Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 20th August 2006, 12:57   #1
BHPian

Test for Ford India after Surat floods

Due to the heavy flood in surat huge numbers of cars were damaged. My ford fiesta was also half under water and I am lucky than the rest whose cars were fully under water.

Now the real test for Ford India here is to prove that Ford is equally good in service for this kind of situations. Also we will know the cost factor of service as that will give a clear picture of whether to go for Ford or jap cars.

Also we did insurance through Ford Dealers and there lies the next test. How good is the insurance companies which has been choosen by Ford.

Regards

Kash
Old 20th August 2006, 20:36   #2
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
that will give a clear picture of whether to go for Ford or jap cars.
Judgeing by Honda's (the company not the dealer) response after the 26/7 floods in Mumbai, I don't think the picture will be clear about Jap V/s Non-Jap cars.
Old 20th August 2006, 21:02   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit
Judgeing by Honda's (the company not the dealer) response after the 26/7 floods in Mumbai, I don't think the picture will be clear about Jap V/s Non-Jap cars.
Amit, can you elaborate more or provide a few pointers.
Old 20th August 2006, 21:30   #4
BHPian

i guess honda scene in surat is worse as waiting time is 35-40 days. but may be that is due to more car sold vis a vis ford. my friend got a waiting token number 998 last wee. My waiting for ford registered on 11th Aug is 140
Old 20th August 2006, 21:35   #5
Senior - BHPian

You can read the link below for details. In short, Honda was the ONLY company that cancelled warranty after the 26/7 floods. Subsequently, after a protest from owners they decided to honor warranty but it still left a bad taste.

Kashd, expect delays in repairs of the car. I believe the floods in Surat are worse then the 26/7 Mumbai floods. It is a exceptionally difficult situation for all auto makers and dealers and there are bound to be delays with repairs and spares avaliablity. I am sure there are bound to be some dealers who will try and make some extra dough out of this too.

srasania's expereince.

Last edited by amit : 20th August 2006 at 21:52.
Old 20th August 2006, 21:54   #6
BHPian

U r right Amit and that is the reason i have written that this will be a test for Ford India and its service claims. The link is giving me scare as the flood in surat is atleast 10 times that of mumbai. I cant help but depend on Ford India to bail me out in this case. Any idea whether the one year warranty period helps in this case
Old 20th August 2006, 23:17   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit
You can read the link below for details. In short, Honda was the ONLY company that cancelled warranty after the 26/7 floods. Subsequently, after a protest from owners they decided to honor warranty but it still left a bad taste.

srasania's expereince.
Yup..dude..atleast good that you don't have a HONDA which is flooded !!!..
Dealing with Honda Repairs was the WORST experience of my life..and it's a disgrace that Honda Siel India Cars spoilt the name of Honda Motor,Japan by their sad post-flood warranty policies.(eventually I got my Hondas Warranty + Extended Warranty Honoured by Honda India after taking the case with Honda Motor,Japan).
Atleast after flood repairs,a new Honda Dealer came up in town,and I'm pretty happy with their sevice(Arya Honda)..
Anyways,as for your Ford..I don't know how many days it'll take for them to repair..but well,I'm sure your experience won't be as bad as mine..
Keep us updated.
Cheers,
-sr

Last edited by srasania : 20th August 2006 at 23:23.
Old 4th September 2006, 14:09   #8
BHPian

Yes Ford is in better position though I am yet to get my car back. But their approach to customers are much better than faced by friends at Hyundai or Honda. Hyundai is worst of all atleast in surat.
Old 5th September 2006, 12:57   #9
Senior - BHPian

Ford fiesta was designed[at least advertised as] keeping in mind the flood like conditions in India specially after the mumbai floods.

I would really be intersted in knowing how much damage occured to your fiesta[half submerged] in the floods.

Last edited by rahul_intlad : 5th September 2006 at 13:12.
Old 19th September 2006, 16:47   #10
BHPian

Flood water was upto dashboard level. So far no idea about the cost or damage. Also i dont expect I will ever know the actual damage as the dealer will take me for a ride by replacing everything. This is the trend with all dealers here. Don't check just replace and make money...is the moto
Old 25th September 2006, 17:16   #11
BHPian

Yet to get the car back. Infact even after repeated assurance from Ford India, the dealer has not taken it up for repair. Bound to say that Ford also has failed miserably in A.S.S. If we talk about Honda or Hyndai they sell much more car than Ford plus imports most of the parts and hence are in much difficult position. For Ford with lesser sale the job would have been much easier.
Old 25th September 2006, 18:58   #12
BHPian

hi kashd as i had said in ur other post until and unless they get a clearance from the insurance company i think they r not gonna do the job and that applies for all dealers let it be ford,hyundai,maruti etc..
Old 2nd October 2006, 20:54   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogi1771
hi kashd as i had said in ur other post until and unless they get a clearance from the insurance company i think they r not gonna do the job and that applies for all dealers let it be ford,hyundai,maruti etc..
Clearly, this is an insurance issue and shouldn't have anything to do with the manufacturers. Usually, if the car is submerged up to the dashboard, it is gone because there is a lot of electronics these days under the hood. It may be cheaper for the insurance company to pay for a comparable car than to fix.

Even if it is fixed successfuly, one might encounter lots of electrical gremlins later. Overall, it is a scary scenario to get a car submerged in the water.
Old 3rd October 2006, 23:33   #14
BHPian

Yes insurance may be the reason. Today I got a call from Ford dealer and they were waiting with a grin. The bill is around 1.2 Lacs of which insurance is paying 75K. Though ECM is fine and nothing much damage, ford dealer seems to have change lot of parts...no idea whether they have actually changed those or not. They showed me a 3 page list of parts they have replaced. Also after test drive I found the car not upto the mark as far as pick up is concerned and so refused to take delivery. Also I found few scratches on the side which has not been taken care. Any idea on how to take up the grievance with the company or media.

Most Viewed