Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 11th June 2015, 13:10   #451
BHPian

Re: Mahindra XUV500 facelift revealed in spy shots EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 11.21 lakh

Hi guys. I am an owner of previous gen XUV500 W8 2012 model. Our car has run for over 40,000 kms and has been mostly trouble free and reliable thus far. I had a chance to test drive the New Age XUV500 W10 2WD near my office few weeks back and here are my observations.

Design:
First let me talk about the exterior design and engineering.
- Design is much more mature and the headlamps and new grille are actually pretty attractive in person, especially in lighter shades. The black grille and lighter body color has made a nice contrast to the front.

- The fog lamp chrome housing also does not stick out like a sore thumb in lighter shades, though I feel that the chrome could have been used much more lightly. The plastic bit around the chrome housed fog lamps is glossy and already had slight scratches.

- The bonnet which looks much more tamed than before disappointed a lot of XUV fans as it lost those aggressive lines. But once you are inside and driving the XUV, the new bonnet sure does make an impression. It adds that muscular feel and since the bonnet is sculpted at the corners, it makes you easy to judge the car's proximity.

- The OVRMS are now less noisy than before and no longer makes all cracking and grinding noises while folding and unfolding.
Could not test the OVRM XUV500 logo projection as it was day time.

- New door handles with integrated keyless entry button is much sturdier. Keyless entry worked without an hitch.

- The sides of the car remain the same save for the chrome window lining (W10 only)

- The back of the car again looks the same and the rear door applique is much better done. Rear cam(standard in W10) is located besides the book unlock handle. Strangely the boot release knocking sound is still there. :angry:

Interiors:
- M&M have done some serious work in here. Almost everything has been improved and this shows how well M&M listen to the customer's feedback.

- Color trim looks better and thankfully, the cheap soap wood plastic in the dashboard has been replaced by a much solid plastic piece.

- New 7 inch touchscreen infotainment is very refined. Very smooth to use and uses much better fonts and UI. The maps can be zoomed in and out with two fingers. Display is of good quality, but once you turn on the parking lights (S shaped LED light in headlamp), the screen automatically becomes dim in brightness making the screen unreadable.

-The sales rep told that the speaker quality has been improved with more equalizer options in the MID. The speakers definitely sounded better and had none of those vibrations and disturbance like before.

- The buttons on the dash offer slightly better feedback than before, though still clicky in nature.

- Start/Stop button is located at the bottom ahead of the gear lever. It is of very good quality. And though location of the button might not please few people, I find it easy to quickly press the start button and work the gear to move the vehicle.

- Key fob is lighter than old gen key fob and it sees better design and quality. Mercedes users will find the key fob design familiar.

- Electrically adjustable seats work well.

- Sunroof has two parts, an interior door and an external glass roof. Internal roof door opens automatically when you press the switch but you have to close it manually. Glass roof works both ways. And no noises here, smooth operation.

- Top storage bin is of very good quality and has button to release the lid. No nonsense here too.

- Steering wheel leather much more rich.

- Hood for instrument cluster now joins the dash and much more solid.

- Icy blue lighting looks cool. But I would have like a white color lighting scheme.

- Overall quality can be easily rated 8/10.

I got a sense of feeling that the new gen XUV will not have electrical issues as almost everything worked with refinement. The new MID looks very refined too. The interiors too feel much nicer and everything seemed to be better put together.
The only negatives of the interiors are that the boot space remains the same and dashboard texture is still unaltered.

Engine:
- Better driveability due to changed gear ratios for driving in lower gears. Turbo lag slightly less perceptible. Response is still the same, which is a good thing as the mHawk is one gem of an engine. Fast, refined and fuel efficient.
- Gear shifts are much more precise and smooth than before. No notchiness like before. Infact M&M have made the gearbox very slick to use. But it still has the same long throws.
- The clutch is way more lighter than before and is more progressive, making it easy to modulate.

Ride and handling:
- I really feel that the New Age XUV rides better on bad roads and has lost most of its hard crashing thuds and sounds of the previous gen XUV.
- Steering is slightly lighter to use but still weighs up quite well at speed.
- Handling seemed more or less the same. So you still get a decent handling SUV.

Brakes:
- M&M did their homework here. The brakes felt sharper than before, comparing to my XUV which feel wooden. It is much more progressive, has a sharp bite and stopping power is really reassuring. The brake also works noiselessly.

Price & Verdict:
The on road price of the New Age XUV500 W10 4WD costs a little more than 18 lakhs. But considering the whole lot of improvements both inside and out, the XUV500 is much more compelling than ever. This W10 model will seriously draw a lot of potential Fortuner customers for sure.

It looks mature(personal taste), the interiors are of better quality and equipment, the engine as good as ever, suspension and braking have improved considerably and as always that feature list just makes the new age XUV a well rounded package.
The only negatives I felt were some iffy bits inside, the overdone foglamps design and no boot space. Thats all, I was really impressed with M&M on the improvements they have done. Kudos.

Last edited by karthick_b : 11th June 2015 at 13:22. Reason: Grammatical error
karthick_b is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 11th June 2015, 13:35   #452
BHPian

Re: Mahindra XUV500 facelift revealed in spy shots EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 11.21 lakh

Hi karthick_b,
First post on TBHP and so elaborate. You might be mistaken for a M&M executive :-)

Also, in is very interesting to see that in spite of owning the previous gen XUV, you seem to be too happy to state things like "comparing to my XUV which feel wooden", "No notchiness like before" etc. To me it looks to be good true - to be so unbiased.

Just kidding. Do post your current ownership and some pics of your beast.

Last edited by simonkayar : 11th June 2015 at 13:36.
simonkayar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th June 2015, 14:37   #453
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonkayar View Post
Hi karthick_b,
First post on TBHP and so elaborate. You might be mistaken for a M&M executive :-)
Thanks for your feedback. It may have been my first post here, but I have been reading lots of stuff in this amazing website for many a years. So you know how I may have got this quality

I have been happy with my XUV500, and mechanically it is a great package. However, the interiors kind of disappointed me in the long term especially the quality. Hence the comparison with the new one. Also as per my beast, I will post some pics for sure.

Last edited by ampere : 11th June 2015 at 14:39. Reason: Removed bulk of quoted post
Old 11th June 2015, 15:22   #454
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karthick_b View Post
Hi guys. I am an owner of previous gen XUV500 W8 2012 model. Our car has run for over 40,000 kms and has been mostly trouble free and reliable thus far. I had a chance to test drive the New Age XUV500 W10 2WD near my office few weeks back and here are my observations.
Thanks for the long, detailed review! Since you are an XUV owner, its great to see point-by-point comparison and a completely unbiased view on the updates.

A lot of positives there, and as I was reading the report, the dealer called me on my phone and asked "Sir, you visited our showroom a few days back, could we help you with any additional info ? when could you be deciding?" etc. I was tempted to say "yes" immediately!

Heart vs Head, Safari vs XUV is my dilemma for now ( The Innova question will come only when I know that they are actually planning to release the update sometime soon ). One just cant overlook all of the safety features and driver aids the XUV has!!

Another big plus is the company's eagerness to ensure that the customer stays happy.
Old 11th June 2015, 16:44   #455
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigzero View Post
Thanks for the long, detailed review!
========
Another big plus is the company's eagerness to ensure that the customer stays happy.
I am happy hear about your decision to choose the XUV. It may not have the reliability of the Innova or the ruggedness of a Safari, but it trumps both in performance, styling and safety. It is the most car you can get for your money.
Old 11th June 2015, 23:30   #456
BHPian

Reviews by the established media houses have been pretty lame so far. Came across a review by a guy called "Sanjay Walia" on youtube which I think is the best review yet, at least the guy is testing on open road instead of Mahindra test track!.

Check it out .
sumithb is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th June 2015, 05:39   #457

Took delivery of my car today.
Did not see pics of a black vehicle and hence posting.

The overall quality as compared to the earlier version feels much better. The blue mood light is really cool.

I had issues with the sunroof which opens with a weird thud, we checked the demo vehicle which again had the same issue (I am worried if the mechanism will last long enough, especially since replacing the unit is quite expensive).

Also the left rear door makes continuous weird sound, I think the alignment is not proper; need to get this checked. I have 2 Skoda cars and maybe I am expecting a little too much from a Mahindra.

I was expecting the purple club to be so much more, this looks like a rebranded club mahindra marketing gimmick.

Drove around 200 kms through the city and thoroughly enjoyed each kilometer. The vehicle is stable even if you push it, though there is some understeer at times. It rained here and I enjoyed wallowing this warthog through the slush.

I ended up paying 19 lakhs with corporate registration, but the features and drive totally justify the cost. Just hope no new niggles crop up, already 2 and counting.

Mahindra XUV500 facelift revealed in spy shots EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 11.21 lakh-img_1418.jpg

Mahindra XUV500 facelift revealed in spy shots EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 11.21 lakh-img_1419.jpg

Mahindra XUV500 facelift revealed in spy shots EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 11.21 lakh-img_1420.jpg

Mod Note : Post Edited. Smiley usage is restricted to two per post on Team-BHP. Please do NOT use more than 2 smileys in a post.

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further!

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 12th June 2015 at 09:33. Reason: Please read the note posted above!
NM360 is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 12th June 2015, 09:23   #458
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NM360 View Post
Did not see pics of a black vehicle and hence posting.

The overall quality as compared to the earlier version feels much better. The blue mood light is really cool.

I had issues with the sunroof which opens with a weird thud, we checked the demo vehicle which again had the same issue (I am worried if the mechanism will last long enough, especially since replacing the unit is quite expensive).

Also the left rear door makes continuous weird sound, I think the alignment is not proper; need to get this checked. I have 2 Skoda cars and maybe I am expecting a little too much from a Mahindra.

I was expecting the purple club to be so much more, this looks like a rebranded club mahindra marketing gimmick.

Drove around 200 kms through the city and thoroughly enjoyed each kilometer. The vehicle is stable even if you push it, though there is some understeer at times. It rained here and I enjoyed wallowing this warthog through the slush.

I ended up paying 19 lakhs with corporate registration, but the features and drive totally justify the cost. Just hope no new niggles crop up, already 2 and counting.
Hi NM260, Congrats on your delivery of the XUV500. It looks smashing in black color. Only wish the chrome around the foglamps could have been removed by M&M during the design process of the XUV. But apart from this the new age XUV looks killer.

Please rectify the sunroof issue with Mahindra immediately before it gets worse. They should rectify the issue under warranty. This is where Mahindra can improve their Quality Control.

Please do post more pics and share your ownership experience in a new thread.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 12th June 2015 at 09:34. Reason: Quoted post edited.
karthick_b is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2015, 09:27   #459
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NM360 View Post
Congratulations NM360 Happy munching miles with the cheetah, the car is looking great in Black.

And on the niggle on left door, is it like a weird noise when the vehicles is moved or while opening and closing?
Old 12th June 2015, 10:58   #460
Senior - BHPian

Mahindra XUV500 facelift revealed in spy shots EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 11.2...

A pic of the fancy/VIP numbers available at the worli MH 03 RTO, went there yesterday to book a number for my XUV and fortunately got the same number which is registered on my other car aswell i.e 7778.

Mahindra XUV500 facelift revealed in spy shots EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 11.21 lakh-imageuploadedbyteambhp1434086901.137651.jpg

Delivery day : Monday
Tanveer_2558 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th June 2015, 23:02   #461
BHPian

Ok guys, Got the loan approval today. Need to call up a few dealers and bargain for the best deal now. A few queries:

1. I have my office in noida and residence in delhi. I am contemplating taking a Noida registration as that is costing around 50k lesser than the delhi one. I am planning to keep the car for 5-6 years. I believe there wont be a substantial difference in the re sale value after those many years. I drove a Noida registered Dzire for 7 years and now when I am planning to sell it, I am getting the same offers from both the cities. Any inputs on the same?

2. I have already stretched my budget for W6 since I initially planned to go for my first love storme EX, so I am only planning to go for after market alloys, rain visors, gear lock, gps chip and Matting and may be a reverse cam. Would appreciate a cost break up for these items in delhi.

3. My family is divided between Red and silver colours. Red looks smashing on xuv but requires more maintenance and fades off with time as I don't have a covered parking at home or office. Silver has got an under stated charm and elegance to it and stays new-like for years But my daughter finds it boring ( especially after being driven in a white dzire for seven long years, she says she wants SOME colour) . Though more than the colour, she desperately wants a new and BIG car

Please keep the suggestions rolling, all you cheetah lovers

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 13th June 2015 at 08:57. Reason: Spacing = helps readability.
Old 13th June 2015, 09:18   #462
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storme_on_d_way View Post
Ok guys, Got the loan approval today. Need to call up a few dealers and bargain for the best deal now. A few queries:

1. I have my office in noida and residence in delhi. I am contemplating taking a Noida registration as that is costing around 50k lesser than the delhi one. I am planning to keep the car for 5-6 years. I believe there wont be a substantial difference in the re sale value after those many years. I drove a Noida registered Dzire for 7 years and now when I am planning to sell it, I am getting the same offers from both the cities. Any inputs on the same?

2. I have already stretched my budget for W6 since I initially planned to go for my first love storme EX, so I am only planning to go for after market alloys, rain visors, gear lock, gps chip and Matting and may be a reverse cam. Would appreciate a cost break up for these items in delhi.

3. My family is divided between Red and silver colours. Red looks smashing on xuv but requires more maintenance and fades off with time as I don't have a covered parking at home or office. Silver has got an under stated charm and elegance to it and stays new-like for years But my daughter finds it boring ( especially after being driven in a white dzire for seven long years, she says she wants SOME colour) . Though more than the colour, she desperately wants a new and BIG car

Storme_on_d_way, Hey buddy you can't do this. Not with your handle. Will it not be awkward to drive an XUV, when your handle is devoted to the Storme. This is like that song by REM "Changing my religion"

I have just booked a Storme, and I expect the delivery to happen by 24th June. I too live in Noida and if it helps, you can wait for 10 days and test drive my vehicle. Go in for a noida registration .The tax difference is 4.5%. Delhi govt is also more likely to bow in to NGT and restrict the registration period to 10 years. Moreover, Noida is growing fast and by the time you are ready to replace your vehicle, it will be a much larger city with a good number of prospective buyers.

Silver is good color and is easy to maintain. I drive a black SX4 and dust is very visible on it just an hour after washing it.

By the way TML have startd offering Storme TD's ( If the radio commercials are to be believed)

Last edited by rajneeesh : 13th June 2015 at 09:25. Reason: spellings
Old 13th June 2015, 10:17   #463
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storme_on_d_way View Post

Hi buddy. I see that you have a heart for the Safari Storme. Even though the XUV is superior (Because of monocoque chassis and performance) than Safari, a Safari is a Safari. Having sat in a Safari, that view from the cockpit is enough for you to choose it. Also considering how good the facelift is, I would actually recommend to think twice. As rajneesh states above, he is absolutely right You have to go with your first love.

Please sit and think about it. It is your hard earned money and sometimes you will regret about your decision later on because of Safari is your favorite car.
Old 13th June 2015, 12:09   #464
BHPian

My neighbour got the new XUV 500 W10 in black. It had the sunroof which was covered by the roof luggage carrier
IMHO, this ruined the looks of the car up to some extent and also reduced the purpose of having a sunroof.
Resh@22 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th June 2015, 12:37   #465
BHPian

@rajneesh and @karthic, thanks a ton for the messages. And rajneesh, I would be waiting for your cars delivery and would love to catch up too ( coffee's on me). I was a silent lover of safari even when I had bought the dzire 7 years back, But its little too late for looking back. My family has put the foot down and every single one of them is against buying a TATA. Although I have told them this time I am going as per their wishes but I will buy a tata suv someday for sure, may be a third generation storme , hence the Handle stays!! Anyways would really appreciate some suggestions from tbhpians on the points I had mentioned there.

Last edited by Storme_on_d_way : 13th June 2015 at 12:42.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed