Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 2nd April 2015, 07:41   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Scoop: 2015 Ford EcoSport facelift spotted testing in India

Spotted the recently UK launched ecosport being tested near coimbatore. As mentioned in the UK spec sheet, it had this "privacy glass". The rear windshield and passenger windows were tinted (pretty dark tints). Also, it had the UK spec alloys.

Managed to take couple of pictures:

Scoop: 2015 Ford EcoSport facelift spotted testing in India-ecosport1.jpg

Scoop: 2015 Ford EcoSport facelift spotted testing in India-ecosport2.jpg

Last edited by Aditya : 6th April 2015 at 10:42. Reason: Watermarking images
naveen.raju is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2015, 13:55   #2
BHPian

Re: Ford EcoSport : Official Review

I think there is enough market opportunity to sell both the UK version as well as the current one (EcoSport Classic ??). People can simply choose what they want. It will broaden the appeal of the vehicle. The revised suspension settings should be implemented across the board though.

Any idea what happens to the spare? Did they redesign the rear part of the floorboard to fit the spare? Or maybe a harness like we find in the Ertiga?
Old 2nd April 2015, 15:20   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

I very much approve of not having the spare on the back.

I noticed the competition from Fiat, in a car park, last weekend. I thinking, "very nice," until I caught sight of the back, wit this huge hinged tyre carrier. Not good. Just a few cars away was an Ecosport, looking very subtle by comparison.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2015, 18:42   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
Spotted the recently UK launched ecosport being tested near coimbatore. As mentioned in the UK spec sheet, it had this "privacy glass". The rear windshield and passenger windows were tinted (pretty dark tints). Also, it had the UK spec alloys.

Attachment 1356323

Attachment 1356324
to each their own, I prefer the wheel on the back
Old 2nd April 2015, 20:30   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I noticed the competition from Fiat, in a car park, last weekend. I thinking, "very nice," until I caught sight of the back, wit this huge hinged tyre carrier. Not good. Just a few cars away was an Ecosport, looking very subtle by comparison.
Had the Ecosport been launched without a rear mounted spare wheel, the Aventura would not have carried this contraption of structural work.

Last edited by rajeev k : 2nd April 2015 at 20:34.
rajeev k is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2015, 07:13   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterjim13 View Post
Does this improve the handling of the car ?
Without the rear wheel, it does look like a normal hatch from far. They might have done regarding the handling since the UK market didnt like the handling and the rear wheel.
naveen.raju is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2015, 08:36   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So they are serios, but without the rear mounted spare, it looks like a tall hatchback. I never liked the looks from the rear even with the sparewheel, now this looks a lot more uglier to me.

It should. The spare wheel+tyre would weight around 15-16Kgs minimum and having this weight moved to a lower position on the vehicle would improve the handling. But this difference will only be appreciated by a few and the majority wouldn't notice it as their driving/roads don't demand it.
Sankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2015, 09:16   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
......but without the rear mounted spare, it looks like a tall hatchback. I never liked the looks from the rear even with the sparewheel, now this looks a lot more uglier to me.
Quote:
Without the rear wheel, it does look like a normal hatch from far. They might have done regarding the handling since the UK market didnt like the handling and the rear wheel.
Yes. Along with the spare wheel relocation, modifications were incorporated to improve handling. This is mentioned in the Autocar UK review of the 2015 Ecosport. Link

Quote:
Sharper handling, more refined and better-looking. Still a bit rough around the edges, mind, but now good enough to be a class contender ..... The Ecosport’s handling is now a reasonably good reason for buying one, and the rest of the package is a lot more respectable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajiv0909 View Post
I have had situation where the car wouldn't crank up after a few seconds of halt. It would go back to its normal self in after a few tries/10-15 minutes of delay
I know asking this is silly; but still. Is the re-cranking preventer playing spoilsport here?

Last edited by rajeev k : 3rd April 2015 at 09:22.
rajeev k is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th April 2015, 16:38   #9
BHPian

Quote:

Attachment 1356323

Attachment 1356324
I personally like the spare wheel at the back on the Ecosport, looks out of place in Aventure though. Maybe its the design as whole which appeals with the spare when at the back.

Also had my 30k kms service yesterday. Total was Rs.4,446 excluding wheel alignment and balancing. Had few niggles like vibration on steering wheels from braking at high speeds. A few rattles also but didn't complaint about them as i knew they wouldn't be able to solve it. Already tried twice before with no luck.

Last edited by sidenzo : 4th April 2015 at 16:39.
Old 4th April 2015, 17:25   #10
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Spotted the recently UK launched ecosport being tested near coimbatore.

Was hoping the facelift wont make it to our market. That spare wheel (or rather the absence of it) takes a lot away from the Ecosport.

But why is it being tested without any camouflage?
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th April 2015, 17:28   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
But why is it being tested without any camouflage?
They have already launched this in the UK. So that's why they didnt use any camouflage. Also no other changes to the exterior other than the absence of spare wheel and the tinted windows at the rear.
Old 5th April 2015, 11:44   #12
BHPian

I would happily opt for a tail gate replacement program if Ford offers it. I never disliked the wheel at the back, but I think it should rightly be put inside where it belongs - the spare wheel well.

I do not care what the Ecosport looks like, hatch or SUV, but even without the wheel at the back, it remains what it is - its core competencies are still intact.

Ford should bring this one to the market soon. People who buy it for that "SUV look" has a problem they have to deal with - not Ford.
blacksport is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th April 2015, 15:54   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacksport View Post
I would happily opt for a tail gate replacement program if Ford offers it. I never disliked the wheel at the back, but I think it should rightly be put inside where it belongs - the spare wheel well.

I do not care what the Ecosport looks like, hatch or SUV, but even without the wheel at the back, it remains what it is - its core competencies are still intact.
I couldn't agree with you more.
I wonder though whether having a spare wheel well in the boot would reduce its ground clearance. This might not matter in the least in the western markets but one of the USPs in countries like ours is the high gc.
Old 5th April 2015, 15:59   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I wonder though whether having a spare wheel well in the boot would reduce its ground clearance.
I guess that depends how they did it: ground clearance or luggage space surely has to suffer.
Old 5th April 2015, 17:19   #15
Team-BHP Support

Ford EcoSport : Official Review

Quote:
Its core competencies are still intact.
And SUV'ish looks were one of its primary competencies? This redesign takes a lot away from it. Looks are subjective for sure, but I guess some people would agree here.

Quote:
People who buy it for that "SUV look" has a problem they have to deal with - not Ford.
People will have choices soon- with YBA, S-Cross, S101 and ix25, ruining the monopoly Ecosport had over the market. Some of the above might be priced above the Ecosport - but I think Ford also has a potential problem to deal with, not just the customers.

I'm curious though- what are the main advantages of the upcoming Ecosport compared to the existing one? I couldn't figure out many, except for a colour screen and better promised NVH. Better ride and handling is promised for Europe with 10mm less GC. But would it come to India? So in net effect- it would partially lose two of its biggest USPs- 1. SUV'ish looks and 2. GC. While gaining what?

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 5th April 2015 at 17:21.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks