Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 7th April 2015, 21:18   #16
BHPian

re: National Green Tribunal says, 10 year old Diesel Vehicles banned in Delhi

Sample some of the "bans" by NGT in just the past few weeks:

http://www.hindustantimes.com/newdel...1-1334769.aspx [on diesel vehicles]

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...w/46840533.cms [on construction in Gurgaon & Noida]

http://post.jagran.com/ngt-extends-s...and-1428314713 [on construction in Rajaji National park]

http://www.financialexpress.com/arti...streets/59679/ [directive to AAP to clean up garbage]

http://articles.economictimes.indiat...nment-ministry [on rafting in Uttarakhand]

http://indianexpress.com/article/cit...air-pollution/ [directive on air pollution in delhi]

NGT seems to be just a publicity hungry body, going from one ban to another without any sort of mechanism to see if any of the bans are actually implemented. There has also been NGT bans on parking on roads in Delhi!

Check this status report on an earlier ban on vehicles more than 15 years old. Only a few thousand cars affected, according to Delhi govt officials. Pathetic!
http://www.hindustantimes.com/newdel...1-1334263.aspx

Last edited by naru : 7th April 2015 at 21:24.
naru is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th April 2015, 21:20   #17
Senior - BHPian

Who is NGT? In this country everyone passes any order. Shouldn't the govt solicit advice but still take decisions? That way you can kick them out in the next election?
Old 7th April 2015, 21:34   #18
BHPian

What? 10 years old is too less. I don't think modern day CRDI diesel engines are that polluting. Are people in our country still stuck on classic Padminis and Ambassadors? It was understandable if this law was imposed only on commercial vehicles but such law on private vehicles, not done.
Old 7th April 2015, 21:36   #19
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
Who is NGT? In this country everyone passes any order. Shouldn't the govt solicit advice but still take decisions? That way you can kick them out in the next election?
The National Green Tribunal has been established on 18.10.2010 under the National Green Tribunal Act 2010 for effective and expeditious disposal of cases relating to environmental protection and conservation of forests and other natural resources including enforcement of any legal right relating to environment and giving relief and compensation for damages to persons and property and for matters connected therewith or incidental thereto. It is a specialized body equipped with the necessary expertise to handle environmental disputes involving multi-disciplinary issues.
Source: http://www.greentribunal.gov.in/
ottocycle is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 7th April 2015, 21:39   #20
BHPian

This is certainly not a solution. What we need is Euro 4, or even 5 implemented ASAP.

Age and pollution are certainly not directly related. An old car that is well maintained, will emit much less than a newer one in which is improperly maintained and in which incomplete combustion is taking place.

Most of all, implementing this is next to impossible. How are they planning to monitor the lakhs of vehicles that cross borders into Delhi everyday?
prakhar1998 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th April 2015, 21:42   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Why are these guys so hung up on 'ban'? Instead of banning vehicles and setting up checks on border, why don't they fast-track building of the peripheral road (KMP expressway)? It would help the commercial as well private vehicles to completely bypass Delhi. See this thread - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...delhi-ncr.html. The night time traffic and the resulting pollution would greatly be reduced as these slow moving, smoke belching behemoths will crawl their way around Delhi.
Dry Ice is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th April 2015, 21:52   #22
BHPian

Let me tell you guys something - our city needs drastic measures right now. A lot of these are going to be unpopular, no doubt.

Its important to understand this issue in a wholesome manner.
We have a city that has more pollution that any other in the world - including Beijing & Shanghai, which were notorious for smog filled cities.

How bad is this situation?
300 micrograms per cubic meter - thats the level of PM 2.5 - these are particles that will enter your lungs, and are highly likely to enter the bloodstream. Respiratory illnesses and cancer are expected outcomes.
Now equate that with the sheer number of vehicles on the streets.
Another shocking factor. Most air pollution readings are taken with instruments on top of buildings, or on outskirts of the city - basically areas away from the main city roads.
A study conducted by Joshua Apte, and his partners from Universities of California & Berkley, and IIT Delhi show a much more scary graphic - they use autorickshaws to travel on city roads with air pollution monitors, and have found the average pollutant levels to be eight times higher than what has been reported so far by official studies.
Heres a link to the Source of the info.

What the Govt is doing right now is asking the Green Tribunal for recommendations.
This is one outcome of that.

Another issue they are working on is getting traffic to move in a smoother manner, with minimum stoppage time - idling of engines has been found to be a major contributor to pollution levels.
I have found some experimentation in certain parts of Delhi - one under Lodhi Road flyover (intersection between BRT corridor & Lodhi Road), and another under Moolchand flyover. Red traffic cones have been used to create a temporary round-about, and traffic signals turned off. This seems to ease traffic movement in almost all directions.
I would like to see what users who travel use these routes on rush hours have to say on this.

Lets see things in the right perspective.
This level of pollution is taking too much away from Delhi and its citizens.
Here is my own experience: I go cycling (usually on Sunday or on early morning hours), and I find my eyes start watering, and get bloodshot within 15 minutes. That is the level of pollution in NON rush-hour timings.
And the horror stories I have been hearing from friends who suffer from asthma, and other respiratory illnesses are really shocking too - about doctors advising them to try and leave the city - specially if they have kids who also suffer from these problems.

Last edited by samarth.bhatia : 7th April 2015 at 21:55.
samarth.bhatia is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 7th April 2015, 22:06   #23
BHPian

Quote:
The National Green Tribunal (NGT) on Tuesday banned all diesel vehicles over ten years old in Delhi and adjoining cities.
While we were discussing the 15 year ban on vehicles in Delhi, here comes another one banning all diesel vehicles over 10 year old in Delhi.

What I want to know is why this partiality with only Delhi. NGT stands for NATIONAL Green Tribunal. Then why this dictatorial attitude towards Delhi only. Won't those vehicles pollute those cities too where they will be transferred. Don't the other cities deserve to be pollution free too.
luvtandon is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th April 2015, 22:47   #24
Senior - BHPian

Will this decrease the value of say a preowned Pajero drastically. Is it the time to buy and relocate to tier 2 or 3 city? Why cant we have more rational policies than mere knee jerk reactions that will eventually lead to more occassions to be corrupt.
Old 7th April 2015, 23:20   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 300 KMPH View Post
What? 10 years old is too less. I don't think modern day CRDI diesel engines are that polluting.
I agree with your thoughts. I have one question though. How many models came with CRDI engines in 2005 (among mass market cars)? Most diesel models on sale back then, had 1.7, 1.9 or higher capacity NA engines.

If the government (or NGT) wants individuals to change their cars, they should offer subsidy on new cars that are purchased in exchange of all Delhi registered cars.

These half-thought ideas only inconvenience people.
Old 7th April 2015, 23:57   #26
BHPian

Mod Note: Post deleted. Please do NOT post messages that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the quality of this forum.

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further. Request to post ONLY when you have something substantial to add to a discussion.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 8th April 2015 at 12:05.
sleepyk is offline   Received Infraction
Old 8th April 2015, 00:03   #27
BHPian

I think the way to go would be to start doing British-style MOT inspections on cars over a certain age.
The have to get it done for cars over 3 years old. Maybe we can make it mandatory for cars that are around 5/10 years old, based on expert opinion.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/MOT_test
Old 8th April 2015, 00:09   #28

The Lifetime Taxes Paid and Registration Certificate itself is valid for 15 years. How could they phase out vehicles at 10 years of age? Will the RTO refund the extra taxes collected? They should have allowed for at least 15 years irrespective of petrol or diesel vehicles. I fear, if such rules start getting into effect on other metropolitan cities.
Does it imply the visitor vehicles (from other regions) older than 10 years will be denied entry to Delhi and NCR?
sonics is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 8th April 2015, 07:20   #29
Senior - BHPian

Has anyone heard of the Global Burden of Disease Study done every decade. Check it out and see how high is the risk factor of air pollution and specifically ambient particulate matter pollution and solid fuel pollution. The amounts of deaths and disability and percent attributable to these factors is very high especially in India and South Asia.

Good that at least someone has done something after a long time. Maybe we will get lesser vehicles on the road, lesser traffic, lesser idling, and lesser pollution. Even if the benefits may be small, they would be worth it. I am literally sick of the Delhi air and disgusted at the politicians.
vasudeva is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th April 2015, 07:55   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasudeva View Post
Has anyone heard of the Global Burden of Disease Study done every decade. Check it out and see how high is the risk factor of air pollution and specifically ambient particulate matter pollution and solid fuel pollution. The amounts of deaths and disability and percent attributable to these factors is very high especially in India and South Asia.
Have you seen my Tucson?

By what measure should I accept a ban on it, when the 6 month old taxi coming to pick me is spewing particulates enough to be used in a tank battle?

Last edited by mayankk : 8th April 2015 at 07:59.
mayankk is offline   (7) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks