Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 23rd March 2015, 11:26   #1
Team-BHP Support

Datsun Go will come with driver side airbag

Nissan has announced that its budget hatchback, the Go, will come with a driver side airbag shortly. The airbag is likely to be available on the top-end variant of the car.

It may be recalled that the Datsun Go fared poorly in the Global NCAP crash tests, scoring zero stars. Not only did the car lack safety features such as airbags and ABS, but its structural integrity was extremely poor, causing it to disintegrate severely on impact. Global NCAP declared that the structure was so weak that even fitting airbags would be of no use. Max Mosley, chairman of Global NCAP had written to Carlos Ghosn, the chairman and CEO of Nissan, asking for a withdrawal of the Go from India and other markets. He had urged the company to redesign the car's body shell.

While the company's decision to equip the Go with an airbag seems to be a reaction to the failure in the crash tests, Nissan maintains that it had plans to provide airbags in the car right from the beginning of the Go project.

The airbag-equipped Go will be rolled out from Nissan's Oragadum plant, located near Chennai. Production will commence next month.

Source: Autocar India
Aditya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2015, 12:07   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Datsun Go will come with driver side airbag

Thanks Aditya for the news.

Right here on TBHP I read that Nissan is also rebuilding the entire body shell with stronger metals for the GO! Not only that, they are also confident of sending the car again to the NCAP for crash testing after these modifications are made to the Go!

A step in correct direction I would say!
Old 23rd March 2015, 12:08   #3
Senior - BHPian

Whats the point of an airbag, when the basic structure of the car itself fares very poorly in a crash? How can an airbag help when the firewall & dashboard move back several inches and the A-pillar collapses?

Putting an airbag in a Datsun Go feels like putting band-aid on a compound fracture.
KiloAlpha is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2015, 12:24   #4
Senior - BHPian

This Saturday, for the very first time, I had an opportunity to take a close look at the Go+. I had gone with a friend to the Nissan Service Center, to take care of some Dents. A Go+ was prominently parked near the entrance.
When I cursorily inquired, I was very surprised to hear a top-end Petrol vehicle price of 4.8 Lakhs ex-showroom. That piqued my interest and I took a closer look at the car. However, that initial interest was extremely short lived.

The car is appalling in it's apparent build quality. Visibly thin sheet metal, large panel gaps was quite evident.

The seats inside were flimsy, and I'm sure, would hardly offer any support.

The space management inside was poor and third row seats are totally pointless, from an adults perspective, for even a 5 km ride.
For kids, I hope for their sakes, that they are not subjected to that third row, since there will be absolutely zero protection in case of a rear collision (but then I have seen a 6 month old on a parcel tray in a Santro, so....).

The Driver ergonomics, to me, seemed very poor. the shift level has a very odd position, due to which you have to stretch your left shoulder every time, you need to shift. It would work fine for AT or AMT, but definitely not for Manual transmission.

Finally, what's with the wheel size? Small, skinny, in a rather large wheel well! Although I didn't drive it, I can only imagine the way it's going to ride and handle, and most importantly brake!

My point overall being, what is the compelling reason that Nissan (Datsun) needs to sell this vehicle at 4.8 Lakhs? In my opinion, if it is engineered and designed a bit better, there would be a market for it at even 5.8-6.5 lakhs ex-showroom.

All in all, it looks like the result of very poor product design and engineering. Just improving metallurgy, or introducing Airbags, is not going to make this product Sell!

Last edited by roy_libran : 23rd March 2015 at 12:26.
roy_libran is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2015, 16:41   #5
BHPian

Is it a driver side airbag or is it an airbag on the driver's side of the car? Normally side airbags are the curtain airbags above the windows in a car.

Am I reading in between the lines here?
Old 23rd March 2015, 17:18   #6
BHPian

Bad move unless they make the structure stronger. Imagine the airbag blowing right on your face or chest? Very dangerous.
Old 23rd March 2015, 19:16   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacksport View Post
Bad move unless they make the structure stronger. Imagine the airbag blowing right on your face or chest? Very dangerous.
Hi - Can you clarify what you meant? why adding this without the structure would be more dangerous than what it is today.

Coming to Datsun - this is a first step. Again - why did they release such a flimsy car in the first place. Neither is the brand known for people ot flock, nor does it cater to a niche segment. Sales havent shown any difference. Their strategy is pretty confusing ofcourse.

The only achievement if any could be that it makes Renault/Nissan feel upmarket------ so i am drawn to our age-old analogy---- how do you make a line longer without touching it ? Draw a shorter line next to it.
Old 23rd March 2015, 19:37   #8
Team-BHP Support

Thread closed.

Please continue discussion in this thread.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks