look. As I mentioned earlier, too much decorations on a small car makes it gaudy. Without the roof rails, it would have looked more matured, IMO.

Hyundai i20 Active: A Close Look-hyundaii20active04.jpg

BTW, Mods, why this thread is not in "Official review" section?

Last edited by romeomidhun : 18th March 2015 at 11:42.
romeomidhun is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th March 2015, 12:11   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Attachment 1350637

That sums it up

Exactly what I had thought when Etios Cross and Polo Cross were launched. All looks no substance at a premium. I would rather go for standard i20 and invest remaining 2L in some other sensible market instrument.
Old 18th March 2015, 12:14   #44
BANNED

Quote:
[center]
Basic suspension changes to increase the ground clearance. Springs are taller now. Rear wheel well gets no insulation cladding, yet overall NVH levels are best-in-class:

Is it me or does the car look like it has been lifted up on a jack. Position of the wheel in terms of the body looks odd. I guess it is a half baked effort at increasing the GC without changes to the body work.

For a car that is detailed so well, this is a big eyesore.

Last edited by GTO : 18th March 2015 at 14:51. Reason: Language
Mafia is offline   Received Infraction
Old 18th March 2015, 12:26   #45
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mafia View Post
Is it me or does the car look like it has been lifted up on a jack. Position of the wheel in terms of the body looks odd. I guess it is a half baked effort at increasing the GC without changes to the body work.

For a car that is detailed so well, this is a big eyesore.
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacksport View Post
OK, I might have picked up an extreme case, it is just a 2cm difference that we are talking about, which might not be that too apparent in pics.
I suspect it is more like 7-8cms, you be the judge.

Same wheel on level ground.

Hyundai i20 Active: A Close Look-p3120079001.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeomidhun View Post
BTW, Mods, why this thread is not in "Official review" section?
Only full reviews of new cars make it to "Official review" section. As far as we are concerned, this is nothing but i20 Elite with some extra bits.

On a lighter note, why did i20 Elite cross the road?
  • To join Polo, Etios and Avventura.
  • To become Active.

Take your pick.

Last edited by GTO : 18th March 2015 at 14:53. Reason: Quoted post edited
Samurai is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed