Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 5th June 2019, 20:19   #496
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The Nissan Kicks Crossover. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 9.55 lakhs

The Flop twins Renault Captur and Nissan Kicks fails miserably in the Indian market.

Sales / Dispatches in 2 digit numbers in May sales figures.

Nissan Kicks : 79
Renault 'Captur': 76

Source: Auto Punditz

Last edited by manson : 5th June 2019 at 21:54. Reason: Typos.
volkman10 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th June 2019, 20:27   #497
Distinguished - BHPian

Sadly Nissan and Renault both lost the plot completely in our market. And this ought to be taught in B schools as to what went wrong with the 2 Global companies. More so since both tasted success with their initial offerings and enjoyed a positive market sentiment.

The sales numbers would only further suffer with the launch of Hector and Kia Seltos in the coming months. I don't think any amount of feature jig jag would save the 2 cars now. What is most amusing is that they never bothered to launch the AT variants in the beginning and the market ensured they didn't get a chance thereafter.
drmohitg is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 6th June 2019, 08:42   #498
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Sales / Dispatches in 2 digit numbers in May sales figures.

Nissan Kicks : 79
Renault 'Captur': 76

Source: Auto Punditz
This is really sad. We all knew that Kicks will never rake-in large numbers but no one expected it to bomb this bad. Nissan (in India) as a brand is just finished and i don't think they will ever be able to stand again, Unless they launch some revolutionary product. IMO they should focus on EVs as they have the expertise and know-how. Products like Leaf and E-Note, if assembled here, can give them the much needed push.

Coming back to Kicks, i think the numbers are some-how regulated by Nissan. If you look at Terrano volumes, they have shipped 166 units in May. Terrano has been doing about 30-40 units since the last few months and this sudden jump shows that Nissan has liquidated some stock (at heavy discounts!). Now, with a very limited, diminishing, and loss making dealer network, it is very difficult to bill both these high price cars as dealers won't have the required funds. They billed a lot of Terrano's in May and the effect can be seen on Kicks numbers. I believe that Kicks will bounce back to 300-400 units in a couple of months (when Terrano stock is over).
tarik.arora is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th June 2019, 10:02   #499
BHPian

Regarding terrano's numbers, it was unofficial that they are discontinuing it and dealers pushed by offereing huge discounts. May be at Nissan, they are left out with some inventory and wanted to finish it off before completely concentrating on kicks. So again their assembly line is prepared for terraro. There are still some takers of terrano in the market. Check this latest delivery of terrano from my dealer.
The Nissan Kicks Crossover. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 9.55 lakhs-screenshot_20190606095152_facebook.jpg.

Regarding kicks, I think the market is watching and understanding the product and brand before accepting as such unlike maruthi or Hyundai. Because Indian are known to be following the heard blindly having so many factors.

Nissan has not stopped marketing the kicks and is serious about it by posing it as official icc car. This segment is regularly doing about 11k units a month and 90% vested only to creta.

Cretas share soon to be taken by kicks, new duster, harrier, seltos, hector. Some will be eaten up or down by lower and higher segment.

I wonder what would be the sale numbers of kicks if it was rebadged with Suzuki's or Hyundai's logo. Who knows, like baleno they may partner with other brand too ?? . Friends from same country may be of great help - Japan = Suzuki Nissan Toyota Honda.

Last edited by jeganatu : 6th June 2019 at 10:08.
Old 6th June 2019, 10:20   #500
Senior - BHPian

Nissan has a 1.5L Diesel and 7 speed DCT combo in UK for Qashqai. They sell very little vehicles here in India. They need to do something different to establish themselves from the crowd. Instead they don't even cater to a big set of customers by offering no proper automatic variants of the cars they sell here.

And for that level of commitment towards the Indian market, I am happy the Indians haven't shown much love for them. The next gen Micra or Note should have been brought to India. They sell decade old products in a country that has seen new vehicles launched here first before the world.

And finally I saw a Kicks last morning. It sounded really bad. I have heard the XUV, Creta etc and for a premium car, it has a very loud engine and not in a nice way.

Last edited by SchumiFan : 6th June 2019 at 10:25.
SchumiFan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th June 2019, 11:55   #501
BHPian

I think I sent Nissan a stinker on this one once, about selling old models in one of the most dynamic and growing car markets globally. The worst thing is because India is a proverbial "third world" market, these brands will more likely reason that India isn't ready or big enough market for their quality products (which I think Renault tried to do with that European Duster too advanced for India farce).

Renault got that message and I read recently that India would now be a lead market for the third gen Duster, which is good but after so many wasted opportunities and so much wasted time.
Abhejit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th June 2019, 15:03   #502
Senior - BHPian

The brand image for Nissan was tarnished already when they were partners with Hover for their dealerships. As they say, first impression is the last impression, I dont think any more new models would help them make a comeback.

They arent present in most of the important segments in India and while Kicks was not as half bad an effort, their already messed up brand image didnt help this SUV much.
Old 8th June 2019, 11:40   #503
Team-BHP Support

https://www.deccanherald.com/city/be...om-738834.html

This made me laugh on two counts

1: The naivety of the dealer to let a customer take away a Kicks for a puja before paying. (It did not add up, a Christian wanting to perform a puja!)

2: The Kicks are so rare, it would be easy to find
ajmat is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 8th June 2019, 11:54   #504
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Haha! Had a good laugh!

Qs.

On what assurance would a dealer give the car without even taking advance, and as per rule they should not have given possession without insurance and registration.

He offered to pay 2 lakhs, but there is no detail of payment made or not.

Nissan kicks is connected car with geo fence, location tracking facility, why wont the dealer use that and trace the car in first place, and why would they delay to go legal after so many months.

Date is on Jan 23 , which was next day of official launch - what an tragedy
jeganatu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th June 2019, 22:24   #505
BHPian

Looks like Nissan is offering ₹50,000 discount on all variants of Kicks. Found this on CarWale. PFA screenshot. Not sure if this is only in Chennai, or throughout India. The Nissan Kicks Crossover. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 9.55 lakhs-img_20190625_222134.png

50k cash discount just after 6 months of launch.
Old 26th June 2019, 06:58   #506
Senior - BHPian

Kicks is a good vehicle in the UAE. The engine lets it down in the Indian version. Power just wasn't available in any gear, proving to be inadequate. It was a frustrating drive throughout. In a massive city like Bangalore, they have just one showroom. I mean, it's Nissan we are talking about here! The global behemoth. Toyota, Honda and Nissan, the three Marquees showed the world how to do it. So sad to see this happening.
Old 26th June 2019, 08:43   #507
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadrasTurbo View Post
Looks like Nissan is offering ₹50,000 discount on all variants of Kicks. Found this on CarWale. PFA screenshot. Not sure if this is only in Chennai, or throughout India. Attachment 1887841

50k cash discount just after 6 months of launch.
I think this was bound to happen. The product has failed miserably and Nissan is sitting on a big inventory. On top of that, the industry in general is going through a very bad phase and marginal players like Nissan are the worst affected. Nissan (+ Datsun) sales are down over 45% y/y in the last 2-3 months. I expect these discounts to increase in the next couple of months. For someone looking to buy a Kicks, i would suggest to hold on and get a better deal in the coming months.
Old 26th June 2019, 17:41   #508
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarik.arora View Post
I think this was bound to happen. The product has failed miserably and Nissan is sitting on a big inventory. On top of that, the industry in general is going through a very bad phase and marginal players like Nissan are the worst affected. Nissan (+ Datsun) sales are down over 45% y/y in the last 2-3 months. I expect these discounts to increase in the next couple of months. For someone looking to buy a Kicks, i would suggest to hold on and get a better deal in the coming months.
Am surprised no fleet operator has picked them up for a song as yet!
Old 26th June 2019, 18:21   #509
BHPian

The car is a looker. I think they have over-priced it at launch.

A friend(sedate driver) of mine did a test drive and said the vehicle felt “heavy”, maybe the owners can comment here?

People are staying away due to expensive maintenance and poor ASC experience of Nissan. Rather than get back the trust with maintenance packages and better ASC experience like what Skoda is doing, they again go about charging “premium”.

I think Renault wants to kill of Nissan brand in India by the looks of it.

Last edited by SideView : 26th June 2019 at 18:22.
Old 26th June 2019, 18:28   #510
BHPian

Nissan Kicks is dead on arrival. Arggh! Hardly been 4 months of launch and nos have shrunk below 100 (79 Wholesale in May'19) largely shows product is not finding the acceptability in the market and dealers are hesitant in picking up the stocks. This is what happens when you remain dormant in the market for long and suddenly expect a decent product to do volumes in the market for you. The recent top management rejig in Nissan India is largely attributed to Kicks failure. With Seltos knocking the doors with some world class offerings and intriguing design, you might find Kicks getting fully decimated.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks