Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 19th July 2019, 13:37   #526
BHPian

Re: The Nissan Kicks Crossover. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 9.55 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadGlide View Post
I spent some time with the Kicks (a few days) and I struggle to see why this car does not sell. It has looks, features, ride, space sorted. It even gives good fuel economy. Yet it is not selling.

This is really unfortunate for Nissan that even their latest attempts are going in vain.
It is the brand name which stops many from buying it!

Is Nissan as 'cheap' to maintain as Maruti? Reliable as Hyundai/Honda? Do they have as many service centers in India or assistance in case of emergencies?

The average car buyer in India decides a 'No' for all these above questions.
At least if Nissan has priced it much lower than the competition, it would have been a low hanging fruit enough juicy to tempt. But they have not done that.

Buyers who have gone beyond the average buyer's thinking have plonked in their money into Kicks, Captur, Terrano etc. Have a chat with them. Not a single one will be unhappy .

The Skoda Yeti belonged to the same catagory.

Last edited by Nalin1 : 19th July 2019 at 13:39.
Nalin1 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 19th July 2019, 14:11   #527
BHPian

Quote:
I spent some time with the Kicks (a few days) and I struggle to see why this car does not sell. It has looks, features, ride, space sorted. It even gives good fuel economy. Yet it is not selling.

This is really unfortunate for Nissan that even their latest attempts are going in vain.

I would say it because no one sees anything for premium they are charging for the “nissan” brand.

Platform => same as duster/captur
Service => hyundai/maruthi are better.
Maintenance => on the higher side (personal experience, maybe this is what they mean by premium )

High time they stop with the “premium” <expletive> and start gaining trust of customers.

Also it is a vicious circle, people could be in doubt if nissan will do a ford and leave, looking at the dismal sales figure and not willing to maybe take a risk? Maybe also thinking, if others are not buying it could have an issue or vehicle is not good.( aka herd mentality)

Mostly it the existing customers who recommend the vehicle to others but I wonder how many existing nissan customers do the same.

Last edited by SideView : 19th July 2019 at 14:15.
Old 19th July 2019, 17:35   #528
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SideView View Post
I would say it because no one sees anything for premium they are charging for the "nissan" brand.

Platform => same as duster/captur
Service => hyundai/maruthi are better.
Maintenance => on the higher side (personal experience, maybe this is what they mean by premium )

High time they stop with the "premium" <expletive> and start gaining trust of customers.

Also it is a vicious circle, people could be in doubt if nissan will do a ford and leave, looking at the dismal sales figure and not willing to maybe take a risk? Maybe also thinking, if others are not buying it could have an issue or vehicle is not good.( aka herd mentality)

Mostly it the existing customers who recommend the vehicle to others but I wonder how many existing nissan customers do the same.

There is nothing premium about the Kicks. Its priced quite well and if you look at the servicing costs of Renault and Nissan in India, they are fairly neutral. Not very expensive to maintain if you ask me. In fact the Kicks is probably better equipped like for like vs the Creta. Also the Kicks is a better attempt than what are Renault did with the Captur. The interiors are far better and the car even has the right SUV stance.

The only reason it does not sell well is due to the Nissan brand which has had almost no traction in the last 4-5 years owing to zero launches.
motorworks is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th July 2019, 19:44   #529
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalin1 View Post

Buyers who have gone beyond the average buyer's thinking have plonked in their money into Kicks, Captur, Terrano etc. Have a chat with them. Not a single one will be unhappy .
Another thing that I forgot to mention in my post. Same as what has been mentioned in another post. 'Herd mentality'.

Why did I buy the Creta? Because my neighbor bought it. Why did my neighbor buy it? His colleague bought it .

If I see many cars on the road, Yes! Must be a good car since I see so many. Better I stay safe and buy the same one.

Oho! I do not see that many Kicks/Captur. Must be something wrong. Why take a risk with such a big investment??
Nalin1 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th July 2019, 20:19   #530
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorworks View Post
There is nothing premium about the Kicks. .
The rates which Nissan is charging is premium:

Duster vs Terrano ( same vehicle , even lesser features)
Captur vs Kicks ( minus the 360 camera)

See for yourself.

https://www.zigwheels.com/compare-ca...renault-captur

Then people wonder why Nissans are selling less.

Even toyota is doing a better job at releasing badge engineered vehicles

Last edited by SideView : 19th July 2019 at 20:43. Reason: Formatting
Old 19th July 2019, 21:02   #531
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalin1 View Post
Another thing that I forgot to mention in my post. Same as what has been mentioned in another post. 'Herd mentality'.

Why did I buy the Creta? Because my neighbor bought it. Why did my neighbor buy it? His colleague bought it .

If I see many cars on the road, Yes! Must be a good car since I see so many. Better I stay safe and buy the same one.

Oho! I do not see that many Kicks/Captur. Must be something wrong. Why take a risk with such a big investment??
The herd mentality is a good bet to reduce your losses from depreciation, the example you gave is probably not the best. The Creta doesn't have a credible rival after all these years, buying one is a good choice, especially over the kicks.

Weird looks and a brand without any real publicity are clear red flags.
We have to give it to Renault Nissan, they created the segment and managed to tank spectacularly when the segment is the only one that is booming.

Buying a kicks now will be the worst thing to do financially, with the Kia option, I can't think of one convincing reason to pick up this half baked product, which the market has rejected, unless a 25% upfront discount is offered to make up for the depreciation disaster it will be.

Last edited by avira_tk : 19th July 2019 at 21:03. Reason: Formatting
avira_tk is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th July 2019, 21:42   #532
BHPian

Quote:

The thing is there is no USP in the product

1.Its not cheap or value for money, neither to buy or maintain

2.Old platform and below average interior quality

3.Average Build Quality

4.No standout feature

5.No Automatics

6.Average Engines

7.It's a Nissan without any Japanese DNA

Creta, Hector, Compass, Seltos, Harrier, SCross, XUV300, has atleast one of the above point going for it.

Also, no one knows such a car exists in India!
Aditya_Bhp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2019, 12:34   #533
BHPian

It is such a shame to be honest. The Kicks's interior felt much much better than the Captur's interior. I think it looks better too ( subjective). I know comparing the figures of the Kicks with Captur is not the way forward because both are doing dismal numbers.

But I secretly wish for a miracle and something like this can sell well in the market. We complain that we do not get latest cars in market but when they do come, we do not buy it.
RoadGlide is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 7th August 2019, 16:09   #534
BANNED

Nissan India launches new base variant Kicks XE, the new variant is about 1.2 lakh cheaper than the previous base variant XL, and it gets almost all the features of XL variant.

With introduction of XE variant and rationalization of variants, all the variants are now cheaper by around 1 lakh.

Source : Autocar India
wheelguy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th August 2019, 18:30   #535
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelguy View Post
Nissan India launches new base variant Kicks XE, the new variant is about 1.2 lakh cheaper than the previous base variant XL, and it gets almost all the features of XL variant.
Good move but too late for it to work now. This should have been the case from launch itself. The top spec pricing was dangerously close to Creta with lesser equipment.

Also, Nissan has not done any changes on the petrol variants. With diesel getting extinct from next year, the focus should have been on petrol variants and Nissan has completely missed that. I would call it lack of vision.
Old 8th August 2019, 01:20   #536
BHPian

Not sure if anyone of you noticed but features of earlier XV Pre (Option) model are now available in XV Pre model at almost the same price. Which means reduction of almost 1 lakh rupees in fully loaded top model. That's really a good move and prices are really competitive considering the features and over all package.
@Mods: Any tentative timeline for official review.
Highh5 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2019, 07:20   #537
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highh5 View Post
Not sure if anyone of you noticed but features of earlier XV Pre (Option) model are now available in XV Pre model at almost the same price. Which means reduction of almost 1 lakh rupees in fully loaded top model. That's really a good move and prices are really competitive considering the features and over all package.
@Mods: Any tentative timeline for official review.
Not just that but the new base XE gets almost all features from XL and is still priced 1.2 lacs lower. Nissan has smartly done a price correction on the Kicks in the name of variant Rejig. Lets see if they are able to communicate this to the market. The product has royally flopped and i dont think any move now will be able to lift the product beyond a point. They might just reach 300-400 units at best.
tarik.arora is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th August 2019, 20:37   #538
BHPian

Price correction is a good move to new customers but given a surprise shock to existing few customers like me. Since this correction has been made so soon after launch of 7 months, how will they answer the current owners, some would have taken delivery just days before too. As of now I am completely satisfied with the car. Tomorrow I am taking my kicks for 10k service. Will meet the Gm of my dealer and discuss about this price correction and find out about their compensation solution on old customers.

Members, what is the existing industry practices in such cases.
throw out some of your views so that it can be helpful to people of the same boat as me.
jeganatu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2019, 20:45   #539
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeganatu View Post
throw out some of your views so that it can be helpful to people of the same boat as me.
Suzuki Inazuma customers had received refunds when Suzuki had to reduce prices. That is the only event of refund that I know of.
But in this case don't think any refunds will be given nor entertained since the price correction is notional.

Last edited by nsbhagwat : 12th August 2019 at 20:47.
Old 12th August 2019, 20:48   #540
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeganatu View Post

This is exactly the reason why they haven’t reduced the price of the same variant but launched a new variant altogether.

So when you approach them, they will say “Saar, no change in price only new variant launched”.

If you are LUCKY maybe you could get a free waxing. But i wouldnt bet on it.

I would say dont bother too much now and break your head over this, enjoy your new SUV. (Btw it looks stunning.)
SideView is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed