Team-BHP - Skoda Octavia vRS India launch delayed
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   Skoda Octavia vRS India launch delayed (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/161904-skoda-octavia-vrs-india-launch-delayed.html)

The demand for D1-segment sedans continues to remain meagre in the Indian car market. While the Toyota Corolla Altis manages around 1,000 factory dispatches a month, rivals in the segment see up to 250-300 dispatches at best. Skoda manages to move around 150-200 units of the Octavia a month and this modest demand has delayed the launch of the performance spec vRS that was launched with the previous avatars of the Octavia.

While the want for a performance version of the Octavia is prevalent, the actual number of people who will go through with the final purchase is relatively small. The price of the vRS, if brought to India, is likely to range between Rs. 26-28 Lakh. This would put it very close to D2 segment Skoda Superb, not to mention the fact that premium sedans are largely sought after for their diesel engines. These factors seem to have demotivated Skoda from going through with the process homologating the new engine and launching the Octavia vRS.

The new Skoda Octavia vRS made its worldwide debut at the 2013 Goodwood Festival of Speed. The performance saloon is offered with a 2.0-litre TSI petrol engine that makes 217 BHP @ 4,500-6,200 rpm and 350 Nm of torque 1,500-4,400 rpm. The car does the 0-100 km/h run in around 7 seconds and hits a top speed of 248 km/h. Transmission options include a 6-speed manual or a 6-speed DSG automatic gearbox that transmit power to the front wheels. The Octavia currently sold in India is offered with 1.4 and 1.8-litre TSI petrols, along with a 2.0-litre TDI diesel engine.

Source: Autocar

Skoda Octavia vRS India launch delayed-oct_vrs_h_gallery6_201502221117.jpg

Skoda Octavia vRS India launch delayed-oct_vrs_h_gallery7_201502221117.jpg

Alloys look great, car looks nice, but both together does not look good!

I see many new Corolla in Bangalore, looks like reliability really matters.

The ONLY reason for low sales of Skoda Octavia is Skoda themselves.

Why will a D1 segment car have a constant wait of 3-6 months SINCE launch due to limited availability of kits?

Complaining of low sales, because they produce less is DOWNRIGHT stupid.

I agree that the takers for vRS is low. But, it does increase the aspiration value of the brand.

Once Skoda launch the all new Superb next year & price it well above 30L on-road this will surely be launched.

I think the problem with VRS ,is that it's not fast enough and at it's price is not really VFM either. If they can make it faster by having a 0-100 kmph time of 5.8 secs or even 6 and then offer for slightly lesser price , they can get a lot of BMW and Merc enthusiasts.

The new 3 series can do 6 secs and Skoda's own 1.8 Tsi can do 8 secs. So who would aspire for a 7 sec VRS , definitely not me please:

Skoda well & truly botched up the new Octavia's innings. First, they didn't have enough supplies and the 6-month waiting periods put off a large number of potential customers. The pricing is rather steep too. The Ambition 1.4 TSI (entry variant) costs 19 lakhs on the road, Mumbai :Shockked:. The diesel starts at 21 lakhs, going up all the way to 25 lakhs.

Net result = Flop. It's sold anywhere between a measly 61 units to 170 in recent months (only in Feb did the dispatches climb up to 240).

Still, I think the Octavia vRS has a market among enthusiasts here. If the 1.8 TSI costs 23 lakhs currently, the new vRS would attract petrol-heads even at 27 - 28 lakhs. Numbers would be limited, but that's always the case with performance editions. It'll be a great way for the brand to enhance its image among enthusiasts.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Latheesh (Post 3670010)
I see many new Corolla in Bangalore, looks like reliability really matters.

True. The Corolla sells 10 times the number that Skoda manages with its Octavia.

Quote:

Originally Posted by stanjohn123 (Post 3670030)
I think the problem with VRS ,is that it's not fast enough and at it's price is not really VFM either. If they can make it faster by having a 0-100 kmph time of 5.8 secs or even 6 and then offer for slightly lesser price , they can get a lot of BMW and Merc enthusiasts.

The new 3 series can do 6 secs and Skoda's own 1.8 Tsi can do 8 secs. So who would aspire for a 7 sec VRS , definitely not me please:

Actually, the 320D does a claimed 7.6 or so IIRC, and only the base trim would be priced similarly (at best) post discounts. The faster 328i (now discontinued?) is considerably more expensive, as are the more powerful Audis (A4 3.0TDi).

Yes, I would like it to be faster too, but even then, at its price, it is the only option around for a FUN car with all the bells and whistles. I personally would wait for the discounts to start stupid:

Quote:

Originally Posted by lamborghini (Post 3670199)
Actually, the 320D does a claimed 7.6 or so IIRC, and only the base trim would be priced similarly (at best) post discounts. The faster 328i (now discontinued?) is considerably more expensive, as are the more powerful Audis (A4 3.0TDi).

Yes, I would like it to be faster too, but even then, at its price, it is the only option around for a FUN car with all the bells and whistles. I personally would wait for the discounts to start stupid:

Ah alright , I didn't know that the 328i was discontinued. Yes you're right , all the other car's that are faster are considerably more expensive.

But if Skoda is basing their decision not to bring in the VRS based on the previous model, it is plain stupid. The reason they didn't sell last time was because they gave us the VRS with the 1.8 Tsi engine.

Skoda you want to boost your image and get decent numbers, go all guns blazing and launch the VRS with the 2.0 litre petrol engine which does a 0-100 in 6.8 secs.

Skoda should also not launch it in the 2.0 litre Diesel variant , since that's too slow if you talk performance wise.The 320D and even X1 , Q3 is faster ,so with a couple of lakhs more, enthusiasts get the BMW/Audi badging as well as faster performance.

Skoda should keep in mind that Enthusiasts want real performance that's truly associated with the VRS badging. We don't want no 1.8 Tsi engine nor do we want a 2.0 diesel to keep our fuel costs low. We want a proper performance sedan.

The first Octavia VRS (with the 1.8 Turbo engine) offered 0-100 timing of 7.9 secs and was priced around 16 lacs onroad in Delhi. That was in 2004. 11 years later there is a marginally faster car being hinted at, for a 56% increase in price. Sure the top speed is much more, but where are the roads for that?
If the co. had earned customer loyalty over this time span, there might have been a few die-hard takers. Not now, I think.

The other issue with limited models is that the dealers will not know how to repair it. Dealers were clueless about the Mk1 vRS.

I had to learn and become an expert the hard way!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bomi (Post 3672320)
The first Octavia VRS (with the 1.8 Turbo engine) offered 0-100 timing of 7.9 secs and was priced around 16 lacs onroad in Delhi. That was in 2004. 11 years later there is a marginally faster car being hinted at, for a 56% increase in price. Sure the top speed is much more, but where are the roads for that?
If the co. had earned customer loyalty over this time span, there might have been a few die-hard takers. Not now, I think.

Its a front wheel drive, even though the power has gone up some amount of traction issues will be there in first and second gear. So yes to a 100 the car will be similar, but after a 100 and in gear it will be a whole different story. Its not like the extra horses have disappeared.

Quote:

Originally Posted by akshay1234 (Post 3672367)
Its a front wheel drive, even though the power has gone up some amount of traction issues will be there in first and second gear. So yes to a 100 the car will be similar, but after a 100 and in gear it will be a whole different story. Its not like the extra horses have disappeared.

Yes though you are right , what makes a performance car special is always how soon it can take you to reach the ton. We all want to feel that initial rush , the top end being higher is of not much use as we don't have the roads to constantly hit top gear.

I had a quick check of Skoda Octavia vRs in Dubai. I loved the car build quality of the car, however, the deal breaker is the car doesn't have the power seat and Smart key option.

I will be taking a test drive of the car.

Someone please tell me there is still the remote possibility of the vRS seeing the light of day. I don't mind having to book and wait 4-5 months. In fact that is what Skoda should do: test the waters and actually get proper hardcore bookings and then shoot! please:

Under 28 lakhs, petrol TSi with DSG and I'll take it with arms wide open.

At least make the Zeal Edition a normal choice.. IF we never ever see the vRS might have to slouch shoulders and make do with the 1.8 TSi.

Quote:

Originally Posted by shefiu (Post 3886062)
Someone please tell me there is still the remote possibility of the vRS seeing the light of day. I don't mind having to book and wait 4-5 months. In fact that is what Skoda should do: test the waters and actually get proper hardcore bookings and then shoot! please:

Under 28 lakhs, petrol TSi with DSG and I'll take it with arms wide open.

At least make the Zeal Edition a normal choice.. IF we never ever see the vRS might have to slouch shoulders and make do with the 1.8 TSi.

I doubt it is going to be launched any time soon, rumors would have been all over the place if true, like how the GTI, Mustang, X-Trail have come up prior.