Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th April 2015, 17:50   #1
Team-BHP Support

Toyota Camry facelift spied in India Update: Now launched for 28.8 lakhs

Last year, we had reported the Toyota Camry facelift will be coming to India In 2015. Now the car has been spotted in the country.

Toyota Camry facelift spied in India Update: Now launched for 28.8 lakhs-cam1.jpg

The 2015 Camry was unveiled at the Moscow Auto Show, last year. It gets a number of cosmetic changes. The front fascia has been restyled and features new projector headlights, a revised grille with a chrome strip at the top, a reworked front bumper with integrated LED daytime running lights at both ends and a large hexagonal air dam with chrome inserts and fog lamps in the extreme corners. The side profile of the car remains unchanged.

Toyota Camry facelift spied in India Update: Now launched for 28.8 lakhs-cam2.jpg

Earlier images had indicated that the Camry gets a new rear bumper, a thinner chrome strip on the boot lid and LED inserts in the tail lamps.

Toyota Camry facelift spied in India Update: Now launched for 28.8 lakhs-cam3.jpg

The Camry facelift is expected to get a new 3-spoke multifunction steering wheel, new instrument cluster with a 4.2-inch MID and an updated infotainment system with a 6.1-inch touchscreen.

Toyota Camry facelift spied in India Update: Now launched for 28.8 lakhs-2015toyotacamry23.jpeg

The refreshed Camry is likely to retain the 2.5-litre petrol and hybrid engines from the current model.

Source: Motorbeam
Aditya is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 13th April 2015, 17:56   #2
BHPian

Re: Toyota Camry facelift spied in India

Mod Note : There are several spelling & grammatical errors in your posts. This negatively affects the forum experience for other readers.

Kindly ensure that you proof-read your posts prior to submission. Also, it would be a good idea to use spell-checkers.

Last edited by GTO : 14th April 2015 at 08:11.
YashD is offline   Received Infraction
Old 14th April 2015, 04:22   #3
BHPian

I hope it gets some safety features that's sorely lacking in the current trim on sale. A 10lakh Polo GT TSI, at one third the price has better safety features.
Contrapunto is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th April 2015, 11:50   #4
Senior - BHPian

Why this chrome overdose?
What Camry lacked vs the competition:

1) Fuel Efficient Diesel Engine
2) Lack of safety features.
If Toyota can tackle these, they have a winner on hand.
Old 14th April 2015, 11:51   #5
Team-BHP Support

Is it just me, or have they made it look like a big Etios from the outside?

Anyways, they won't succeed in increasing sales unless they get a diesel mill to India.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th April 2015, 12:00   #6
Senior - BHPian

I am loving the way the Camry design is going with every refresh. The new pre-facelift one looked very premium both inside & out but it seems Toyota is trying to go sporty with this one specially with the new grille. The Camry is slowly going from a car you would buy to a car you want. If only they managed the pricing better!
Old 14th April 2015, 12:31   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post

Anyways, they won't succeed in increasing sales unless they get a diesel mill to India.
They have.
I hated how similar the new Altis grill looked to the Etios. This seems like an extension of the Altis grill, but uglier.

BTW - since launching Altis, they have changed the Etios Grill to a 'non-smiling' face.
Old 14th April 2015, 12:47   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnabchak View Post
Why this chrome overdose?
What Camry lacked vs the competition:

1) Fuel Efficient Diesel Engine
2) Lack of safety features.
If Toyota can tackle these, they have a winner on hand.
IMO, more than the diesel and safety features (the Camry Hybrid comes with 4 airbags IIRC), Toyota needs to rework its pricing strategy. If they are able to price the hybrid competitively - it will be a sure shot winner in its segment.
Yes - it lacks a diesel engine, but most buyers will overlook it in favour of the fuel efficient hybrid.
Plus, it offers quality interiors, peace of mind, and with the reclining rear seats + soft suspension, it would be ideal for most chauffeur driven customers.

With the facelift, I hope they use it as an opportunity to look at reducing their pricing strategy.
lamborghini is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 14th April 2015, 13:01   #9
Senior - BHPian

Am I the only one who thinks that the front grill resembles the Elite i20? The front uni-brow like grill just doesn't seem tasteful IMO.

Why are Toyota even bothering to push sales of this car in India; it's not like the Camry has a diesel = it will not sell. In the last 6 months, the Camry has average ~41 units per month only while its capable yet expensive competitor from Skoda, has managed to sell 3 times as much.
S2!!! is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th April 2015, 13:02   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I agree! Even the Corolla looks like a bigger premium Etios. High time for Toyota to hire some designers.

Really a pointless car to be brought in to India. Toyota should concentrate on bringing a smaller car, which looks better, feels better and drives better.

Last edited by blue_pulsar : 14th April 2015 at 13:04.
Old 14th April 2015, 13:05   #11
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Damn, what's with that additional chrome strip on the bonnet? Toyota is overdoing the chrome accents on its Indian cars.

Quote:
The first thing I thought of is the Elite i20! There are way too many similarities: the headlamp shape & the kink against the bumper, how a big chrome logo sits over the grille, the air-dam shape (just like the i20 Active) etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S2!!! View Post
Why are Toyota even bothering to push sales of this car in India; it's not like the Camry has a diesel = it will not sell. In the last 6 months, the Camry has average ~41 units per month only while its capable yet expensive competitor from Skoda, has managed to sell 3 times as much.
It's the only other D2 sedan around (Sonata, Accord, Teana are all RIP). Plus, from Toyota's point-of-view, it's giving an upgrade option to Corolla owners (keeping them in the same family).

Last edited by GTO : 14th April 2015 at 13:08.
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th April 2015, 13:33   #12
Team-BHP Support

Toyota really messed up the Camry when they launched it. First of all only petrol was always going to be a big disadvantage. To top it off they removed features present in the lower Corolla Altis like rear curtain. They offered the Camry with only 2 airbags for a vehicle priced 30L. Majority of Camry's were chauffeur driven with owner at the back getting no safety features.

If you atleast pepper the car with features, you can get away by selling a petrol car with the Toyota badge.

Actually speaking I see more Hybrid Camry's than the regular ones. It's well loaded plus efficient. Only thing is absurd pricing vs the regular one.
Vid6639 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th April 2015, 13:48   #13
BHPian

The car looks like a dead fish with a gaping mouth.

And what's with all that chrome? Too garish. I believe a 30L car should be subtle and understated, just like the businessman it is meant to chauffeur. Not like a man who has been hit hard by his mid-life crisis.

Also, is it just me or the foglamps are placed a bit too far in? They'll be the first ones to give way even in case of a minor bump.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
It's the only other D2 sedan around (Sonata, Accord, Teana are all RIP). Plus, from Toyota's point-of-view, it's giving an upgrade option to Corolla owners (keeping them in the same family).
I doubt the new Sonata ever stood a chance against the Camry. Hyundais are exactly good at commanding premium pricing. It is slightly amusing considering international markets are more than willing to pay for cars like the Genesis; which costs almost twice as much.

The Accord had a fairly clean run in its time and the Teana was pretty much dead on arrival. I have seen more Teana taxis than private owned Teanas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
If you atleast pepper the car with features, you can get away by selling a petrol car with the Toyota badge.

Actually speaking I see more Hybrid Camry's than the regular ones. It's well loaded plus efficient. Only thing is absurd pricing vs the regular one.
They managed to sell a petrol Innova for crying out loud! A car meant to be a long distance tourer.

And absurd pricing seems to be Toyota's favorite game. The way the prices on the Innova and the Fortuner have shot up is proof.

Cheers!
Cartman

Last edited by Cartman : 14th April 2015 at 13:49. Reason: Three smileys. Edited to two :)
Old 14th April 2015, 13:49   #14
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

The facelifted Toyota Camry will be launched on 30th April 2015 in India.

Source: Autocar India
//M is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th April 2015, 14:56   #15
BHPian

Why is this way too different from American counterpart?
Look at the below images of 2015 Camry sold in US, images are from Toyota official website. LINK
Attached Thumbnails
Toyota Camry facelift spied in India Update: Now launched for 28.8 lakhs-camry1.jpg  

Toyota Camry facelift spied in India Update: Now launched for 28.8 lakhs-camry2.jpg  

Toyota Camry facelift spied in India Update: Now launched for 28.8 lakhs-camry3.jpg  

Toyota Camry facelift spied in India Update: Now launched for 28.8 lakhs-camry4.jpg  

treadmark is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks