Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 13th April 2015, 15:27   #1
Team-BHP Support

Rumour: Isuzu to bring Panther (Tavera clone) to India

Japanese carmaker Isuzu, is rumoured to be considering the Panther MPV for the Indian market. It may be noted that the same vehicle is already available as the Chevrolet Tavera in India.

In international markets, the Panther looks similar to the Tavera, but has a restyled grille and bumpers, projector headlamps, 15-inch multi-spoke alloy wheels, roof rails, tailgate-mounted spare wheel, body cladding and aluminium side step boards.

Media reports claim that the Panther will be offered in body colours such as Hunter Green, Dark Silver, Cosmic Black, Garnet Red, and Splash White. Equipment is likely to include a DVD/CD/MP3/WMA/JPG player with USB connectivity, spoiler integrated reverse camera, reverse sensors and an alarm system.

The Panther is expected to be powered by a 2.5-litre, 4-cylinder diesel engine that develops 84 bhp. It will be mated to a 5-speed manual gearbox. The suspension is rumoured to have been tweaked for better ride comfort.

Isuzu will manufature the Panther at its upcoming plant in Sri City in the state of Andhra Pradesh.

Rumour: Isuzu to bring Panther (Tavera clone) to India-cw.jpg

Source: Gaadiwaadi

Last edited by Aditya : 15th April 2015 at 10:38.
Aditya is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 13th April 2015, 16:31   #2
BHPian

re: Rumour: Isuzu to bring Panther (Tavera clone) to India

Any news on the pricing? The tourist market will happily gobble this up provided it is priced lower or on-par with the Tavera.

If they launch it with all the bells-and-whistles mentioned, it might worth considering as an option to the Ertiga or the Mobilio.

Cheers!
Cartman
Cartman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th April 2015, 16:54   #3
BHPian

I do not see the point. Agreed that the Tavera was originally an ISUZU but the market will perceive it as a copy of something that has been around for over 10 years. Besides with Isuzu's sales and service set up, they are not likely to be able to break open the commercial market the way things are at present.
Strangerintown is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th April 2015, 17:03   #4
D4D
BHPian

I think the Crosswind is too old for the Indian market. Also, the badge engineered Tavera is already here for over a decade.

Have a feeling that only commercial operators will be interested in this. With the lack of dealers, the private buyer isn't going to be keen on buying this.

BTW, it's known as the Isuzu Panther in south east Asian countries. Crosswind was an addition in Philippines market. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isuzu_Panther
D4D is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th April 2015, 17:34   #5
BHPian

What I fail to understand is that why in this world, these automotive vendors are not willing to bring in better and more competitive products. More so, what are they trying to compete with. Come on 2.5 litre Diesel engine producing 84 bhp and still giving 13 kmpl. Its neither fuel efficient nor performance oriented. Even if it means that it has to be priced conservatively, that should not stop you from offering a product that indeed holds some value.

If they really plan to bring this to India, its a perfect recipe for disaster for them, considering that they hardly sell in commercial or high end SUV market, thanks to overpricing their portfolio.
tajender is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 13th April 2015, 18:34   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tajender View Post
What I fail to understand is that why in this world, these automotive vendors are not willing to bring in better and more competitive products. More so, what are they trying to compete with. Come on 2.5 litre Diesel engine producing 84 bhp and still giving 13 kmpl. Its neither fuel efficient nor performance oriented. Even if it means that it has to be priced conservatively, that should not stop you from offering a product that indeed holds some value.

If they really plan to bring this to India, its a perfect recipe for disaster for them, considering that they hardly sell in commercial or high end SUV market, thanks to overpricing their portfolio.

Very apt diagnosis. Regarding your first opinion about better and competitive products, I suspect that we Indians really give these foreign companies a damn tough time coming over and doing business here. Firstly the government gives them hell what with all the hilariously impractical regulations, rules, and what not, to do business here, so much so that they don't have much choice and end up scrambling up the best they can do. Over and above that, the end user, that's us wise guys, extend the "hell" situation for them by still expecting them to match up with the local players point to point.

They even have to change most of what they end up giving us by customizing almost the whole vehicle again for us like the suspension/chassis( for our "roads") and engine(for our adulterated and impure fuel) and the list goes on. I think it's pretty crazy out there for the poor guys.

The only logical way out for them appears to be cost-cutting like crazy. Look at what the Honda guys had to do to the mighty City to make it viable for us and them. Creaks and noises and cheapness all over. But the chaps still did a commendable job and it paid off. Hats off to them.
pixantz is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th April 2015, 22:21   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Wonder why they are launching it with the 84bhp engine when they have the torque monster 135bhp version of the same in the Dmax.

I for once have to disagree as there is a market for such a vehicle. But coming from Isuzu without the reach and prowess of the bigger players is going to be a tough game.
Old 13th April 2015, 22:46   #8
Senior - BHPian

This reminds me of the Maruti 800, looking at how long Isuzu keeps a model generation.

Isuzu has been milking the Panther model since 1991. After 10 years, they introduced the revised second generation that we still see. 15 years later, the same model is about to hit India as a fresh launch. Does that mean they are not likely to change it for another 5 years? Looks like they are after Maruti 800s record. Whatever happens, Ambassador's record of no changes for practically 5 decades is likely to be never challenged.

My prediction: Almost dead on arrival, and will eat out of the numbers of the Tavera. It will kill its sibling in the process of dying a slow death and possibly lead to Chevy winding up its operations in India as well.

Last edited by zenren : 13th April 2015 at 22:48.
zenren is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th April 2015, 23:44   #9
Senior - BHPian

I just might buy one. I have always found the second row of the Tavera far more comfortable than that of the Innova and it has been my Taxi of choice whenever I have travelled to the Southern part of the country especially Madras.

Have been toying with the idea of getting an outbox with an eye on the current traffic scenario in the NCR but then this vehicle with a driver will not only be more comfortable, convenient & economical but will also allow one to relax while commuting.

Might even get one of those Teana style massage seats affixed. Ok, now I am dreaming with my eyes open
khoj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th April 2015, 10:15   #10
Senior - BHPian

They got nothing better - really? It would be sad if they really bring this one here. I think Isuzu has some nice cars and they can play in the next segment (higher than Duster).

Offtopic -- Now that 10 year old diesel vehicles are banned in Delhi - how about 20 years old technology? This is probably offtopic, but there must be some way of dislodging old stuff before it hits the showrooms too.
Old 14th April 2015, 10:39   #11
Senior - BHPian

Pity they are not thinking of bringing a better looking vehicle. I guess they really do not have too many options in their portfolio.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixantz View Post
Very apt diagnosis. Regarding your first opinion about better and competitive products, I suspect that we Indians really give these foreign companies a damn tough time coming over and doing business here. Firstly the government gives them hell what with all the hilariously impractical regulations, rules, and what not, to do business here, so much so that they don't have much choice and end up scrambling up the best they can do. Over and above that, the end user, that's us wise guys, extend the "hell" situation for them by still expecting them to match up with the local players point to point.
(In a lighter vein) Indians want their car to have the looks of an Aston Martin, the build of a Hummer, the brand status of a Merc, the rough terrain ability of a battle tank, the mileage and service ease of a Maruti Alto at the cost of a Nano. Tough market indeed!
wilful is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed