Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 6th April 2015, 11:33   #16
BHPian

Re: Ford EcoSport : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
And SUV'ish looks were one of its primary competencies? This redesign takes a lot away from it. Looks are subjective for sure, but I guess some people would agree here.

People will have choices soon- with YBA, S-Cross, S101 and ix25, ruining the monopoly Ecosport had over the market. Some of the above might be priced above the Ecosport - but I think Ford also has a potential problem to deal with, not just the customers.

I'm curious though- what are the main advantages of the upcoming Ecosport compared to the existing one? I couldn't figure out many, except for a colour screen and better promised NVH. Better ride and handling is promised for Europe with 10mm less GC. But would it come to India? So in net effect- it would partially lose two of its biggest USPs- 1. SUV'ish looks and 2. GC. While gaining what?
I wouldn't count "looks" as a competency. Or if maybe e are stuck at the definition of "competency", we can use the word "capability". An Ecosport without a wheel stuck to the rear is as capable as one with it.

And a wheel well boot area is not going to affect its capability to tackle bad roads or road bumps. What matters more is the GC in the belly area.

If SUVish look is what makes the Ecosport sell, then it is the buyers who are getting fooled. And I wouldn't want Ford, or that matter any manufacturer, to make money fooling people.
Old 6th April 2015, 11:36   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
It should. The spare wheel+tyre would weight around 15-16Kgs minimum and having this weight moved to a lower position on the vehicle would improve the handling. But this difference will only be appreciated by a few and the majority wouldn't notice it as their driving/roads don't demand it.
Well said Sankar, it varies from people to people a place to place.

We have a majority who only look at the Mileage of the car.

Quote:
And SUV'ish looks were one of its primary competencies? This redesign takes a lot away from it. Looks are subjective for sure, but I guess some people would agree here.
Agree with you totally. For me looks are pretty much important for me. Ecosport is not a complicated looking car but when parked next to you a hatchback we can easily makeout its almost the same in dimensions except for the taller stance. The bonnet is taller than an Innova and almost on par with my XUV5OO. Take the spare wheel out, it might disclose the ugliest bit. The rear munted spare wheel makes it standout from the crowd.

And this is all my personal opinion. And again it varies from people to people.

Mod Note: Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD!

To know how to multi-quote, click here.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 6th April 2015 at 17:40.
Old 6th April 2015, 13:03   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

I think that looks matter to all of us when buying a car. They matter on two counts: the aesthetics of the car design itself, and then the image that we want to project.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacksport View Post
I wouldn't count "looks" as a competency. Or if maybe e are stuck at the definition of "competency", we can use the word "capability". An Ecosport without a wheel stuck to the rear is as capable as one with it.

... ... ...
Apart from those who have an actual need to carry larger number of people/luggage, SUVs are all about look and image, aren't they? Why else would somebody buy a car that is much larger than their needs?

In that respect, Fiat have probably got it right, and Ford may gave got it wrong. To my mind, the rather considerable added length of Fiat's spare wheel is just stupid and ugly, but I am not a typical SUV driver: the ecosport appeals to me because it combines some of the practical features of an SUV with being relatively small.

There are two potential classes of car buyer that I have always felt are insufficiently catered for. They are those who want luxury in a small package and those who want toughness in a small car.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th April 2015, 17:33   #19
Team-BHP Support

Re: Scoop: 2015 Ford EcoSport facelift spotted testing in India

Isn't the Ecosport's ground clearance listed as 200mm? I'm thinking lowering the car by about 15-20 mm (reworked suspension) would help greatly in balancing out the stance, and still give it a healthy 180-odd mm GC.

I prefer the hatch without the spare, even the Avventura would look much better without that hideous contraption at the back.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 6th April 2015 at 17:34.
Old 6th April 2015, 17:51   #20
BHPian

Quote:
An Ecosport without a wheel stuck to the rear is as capable as one with it.
Agree to the fact that location of the Spare Wheel does not affect the capability of Ecosport, or as some of the bhpians mentioned it will improve its capability.

Quote:
If SUVish look is what makes the Ecosport sell, then it is the buyers who are getting fooled. And I wouldn't want Ford, or that matter any manufacturer, to make money fooling people.
SUVsh looks is what makes it a Mini SUV as for me it does not have the characters of an SUV except for the Looks, Ground Clearance & Spare Wheel. Simply compare it with the Duster, it has SUVsh looks, Ground Clearance + a lot of ruggedness, and a far better suspension for an SUV. Ecosport is merely a taller hatchback with a sparewheel. So rather than making an ugly tall hatchback Ford gave it an SUV look to play with the buyers.

Park it next to a VW Polo or I20 which may be equal in length and width but just for the taller stance and the spare wheel, you are just moved to the next category called SUV's, were you stand next to a Duster. (Purely the sales angle from my own opinion)
Old 6th April 2015, 21:17   #21
Senior - BHPian

Now the i20 Active is a serious competition to Ecosport. Ford is doing their part to make i20 look like an SUV!
Old 6th April 2015, 22:28   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So in net effect- it would partially lose two of its biggest USPs- 1. SUV'ish looks and 2. GC. While gaining what?
Ford has eliminated a major snag with the relocation. The boot door rattling!
rajeev k is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th April 2015, 08:32   #23
Team-BHP Support

Re:

Quote:
What matters more is the GC in the belly area.
So you mean to say that people pay through their nose mainly for the GC? And Ford is planning to drop just that.

I was just going through the prices of some competition and I feel Ecosport is just too overpriced if 'looks' are not a factor. The main advantage over an Elite i20 is the GC, but you almost pay a premium of 2 lakhs for that! And another lakh or two can get you the 7 seater XUV 5OO which has decent equipment like ABS and airbags included. The Renault is much more capable as well, but priced around the Ecosport for the 90ps.

Hyundai Elite i20 Asta CRDI - 7.99
Duster RXL 90ps - 9.63

Ford Ecosport D Titanium - 9.6
Ford Ecosport D Titanium(o) - 10.2

Mahindra XUV 5OO W4 - 11.2
Duster Rxl 110ps AWD - 12.39

Lets see. But i still feel this 'facelift' will backfire for Ford in the Indian market.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
Isn't the Ecosport's ground clearance listed as 200mm? I'm thinking lowering the car by about 15-20 mm (reworked suspension) would help greatly in balancing out the stance, and still give it a healthy 180-odd mm GC.

I prefer the hatch without the spare, even the Avventura would look much better without that hideous contraption at the back.
Reducing 20 mm from the height would give a height of 1688mm.

Now that would be lesser than even a WagonR (1700mm). Not sure if that would go down well with the market.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
Thanks. Didnt know of this.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 7th April 2015 at 08:42.
Old 7th April 2015, 09:21   #24
Senior - BHPian

Re:

Quote:
Lets see. But i still feel this 'facelift' will backfire for Ford in the Indian market.
Another option for the pseudo SUVs, is to lift the spare wheel onto the bonnet.
Attached Thumbnails
Scoop: 2015 Ford EcoSport facelift spotted testing in India-tyre-bonnet.jpg  

rajeev k is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th April 2015, 10:05   #25
BHPian

Re:

Quote:
So you mean to say that people pay through their nose mainly for the GC? And Ford is planning to drop just that.

I was just going through the prices of some competition and I feel Ecosport is just too overpriced if 'looks' are not a factor. The main advantage over an Elite i20 is the GC, but you almost pay a premium of 2 lakhs for that! And another lakh or two can get you the 7 seater XUV 5OO which has decent equipment like ABS and airbags included. The Renault is much more capable as well, but priced around the Ecosport for the 90ps.

Hyundai Elite i20 Asta CRDI - 7.99
Duster RXL 90ps - 9.63

Ford Ecosport D Titanium - 9.6
Ford Ecosport D Titanium(o) - 10.2

Mahindra XUV 5OO W4 - 11.2
Duster Rxl 110ps AWD - 12.39

Reducing 20 mm from the height would give a height of 1688mm.

Now that would be lesser than even a WagonR (1700mm). Not sure if that would go down well with the market.

Thanks. Didnt know of this.
Didn't know that Ford is dropping the GC. I though that it was the spare wheel in the well that was reducing the GC. Having said that, almost all cars sold here in India have GCs higher than their international versions. So I'd think that Ford will keep the current GC for India.

About comparisons with Duster, i20, XUV500 and Wagon R, if you look closely all of them including the Ecosport are just big boxes with 4 wheels. But there are subtle differences between them that make them what they are. So while one can easily replace the others, somebody would still go for one they really want.

Will Ford lose sales if the move the spare? Probably. But then, probably not. Ford is just manufacturing 4K every month. I am thinking that they may find enough 4K non-image-conscious Ecosport buyers.
Old 7th April 2015, 12:01   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

I just hope Ford is not reversing the trend here - trying to launch a lowered hatch from a X-over while the other are launching 'lifted' x-over or cross variant!

Any confirmation that this will replace the ES and not co-exist?
Old 7th April 2015, 12:16   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
Are you sure on this. Boot door rattling due to the rear mounted spare wheel. ?

I havent felt so, I still have the spare in the same location and never felt that rattling there.
I think it is fixed quite well there.

Overall, I hope Ford keeps the Sparewheel there on the rear in India at least.
Old 7th April 2015, 15:10   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I hope Ford keeps the Sparewheel there on the rear in India at least.
How hard would it be to do this as a mod, for anyone who is really keen?

I don't suppose the bracket would be too hard to make, along with some interior reinforcement so that it does not just buckle and bend the door panel.

The real jungle/mountain ecosport offroaders could then carry two spare wheels and the city SUV wanna-look-alikes can have their SUV look.

Choice is the best way
Old 7th April 2015, 15:39   #29
Team-BHP Support

Re:

Quote:

Reducing 20 mm from the height would give a height of 1688mm....
Not height, I meant (and said) ground clearance reduction through a revised suspension setup.
Old 11th April 2015, 17:07   #30
Senior - BHPian

The photos clicked by Naveen has appeared in the Indian Autos Blog site. The photos carry the source -team Bhp watermarks, inserted by them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
Spotted the recently UK launched ecosport being tested near coimbatore.
Managed to take couple of pictures:
Attachment 1357506
Attachment 1357507

Last edited by rajeev k : 11th April 2015 at 17:20.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks