Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th April 2015, 17:09   #1
Team-BHP Support

Rumour: More Maruti cars to get SmartPlay infotainment system

Maruti Suzuki introduced the SmartPlay infotainment system in the market when it launched the Z+ trim level of the Ciaz sedan. Now, according to media reports, the company is gearing up to equip more cars in its line-up with this system.

Rumour: More Maruti cars to get SmartPlay infotainment system-front-dashboard-shot-beige_rhdmanual.jpg

The Ertiga MPV, which is set to receive a facelift in a couple of months, is likely to be the next car to sport the SmartPlay infotainment system. Later in the year, the Swift hatchback and Dzire compact sedan are also likely to get it. Upcoming cars like the SX4 S-Cross cross hatch, YBA compact SUV and YRA hatchback are also likely to be fitted with the system. Like the Ciaz, all these vehicles are expected to get a Z+ trim level.

Rumour: More Maruti cars to get SmartPlay infotainment system-rhd_music-system_03.jpg

The SmartPlay system features a 7-inch touchscreen display, satellite navigation with voice commands, voice recognition and USB, AUX and Bluetooth connectivity. Up to 10 smartphones can be paired with the system and there is a display for the dial pad, phonebook and call logs. The system can be controlled remotely by using a Smartphone. Additionally, the screen doubles up as a display for the car's rear-view camera.

Source: Autocar India

Last edited by Aditya : 13th April 2015 at 19:14.
Aditya is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 14th April 2015, 15:00   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Rumour: More Maruti cars to get SmartPlay infotainment system

Shouldn't Maruti be solving the bugs with this touchscreen head-unit first, and then bring it to other cars? When Maruti works so hard to make reliable cars, why overlook this area? Here's my recent experience with the troublesome head-unit.

Related thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Sad that the OEM touchscreen scene still leaves a lot to be desired.

I finally got my hands on a Ciaz petrol (review will be up shortly). The single bug in the car was its troublesome head-unit. Simply playing music via my smartphone didn't post a problem.

However, ask the touchscreen to multi-task and it would go bonkers. For instance, while streaming music, if I received a call, about 10% of the time, the screen would go dead or get stuck in a start / stop loop (see video below). Similarly, while listening to music, if I engaged reverse gear (and the touchscreen became the reversing camera's display), about 10% of the time, it would continually switch on & off. The only solution was to wait for a couple of minutes and hope that things got back to normal.

Check this video I shot of the touchscreen acting up. I experienced this several times a day. Additionally, I found the touchscreen's response times to be incredibly sluggish!

https://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=NrOOWfqJdnQ
Old 14th April 2015, 15:18   #3
BHPian

Re: Rumour: More Maruti cars to get SmartPlay infotainment system

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Shouldn't Maruti be solving the bugs with this touchscreen head-unit first, and then bring it to other cars? When Maruti works so hard to make reliable cars, why overlook this area? Here's my recent experience with the troublesome head-unit.
IMO, the issues mentioned are that at the software end. Even the touchscreen lags can be improved drastically with the improvement of the GUI.

I think this move can get the masses equipped with the technology, which Maruti can further during services flash the current ROMs with improved GUI & bug fixes.

As far as I remember, even with Fiat, there was a firmware release of the BlueMe system on the Punto which solved a lot of issues faced by the people.

BUT, agreed with your point. Whats mentioned by me is damage control. Ideally, this should not roll out itself without prior testing.

Regards,
Rohan
rohansachar is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks