Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 30th May 2015, 14:36   #361
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mahindra XUV500 facelift revealed in spy shots EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 11.21 lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by inder View Post
The earlier W6 did have fogs lamps. Why have they omitted now? I am a W6 owner myself. The only things I like about this new version are the centre console top, and the front grill(teeth) . Cant comment on the suspension part unless I ride one.
They have omitted too many features on the W6 to match the cost of the vehicle. If you see they haven't increased the prices on W4 & W6 variant, instead they have omitted certain features. So the earlier owners of W6 are lucky to have that many features.
fusionbang is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th May 2015, 15:09   #362
BHPian

Re: Mahindra XUV500 facelift revealed in spy shots EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 11.21 lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusionbang View Post
They have omitted too many features on the W6 to match the cost of the vehicle. If you see they haven't increased the prices on W4 & W6 variant, instead they have omitted certain features. So the earlier owners of W6 are lucky to have that many features.
Thanks again fusionbang.

Looks like a head vs heart situation has opened up.

Truth be told, my heart is set on a w10. My mom and wife want it just for the sunroof.

But it is 3 lakhs more (or a nano amt if u please!)

Its really gut wrenching when a marketing trick of bait and upsell can be played on a management consultant.
acidkill is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th May 2015, 15:56   #363
BHPian

Exactly a hearts Vs mind situation, the most difficult part at this moment is to opt for W8 and in the end most of the buyers will be in a just-one-lakh-more kind of situation for the sunroof. On a other note, how reliable are sunroofs? It would be great if someone knows an owner of XUV xclusive edition who can share few valuable thoughts and feedback on it.
Old 30th May 2015, 16:18   #364
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by acidkill View Post
Its really gut wrenching when a marketing trick of bait and upsell can be played on a management consultant.
Amusing. Infact that was the entire point of launching W4. Sale of W6 increased after launching W4 due to marketing upsell. We all fall for it . Even I had gone for W6 and ended up getting W8.
supertinu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th May 2015, 17:13   #365
BHPian

Ok so here are my 2 cents from the test drive-

Ride and handling- Feels more mature in dynamics. The ride is supple and doesn't unsettle the car like before. Feels more solid and takes bad roads with poise.

Engine and gearbox- Felt more eager to rev and yes, more refined! Gearbox shift quality is way better than the previous one. Precise and spot on, not too far from hyundai! The clutch has long travel but is very soft in action.

Brakes- A+, feels more than adequate and inspires confidence to say the least. Dare I say, felt better than my Verna and some Toyotas!

The car is better in almost every aspect so those who are confused with the available discounted version should go ahead with the new one.
sudeep.pandya is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th May 2015, 18:12   #366
BHPian

Mod note: Fixing Quotes, do a Preview before Submitting posts. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudeep.pandya View Post
======
Brakes- A+, feels more than adequate and inspires confidence to say the least. Dare I say, felt better than my Verna and some Toyotas!
Is it beacuse of Disc brakes on all wheels now ? If i am not wrong the earlier version didnt have disc brakes on rear? XUV owners please comment

To me the sunroof (if free from niggles) is a true winner - have always been fascinated with them. Also the updated Infotainment system with Voice assist, Intelligent AWD by Borg warner, Reverse camera, Electronic OVRMs, Automatic Smart rain & light sensors, Individual reading lamps & charging points

Indifferent but welcome additions - keyless entry, New white colour, Beige interior, Ice blue lighting, Puddle lamps

Am a bit ok with middle row being fixed - personally i believe Mahinddra wanted to market the car for 5 Adults & 2/3 children only, allowing all pax to sit in comfort. They must have figured if the middle row was given as adjustable, soon Indians may start using all rows with minimum leg room to accomodate max pasengers thereby treading on MUV Innovas territory. Here it lies well placed in the comfortable SUV category with 4-5 adults sitting space

Last edited by Jaggu : 30th May 2015 at 19:04. Reason: Fixing Quotes, do a Preview before Submitting posts. Thanks.
Old 30th May 2015, 21:36   #367
BHPian

The facelift model looks good to me, really like the front fascia as compared to the old one. But the new version looks best in white since the chrome on the fog lamps goes very well with white color. I am an owner of XUV 5OO w8 and i am a happy customer so far and mine has completed 62000 kms yesterday.
I'll be going for a TD of the facelifted version tomorrow. If M&M has worked even a little bit on the suspension of the XUV then i might consider replacing my current W8 to W10 when the right time comes.
The only point which i am doubtful about is the reliability of the sunroof besides that I don't think there will be any major niggles. But let's wait and see how this facelift turns out.
Old 30th May 2015, 22:35   #368

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudeep.pandya View Post

Ride and handling- Feels more mature in dynamics. The ride is supple and doesn't unsettle the car like before. Feels more solid and takes bad roads with poise.

Engine and gearbox- Felt more eager to rev and yes, more refined! Gearbox shift quality is way better than the previous one. Precise and spot on, not too far from hyundai! The clutch has long travel but is very soft in action.

The car is better in almost every aspect so those who are confused with the available discounted version should go ahead with the new one.
i took a test drive of the new gen and have almost similar feedback.
Ride and gearshift has improved, the changes in design of center console and cowl over instrument cluster to reduce reflection and rattles respectively are also a plus. Result - changed booking from old gen w8 to new gen w8.
gauravkhurana is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st May 2015, 02:14   #369
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mentalmaxout View Post
....Is it beacuse of Disc brakes on all wheels now ? If i am not wrong the earlier version didnt have disc brakes on rear? XUV owners please comment...
XUV always had all 4 disc brakes. There was wheel lock issues inspire of being equipped with ABS & then there was brake pedal feel/bite issues. I suppose the pedal is better calibrated now.
Old 31st May 2015, 11:02   #370
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amoghchaphalkar View Post
Is it only me who finds the position of the START/STOP button odd? (Check highlighted red part in the pic) And the external Chrome bits look a little overdone. But other than that a very competent product and the pricing looks good. Looks like my Safari is going out and the W10 AWD is coming in.

Attachment 1374614
I think the intent is to use the same hand to use the start stop button and then switch to the gear lever immediately. Some quirky thinking
Old 31st May 2015, 14:28   #371
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zahoor23 View Post
Exactly a hearts Vs mind situation, the most difficult part at this moment is to opt for W8 and in the end most of the buyers will be in a just-one-lakh-more kind of situation for the sunroof. On a other note, how reliable are sunroofs? It would be great if someone knows an owner of XUV xclusive edition who can share few valuable thoughts and feedback on it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by acidkill View Post

Truth be told, my heart is set on a w10. My mom and wife want it just for the sunroof.

But it is 3 lakhs more (or a nano amt if u please!)

Don`t go for the W10 model JUST for the sunroof guys. A sunroof can be easily installed from outside (Webasto) for a lesser price. I get the fact that a company installed product gives more confidence but you also get warranty on aftermarket sunroofs and A.S.S too. Just my two cents.
Old 31st May 2015, 20:12   #372
BHPian

Had gone to checkout the new age cheetah in person.

Here's my 2 paisa:
  • I like the new bonnet better than the old one, looks mature.
  • The black honeycomb plastic (between the whiskers) in the front bumper is gone. Would be easier to keep the bumper clean and polished. For some reason they really bothered me in the old design. I hate it when black plastics start showing white grains in them when left on their own.
  • The dashboard and other plastic parts look better put together than the earlier model. The grade/quality of plastic, at least to me, looked about the same. Liked the design of dash better than the older one, there's a certain maturity to it now.
  • The gearbox of the test vehicle was very slick, was pleasantly surprised.
  • The new 7" HU looks good. The reverse camera with guide lanes work very well.
  • Liked the quality of leather used for the seats, however beige meant that they already needed cleaning in the display vehicle.
  • Electric seat adjustment worked well, was able to find a comfortable position quickly.
  • Sunroof and beige combination make the cabin well-lit and airy.
  • Looked under the vehicle, the engine cover does not drop as low as I had seen in the 2014 vehicles.
  • The silver skid plates seen from the front are made of plastic.
  • Asked the SA what would happen if I pressed the start/stop button on a running vehicle, he said it wouldn't engage. Did not try it out though
  • I thought head clearance for W10 was lower than other W*, might be because of sunroof. It's still sufficient.

Overall, I think it's a nice upgrade.

Here's the Mumbai pricing sheet:
Mahindra XUV500 facelift revealed in spy shots EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 11.21 lakh-xuv.png
W10 + AWD touches 20 big ones (breaches 20 at Kalyan)!
sumithb is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st June 2015, 09:48   #373
BNM
BHPian

Re: Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review

I drove the new XUV W10 2WD yesterday evening in Bangalore and all I can say is I was pleasantly surprised. I test drove it a year ago and then seen it at close quarters after 2 colleagues bought it. Every time I used to squirm looking at the tacky interiors and color palette of the XUV on the inside and the overly done cat whiskers/front design on the outside and of course the 200 page niggles thread (I drive a fluidic verna crdi BTW)

Interiors: The interior is quite pleasant now. The black and beige theme feels good if not upmarket. Gone is the after thought "bowl" which sat on top of the speedometer console (how could they do it). The dash is more integrated and the center console sports a pleasant dull black finish with a much better fit and finish - though the coin holder wouldn't open every time consistently. The highlights on the inside are the electrically adjustable driver seat which gets you to a real comfortable position, the smart key and the obviously the sunroof. All worked without any hitches. The icy blue lighting looks cheap though. The ICE also looks good now and was quite responsive. I paired my phone which has android lollipop. I was able to play music but the sound quality is very mediocre. It showed all the recent call logs but wouldn't show the name of the caller when I actually dialed a number - strange !. This will start a new niggle thread for sure.

Exteriors: I liked the new bumper now though I hated the extra chrome around the fog lamps. I was wondering if I should get it painted black if I buy the vehicle. I am yet to see the new orange color which would be my preference with a ceramic black coating for the top. The back looks better now with the chrome garnish. I didn't like the alloys and was told that I would lose the tyretronics feature if I installed custom alloys. Why ??

Drive: I drove on the new airport road. The gear shifting has definitely improved though a bit notchy in the 1st and 2nd - certainly does not make sounds like the gear lever touching the plastic ring in the previous version (there is no ring housing around the gear knob in the new one). In fact it took one finger to move from 2nd to 3rd and 3rd to 4th. It moves so well in the 5th gear without any strain even at 40 kmph and has plenty of reserves (I drive the verna diesel which requires you to drive in particular speeds for each gear). It was raining and I braked hard 3 times at speeds of 80 praying all the time but it did stop pretty well without any swerving. The Mahindra sales guy assured me that the brake pad and clutch problems have been resolved completely after 2013 after Mahindra changed its vendors. I surely hope so. I then got down from the flyover into the service road and got caught in an unintentional real life traffic jam for 30 minutes. It gave me an opportunity to test it in real world conditions with multiple stop and gos. The clutch is so light- thank god, it is even better than my verna and left leg didn't feel strained. The micro hybrid would turn off the engine but it didn't do it all the time. Mahindra guy told me it requires a certain distance to be travelled before it switches off again. Didn't get the logic - I hope the older owners can confirm else one more niggle in the offing. I did notice a few vibrations on the gear lever and steering during the 30 minute crawl. Finally some off-roading - I drove a bad stretch with dug up roads in Amruthahalli which was really slushy after the rains. I would have never dared to venture on those roads. But the XUV came out with great aplomb even without being a AWD.

Verdict: I am really impressed with what Mahindra has done assuming that all previous issues are sorted out and new ones don't appear with the sunroof, smart key and the power adjustable seat. It will a real contender for me to choose between ix25 which is coming next month. I have had a hassle free relationship with Hyundai for 15 years now. It will be decision between my heart and mind - you will guess which is for what
BNM is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 1st June 2015, 14:56   #374
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by BNM View Post
I drove the new XUV W10 2WD yesterday evening in Bangalore and all I can say is I was pleasantly surprised. ....
Good detailed report. Thanks for sharing.

Quote:
I didn't like the alloys and was told that I would lose the tyretronics feature if I installed custom alloys. Why ??
The TPMS needs a sensor in each wheel and that sensor is integrated with the valve of the alloy. From what I understand, the valve and the sensor assembly can not be moved to another design alloy. That should explain why TPMS would be lost once someone changes the alloys to another design.

Quote:
....The micro hybrid would turn off the engine but it didn't do it all the time. Mahindra guy told me it requires a certain distance to be travelled before it switches off again. Didn't get the logic - I hope the older owners can confirm else one more niggle in the offing. ...
I believe this is normal behavior. The start-stop functionality indeed has quite a few prerequisites for it to work every time. In a traffic jam, there is a good possibility that the battery is not at its optimum charge for the start-stop to work.
Old 1st June 2015, 16:28   #375
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
I believe this is normal behavior. The start-stop functionality indeed has quite a few prerequisites for it to work every time. In a traffic jam, there is a good possibility that the battery is not at its optimum charge for the start-stop to work.
Battery might not be the culprit here (neither the distance). I believe the vehicle should reach a certain speed before start-stop kicks in. I was initially confused as well, but later realized it from my own observation.

Even in short distances (5-10 meters), try speeding above ~10km and start stop will kick in. In bumper to bumper, I wait a bit before moving so that start stop can kick in.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks