Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 13th December 2018, 06:58   #241
Senior - BHPian

The Nissan Kicks Crossover

I think it will all boil down to pricing and the way Nissan and Renault both back the Kicks. They have to realise this by now that both the Captur and the Terrano are dead and out. The Duster is too old and outdated to take the fight to the Creta. And the new Duster is not coming anytime soon.

What they should do is rather simple, position the Duster at par with the Brezza and Ecosport, only the 85ps version, cut down top end variants that do not sell.

And then aggressively price the Kicks for the market to take notice. Nissan needs attention from the market, so they cannot afford to price it high and then later offer correction.

I once again quote the pricing approach by Hyundai for the Creta. The base variants E and E+ are as low as 11-12.5 lakhs on road. Now Nissan must find a way to counter this, by having some basic entry level variants with slightly better kit. Creta is a car that sells from a price band of 11.5 to 18 lakhs on road. And Nissan must counter the lowest end of that price band first. They anyway do not seem to have auto or a 6 airbag variant etc for the Kicks to be priced at insane prices like the Creta SX option variants.

So sensible pricing, aggressive marketing are the key. Current state of Nissan in India is pathetic and their sales numbers in recent months are dismal. Far lower than Skoda or even VW. In fact the Polo which is 8 years old in the country sells as much as all of Nissan and Datsun and that number is not even 1500 cars a month! Shows where Nissan is today.

As a company, you have to take a stand. VW and Skoda have taken the premium positioning, and although their market share is minuscule, they have created a perception in the customer mind about their brand and quality, all problems aside. Nissan has failed to do neither. They should have either taken the side of the Japs or Koreans, with aggressive launches and fuel efficient small cars or a niche space. They have not done neither and are paying for it dearly.

I would not be surprised if Nissan walks away from India if Nissan Kicks flops. Nissan should Remember that they have another one year, and then Kia is going to come in a very aggressive way, and their positioning is somewhere between the Koreans and the Europeans, in terms of positioning and product pricing. And once they come in with such a large dealer network, companies with no USP in India like Nissan would have to be on the edge.

Last edited by motorworks : 13th December 2018 at 07:00.
motorworks is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th December 2018, 10:09   #242
Senior - BHPian

re: The Nissan Kicks Crossover. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 9.55 lakhs

This Nissan is literally not giving the kicks! Honestly, the lack of traction on this thread is not surprising!

The crossover took a long time to get here (more than 3 years) after the news broke first. And that was not even from a concept stage. It was more or less ready, but Nissan was rather tardy here.

And when BHPians themselves are underwhelmed, the larger market will need a lot of effort to take notice.

But all is not lost. The crossover looks the part - now Nissan just needs to price it aggressively and equip it well. Hope the Captur experience is not forgotten.

The larger market is no longer buoyant. And it will affect the weaklings more than the strongest. I would expect Maruti' market-share to increase eventhough the volumes will drop. Unless players like Nissan and all put up a fight. And that starts with the right pricing - playing the long game.

Also, I am not sure how the global distractions (Japan and Ghosn) will affect the relationship of Renault and Nissan here. For all we know, it could play into the hand of Nissan India. Let's wait and watch.
Old 13th December 2018, 15:16   #243
BHPian

Autocar review is out.

Quote:
Should i buy one?
The Kicks does many things right. It is robust and it portrays a sense of toughness, it rides and handles well, the diesel engine has more than enough grunt and the interior is both well-built and generously equipped. Yes, the diesel engine is a bit gruff, there are a few ergonomic issues in the cabin and there’s no automatic option. Still, if Nissan prices it well, it could finally have a strong contender on hand – one that can truly offer a credible alternative to the Creta.
Source.

P.S: I find the way the reviewer pronounces 'Captur' funny.

Last edited by ampere : 14th December 2018 at 00:00. Reason: removed quotes form video link
Mukund is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th December 2018, 19:41   #244
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TusharK View Post
Nissan Kicks production begins

Earlier this year, Nissan unveiled the India-spec Kicks SUV. The carmaker has now announced the start of production after the first vehicle rolled off the production line in Chennai. The Nissan Kicks is slated for launch in January 2019.
Who are these Marketing Geniuses in Nissan who coined the Term "India-Spec Kicks"? Should be thrown out of Nissan immediately for trying to kill a product even before it is launched.

How many have heard the "India-Spec Swift" or "India-Spec Baleno" or "India Spec Hyundai I20". They all play the same game of making it under-specced for Indian market but atleast they keep their Mouth Shut.
anu21v is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th December 2018, 19:56   #245
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anu21v View Post
Who are these Marketing Geniuses in Nissan who coined the Term "India-Spec Kicks"? Should be thrown out of Nissan immediately for trying to kill a product even before it is launched.

How many have heard the "India-Spec Swift" or "India-Spec Baleno" or "India Spec Hyundai I20". They all play the same game of making it under-specced for Indian market but atleast they keep their Mouth Shut.
While I understand where you're coming from, I believe we as informed consumers should be appreciating them for their transparency and not deride them. I also understand your frustration with our market but please do consider that they are learning from the Captur fiasco and at least making an honest attempt. Please also note that, unlike the Swift, Baleno or the i20, kicks is based on an entirely different platform from its international sibling. Everyone does it so it is the correct approach is another discussion for another thread. Peace.

Last edited by Mukund : 13th December 2018 at 20:21. Reason: Adding more relevant information
Mukund is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 13th December 2018, 20:08   #246
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Its not about under-speccing the car. The platform itself is different. They are also giving us a bigger car I guess. So they are telling us that its more SUVish than the international ones !
srishiva is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th December 2018, 20:59   #247
BHPian

After driving Santro Xing for 12 years, now is the time to upgrade and I am clear I don't want a sedan. So, the focus was on Creta and Duster (with inclination towards Creta) but last month came to know about kicks while looking for some reviews on Creta. Have been following up all the content on YouTube and seen literally all the review videos over last 2 days.

I am confused if we should we call it a SUV or a Cross-over?

While from exterior it looks funky and exteriors seem premium but a few things that are making me believe I should go for Creta are:
1. Even after having a longer wheelbase than Creta, it seems (as per review videos), neither the knee room is more than Creta nor the rear seats have better thigh support.
2. The steering wheel has no practical controls. People drive these cars 90% time in cities. And in cities we don't use Cruise mode. So whats the use of giving cruise control buttons on Steering and infotainment control buttons (Volume etc) beneath the steering.

I have read Nissan has not so great after sales service record, so that too is making me feel I should go for Creta. The only thing I am confused about if I should go for Creta SX(O) or SX with AT
Old 13th December 2018, 22:24   #248
Senior - BHPian

I have never stepped into a Creta but I have owned 2 Hyundai's so far. Simply reading the first drive report from autocarindia and looking at the below, I doubt the comparison with Creta is doing any favours to Nissan.
And maybe Creta is not perfect but it has a formidable reputation and sales numbers and Hyundai to back it. Pricing is key but Creta is probably simply aiming way too high. There is already Harrier to contend with. And of course like pointed out a zillion times now, no AT.
Quote:
The dummy buttons on the steering wheel, however, are quite an eye sore.

some carryover bits from its siblings have been included, ergonomic flaws intact – stuff like an elbow rest that sometimes fouls your elbow when you change gear, a narrow but deep glovebox and the seats that are placed a bit too high. In addition, there aren’t any cupholders in the central console, there’s no elbow box and, in this era of smartphones, there’s just one USB slot.
Quote:
While there’s plenty of seat adjustment, the steering only adjusts for rake, and not reach. Also missing, is a dead pedal, and space in the footwell is compromised due to the protruding centre console.

Last edited by Nilesh5417 : 13th December 2018 at 22:27.
Old 14th December 2018, 10:29   #249
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mukund View Post
While I understand where you're coming from, I believe we as informed consumers should be appreciating them for their transparency and not deride them. I also understand your frustration with our market but please do consider that they are learning from the Captur fiasco and at least making an honest attempt.

What i believe is that its over-information from a corporate perspective. Only that information should come out in market which helps customer making a good decision. If the market leader, and second one doesnt release the Platform specific information, there shouldn't be a reason why Marketing folks from Nissan Should do the same. How many of we know that platform names of India-i20 and Europe-i20. Customer Wouldn't care of the corporate being Honest or Non-Honest, She will only see end product Value-proposition and pricing. Give only those parameter which can help customer compare the other products in market place, "Consumer Behaviour" 1-0-1.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mukund View Post
Please also note that, unlike the Swift, Baleno or the i20, kicks is based on an entirely different platform from its international sibling. Everyone does it so it is the correct approach is another discussion for another thread. Peace. kicks is based on an entirely different platform from its international sibling. Everyone does it so it is the correct approach is another discussion for another thread. Peace.
Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
Its not about under-speccing the car. The platform itself is different. They are also giving us a bigger car I guess. So they are telling us that its more SUVish than the international ones !
First of All, those who understand what platform is, it is only a set of parameters that the cars are suppose to provide (example Floor-Bending parameter) and not really a fixed structure. Also platforms planners will tell you that each of the Global platforms have below 3 speccing standards, (depends on company as well)

(1) Spec-A for Developed markets (West Europe, North America, Aus, Japan, Korea)
(2) Spec-B for Emerging Market (Russia/Brazil/China etc)
(3) Spec-C for India/Africa Markets. (shocking but true, Thanks in large measures to Maruti-Suzuki's cost cutting measures for Indian customers)

Each of the platforms spec-down take out essentials like Crash Norms,Engine Cradle sizes, Electricals, Steel Thickness and So-on. Also cars are Monocoque structure and its not like a Kewl-chassis structure where you can put any kewl to any cars. One can't just fit-in Kick Design Kewl to a CMF-A Chassis. Totally wrong notion.

At best what Nissan would have done is take out the India specific Spec parameters (which they call CMF-A) and used it on chassis of Global Kicks which is correct way and is at-par with Suzuki/Hyundai/Honda for Indian market.

So in essence, if Nissan has not differed with market benchmark of product specs and still Marketing communication of Nissan has spelt-out/Not-stopped-the-rumours of lower platform, who do you think should be berated? its a marketing communication failure in my eyes.

By the way, if someone is really interested in Global Specced Vehicles, they should be buying Europeans/US Car makers like VW / GM (now defunct in india) who never cut down specs for India. Even Ford has brought down specs for India in their last Figo iteration.
anu21v is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th December 2018, 17:50   #250
Senior - BHPian

Nissan Kicks bookings open

Nissan has started accepting bookings for the Kicks SUV in India. Customers can place their orders by paying an amount of Rs. 25,000.

The Nissan Kicks Crossover. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 9.55 lakhs-kicks1.jpeg

In India, the Nissan Kicks will be available with a dual-tone exterior. It will feature a V-motion chrome grille flanked by LED projector headlamps. It will come with LED signature lamps and a dual-tone front bumper. At the rear, the Kicks will feature boomerang-shaped tail lamps and a dual-tone bumper with an integrated skid plate. The SUV will ride on 17-inch machined alloy wheels.

The Kicks will get a dual-tone interior with an 8-inch floating touchscreen infotainment system that has Apple CarPlay and Android Auto connectivity. The car will also come with automatic climate control, automatic headlamps, rain sensing wipers and a 360-degree camera.

The Nissan Kicks will be offered with two engine options - a 1.5-litre, 4-cylinder petrol that makes 105 BHP and 142 Nm of torque and is paired with 5-speed manual transmission and a 1.5-litre, 4-cylinder diesel engine that produces 108 BHP and 240 Nm of torque. It comes mated to a 6-speed manual gearbox.

Other features that will be offered in the Kicks include cornering fog lamps, cruise control, ABS with EBD and Brake Assist, Hill Start Assist, Intelligent Trace Control and ECO Mode.

Link to Team-BHP News
TusharK is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 14th December 2018, 18:40   #251
AYP
Senior - BHPian

I don't know if it's only me but I really detest the looks of the car. The front reminds me of a Datsun, more specifically the Redi-Go. The rear and the side profile along with the alloys remind me of the Etios Cross. If it was not for the presence of 4 airbags and the presence of Android Auto and Carplay, I would opt for the Captur over this. I don't really care much about the leather stitched dashboard or the slightly bigger touchscreen. I for one find the Captur very good looking and it looks like a proper crossover to me whereas this looks more like a hatchback on stilts. I also prefer the lighter interior shade of the Captur especially the Platine edition.

Looking at the Captur's monthly sales, I don't see this one doing any better.
Old 14th December 2018, 21:44   #252
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

The Indian Spec Kicks is bigger in every dimension and has better interior space than it's international kin, therefore Nissan has gone to town to emphasize that point. The International Kicks is based on the Micra platform whereas the Indian Kicks is based on the more robust new Duster platform therefore the emphasis.

Last edited by Durango Dude : 14th December 2018 at 21:46.
Durango Dude is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th December 2018, 22:49   #253
BANNED

Powerdrift review is out.

pavi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th December 2018, 22:59   #254
BHPian

Gosh hardly any headroom for the driver. I am 6 feet tall and feel roof will scrap my head constantly.

Last edited by Akshay1234 : 29th December 2018 at 11:32. Reason: Please don't type with .... dots
Old 15th December 2018, 00:05   #255
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durango Dude View Post
The Indian Spec Kicks is bigger in every dimension and has better interior space than it's international kin, therefore Nissan has gone to town to emphasize that point. The International Kicks is based on the Micra platform whereas the Indian Kicks is based on the more robust new Duster platform therefore the emphasis.
Which really is a stupid thing to do as indian consumer perceives india specs as inferior (and it is inferior normally) to Global specs. As someone said correctly, perception is bigger than reality.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks