Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 21st August 2006, 14:52   #1
Senior - BHPian

Ford Ikon TDCi

The Ford Ikon 1.3 Flair retails for about 4.69L now. And now that the Fiesta TDCi is sucessful , why doesnt Ford come up with a Ikon TDCi ? They already have the car and engine , the small problem is of mating them - that can be done. Major resurgery wont be required I think (correct me).

Price it about 4.99 L and I think Ford has a winner in the segment and a serious threat to the Indigo. What say ?

Your views?
Old 21st August 2006, 15:08   #2
BHPian

I guess, Ikon-era is over. Ikon Flair too is counting its days. Now Ford will focus on Fiesta. Launch of stripped Fiesta 1.4 TDCi EXi indicates this only.
Old 21st August 2006, 15:30   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy
And now that the Fiesta TDCi is sucessful , why doesnt Ford come up with a Ikon TDCi ? They already have the car and engine , the small problem is of mating them - that can be done. Major resurgery wont be required I think....and a serious threat to the Indigo.
Only Tata can survive such a mix'n'match strategy..

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeis
I guess, Ikon-era is over. Ikon Flair too is counting its days. Now Ford will focus on Fiesta. Launch of stripped Fiesta 1.4 TDCi EXi indicates this only.
I tend to agree. Ford is already made the climb-down by launching the stripped down Fiesta TDCi EXi to stretch numbers. The Ikon's 'flair'ed days are over and the car is now firmly on its way out.
Old 21st August 2006, 16:13   #4
BHPian

The TDCi engine is completely imported now. The 1.3 retails at this price due to high localization. The 4.99L price would be unthinkable unless there is more than 70% localization for the TDCi engine.

Last edited by pradkumar : 21st August 2006 at 16:20.
Old 21st August 2006, 16:32   #5
BHPian

even i agrees with yeis.
Ikon-era is over and Fiesta is here.
I thinks Ikon will be soon phased out.
although a gud car to drive, its too old now!
Old 21st August 2006, 19:02   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy
Price it about 4.99 L and I think Ford has a winner in the segment and a serious threat to the Indigo. What say ?

Your views?
Forget that it will be end to Fiesta too. People will pass comfort of Fiesta if they are getting same engine in Flair
And if they detune the engine then that thing won't even move. The current Fiesta diesels engine is under powered in first place.
Old 21st August 2006, 19:26   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adya33
Forget that it will be end to Fiesta too. People will pass comfort of Fiesta if they are getting same engine in Flair
And if they detune the engine then that thing won't even move. The current Fiesta diesels engine is under powered in first place.
Yes, the reason behind discontinuation of other Ikons was Fiesta's promotion only. By no means Ford will take any such step. Ikon's promotion will end Fiesta itself.
Old 21st August 2006, 19:58   #8

I heard on NDTV CNB show that HM is planning to make TDCi engines for Ford. Hopefully the prices will come down.
Old 21st August 2006, 21:38   #9
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Ikon diesel already has a very bad name in the market... they'll have to rework on the image a hell lot. Not worth for an almost discontinued car.
Old 21st August 2006, 21:48   #10
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
What say ?
Two things:

Quote:
Price it about 4.99 L and I think Ford has a winner in the segment and a serious threat to the Indigo.
1. How can the premium over the Ford Flair 1.3 be only 30,000 when the difference between the Fiesta 1.4 and Fiesta TDCi is over a lac?

2. The Ikon has a great backseat. If Ford offers that engine on teh Ikon, it has basically killed the Fiesta diesel.
Old 22nd August 2006, 01:27   #11

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

the josh machine days were over the day ford discontinued the 1.6.
putting the tdci in the ikon will require complete reworking of the suspension,transmission etc.plus the price of the car will touch close to 5.5l.it will just kill the fiesta tdci.it makes more sense that ford plonks the tdci engine in the fusion(revamped).it will meet the duty cuts when it is shortened to 4m,engine capacity of the tdci is 1.4ltr,this way they might be able to price the car close to 5.5l.it wont pose a threat to fiesta as its in a different segment altogether.
Old 22nd August 2006, 02:30   #12
BHPian

They should give 1.4TDci engine to a ikon & introduce 1.6Tdci to a fiesta, Ikon is far more comfortable & spacious than fiesta & will give a new life to ikon, if they priced it right it will sell in large numbers, but they should upgrade the brakes as well.but ford india will never do this kind of stuff also if they give same 1.6TDCi engine to a Fusion,,, i will definately buy one.!
Old 22nd August 2006, 07:37   #13
BHPian

I guess the Ford MD mentioned that a CNG version of the Flair would be offered soon. Even that may be a bad strategy for Ford, as it may take away some Fiesta TDCi EXi buyers.
Old 22nd August 2006, 08:27   #14
Senior - BHPian

I agree that (1) Ikon has lived out its lifetime and (2) a TDCi Ikon will cannibalise Fiesta sales.

It might be a much better idea to plonk the Fiesta diesel into the FUsion - that way it WONT compete with the Fiesta, will give Ford the excise advantages from using a 1.4 litre diesel (if they can reduce a few inches of length) and give them a premium diesel hatch before Maruti can launch the diesel Swift and Hyundai the diesel Getz.

Ford being Ford, however, it will probably take them a couple of years to do this. They are NOT a fast-moving organization.
Old 22nd August 2006, 10:03   #15
BHPian

i agree with Steeroid completely.......if Ford had launched Fusion Tdci & Fiesta Tdci together, we would have certainly gone for the Fusion instead of Fiesta........Fusion is a very good car.....even though it is a hatchback, it has plenty of space, yet narrow enough for comfortable city driving......a great view from drivers' point of view and a real boot unlike Swift's "dikki", which is its only drawback.........and now with the new interiors (same as Fiestas') with dual colours, it has become more attractive! .......combined with the excise cut, it could be priced between 5.5L & 6L and Ford would have a winner in their hands......but as Steeroid pointed out, Ford being Ford, i think, they will NOT launch the Fusion Tdci before Swift MJet & Getz Crdi not to mention the 1.6 Tdci which they should have launched initially itself......lets hope they will bring Fiesta 1.6 Tdci, Fusion 1.4 Tdci & Fusion 1.6 Tdci ASAP.......ikon??? start counting the days

Most Viewed